Co sleeping?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Jasperaliyana2729

Posted 16 April 2020 - 08:23 PM

Thoughts/stories

#2 PocketIcikleflakes

Posted 16 April 2020 - 08:31 PM

It saved my emotional and physical well-being.

It's not for everyone though.

#3 Paddlepop

Posted 16 April 2020 - 08:38 PM

Dangerous. Not safe. It would have been a last resort for me.

ETA My answer is for cosleeping with a baby not a child. Once they're older then it's safe enough but boy they kick a lot at about 2 or 3 yo. Then it becomes a pain in the butt and uncomfortable. Did it for a few months because DD had terrible trouble sleeping and it was a relief to get her back into her own bed once her sleep improved.

Edited by Paddlepop, 16 April 2020 - 08:52 PM.

#4 Ozquoll

Posted 16 April 2020 - 08:44 PM

DS is seven, we still co-sleep 😄

Edited by Ozquoll, 16 April 2020 - 08:44 PM.

#5 Silverstreak

Posted 16 April 2020 - 08:48 PM

DS has been cosleeping with me from the age of three, so almost five years. He has ASD and separation anxiety. Honestly, it allowed me to sleep properly, he refuses to sleep anywhere else.

#6 blackcat20

Posted 16 April 2020 - 08:49 PM

We've done it on some of the rougher nights but I wouldn't do it full-time. It got everyone much needed sleep during those patches where she wanted to be held to sleep.

#7 Jasperaliyana2729

Posted 16 April 2020 - 08:50 PM

I don't know why I feel so bad doing it. DS2 is 6 weeks old and the past week after his 3am feed I have just been leaving him in bed with me.. I don't want it to be a forever thing but for now it's sooo much easier.. I never did it with the other 2 tho..  and his long stretch (the first 6 hours of the night) he sleep in his bassinet

#8 Jasperaliyana2729

Posted 16 April 2020 - 08:52 PM

I just thought it would be interesting too see everybody's views. I know it's such a controversial subject

#9 Questionable13

Posted 16 April 2020 - 08:55 PM

Have done it on and off with all my kids and don't regret it one bit.
Look into the safe co-sleeping rules. It can be done safely, and many many cultures actually do it as it's normal for them.

#10 Paddlepop

Posted 16 April 2020 - 08:55 PM

If you're going to leave him in bed with you then make sure you stick to the guidelines like no bed coverings, no pillows, not in between two adults, no heavy sleepers, no drunk sleepers, no use of sleeping medications, and baby not against a wall where they might get stuck between the bed and wall. Otherwise go and put him back in his own safe sleep space.

#11 Jingleflea

Posted 16 April 2020 - 08:56 PM

I wish i'd done more of it but DH wasn't a fan.

But he also wasn't the one getting up all night to a screaming baby.

i know if I'd done it more and had better sleep my anxiety and PND(mild luckily) would have been much better.
And I think DD would have been calmer. I regret not having her in my bed more frankly.

#12 MadMarchMasterchef

Posted 16 April 2020 - 09:01 PM

Im not willing to risk it with a child under about 2 becuase DH and I are large people and I move around a lot in my sleep.

Of secondary concern would be the baby actually falling out of the bed.

#13 PrincessPeach

Posted 16 April 2020 - 09:01 PM

My second child has refused point blank to co-sleep from even as a newborn, he likes his own space - i've spent many nights on his floor due to his asthma.

My first, super cold nights as a baby he was happy to co-sleep. However DH did not sleep with him in the bed, so dont forget to take your partner into consideration.

#14 Musk Sticks

Posted 16 April 2020 - 09:09 PM

There are guidelines for safe co-sleeping.

There is a lot of fear mongering around co-sleeping and it makes women feel guilty.
Most women start co-sleeping out of necessity, because it is beneficial for their emotional/ mental wellbeing and allows them to get some much needed sleep.
I was in the 'I would never co-sleep/ it is so dangerous' camp before I had my first.
Co-sleeping saved my sanity.

You need to do what works for you and your baby. Regardless of where your baby sleeps, you should always be careful to follow to safe sleeping guidelines.

