Literary characters?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 3babygirls

Posted 13 April 2020 - 01:14 PM

Would you avoid using a similar name from a literary series if you child had a name that was synonymous with it?

So for instance, if you had a son named Caspian, would you avoid naming a second son Aslan?

Or if you had a daughter Hermione would you avoid naming a second daughter Minerva?

Or a daughter Arwen would you avoid naming a second daughter Galadriel or a son Legolas?

We have a child that has a name that is really tied to a book, but did not choose the name from that book, but love another name that is also annoyingly used in the book.
I'm wondering whether to use or avoid..

I really love this name, but wondering if the associations of two kids would be too annoying (one kid has a name not in book series that i'm aware of).  The names are old names and have history in their own right..

Thoughts?

#2 livvie7586

Posted 13 April 2020 - 01:23 PM

I suppose it depends on the series, how popular it is etc.

I mean, there are plenty of people out there with isabellas and Edwards or Jacobs, not because of twilight but because they are popular names.  But it is the first thing i think of.

If you love it, though, go for it.

#3 Kallie88

Posted 13 April 2020 - 01:42 PM

I think it depends a lot on the names. I mean if you had a Caspian and a Peter/Edward/Susan/Lucy I probably wouldn't even notice, since the second lot are pretty common/normal names in their own right anyway. How well known the series is would impact how many people would make the connection too. If both names have tradition attached they'll probably be less likely to be connected through the books than something more unique. At the end of the day I think the main thing is whether you love the names or not anyway.

My name is in a well known song which I was not named after, I get asked if I was all the time, it doesn't bother me except that it shows that the person doesn't know what the song is about lol. I like my name despite the association because it is an awesome name

#4 lizzzard

Posted 13 April 2020 - 01:42 PM

The examples you’ve given are pretty distinctive names so I would probably avoid those. Plenty of people have a Mary and John though (or an Ismail and Yusuf) - it wouldn’t put me off unless it’s likely the only place people had seen the name was the book....

#5 Silverstreak

Posted 13 April 2020 - 01:55 PM

Eh, I personally wouldn't worry too much, most people probably won't make the connection, honestly.

#6 Zippypeaks

Posted 13 April 2020 - 01:57 PM

I have a daughter Emma, when our son was born, hubby wanted to name him Lachie! Our own little Wiggles family. I vetoed it for that very reason.

#7 Inkogneatoh

Posted 13 April 2020 - 02:35 PM

View Postlivvie7586, on 13 April 2020 - 01:23 PM, said:

I suppose it depends on the series, how popular it is etc.

I mean, there are plenty of people out there with isabellas and Edwards or Jacobs, not because of twilight but because they are popular names.  But it is the first thing i think of.

If you love it, though, go for it.
I agree that it will depend on the popularity of the book/series, and how common the names are. To use your Harry Potter example, a Harry wouldn't stand out, but add a Ron or Hermione, or any other main character into the mix, and people may jump to assumptions.

I knew two good friends who were big Twilight fans. As in go to midnight screening sort of big fans. They had children about a month apart (not long before the 4th movie was due out), which they named Bella and Jacob. Bella was a shortened name (and not of Isabella, so she can use the other half if she ever wants to to escape the connection), and Jacob's father was Jake. A lot of people jumped to the fandom aspect, due to the mothers known love of the series. Even when talking to Jake, people questioned why he let his son be named after a movie/book character.

#8 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 13 April 2020 - 02:48 PM

I probably would try and avoid if they were very distinctive names associated with a popular series.

My kids names were random choice, funnily enough at my 20yrs reunion saw a class friend (you know people you spoke to in classroom but not outside of class) and she had named her 3 kids the exact same names in the same order. We live 900kms apart.

#9 Lesley225

Posted 13 April 2020 - 03:02 PM

View PostZippypeaks, on 13 April 2020 - 01:57 PM, said:

I have a daughter Emma, when our son was born, hubby wanted to name him Lachie! Our own little Wiggles family. I vetoed it for that very reason.
I thought you were going to talk of Jane Austen there,  I have no idea of any wiggles names.

#10 3babygirls

Posted 13 April 2020 - 03:08 PM

View Postlizzzard, on 13 April 2020 - 01:42 PM, said:

The examples you’ve given are pretty distinctive names so I would probably avoid those.

Yep, they are quite distinctive and most people would only associate at least one of the names (maybe not the second name) with this series of books, despite the names being used in mythology and other historical settings.

Grrr. Back to the drawing board I think :(

#11 kerilyntaryn

Posted 13 April 2020 - 03:49 PM

Depends upon the name, if only one is known I wouldn't worry

#12 Lyra

Posted 13 April 2020 - 05:00 PM

My daughter's name is from a Sci-Fi book and my son's from a Sci-Fi TV series :rofl:

When we announced our son's name most people thought we were joking because of our daughter's name.

