Target stores to become Kmarts

• Please log in to reply
190 replies to this topic

#1 Riotproof

Posted 22 May 2020 - 10:14 AM

https://www.abc.net....verted/12275390

I must admit I am not surprised. Target has long been just so overpriced for the quality.

#2 ineedmorecoffee

Posted 22 May 2020 - 10:22 AM

We get a lot of our clothes from Target, so i'm not too happy to see that our only options at this price point will now be Kmart or Big W.

The quality at Kmart definitely matches the prices.

#3 CallMeFeral

Posted 22 May 2020 - 10:25 AM

Wow.
I'm not exactly surprised, I've long been feeling like they've lost their niche as kmarts prices are lower and the quality seems about the same. But it does feel like the end (or a downsize anyway) of an institution.

I was really hoping though that they would pick up the niche that kmart doesn't fill, and start stocking some of the good brands that are not expensive but that have been forced online (like jeans west, diana ferrari). Now that all kmart stuff is their own brand, but a lot of other brands can no longer afford their own retail outlets, I feel like there is a gap there. I know DJ's and so on do that, but those seem to be more expensive and upmarket brands - it would be nice if someone did it for normal brands.

#4 Bono25

Posted 22 May 2020 - 10:32 AM

I always buy tracky daks for the kids from target. They're warm and have ties, which my skinny need. Can never find normal, thick trackies at kmart

#5 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 22 May 2020 - 10:33 AM

This makes me sad, it’s the beginning of the end. But it’s not surprising, I’ve been unimpressed with our local Target for a while. It’s just a big clothes shop these days. Hardly anything else. At least Kmart has a lot of other products.

I will miss target country though, those country stores are always packed full of clearance items and bargains and the odd unique item. Obviously not good for their bottom line, but was great for us when we drive through Bairnsdale.

#6 Ellie bean

Oh no, I really love target :(

#7 IamOzgirl

Oh noes!

I am one that goes against the trend and brewer's target store clothes over Kmart (particularly Maternity!)

And my mum will be devo if her country target goes.

#8 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 22 May 2020 - 10:35 AM

View PostBono25, on 22 May 2020 - 10:32 AM, said:

I always buy tracky daks for the kids from target. They're warm and have ties, which my skinny need. Can never find normal, thick trackies at kmart

Yes, they have the best boys tracksuit pants!! We have about 8 pairs of them. They’re not big and baggy. They’re the only ones my son likes.

I also get all my work clothes from Target. They have nice simple blouses and pants.

#9 magic_marker

Posted 22 May 2020 - 10:40 AM

I like their children's clothing. Men's clothing is a bit blah.
Some of the women's clothing can be nice. I either buy when on a really good sale or wait for Clearance. Target got too pricey for what they were offering.

#10 Thylacine

Posted 22 May 2020 - 10:42 AM

Bummer. I'm another Target lover, their clothes fit my family so much better than Kmart or Big W.

#11 annodam

Posted 22 May 2020 - 10:49 AM

Rubbish quality & too expensive for what they have in stock.
Can't say I'm surprised, I hope my local one goes.
K-Mart should follow suit as well, another trash store!

Can't comment on Big W, don't really have one near me.

I shop online or H&M, TK Maxx, heaps better quality.

EFS:

Edited by annodam, 22 May 2020 - 10:51 AM.

#12 JomoMum

Posted 22 May 2020 - 10:50 AM

I buy most of my own clothes from Target, plus probably half the boys :(

Now we’ll have Best n Less, Big W and Kmart.

#13 Apageintime

Posted 22 May 2020 - 10:54 AM

I really prefer target over kmart of big w.. by a long way!

seems like I'm the only one though

#14 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 22 May 2020 - 10:56 AM

They have been planning this for a long time, I remember reading about to a year or so ago.

It makes sense for them as a company, kmart is far more profitable. Target hasn’t been able to compete with the other stores in that range for a long time.

Even exactly the same stuff as other stores is significantly expensive.