#15 Fennel Salad

Posted 16 April 2020 - 09:10 PM

I co-slept and saved my sanity. But it only ever was just me and baby in bed and DH slept in the spare room. Also baby was in gro-bag and i had a blanket/doona. I was more worried that baby would turn and fall onto floor. Thankfully both babies turned late.  I think it can be done safely and many cultures do it. Of course there is a risk to everyrhing we do. An exhausted, sleep deprived mamma is a dangerous thing.

ETA: find out facts, balance risk vs benedit, be sensible

Edited by Fennel Salad, 16 April 2020 - 09:11 PM.

#16 ekbaby

Posted 16 April 2020 - 09:13 PM

Loved it, never planned to do it but it worked and saved my sanity , then I ended up really enjoying it. Australian Breastfeeding Association website has some links to safer cosleeping guidelines. We did not drink/drug or use doonas.

#17 Kabu84

Posted 16 April 2020 - 09:15 PM

I co-slept with both my babies but I had a midwife help me set up my bed for safe co-sleeping. DH slept in the spare bed. I was breastfeeding. It saved my sanity and was a safer option for me as I kept falling asleep sitting
Up breastfeeding at night (which is why I changed to co-sleeping in the first place). Now they are 2 and 4 and both (usually) sleep in their own beds.

#18 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 16 April 2020 - 09:23 PM

My first would not sleep if I was there. My second needed me, so we co-slept until he was 9mo when it was no longer working for me. He then within a week was sleeping all night in his own bed, and occasionally slept through. We’ve been through some rough patches, and occasionally coslept again, but at 2yo he’s still sleeping in his own bed, occasionally sleeping through. Overall his sleep has been fairly similar as DD who never coslept.

Do it if it works for you, just plan it and do it safely.

#19 Gruffalo's Child

Posted 16 April 2020 - 09:25 PM

I did it in nights when my babies couldn’t settle, especially after the 3 or 4 am feed.  I took precautions by sleeping without my pillow, and wearing my dressing gown rather than with my quilt.  I loved it.  I’d also take day naps with my firstborn together.

#20 seayork2002

Posted 16 April 2020 - 09:26 PM

Ds was in his own room from 2 weeks, we needed sleep so worked for us

#21 PocketIcikleflakes

Posted 16 April 2020 - 09:28 PM

View PostJasperaliyana2729, on 16 April 2020 - 08:50 PM, said:

I don't know why I feel so bad doing it. DS2 is 6 weeks old and the past week after his 3am feed I have just been leaving him in bed with me.. I don't want it to be a forever thing but for now it's sooo much easier.. I never did it with the other 2 tho..  and his long stretch (the first 6 hours of the night) he sleep in his bassinet

I did much the same with with my second. At a 6 weeks ish I think. I'd tried to avoid it but I was so tired I dropped her at which point I made the deliberate decision to bed share. Doing it as a conscious decision, making sure you're following guidelines as much as possible is not the same as just putting the baby in the bed, or just falling asleep. Having got to the point of tiredness I got to I really should have done it earlier.

Paddlepop's post covers so well what can be done to make it as safe as possible.

At 5 and 8 my two still love sleepovers but they almost always sleep I their own beds. They both still prefer company so sleep in the same room.

#22 lizzzard

Posted 16 April 2020 - 09:37 PM

We co slept till the the kids were about 8-9yrs. It’s actually a bit surreal thinking about it now - DD is 13 and DS is 11. They are very happy sleeping in their own beds- I couldn’t imagine them ever coming into our bed now!! It was never much of an issue-was just easier so thats what we did.

#23 Bethlehem Babe

Posted 16 April 2020 - 09:38 PM

It’s safer to have a safe sleeping space set up for co-sleeping than falling asleep on a couch with baby.

#24 Jasperaliyana2729

Posted 16 April 2020 - 09:41 PM

I'm surprised by how many positive reply's there are!!

Thanks everyone for your tips. I love the dressing gown idea, that's such a good idea to stay warm but not put the baby at risk!  

Congratulations too all you breastfeeding mummy's. It really is hard work!!

#25 Hands Up

Posted 16 April 2020 - 09:52 PM

After saying I would never do it, DS2 decided sleeping was optional when he was eight months old. This was after he slept through from 12 weeks.

It became a battle of wills and at least a few times a week DH or I would break and bring him into bed with us. We both hated it as he wiggles a lot before dozing off and had to be touching a part of me, but we would all go back to sleep eventually.

This happened on and off until he was just over two when he started sleeping through in his own bed again and has ever since.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.