WDYT? Disability in these times

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 chicken_bits

Posted 10 April 2020 - 08:13 PM

I see lots of posts here saying that COVID 19 is a matter of life and death so stay at home.

But what about the needs of people with other chronic illnesses and disabilities during this time?

Should they suck it up and deal with lack of support during this time because it's not a matter of life or death? What if it's just a matter of their condition deteriorating?

I have a disability. My condition means that in order for me to avoid significant deterioration to the point where I can't stand, my brain doesn't function properly, my gut doesn't function properly etc. and therefore am no longer able to parent, I need to be able to rest. I need to have respite from my children. In regular life, that means I have a support system where family, friends and school are able to give me that respite. Those have now all gone. None of the legal guidelines available to me (VIC) are viable options because I'm not leaving the house. And I'm not allowed to leave the house.

#2 Mollyksy

Posted 10 April 2020 - 08:23 PM

Could family and friends give you respite by coming to you and caring in home or by collecting the kids and going to their house? I know VIC are strict but in NSW caring is allowed, even in your own (not the kids') home. Not because of you being essential worker but caring for you by caring for them? Is there a social worker or support person who could approach the police on your behalf and check?

#3 Mollyksy

Posted 10 April 2020 - 08:26 PM

https://www.dhhs.vic...asked-questions

Wouldn't someone coming to you to provide 'care and support' to you by minding the kids be a reasonable excuse for them to be out of their home?

If you scroll you can pick up and drop off kids in a respite situation. Surely with your disability friends and family can do this and this would be the reasonable excuse for then to be out?

Assuming of course you have available and willing friends and family.

Edited by Mollyksy, 10 April 2020 - 08:32 PM.

#4 lucky 2

Posted 10 April 2020 - 08:28 PM

I'm sorry to hear how much negative impact this situation has had on you.
I've been wondering how people with in home supports where coping.

No you shouldn't suck it up. Not at all.
I'm in Vic, I think that maybe you are a parent who needs to send their children to school, starting from next Wednesday.
A friend or family member can visit to help with caring, babysitting, child minding. It's it's allowed afaik.
Do you feel confident to be assertive with the school and communicate your needs?
If you don't feel up to talking to the school, can someone help you?
I work in a hospital, I want people to stay home in general but there are exemptions, there has to be and I'd encourage you to seek support from the school.
I think you need special consideration. x

#5 PurpleWitch

Posted 10 April 2020 - 08:47 PM

Disability is an essential service, so those service providers still need to be doing something!

#6 chicken_bits

Posted 10 April 2020 - 09:06 PM

Thanks for your responses.

I guess I'm just feeling like I should suck it up? I don't have access to disability services because I have a husband and he earns enough to support us.

I feel like because he has a job and is in the home that that should be enough. But it's not. Because it's the kids being in the home that makes it impossible to rest appropriately.

We've already spoken to the school. While they're usually supportive, it's not a viable option. The school has clearly said they will not provide any assistance to the students, they will be maintaining 1.5m and they need to learn independently. My youngest is 5 in FYOS. He can't do that.

Family in the state are only grandparents (not allowed). Friends are a possibility but I feel really uncomfortable asking because again, I don't feel like I'm deserving enough or that my friends should have to potentially risk themselves for me.

#7 Fossy

Posted 10 April 2020 - 09:21 PM

You can access school for your children, they would be deemed at risk due to your health concerns/disability. We have friends with health conditions which necessitate rest (MS and RA) and they are able to access school.  If your school have denied this contact your local MP ASAP.

Another option is a respite carer, do you have NDIS? Perhaps you could seek funding, again, you would most likely be approved.  Claims are being approved at record speed at the moment.

Hope you can find a solution. Do you have a friend or family member who can help advocate? I know sometimes in these stressful times it can be hard to find the energy to fight for that which we are entitled, someone may be able to help lessen that burden for you.

