Jump to content

What do you think of these new protocols - newborn photos?


  • Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#1 Tessied

Posted 14 May 2020 - 05:33 PM

Hey all,

I'm a newborn photographer and have been thinking what will happen once I re-open.  We've all been discussing this within the industry and I'd like your opinion as MUMS about what you'd find good/bad/acceptable/crap.

-  Temperature testing on entering studio

-   If a small studio, sitting in another room while baby is having photos taken (still visible from where you are)

-  Covid safe app must be downloaded

-  Masks for me,  or just parents, or both.  (JUST TO BE CLEAR, I WILL PERSONALLY WEAR A MASK, I WAS JUST LISTENING ALL PROTOCOLS THAT HAD BEEN DISCUSSED WITHIN OUR INDUSTRY)

- Shorter, quicker sessions with baby just wrapped

- Three days between sessions

- Dad and other kids leave the studio once family shots done and come back when done.


Any thoughts?  These are just brain storms so happy to hear anything!

Edited by Tessied, 15 May 2020 - 12:25 PM.


#2 catasaurus

Posted 14 May 2020 - 05:54 PM

 Tessied, on 14 May 2020 - 05:33 PM, said:

-  Covid safe app must be downloaded


It is against the law to force anyone else to download the Covid safe app.

#3 Acidulous Osprey

Posted 14 May 2020 - 06:01 PM

Three days between sessions?  So one client family every 3 days?  How will that impact your income?  It's also pretty pointless as what will the three days accomplish?

I also don't see the point of the rest of the family leaving the studio for some of the time.

#4 amdirel

Posted 14 May 2020 - 06:02 PM

-  Temperature testing on entering studio.
Fine.

-   If a small studio, sitting in another room while baby is having photos taken (still visible from where you are).
Lol no. Why would a brand new parent leave their newborn?

-  Covid safe app must be downloaded.
Lol no.

-  Masks for me,  or just parents, or both.
If you must, it's overkill if you ask me though.

- Shorter, quicker sessions with baby just wrapped.
I don't think that'll make too much difference?

- Three days between sessions.
Why?

- Dad and other kids leave the studio once family shots done and come back when done.
Lol no. Why dad?

#5 No Drama Please

Posted 14 May 2020 - 06:12 PM

Yeah I’d be happy with the temp check and if you want masks I’d wear one but nothing else to be honest. Definitely leaving the newborn baby wouldn’t be on my radar! And as for making dad and other kids leave, I’d rather just wait till we could make it a more fun and relaxing experience for all of us to get photos done TBH.

#6 Tessied

Posted 14 May 2020 - 06:13 PM

 Acidulous Osprey, on 14 May 2020 - 06:01 PM, said:

Three days between sessions?  So one client family every 3 days?  How will that impact your income?  It's also pretty pointless as what will the three days accomplish?

I also don't see the point of the rest of the family leaving the studio for some of the time.

re the rest of the family - it's because it decreases the amount of people in a small space, and also small kids are hard to control when it comes to touching stuff.

#7 Tessied

Posted 14 May 2020 - 06:15 PM

 amdirel, on 14 May 2020 - 06:02 PM, said:

-  Temperature testing on entering studio.
Fine.

-   If a small studio, sitting in another room while baby is having photos taken (still visible from where you are).
Lol no. Why would a brand new parent leave their newborn?

-  Covid safe app must be downloaded.
Lol no.

-  Masks for me,  or just parents, or both.
If you must, it's overkill if you ask me though.

- Shorter, quicker sessions with baby just wrapped.
I don't think that'll make too much difference?

- Three days between sessions.
Why?

- Dad and other kids leave the studio once family shots done and come back when done.
Lol no. Why dad?


Dad because most mums I have are breastfeeding so may need to feed the baby and dads almost always take the siblings out to the park anyway.  

Three days so that it's not one family after the other, mostly peace of mind for others, I don't think it makes much difference.

Shorter sessions because the longer you spend in a room the higher the chance of spreading anything.

 No Drama Please, on 14 May 2020 - 06:12 PM, said:

Yeah I’d be happy with the temp check and if you want masks I’d wear one but nothing else to be honest. Definitely leaving the newborn baby wouldn’t be on my radar! And as for making dad and other kids leave, I’d rather just wait till we could make it a more fun and relaxing experience for all of us to get photos done TBH.

