A cleaning thread - cutlery

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

Poll: Cutlery order (261 member(s) have cast votes)

What order do you have your cutlery in when in a drawer? (All are left to right. If your drawer is arranged front to back, then substitute front for left and back for right.)

1. Knives, forks, spoons. (92 votes [35.25%])

Percentage of vote: 35.25%

2. Knives, spoons, forks. (2 votes [0.77%])

Percentage of vote: 0.77%

3. Forks, knives, spoons. (37 votes [14.18%])

Percentage of vote: 14.18%

4. Forks, spoons, knives. (22 votes [8.43%])

Percentage of vote: 8.43%

5. Spoons, knives, forks. (8 votes [3.07%])

Percentage of vote: 3.07%

6. Spoons, forks, knives (90 votes [34.48%])

Percentage of vote: 34.48%

7. It's a random free for all with no defined order and/or I don't care. (4 votes [1.53%])

Percentage of vote: 1.53%

8. The cutlery never goes away in a drawer. (1 votes [0.38%])

Percentage of vote: 0.38%

9. I don't use any cutlery or eating utensils. Hands are better. (1 votes [0.38%])

10. Other - please share details in the thread. (4 votes [1.53%])

Percentage of vote: 1.53%

Should big spoons and teaspoons be in separate sections?

1. Yes. (250 votes [95.79%])

Percentage of vote: 95.79%

2. No. (7 votes [2.68%])

Percentage of vote: 2.68%

3. Don't know. Don't care. (3 votes [1.15%])

Percentage of vote: 1.15%

4. Not applicable because I only use hands. (1 votes [0.38%])

5. Other. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

How much do you care about cutlery order in drawers?

1. None. Don't care. I care so little that I shouldn't even be voting in this poll. (40 votes [15.33%])

Percentage of vote: 15.33%

2. A little bit. (58 votes [22.22%])

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

3. Some. (64 votes [24.52%])

Percentage of vote: 24.52%

4. A lot. (62 votes [23.75%])

Percentage of vote: 23.75%

5. Too much - I need a life. (20 votes [7.66%])

Percentage of vote: 7.66%

6. Only when other people get it wrong and I have to rearrange the drawer. Including other people's drawers. (17 votes [6.51%])

Percentage of vote: 6.51%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Paddlepop

Posted 12 May 2020 - 06:57 PM

Kind of a cleaning thread I guess. Cutlery - knives, forks, spoons, etc - is there a correct order they should be arranged in when put away in the drawer? Does the order matter? Do you have a reason for the order?

Completely fluffy thread but feel free to take it as seriously as you want.

#2 Etcetera

Posted 12 May 2020 - 07:05 PM

Order matters so you don't have to think when you go into the drawer.

Also soup spoons go up the other way in the spoon section. One cannot eat other food with a soup spoon.

#3 Dianalynch

Posted 12 May 2020 - 07:05 PM

Dh cares about the order of the cutlery drawer, it must be knives, forks, big spoons, little spoons, or we fall into a black hole or something. He also arranges the cutlery in order in the dishwasher cutlery drawer, and rearranges it when I ‘throw it in any old way’.

#4 PrincessPeach

Posted 12 May 2020 - 07:08 PM

Soup spoons are separated from normal big spoons & the little spoons are down the front.

I even bought an extra tray for the kids cutlery to go in.

#5 Sugarplum Poobah

Posted 12 May 2020 - 07:15 PM

Yeah, left to right is soup spoons, desert spoons, forks and knives (in the biggest section) and then teaspoons and other sundries in the small horizontal bit at the front.

Edited by Sugarplum Poobah, 12 May 2020 - 08:10 PM.

#6 kimasa

Posted 12 May 2020 - 07:29 PM

Knife -> fork -> any big spoons I don't care -> the long bit has metal straws, chopsticks and those things that make the tacos not fall over.
The bit that goes sideways down the bottom has teaspoons.

