Shoes and bags

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 3babygirls

Posted 19 May 2020 - 07:52 AM

Where do you keep your shoes and the kids bags?

I swear everyone in our house just dumps their shoes and bags where ever (including me..)

I make an effort for shoes to go upstairs into cupboards, but they never seem to really make it there. The same with the kids preschool bags...

So where do you keep your shoes and bags?

#2 AdelTwins

Posted 19 May 2020 - 07:57 AM

At the front door on an Ikea shoe rack. Shoes on the rack, school/childcare bags on the top.

https://www.ikea.com...ASABEgJlwPD_BwE

#3 onetrick

Posted 19 May 2020 - 07:58 AM

We have one of those cube storage things near the front door- 4 boxes for shoes and work stuff/ bags go in the top.4. Printer sits on top. I didnt think it would work but it really does!

#4 blackcat20

Posted 19 May 2020 - 07:58 AM

Shoes live by the front door, by the back door, under the kitchen bench and in the walk in. My bag lives on a chair at the dining table. Kids daycare bag lives there too during the week, or upstairs on the weekend.

#5 3babygirls

Posted 19 May 2020 - 08:35 AM

AdelTwins, on 19 May 2020 - 07:57 AM, said:

At the front door on an Ikea shoe rack. Shoes on the rack, school/childcare bags on the top.

https://www.ikea.com...ASABEgJlwPD_BwE

Ooh that is a good one! I'll have to look whether it might fit next to our stairs.

#6 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 19 May 2020 - 10:27 AM

We have a shoe rack for shoes, or a tub. That’s for kids shoes. Our shoes go in our wardrobe.
For bags, we have a hall table that has drawers up top and  a shelf below, bags go in the shelf below. The hall table is a bit like this https://www.livingel...AiABEgK-ifD_BwE

#7 Silverstreak

Posted 19 May 2020 - 10:36 AM

We have a small wooden bookcase near the kitchen that serves as a shoe rack! It has three shelves, so one for DS, one for me and one for DH. It's handy because the top of the bookcase houses odds and ends like picture frames, tissue box, knick knacks etc.

DS also has a pair of gumboots and a pair of flip flops by the back door, for wet and muddy weather.

For bags, we have a bigger set of shelves and my handbag goes on this, as well as DH's wallet.

DS' school bag goes in a little nook between two cabinets, so it's out of the way and his lunchbox and food containers go on the buffet next to the nook. On school mornings I assemble everything on the dining table that's near the nook and the buffet. We don't have lots of space and I like things tidy, so everything needs a designated spot!

Edited by Silverstreak, 19 May 2020 - 10:39 AM.

#8 Gumbette

Posted 19 May 2020 - 10:44 AM

We have an Ikea Hemnes sideboard inside the front door for DH's shoes as he parks on the street and comes through the front, bag hooks above it for jackets.  Hooks on the other side of the door for school bags.  Keys & wallets go inside the drawer.

I also have an Ikea shoe rack in the garage next to my car.  

We are a strictly shoes off inside the house family, so shoes live next to wherever your come in.

https://www.ikea.com...stain-00352851/

Edited by Gumbette, 19 May 2020 - 11:35 AM.

#9 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 19 May 2020 - 11:18 AM

We have a re-purposed (it was originally for housing a stereo and that sort of thing) long low wooden cupboard, shoes go it it and bags go on top. It still looks a bit messy, but at least it’s messy in one spot rather than all over the house.

#10 rosie28

Posted 19 May 2020 - 11:26 AM

We have an area set up in our garage with a bench seat, shoe storage, hooks for bags and coats, baskets for things like swimming, gloves and beanies and sports gear, and shelves where we keep stuff like sunscreen, nappy bag stuff, bug spray, hats and sunscreen. Basically everything including shoes gets dropped on the way in and anything you might need on the way out is there. Our “everyday” shoes never enter the house.

#11 MadMarchMasterchef

Posted 19 May 2020 - 11:42 AM

We have a couple of storage cubes in the hallway for shoes.  
Above them is a coatrack and the school bags, my nappy bag and DHs backpack he takes to work go there.

#12 Jane Jetson

Posted 19 May 2020 - 11:51 AM

Shoes live in a heap by the front door, or under the sideboard there, where we take them off when we come in (I'm very anti shoes on in the house).

I am the main culprit. Every now and again I move them all to the walk-in where they're supposed to live, and then slowly they migrate back to the front door, as I wear them. It's a lost cause really.

My handbags live in the main bedroom (I usually only have one on the go at any given time), evening bags go in the family room cupboard, and DD1's handbag goes wherever she dumps it.

#13 CrankyM

Posted 19 May 2020 - 12:07 PM

I'm terrible for this. Mine tend to live by the couch I use next to my bookshelves. The kids are "supposed" to put theirs in a cube thing that is hidden behind the couch. Reality is that they usually end up near the door. School bags have a hook to be hung up on that is on the kid's bedroom door (it's just one of those ones you hand over the door) but usually get dumped next to the couch. (Our living area is straight through the front door which is a glass sliding door).

Honestly, I've just about given up. As long as they are not dumped in the walkway I'm like meh. Though I do like that IKEA shoe rack. Pity I don't live anywhere near an IKEA and the freight here for them is exorbitant.

Edited by CrankyM, 19 May 2020 - 12:08 PM.

