I don't get the home-baked bread thing

• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

#1 Lifesgood

Posted 10 April 2020 - 06:41 PM

OK, what am I missing? Why are all the shelves cleared of flour and baking powder? What's with the making-your-own-bread craze?

#2 WaitForMe

Posted 10 April 2020 - 06:45 PM

I think its just that people are home so much they can actually do it now. Plus its not that difficult to get decent results.

#3 Gruffalo's Child

Posted 10 April 2020 - 06:45 PM

We’re all making banana bread

#4 -Emissary-

Posted 10 April 2020 - 06:46 PM

You can make more with flour than just bread though. Like pasta. Cake. Pancakes.

There’s not really a shortage where I live though. We’ve been able to get flour just fine.

#5 Paddlepop

Posted 10 April 2020 - 06:47 PM

So they can have a fresh loaf of bread every day and not have the horror of eating a day old loaf of bread which is apparently far too hideous to contemplate?

No idea. I'm gluten free so I'm quite happy with the frozen then "thawed for your convenience" loaves of GF bread from Woolworths that are presumably packed full of all manner of preservatives. That stuff all gets eaten no matter how many days old it is, as long as it isn't mouldy. It's too expensive to throw away.

#6 No Drama Please

Lol my thinking was the concern was the future timeline was heading towards very limited options, including standard options such as toilet paper and bread.

Once we’d finished laughing about how ridiculous it would be if toilet paper disappeared, but then it actually became reality, learning how to make the basics become suddenly appealing.

#7 blimkybill

Bread, cakes, biscuits, muffins, pancakes. People at home can enjoy baking all of them.
Also people were worried about access to food potentially so they bought non perishable items like flour, rather than bread, which doesn’t keep.
I think it’s perfectly understandable that flour was one of the popular items.

#8 Dianalynch

Posted 10 April 2020 - 06:50 PM

Maybe some of the people stocking up don’t have large freezers, can’t store a lot of bread, so wanted a back up option?

others I know enjoy baking and just have the time now, others I know are taking it up as a new hobby.

Me, I ‘stocked up’ with an extra pack each of self and plain - for muffins and pancakes, which we’re eating more of now we’re at home. All. The. Time.

#9 BornToLove

Posted 10 April 2020 - 06:55 PM

I think a lot of it has to do with the slow living movement. A few years ago it was knitting and gardening etc.

I’ve had friends getting into bread making months ago (Pre-covid) making a loaf on the weekend. Now that they are home, they are making a new loaf daily.

#10 Oriental lily

Posted 10 April 2020 - 06:57 PM

People expected a severe lockdown meaning getting necessities would be hard . Plus if having Covid19 the whole family needed to quarantine . So making own bread is handy .

I personally didint do any panic buying but can understand the thought processes it behind it . With a family of 7 I am happy to buy from are local bakery . Would need to come a full time baker to have this family fully stocked up in bread .

#11 Bono25

Posted 10 April 2020 - 06:59 PM

We've been making bread, well, when I say we I mean dp. Means we don't need to go to the shops every couple days. Nothing to do with having slightly stale bread. He uses a bread maker though. The smell makes me so hungry!

#12 Wonderstruck

Posted 10 April 2020 - 06:59 PM

I feel like a lot of people bought it in fear of severe lock down but then realised they don't usually bake and then bought packet mix.

I like to bake but don't attempt bread or anything complicated.

#13 IamOzgirl

Posted 10 April 2020 - 07:00 PM

I wanted to make hot cross buns... it took a few days to get normal plain flour let alone bread flour!

Don't forget playdough too!

#14 Ozquoll

Posted 10 April 2020 - 07:06 PM

I think a lot of it was panic buying. I've been baking most of my own bread for years - I'm a bit cranky I can't get proper bread flour at my supermarket anymore. Am about to order a mega 25kg bag online...and I'll use it 😀

I want to know why I can't buy Western Star butter for love or money now?

Edited by Ozquoll, 10 April 2020 - 07:06 PM.

#15 Krio

Posted 10 April 2020 - 07:09 PM

I made bread today. This week we've also made damper and cake.