#7 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 12 May 2020 - 07:35 PM

I grew up with a cutlery drawer where it went (left to right)
1. forks (big forks stacked, little forks stacked in opposite direction),
2. spoons (soup spoons stacked, dessert spoons stacked in opposite direction),
3. knives (dinner knives pointing one way, butter knives pointing the other way),
4. wiltshire sharp knives and serving spoons.
And teaspoons in the section that run along the section that runs along the width of the drawer in the front.

And woe betide you if you f*cked up that system in my mum's house!

View PostDianalynch, on 12 May 2020 - 07:05 PM, said:

He also arranges the cutlery in order in the dishwasher cutlery drawer, and rearranges it when I ‘throw it in any old way’.
We have a cutlery basket thing in our dishwasher, on the bottom shelf. Drives me bonkers how DH doesn't care which way the cutlery goes in. I always re-arrange after he's put his stuff in so that all the dirty cutlery parts are outside the basket and the (cleaner) handle parts are in the bottom of the basket.

Because I *think* the cutlery is washed better with the dirty bits sticking up outside the basket. No idea if that's true, it's just what I believe to be true ... I fully admit I could be wrong on this though.

#8 lozoodle

Posted 12 May 2020 - 07:35 PM

My cutlery tray thing goes L-R knives, forks, spoons
then at the bottom horizontally across is teaspoons

Then there is the rest of the drawer full of random bits and pieces I can't find a home for... phone chargers, spare batteries, you name it.

I am more pedantic about dishwasher stacking as we have one of those cutlery trays up top, so I always group the separate things together, so I can just grab a big handful of forks for example and dump them in the fork section of the drawer. I'm more anal about this part as it then only takes me a few seconds to unload and put away the cutlery

Edited by lozoodle, 12 May 2020 - 07:36 PM.

#9 Silverstreak

Posted 12 May 2020 - 07:40 PM

Knives, forks, spoons, left to right. Spoons all in one bit, but if I had extra room, I'd separate large spoons from teaspoons. As it is, the extra space is used for DS' plastic syringes for baby panadol, melatonin etc.

To the left of the cutlery section I keep wooden spoons, spatulas, tongs etc and to the right I keep kitchen scissors, potato peelers, egg cup, bottle openers, rubber bands I use to reseal food packages. Sharp knives are in a knife rack on the bench top.

#10 ytt

Posted 12 May 2020 - 07:50 PM

My DS 20 inspects each cutlery item and if it's 'dirty' he puts it back. When I asked why he would put a 'dirty' item back he couldn't answer. I asked him to show me the 'dirty' item, lol it wasn't dirty, it had a mark.

And I thought I was strange, I can't eat with cutlery that has plastic handles :lol:

Edited by ytt, 12 May 2020 - 07:50 PM.

#11 blackcat20

Posted 12 May 2020 - 07:57 PM

Forks, knives, spoons. Teaspoons down the bottom. Sharp knives and other odd bits in the long section.

Cutlery goes point/blade down in the dishwasher as no one likes being stabbed by dirty cutlery (and they wash fine).

#12 TheGreenSheep

Posted 12 May 2020 - 08:09 PM

I like order.

My cutlery drawer is orderly.

#13 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 12 May 2020 - 08:11 PM

Is it weird that I had to go open the drawer to see how they go in?

We are spoons forks knives (then steak knives, and teaspoons down the bottom). No idea why. Maybe my parents did it that way. The knife to the right of the fork makes sense, cause that’s how you set the table. But no idea how the spoon ended up on the left.

#14 3babygirls

Posted 12 May 2020 - 08:12 PM

I'm not too fussed about spoons, knives etc.

However, we have one random soup spoon that I have no idea where it came from. We have a fun game of hiding it for the other one. So if I make ice cream I always hide the spoon bit under the ice cream so that he doesn't know until he goes to eat.. it's hilarious.. and I can't exactly remember how it started. I think it's because my husband really hated it..
Lol.