We didn't do it intentionally but it is nice they have that connection. We liked both the names. Most people don't notice anyway

#13 seemingly

Posted 13 April 2020 - 05:24 PM

If people cared your children's names came from a book, they're wasting their time. Honestly. I guess they may have cause for concern if you named your daughter Daenerys and your son Aegon. Or Romeo and Juliet. Like romance pairings with siblings would be weird.

But Sansa, Ayra and Daenerys? Margaery, Tyrell and Kit? Cersei, Theon and Joffery? Luna, Harry and Draco? Percy, Annabeth and Tyson?

So what? ^^

#14 3babygirls

Posted 13 April 2020 - 05:48 PM

View Postseemingly, on 13 April 2020 - 05:24 PM, said:

If people cared your children's names came from a book, they're wasting their time. Honestly. I guess they may have cause for concern if you named your daughter Daenerys and your son Aegon. Or Romeo and Juliet. Like romance pairings with siblings would be weird.

But Sansa, Ayra and Daenerys? Margaery, Tyrell and Kit? Cersei, Theon and Joffery? Luna, Harry and Draco? Percy, Annabeth and Tyson?

So what? ^^

I think it would get annoying. We already get asked all the time about one kids name, so not sure if i'm ready to put myself out for more. However, one kids names is very obviously tied, the other name we are considering is a little less obvious if people haven't read the book..

Almost didn't use the name because we didn't want to get questioned about the book.

#15 PooksLikeChristmas

Posted 13 April 2020 - 06:29 PM

If it was a really obvious connection, I wouldn’t want my children saddled with that.

#16 Gudrun

Posted 13 April 2020 - 07:56 PM

I'd think really carefully about what I had on the board.

#17 Ellie bean

Posted 13 April 2020 - 09:18 PM

Gotta say I’d avoid calling a son Legolas even if he was an only child...

#18 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 13 April 2020 - 09:24 PM

Can you take part of the name and use it with a twist? DH vetoed my favourite choice ( also for a favourite book), so I took the nickname of that name and searched for other names containing that nickname and found a name we both liked. So to me, it still has the link to the character, but is not that name at all.

#19 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 15 April 2020 - 01:35 PM

View PostVeritas Vinum Arte, on 13 April 2020 - 02:48 PM, said:

I probably would try and avoid if they were very distinctive names associated with a popular series.
same here. The more unusual the names or the more well known the naming set, the more noticeable it will be for people to pick up the theme with sibling names.

For example, if you have 4 daughters and you named them Jo, Amy, Meg and Beth, it would look pretty obvious to anyone who reads that you and/or your partner are fans of Little Women.

Names like Hermione, Arwen, Caspian etc are pretty distinctive in their own right, so if sibling names were along the same vein, it wouldn't be too hard to figure out what the naming inspiration is.

I suppose it depends on if you want to make it that obvious to people.

View PostPooksLikeChristmas, on 13 April 2020 - 06:29 PM, said:

If it was a really obvious connection, I wouldn’t want my children saddled with that.
same here. Just because I am into a book series (or whatever theme it is) doesn't mean I should saddle my kids with that directly.

View PostVeritas Vinum Arte, on 13 April 2020 - 02:48 PM, said:

My kids names were random choice, funnily enough at my 20yrs reunion saw a class friend (you know people you spoke to in classroom but not outside of class) and she had named her 3 kids the exact same names in the same order. We live 900kms apart.
An old school friend has 3 girls. Two of her girls are named the same as my two girls. We live on different continents, and haven't had anything to do with each other since uni days. I learnt this last year through a mutual friend who I have recently got in contact with. Very weird to learn!

#20 MadMarchMasterchef

Posted 15 April 2020 - 01:47 PM

View Postseemingly, on 13 April 2020 - 05:24 PM, said:

So what? ^^

It might also depend whether the characters were the good guys or the bad guys.  Id use Luna or Sansa but not Joffrey or Draco.

(have only seen 1st season so apologies if Joffrey becomes a good guy..)

#21 Froggilicious

Posted 15 April 2020 - 02:24 PM

We have accidentally named all three fo our kids names from Shakespeare plays. We are the only ones who have noticed.

#22 71Cath

Posted 15 April 2020 - 02:46 PM

I'm curious about the names now.

#23 8LittleAustralians

Posted 16 April 2020 - 08:49 PM

I have 3 children that have first names used in Twilight, and a couple of middle names are also used. I've never watched any of the movies, it was just coincidence.

View PostInkogneatoh, on 13 April 2020 - 02:35 PM, said:

I agree that it will depend on the popularity of the book/series, and how common the names are. To use your Harry Potter example, a Harry wouldn't stand out, but add a Ron or Hermione, or any other main character into the mix, and people may jump to assumptions.

I have a Hermione and people jump to that conclusion just with that one Harry Potter name, much to my husband's disgust. He loves the story of Troy.

#24 kimasa

Posted 17 April 2020 - 07:38 PM

Definitely depends on how distinctive the names are.

Harry and Hermione, definitely book.
Harry and Lily, big HP fans would figure it out, most won't.

#25 kerilyntaryn

Posted 04 May 2020 - 09:07 PM

What are the names

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.