#14 3babygirls

Posted 19 May 2020 - 02:47 PM

rosie28, on 19 May 2020 - 11:26 AM, said:

We have an area set up in our garage with a bench seat, shoe storage, hooks for bags and coats, baskets for things like swimming, gloves and beanies and sports gear, and shelves where we keep stuff like sunscreen, nappy bag stuff, bug spray, hats and sunscreen. Basically everything including shoes gets dropped on the way in and anything you might need on the way out is there. Our “everyday” shoes never enter the house.

This is what I would love but we don't use our garage as a garage and we don't come in and out of the house through it. Would be a lot easier if we did!

#15 MsLaurie

Posted 19 May 2020 - 03:36 PM

I have a big basket next to my armchair. I was the shocker for leaving a trail, oops. The basket isn’t very aesthetic but at least it’s contained!

#16 lizzzard

Posted 19 May 2020 - 03:42 PM

Many homes in Canada have a 'mudroom' at/off the entrance purpose build for storing shoes, coats, and other paraphenalia required to go outdoors in winter. They are awesome for keeping the house clear of it shoes etc.

#17 rosie28

Posted 19 May 2020 - 03:43 PM

3babygirls, on 19 May 2020 - 02:47 PM, said:

This is what I would love but we don't use our garage as a garage and we don't come in and out of the house through it. Would be a lot easier if we did!

My husband would love to use the garage as a workshop and place to dump his crap (though I acknowledge there are many more thoroughly worthwhile things to use the space for). It is a condition of our continued marriage that it is used as a garage instead haha!

The “drop zone” works well. I also have an “out” box, where anything that needs to leave the house goes (mail, library books, things we’ve borrowed from family, presents for the next few weeks of kids parties etc), and a donation box, so anything that is to be donated goes there straight away.

#18 Popper

Posted 19 May 2020 - 03:47 PM

Antique cupboard by the back door (which we use as main entry/exit). Cupboard is mirrored and has hooks inside for bags, scarves and hats. Shoe shelf around a metre high and drawers under that.

Best of all it is beautiful and when the door is closed you see nothing of the stuff inside!

#19 kimasa

Posted 19 May 2020 - 04:24 PM

Both in wardrobes.

#20 CrankyM

Posted 19 May 2020 - 04:45 PM

lizzzard, on 19 May 2020 - 03:42 PM, said:

Many homes in Canada have a 'mudroom' at/off the entrance purpose build for storing shoes, coats, and other paraphenalia required to go outdoors in winter. They are awesome for keeping the house clear of it shoes etc.

If I ever build a house this will be a must have.

If you google mudroom you get a number of images that might inspire you OP. I like the ones on this page: https://thearchitect...rage-ideas-diy/

Unfortunately the layout of my house wouldn't work for this.

Edited by CrankyM, 19 May 2020 - 04:57 PM.

#21 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 19 May 2020 - 04:47 PM

There is a rack in a cupboard just inside the garage - DH puts most of his shoes there.

The girls have a "school cupboard" that has shelves, hooks and boxes . Shoes in boxes on the floor (they have 2 boxes each), the lowest shelf is for bags, the top shelf (waist height) is for sundry (books, pencils, flute, etc). There is a corkboard along the back wall for notes etc. There is a large hook on the side walls - that's for school bags. There are small hooks on inside of the door for hats, small bags, etc. My biggest gripe is that they rarely close the cupboard doors, drives me bonkers!

My dress shoes are usually inside my wardrobe. But my hiking/walking shoes and my joggers live in the garage.

#22 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 19 May 2020 - 04:49 PM

rosie28, on 19 May 2020 - 11:26 AM, said:

We have an area set up in our garage with a bench seat, shoe storage, hooks for bags and coats, baskets for things like swimming, gloves and beanies and sports gear, and shelves where we keep stuff like sunscreen, nappy bag stuff, bug spray, hats and sunscreen.
we have plastic tubs set up like this in our laundry. Pretty much one tub per activity.

#23 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 19 May 2020 - 05:08 PM

We had an Ikea Kallax 1 x 5 laying along the hallway. We had drona boxes to put the bags into and shelves inside the other ones which we put shoes into then the kids would sit on top to out on their shoes. We also had some hooks above to hang hats and jackets. So Kallax was Bag box/ shoe shelves/ Bag box/ shoes shelves / Bag Box.

That is what we did when the kids were younger. Now they are 10/12/14yrs and take their bags to their room to do homework.

Edited by Veritas Vinum Arte, 19 May 2020 - 05:14 PM.

#24 spr_maiden

Posted 19 May 2020 - 05:38 PM

We have a retro phone table/bench seat,  with a crate underneath for school shoes, runners,  etc. Next to that is a shelf with a bag spot each for kids, a basket each for school swimming gear.

Near back door is a shoe rack for slip ons, and DH's and my shoes that we throw on when going downstairs etc.
There's a hook there for my bag and enviro bags that need to be taken back to car.

Ed. Hit enter too soon.

Edited by spr_maiden, 19 May 2020 - 05:41 PM.

#25 -Emissary-

Posted 22 May 2020 - 11:56 PM

We have two ikea book shelves at the front and a dozen shoe boxes for DH’s sneakers. We have over 50 pairs of shoes so need storage..

We haven’t worked out a system for the bag yet. DS is expected to take his school bag to his room.

Edited by -Emissary-, 22 May 2020 - 11:56 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.