#15 laridae

Posted 12 May 2020 - 08:12 PM

Mine goes forks, soup spoons, regular spoons, knives (in the long section).
I have two sideways ones at the front as well - one is teaspoons and the other things like straws,  peelers etc
Sharp knives go in the knife block, not in the drawer.

Edited by laridae, 12 May 2020 - 08:13 PM.

#16 RocktonResident

Posted 12 May 2020 - 08:13 PM

Spoons, forks (splayds also go in with forks), knives. Teaspoons in a separate bit at the bottom.

Order is very important.

#17 got my tinsel on

Posted 12 May 2020 - 08:14 PM

Mine is (left to right):

steak knives

dinner knives

forks

dessert spoons

and a little section on the bottom of the above sections for teaspoons and cake forks.

edited for spelling

Edited by got my tinsel on, 12 May 2020 - 08:23 PM.

#18 Acidulous Osprey

Posted 12 May 2020 - 08:14 PM

I'll introduce you to Mr AO.  He has the weirdest system of organising our cutlery I've ever encountered.  I've given up completely and just put it in knowing full well he will come along and do his thing no matter what.

He's also got stupid opinions about how cutlery goes in the dishwasher.

#19 Gabbitz

Posted 12 May 2020 - 08:34 PM

Our cutlery is ordered left to right as you would set the table - forks, spoons, knives. The long slot and horizontal one both get filled with random stuff (peelers, straws, corners etc).

My DH insists that the cutlery is stacked in piles in the slots - which means the little forks and teaspoons are also stacked in with their bigger items and it all stays ‘neat’. He gets frustrated when others help in our kitchen and don’t neatly stack them!

#20 50ftqueenie

Posted 12 May 2020 - 08:38 PM

Sporks
Forks
Knives
Dessert spoons
Soup spoons
Steak knives

Down the bottom are teaspoons.

I have no idea why they are this way, but now I want to change the order and see if anyone else notices.

#21 jojonbeanie

Posted 12 May 2020 - 08:39 PM

We have a splade issue. I put them in with the forks. My husband stores them with the spoons.

#22 can'tstayaway

Posted 12 May 2020 - 08:49 PM

View PostGabbitz, on 12 May 2020 - 08:34 PM, said:

My DH insists that the cutlery is stacked in piles in the slots - which means the little forks and teaspoons are also stacked in with their bigger items and it all stays ‘neat’. He gets frustrated when others help in our kitchen and don’t neatly stack them!
I like to do that too. It just stacks ‘neater’ 😝

I have a few different cutlery sets and I like to use them for different meals. They’re scattered in different places in the kitchen, partly due to storage issues (or lack thereof).  One of the problems with our kitchen reno, was the cutlery drawer inserts were not finished properly so I’ve got mismatched insert bits. Each drawer’s cutlery is in different orders.

#23 SeaPrincess

Posted 12 May 2020 - 09:16 PM

We have a wider than normal cutlery drawer, and settings for 16 so it goes L-R soup spoons, dessert spoons, small forks, big forks, small knives, big knives, then assorted salad servers, cake servers, cheese knives. In the small horizontal sections are teaspoons and cake forks.

#24 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 12 May 2020 - 09:21 PM

I have issues. I have coloured melamine plates (dinner & standard), bowls and cups. They NEED to be put in Dishwasher and drawers in rainbow colour order - yes rainbow colour order. If dishwasher is stacked in the wrong order it gets restacked.

Cutlery luckily is just normal stainless steel - of course spoon, fork, knife.

#25 Kallie88

Posted 12 May 2020 - 09:37 PM

I'm pretty sure i just do it the way mum does, means i know where things should be without having to look/ think about it. Left to right: big spoons, forks, knives, teaspoons up the front along with kids cutlery. I have butter knives and steak knives separated coz I had the room and lots of knives lol

Eta: of course when the kids "help" put away the dishes all bets are off haha

Edited by Kallie88, 12 May 2020 - 09:39 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 1 anonymous users

Thisismeagain

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.