I would too but newborns are within the first 2-3 weeks so who knows how long this crap will be going on for!

#8 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 14 May 2020 - 06:15 PM

-  Temperature testing on entering studio - sure, not a good indicator but sure.

-   If a small studio, sitting in another room while baby is having photos taken (still visible from where you are) - hell no, I wouldn’t go near a photographer who asked that.

-  Covid safe app must be downloaded - this is illegal.

-  Masks for me,  or just parents, or both. - if you want, I think overkill but if you feel better then go ahead.

- Shorter, quicker sessions with baby just wrapped - I don’t think it makes that much difference unless you plan for it to be under the magical 15 minutes.

- Three days between sessions - no idea what the thought process is behind this but seems odd.

- Dad and other kids leave the studio once family shots done and come back when done. - another rule that seems overkill but I guess you could put it out there as a suggestion.

#9 Ernegirl

Posted 14 May 2020 - 06:16 PM

Good ventilation.

#10 lonestranger

Posted 14 May 2020 - 06:18 PM

You could figure out a safe capacity for your studio based on square meterage?

Regarding the 3 days, I understand this is the safe time period for the virus to 'die' from surfaces. My workplace is considering this option for certain facilities as a safer alternative than disinfecting an entire room after each use.

#11 Tessied

Posted 14 May 2020 - 06:20 PM

 lonestranger, on 14 May 2020 - 06:18 PM, said:

You could figure out a safe capacity for your studio based on square meterage?

Regarding the 3 days, I understand this is the safe time period for the virus to 'die' from surfaces. My workplace is considering this option for certain facilities as a safer alternative than disinfecting an entire room after each use.

Maths isn't my strong point, heh.    The distance from my working area to the furthest away chair is 1.7m.

 Ernegirl, on 14 May 2020 - 06:16 PM, said:

Good ventilation.

Good point, not sure how to achieve this though.

#12 Julie3Girls

Posted 14 May 2020 - 06:21 PM

-  Temperature testing on entering studio
I’d accept it.
Probably would also expect hand sanitiser on entry to the studio.
I would expect a condition of the session going ahead being all family members are healthy - the standard at the moment “please call if anyone coming is unwell in any way, so we can reschedule the session”

-   If a small studio, sitting in another room while baby is having photos taken (still visible from where you are)
Probably not .. most parents would probably want one parent to stay near a newborn.

-  Covid safe app must be downloaded
Don’t think you are allowed? Also I think a photography session would be remembered if they needed to list contacts. And you would presumably have a list of clients so you would be able to list them as contacts if necessary. So don’t really see the necessity.

-  Masks for me,  or just parents, or both.
Would accept that if you insist, but they wouldn’t be able to wear them in photos anyway.

- Shorter, quicker sessions with baby just wrapped
As an option, some might prefer that as I presume it would be priced lower. Some families might be happy with just a few newborn photos.

- Three days between sessions
Don’t see the need for this.  I would make sure there was enough time between sessions so that cleaning could be done, but I don’t see the reasons for 3 days?

- Dad and other kids leave the studio once family shots done and come back when done.
If you are in a studio, I don’t think it is unreasonable to ask family to wait in the next room once they are done, with one parent remaining for the baby.  



#13 #notallcats

Posted 14 May 2020 - 06:23 PM

If you want to reassure parents, I'd probably do the temp taking and have some blurb about cleaning protocol between clients, masks/gloves available on request, minimum personal contact, etc.

The app won't be necessary as you will have the client's details, and vice versa.

Leaving the room while still being able to see would be fine with me but I could see many wouldn't like it.

#14 Tessied

Posted 14 May 2020 - 06:23 PM

 Julie3Girls, on 14 May 2020 - 06:21 PM, said:

-  Temperature testing on entering studio
I’d accept it.
Probably would also expect hand sanitiser on entry to the studio.
I would expect a condition of the session going ahead being all family members are healthy - the standard at the moment “please call if anyone coming is unwell in any way, so we can reschedule the session”

-   If a small studio, sitting in another room while baby is having photos taken (still visible from where you are)
Probably not .. most parents would probably want one parent to stay near a newborn.