#15 Jane Jetson

Posted 22 May 2020 - 10:59 AM

This has made me realise how long it's been since I bought anything in Target. I think I might have stopped around the same time that they changed up their jeans department - I always used to buy from there and sometimes load up with a few things for the kids, but then they decided anyone size 16 and up only wanted skinny jeans, and I don't think I've been back in there since - no real reason to go.

It's a bit sad but even back then I was starting to think the quality was really dipping. Not that Kmart is better, mind you.

#16 nom_de_plume

Posted 22 May 2020 - 11:09 AM

Target quality has gone downhill over the past couple of years unfortunately. It used to be great and I still buy school uniform stuff there and find that to be good quality. I still have work clothes, towels and bedding I bought 10+ years ago.

I find Kmart terrible quality for clothes and homeware items. Most if the stuff they stock is cheap and tacky. They do have okay stationery and party goods, and sometimes they have good sales on toys though.

ETA - I hope this means Kmart will stock some of the makeup brands like NYX, The Balm and Chi Chi like Target did. They also had good 40-50% off sales.

Edited by nom_de_plume, 22 May 2020 - 11:15 AM.

#17 Soontobegran

Posted 22 May 2020 - 11:09 AM

View Postannodam, on 22 May 2020 - 10:49 AM, said:

Rubbish quality & too expensive for what they have in stock.
Can't say I'm surprised, I hope my local one goes.
K-Mart should follow suit as well, another trash store!

Can't comment on Big W, don't really have one near me.

I shop online or H&M, TK Maxx, heaps better quality.

EFS:

Remove all those stores and you've wiped out where very many people need to buy their children's ( and theirs) clothes from.
The stores you have mentioned are generally twice the price and to be honest as someone who has shopped at H&M several times the quality does not match the price.

#18 Soontobegran

Posted 22 May 2020 - 11:10 AM

I love Target, I shop a lot for myself and my grandchildren there. I find the quality marginally better than Kmart and I will miss them if they aren't there.

#19 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 22 May 2020 - 11:10 AM

I used to really like Target. 10-15 years ago, it was one of my favourite shops. I still have some Target coats that I bought 18 years ago, they are awesome! But definitely in the last 5-10 years, quality has gone down, the stock is a bit more hit-and-miss and the whole vibe was off. Disappointed if they meld into Kmart, but it's not a complete surprise.

I am not a fan of Kmart. Cheap, disposable stock which is often poorly made and meant to be obsolete/useless within a short time frame. There is nothing about that store that is helpful to people in lower socio-economic conditions as it simply encourages short-term buys that constantly need to be replaced. p*sses me off.

#20 Soontobegran

Posted 22 May 2020 - 11:12 AM

View PostApageintime, on 22 May 2020 - 10:54 AM, said:

I really prefer target over kmart of big w.. by a long way!

seems like I'm the only one though
No your aren't. :)

#21 Tokra

Posted 22 May 2020 - 11:18 AM

"This is a time where corporate Australia needs to show some licence. They make a lot of money, they make billions out of Australians, and the reality is that they want to turn their back on the most vulnerable, just goes to show corporate Australia has lost their way, morally," Mr Littleproud said.

"I think Australians should vote with their wallets and not go near them."

Wouldn't this have the same outcome as what is planned anyway? lol.

#22 literally nobody

Posted 22 May 2020 - 11:22 AM

I don’t mind Target stuff. Much better clothes still than KMart. KMart clothing cannot get any more cheap. I refuse to buy anything from KMart that’s Anko brand, it’s just completely crap.

#23 eponee

Posted 22 May 2020 - 11:23 AM

Does anyone know which stores are going to be affected?

#24 71Cath

Posted 22 May 2020 - 11:24 AM

I much prefer Target plus size range to Kmart, so that is disappointing.

My local Westfield has a target and Kmart - I assume the target will close as we surely don't need 2 targets.

#25 gravity1

Posted 22 May 2020 - 11:26 AM

I really hope our Target Country store doesn’t close down. Much prefer target over Kmart.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.