Weird call

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 17 May 2020 - 01:50 PM

Mobile rung with a mobile number I didn’t recognise, but as as Sunday morning I answered.

It seemed to be a prerecorded message and I caught the words Chinese Embassy before a message in Chinese started to play.

Anyone else getting these strange calls?

#2 Elly_Bells

Posted 17 May 2020 - 01:53 PM

Yep, I've had one of those before. I just blocked it.

#3 Bereckii

Posted 17 May 2020 - 01:53 PM

It's a scam call

https://www.google.c...518-p4zg5i.html

#4 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 17 May 2020 - 01:54 PM

My next action once I hung up was to block caller.

#5 born.a.girl

Posted 17 May 2020 - 02:01 PM

Every second time I answer a call with a number I don't recognise, I regret it.

Missed a few from Mauritiania last month, which I doubt were anything to do with me.

I also missed one from Antarctica last month but for a few reasons suspect that was a wrong number from a list.

Tricky when you have calls coming via a switchboard, though. When we had parents in aged care we had to answer calls on the offchance it was about them.

I figure if it's a genuine call now they'll leave a voice message or send a text.

Nice to have ditched the landline.

#6 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 17 May 2020 - 02:04 PM

meh, I just hang up and keep going about life.

I put it down to automatic digit-dialing by a marketing/scam company, so I just helped to cost them money by answering a call and hanging up. Takes less than 2 seconds of my life.

Actually, most times I don't answer - I work on the principle that if it's important, people will leave a message. Otherwise who cares who is calling me.

#7 CallMeFeral

Posted 17 May 2020 - 02:10 PM

Yeah I get them all the time (block each one but they keep coming).

#8 Lime-Polka-Dot

Posted 17 May 2020 - 02:13 PM

I've had them on and off for about 2 years.

#9 just roses

Posted 17 May 2020 - 02:19 PM

A couple of days I ago I (deliberately) missed calls from Gabon, Lithuania and Spain.

#10 Ivy Ivy

Posted 17 May 2020 - 02:22 PM

Like a PP, I just hang up.  My husband goes ape at every one of these, yelling, telling them off.  For me it's not even worth getting ruffled.
On a similar note, sometimes my mobile rings, and if my whole immediate family are around (i.e. so I know it's not a call about an accident etc.), and I don't want to talk to anyone, I just let it ring out.  My husband and daughter are very uncomfortable with this.  They jump up to answer it, they yell "your phone is ringing," and are agitated that I'm not answering  it.

They don't seem to realise a phone is a tool for your convenience, not something you have to be a slave to.

#11 Odd-1-Out

Posted 17 May 2020 - 03:43 PM

What do they get out of calling?

#12 No Drama Please

Posted 17 May 2020 - 03:52 PM

Just like most scams you’re casting a net out in the hope that eventually you can get someone you can reel in.

#13 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 17 May 2020 - 04:08 PM

View PostOdd-1-Out, on 17 May 2020 - 03:43 PM, said:

What do they get out of calling?
if 1% of 100,000 calls fall for their scam and part with money, that's 1000 people who they are able to fleece.

#14 got my tinsel on

Posted 17 May 2020 - 04:26 PM

They're onto you, VVA.

#15 Jingleflea

Posted 17 May 2020 - 05:21 PM

If the number isn't in my phone I don't answer it.
If it's actually important for me, they'll leave a message or ring my landline(which also has caller ID).

#16 Grrrumbles

Posted 17 May 2020 - 05:32 PM

I don’t block because they spoof numbers. I don’t actually know anyone overseas that would be calling me so it is easy to ignore.

But my husband does not answer the phone to local numbers and it drives me crazy. Often it is a medical related call, rescheduling an appointment, discussing test results etc so it is really hard to get back to the right person.

#17 Coffeegirl

Posted 17 May 2020 - 05:51 PM

View PostJingleflea, on 17 May 2020 - 05:21 PM, said:

If the number isn't in my phone I don't answer it.
If it's actually important for me, they'll leave a message or ring my landline(which also has caller ID).

I’m the same with both work and personal phones.      Due to the nature of my job 99% of the people I need to talk to are contacts in my phone.  

for the other 1% - if they can’t be bothered to leave a message, then it obviously wasn’t important enough to have rung me in the first place.

#18 all-of-us

Posted 17 May 2020 - 07:15 PM

If it was the Chinese Embassy that call may have been trying to do a trade agreement with you

Seriously though this scam has netted thousands of dollars as it is seeking out Chinese in Australia - there was info last year on this in the newspapers

#19 PizzaSteve

Posted 17 May 2020 - 07:18 PM

I got a prerecorded message in Chinese today too - but went to voicemail so heard it later. Was from a mobile - will just ignore!

#20 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 17 May 2020 - 07:39 PM

There are a few like this. I had a message that was in Mandarin.  Played it to my friend who speaks Mandarin and it claimed I had to pay extra tax or I would be deported! Same friend got one herself that claimed her Visa was expired and she would be deported if she didn't pay.

#21 ~elle~

Posted 18 May 2020 - 12:00 PM

I  got a few on my mobile - didn't answer them - never left any messages and came up as Serbia. I don't answer calls I don't recognise. Anyone local will leave as message.

#22 cstar

Posted 18 May 2020 - 06:47 PM

View PostGrrrumbles, on 17 May 2020 - 05:32 PM, said:

I don’t block because they spoof numbers.

I get the same numbers calling me over and over again, I always block them but sometimes I get a missed call message on my phone from the same number 3-4 times in one day

#23 *melrose*

Posted 23 May 2020 - 07:17 PM

I get this scam all the time. It's annoying.

#24 Bono25

Posted 23 May 2020 - 07:28 PM

The last week I've been getting calls at 11 every morning. Very annoying when I'm on a work call at the same time. The only one I heard claimed it was ebay about a Mac book pro we'd supposidly ordered

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.