-  Covid safe app must be downloaded
Don’t think you are allowed? Also I think a photography session would be remembered if they needed to list contacts. And you would presumably have a list of clients so you would be able to list them as contacts if necessary. So don’t really see the necessity.

-  Masks for me,  or just parents, or both.
Would accept that if you insist, but they wouldn’t be able to wear them in photos anyway.

- Shorter, quicker sessions with baby just wrapped
As an option, some might prefer that as I presume it would be priced lower. Some families might be happy with just a few newborn photos.

- Three days between sessions
Don’t see the need for this.  I would make sure there was enough time between sessions so that cleaning could be done, but I don’t see the reasons for 3 days?

- Dad and other kids leave the studio once family shots done and come back when done.
If you are in a studio, I don’t think it is unreasonable to ask family to wait in the next room once they are done, with one parent remaining for the baby.  

Good point, could just have one adult in studio at any given time unless photos are being taken of them.

#15 Julie3Girls

Posted 14 May 2020 - 06:25 PM

 Tessied, on 14 May 2020 - 06:23 PM, said:



Good point, could just have one adult in studio at any given time unless photos are being taken of them.
It would be easy to justify - fewer people in a small space the better.  And less distractions during photos.

#16 Kallie88

Posted 14 May 2020 - 06:27 PM

I think you'd be better off talking to families about whether they are self isolating or not, if they are the risk is likely to be from you to them rather than the other way around. So it would make sense for you to wear a mask. 3 days is fine, though I'd expect you to have done some cleaning of surfaces anyway. Everything else seems kinda unnecessary to me, I wouldn't leave my newborn in another room, dh usually takes the other kids when their bits are done anyway. I would not download the app for it. I also think you'd want to consider pricing if the sessions are quicker/ shorter/ not offering as much

#17 born.a.girl

Posted 14 May 2020 - 06:34 PM

No to the covid app.  The app, which I haven't yet, but probably will download, has its strength in letting you /them know when you've been in a situation with strangers you don't know from a bar of soap - like public transport etc.

I would think it acceptable for people to commit to advise if you if anyone who came into the studio tested positive within x days of being there.   You would obviously be amongst their contacts anyway and it's hardly one they're going to forget, but I don't think getting them to sign to agree is a bad thing.

Yeah, like pps, only one person in the room other than the baby. That's perfectly reasonable if all you're doing is newborn photos and it's a tiny space.

Given the size of the space, face masks could help you both feel protected from each other's coughing, in case that happens.

All the rest of the info about cleaning etc sure, but I'd only be making sure you had a gap long enough to air the room, and clean all of the surfaces.  I don't know if there's any guidance on this, at this stage, is there?

#18 Dianalynch

Posted 14 May 2020 - 06:54 PM

Have a Covid safe work plan in place, get advice from your safety regulator, which might cover the following:

Have hand sanitiser available for use on entry to the studio

either wash your hands or use sanitiser yourself frequently

measure the size of your studio, length * width = x square metres, then figure out occupancy (is it still 1 person per 4 square metres? So for baby, yourself and a parent you need 12 square metres minimum, ie 3m * 4m)

conditions of entry, that people must not be unwell etc while attending, or have been unwell in last 14 days without a clear Covid test

practice social distancing in your studio - keep 1.5m away from Bub and parent as much as possible

clean your studio after each client

And whatever else the safety regulator mandates for small businesses like yours

#19 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 14 May 2020 - 07:04 PM

I’d do one family per day.  No returning for further sessions.

As a photographer I’d wear a mask, to protect myself, but not expect the family to since they’re being photographed.

After each session I’d sterilise they studio top to bottom

No props to be used that can’t be hot-washed after each session or wiped down with alcohol wipes. Might have to get families to BYO a fancy rug or blanket.

Waiting room also has to be sterilised between visits.

BYO toddler snacks and whatever else you use to get a smile.

And maybe focus on older-baby photos. I’ve seem
Some fabulous smiley baby photos from about 6 months old. So cute.