With school holidays starting yesterday, I actually had some time on my hands today and the bread will get us through until our grocery delivery on Sunday. It was fun, relaxing and smelt amazing. When we had a bread maker, I used to make it occasionally but it eventually blew up. It was quite satisfying making it from scratch today.

Mr 7 has been wanting to cook damper for ages so we made it for lunch the other day. The cake baked last weekend was used all week as an afternoon tea treat.

I've got more yeast arriving on Sunday so will bake a loaf every few days. We're really trying to avoid the shops and this just buys as some more time between trips.

One thing I've really enjoyed over the last few weeks is pulling out my cook books (for the first time in years) and making something different for dinner. Without the usual afternoon runaround, I have the time to cook. The motivation of doing something to calm myself is there too after spending the day occupying and supervising the couped up kids.

Edited by Krio, 10 April 2020 - 07:10 PM.

#16 Mmmcheese

Posted 10 April 2020 - 07:10 PM

No knead bread is really, really easy. A nice yummy treat that's better than read out the freezer.

#17 Krio

Posted 10 April 2020 - 07:11 PM

Mmmcheese, on 10 April 2020 - 07:10 PM, said:

No knead bread is really, really easy. A nice yummy treat that's better than read out the freezer.

Matt Preston shared one on Instagram last night that looked so simple.

#18 Jane Jetson

Posted 10 April 2020 - 07:12 PM

I'll cheerfully cop to not understanding the home-baked bread thing. And baking more widely, really. It's one of those things where it's a lot cheaper, quicker and nicer-tasting to just get people who know what they're doing (ie bakers, Bakers Delight, Arnotts, etc etc) to do it for me. I'd rather not have bread than make my own.

Then again, I am incredibly fussy when it comes to bread and really only like it if it's soft, nutrition-free white stuff from the bakery up the road. So my opinion might not be a terribly good one to listen to.

Edited by Jane Jetson, 10 April 2020 - 07:13 PM.

#19 Mmmcheese

Posted 10 April 2020 - 07:13 PM

Krio, on 10 April 2020 - 07:11 PM, said:

Matt Preston shared one on Instagram last night that looked so simple.

I've never been successful with bread, but the one I did honestly turned out so well. Not as nice as a good sourdough, but I was really surprised at how well it worked!

#20 kimasa

Posted 10 April 2020 - 07:17 PM

My theory is everyone bought them because "NO FOOD!" and now they're sitting in pantries around the country awaiting their time to be thrown away.

And a very small, overrepresented on EB minority is actually using the kilos upon kilos purchased to cook with.

#21 MadMarchMasterchef

Posted 10 April 2020 - 07:40 PM

I think the idea with the flour is that it minimises the amount of trips you need to take to the shops.  (Just means everyone else has to make multiple trips to get what they need....)

In this house we use a fair bit of flour with pancakes, fritters, flat breads, pizza dough, pastry, scones, cakes, and yes banana bread. I also make home made pasties / calzones, filo pastries etc.

As you can tell from my username I really enjoy cooking. But Im not that great at plain bread, honestly. It never quite rises enough. I would really like to perfect it. Maybe if I see a second hand bread maker on gumtree Ill have a shot.

#22 eachschoolholidays

Posted 10 April 2020 - 07:43 PM

We’ve made cinnamon scrolls. cakes, bread, and focaccia. We do bake regularly though.  The lock down has just given me more time.

#23 Sleep Debt

Posted 10 April 2020 - 07:45 PM

I get it. I can't find flour to make my own, but I get it.

At the moment I have to leave my house every 3 days to buy bread and milk. If I could bake my own bread (and milk my own cow) I wouldn't need to leave my house for 2 weeks.

#24 Fourteenyears

Posted 10 April 2020 - 07:47 PM

Baking is high on one of my stuck-at-home kid’s fun things to do list.

I am not complaining!   But I do need to keep up with her need for flour.

#25 Mmmcheese

Posted 10 April 2020 - 07:47 PM

Madmarchmasterchef, this is the recipe I've had success with... https://cooking.nyti...read?utm_source

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.