#8 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 10 April 2020 - 09:26 PM

Chicken bits, I’m finding it hard too. I hadn’t quite realised how carefully balanced my life was - I can cope thanks to the time I get from school and daycare to rest/do things at my own pace. I can’t really send the kids to school/daycare as I’m at greater risk of severe disease if I contract it thanks to my medication. So I’m sucking it up, which sucks. I’m just extremely lucky that a medication adjustment 6 weeks ago has massively reduced my pain.

No help, just understanding.

#9 Chaotic Pogo

Posted 10 April 2020 - 10:13 PM

In NDIS speak, your informal supports (unpaid ones) are no longer viable. NDIS is not means tested. DH income not relevant.

You clearly need paid supports. Ie a carer to get kids out of your hair.  NDIS needs to fund that.  As ‘assistance with daily activities of living’, for you. They won’t fund ‘childcare’ (*that I know of). They will fund a carer for you that helps you do daily mum stuff. That person helps you get kids breakfast and off to school etc etc on paper. In the real world, they mostly just do it and you do kid cuddles.

You are absolutely legal to have a carer at your house, paid or unpaid (but I agree not to risk grandparents too). Would you feel better about the situation with a letter from your Dr stating you need in home assistance with ‘activities of daily living’ that you (or the person caring) could show police if queried?  Even a letter by you, for the carer to carry, would likely be enough if queried by police during Stage 3.

School needs to suck it up too. Is it possible school is pushing the line that they are ‘just supervision’ to prevent people sending kids because they’ll learn better in school?

And if they really won’t be supervised with online work, what are they doing with the Drs and nurses kids?  It’s very clear in Vic you should be able to access what the essential workers can access with respect to schools. The question there is, if you were a medical professional rather than having a chronic condition, would DH stay at home to do online with kids, or still go to work (or be trying to work from home)?

I’m in Vic and my kids have additional needs. Our carer is still coming in for usual times.

Edit silly autocorrect 😛

Edited by Chaotic Pogo, 10 April 2020 - 10:31 PM.

#10 *bucket*

Posted 10 April 2020 - 10:19 PM

Would someone taking your kids out for a walk, to kick a ball, to run around, for a couple of hours every day or two help you to get a rest? Can someone do this for you? They wouldn't have to come into the house, although I guess it's more difficult if the weather isn't good. Or could you have someone in to supervise them doing school work for a couple of hours while you rested? Or is that not sufficient, and you really need them out for a bit? School should take them at least some days a week, they have to take FYOS children, they can't say everyone has to be independent. I'm sure there are health workers with children in Prep.

#11 Acidulous Osprey

Posted 10 April 2020 - 10:39 PM

The NDIS is not means tested so as long as your condition is considered to be a disability and not medical, then as your informal supports can no longer support you, it's worth applying to see what support you can get.

#12 MooGuru

Posted 11 April 2020 - 03:26 AM

If you and the kids have been strictly isolated and the grandparents have been isolating couldn't they still go to the grandparents (unless there's a different rule because of different locations).

One of my friends is a part time nurse. She attempted keeping her child home the days she was home but ended up sending her daughter to school each day because she couldn't physically cope without any downtime.

#13 bubskitkat

Posted 11 April 2020 - 05:36 AM

My son has autism and I’m a single mum. I’m not coping and he’s not coping. Next week he’s going back to his special needs school.

Edited by bubskitkat, 11 April 2020 - 05:36 AM.

#14 blimkybill

Posted 11 April 2020 - 06:43 AM

Chicken_bits, I am sorry you are suffering and that widely published guidelines don't seem to take you into account.
Your health does matter, so if you can come up with a solution it will be acceptable in the eyes of the law, because you are a vulnerable person with care needs
NDIS is one option,  but if you are not already a participant,  it will take time. Local councils or sometimes state governments have services to provide some home help at subsidized or free rates for people with illnesses or disability who don't qualify for NDIS. If your household can afford it you could pay someone a couple of hours a day to come to your home (there are lots of unemployed childcare workers). Or it may be fine to call on friends and family.  If you feel stuck I would contact a local disability organization to see if they can help you find a solution.

#15 wilding

Posted 11 April 2020 - 04:35 PM

Thinking of you chicken_bits, I hope you get the help you need during this horrendous thing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.