#20 Tessied

Posted 14 May 2020 - 07:07 PM

 Dianalynch, on 14 May 2020 - 06:54 PM, said:

Have a Covid safe work plan in place, get advice from your safety regulator, which might cover the following:

Have hand sanitiser available for use on entry to the studio

either wash your hands or use sanitiser yourself frequently

measure the size of your studio, length * width = x square metres, then figure out occupancy (is it still 1 person per 4 square metres? So for baby, yourself and a parent you need 12 square metres minimum, ie 3m * 4m)

conditions of entry, that people must not be unwell etc while attending, or have been unwell in last 14 days without a clear Covid test

practice social distancing in your studio - keep 1.5m away from Bub and parent as much as possible

clean your studio after each client

And whatever else the safety regulator mandates for small businesses like yours

Can't keep distance from baby, it's posed newborn so I will have to handle baby.

#21 Bono25

Posted 14 May 2020 - 07:10 PM

Not way would I leave my new born alone with a stranger after a couple of weeks.
I would want to know if you are going to be touching the baby, or if it's just the parent. I would be uncomfortable with you touching the baby without appropriate ppe

#22 Tessied

Posted 14 May 2020 - 07:11 PM

 Bono25, on 14 May 2020 - 07:10 PM, said:

Not way would I leave my new born alone with a stranger after a couple of weeks.
I would want to know if you are going to be touching the baby, or if it's just the parent. I would be uncomfortable with you touching the baby without appropriate ppe

Yep touching the baby.

#23 RichardParker

Posted 14 May 2020 - 07:23 PM

 catasaurus, on 14 May 2020 - 05:54 PM, said:

It is against the law to force anyone else to download the Covid safe app.

It's not forcing - it's just a condition of service.  Kind of like the requirement for immunisation before you send kids to daycare isn't forcing immunisation.  You can opt out of the jab and opt out of the service.

The point of the app is to be able to trace contacts AFTER someone has tested positive - if one of your clients tests positive two days after attending your studio, that's something you really need to know.  I don't think it's an unreasonable requirement.

As for the other stuff - I think your clients will be more worried about you giving the virus to their child, rather than them giving it to you - so I don't think having the parent in another room would be helpful in terms of attracting clients back.  It would also make me nervous to not be in the same room when another adult is having close contact with the baby.  

It's a tricky one.  Is it possible to just have the parent having close contact with the child?  The photographer stands back and directs the parent to move the baby into the optimal position, rather than the photographer doing it?

Edited by RichardParker, 14 May 2020 - 07:30 PM.


#24 Crazyone26989

Posted 14 May 2020 - 07:28 PM

I wouldn’t leave my newborn alone, wouldn’t want the photographer touching them and would expect the studio to be thoroughly cleaned between shoots.

#25 blimkybill

Posted 14 May 2020 - 07:36 PM

 Tessied, on 14 May 2020 - 05:33 PM, said:

Hey all,

I'm a newborn photographer and have been thinking what will happen once I re-open.  We've all been discussing this within the industry and I'd like your opinion as MUMS about what you'd find good/bad/acceptable/crap.

-  Temperature testing on entering studio
Possibly OK but I don't think this is a very effective intervention, apparently lots of false negatives and false positives.

-   If a small studio, sitting in another room while baby is having photos taken (still visible from where you are)
No, I would make sure the room is big enough for at least 3 people and always have a parent in the room

-  Covid safe app must be downloaded
No, many people will object. Besides, you have the names and contact details of everyone who comes in. So it's not necessary in covering contact tracing of your environment

-  Masks for me,  or just parents, or both.
Mask just for you is a good idea, as you will probably be close to the child and leaning over it. Not for parents though, you can just keep a good distance from them

- Shorter, quicker sessions with baby just wrapped
Yes that's a good idea

- Three days between sessions
I don't see the point of this. You should clean the surfaces and air the room between customers but no need to wait a particular length of time.

- Dad and other kids leave the studio once family shots done and come back when done.
Possibly. main thing is the number of people in the studio should not exceed 1 per 4 square metres at any time. But I think if you can meet that, then this one is not really necessary.  Just keep the whole session reasonably short if possible.


Any thoughts?  These are just brain storms so happy to hear anything!
Other thoughts: ask people to wash hands or use hand sanitiser on arrival





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users


    Bing (1)
 

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

 
Advertisement
 

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement
 
 
 

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

 

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

 
Advertisement
 
 
Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.