How do you choose a sofa when you’re extremely indecisive?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 anon1071

Posted 10 April 2020 - 01:31 PM

I’m looking at buying a new sofa and I’m having trouble choosing. At home it’s just me and my two teens. I currently have a leather sofa that has small scratches all over it like cat scratches (we don’t own a cat!)

I can’t decide between leather and fabric. I really want to like the IKEA sofas due to their price and how everyone raves about them but I just don’t like them.

I’m not sure whether the L shaped modulars are still popular or a waste of space. I don’t like the Amart type of sofas either.
Do you think that price is an indication of quality?
I was checking out the Nick Scali website and really liked some of the styles but they’re quite pricey. Not sure if it’s worth it to spend 4K or more.

I also don’t like ones that look like they belong in a cinema room or a nursing home!
Help!

Edited by anon1071, 10 April 2020 - 02:08 PM.

#2 Moukmouk

Posted 10 April 2020 - 01:48 PM

I’ve bought some nice things from Glicks furniture. Not a massive range so it makes the choices easier! I like leather as it is so easy to clean and nice and cool in summer. As to actually making the choice, it’s easy if you just don’t overthink it. Choose one you like, order, stop looking. Admittedly I find this easier as my mother can’t make a decision to save her life, and then regrets any she does make. Such a waste of energy.

https://www.glicksfurniture.com.au/

#3 Prancer is coming

Posted 10 April 2020 - 02:03 PM

If you are having trouble deciding, get input from your teens.  Or tell the store person the features you want - eg easy to clean, can seat 5 adults, 3 recliners.

#4 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 10 April 2020 - 02:18 PM

I recently purchased 2 x King Living sofas (never purchase at full price they have revolving discounts so waited for the version I wanted to be discounted).

https://www.kinglivi...ing-living-sale

We have the King Delta Sofas in the front room - these can be easily changed around. We purchased package 1 deluxe plus and we purchased 2 extra box ends. That way we can do L shaped sofa, 2 x normal sofas, easily converts to sofa beds etc. currently have one sofa set up as a double ended day bed (so the back cushions are on the ends and the usual box ends are on the back). The detla is great for different variations.

The other one we have is the Jasper. We have the 1A package and it is great for our living room. Fits our family of 5 on it to watch a movie together without fighting. As we purchased both sofas in the same fabric, we actually use the single chair base of the Delta as an extra ottoman for the Jasper.

We went fabric as I don’t like leather for sofas.

ETA I had wanted a Jasper (too big for our space then) or Delta, 15 years ago and DH vetoed me. When it came to new sofas for our newly extended/renovated house I knew what I wanted.

We still have Ikea Poang chairs upstairs in the kids rumpus with an Ikea soederhamn chaise which were our actual chairs we used for over 2 yrs when the old sofa died (and while living in small apartment during build). We got the poang foot rest as well. We sometimes had the chairs spread out so kids could not reach eachother.

https://www.ikea.com...eige-s19240788/

https://www.ikea.com...grey-s39900815/

Edited by Veritas Vinum Arte, 10 April 2020 - 02:32 PM.

#5 SeaPrincess

Posted 10 April 2020 - 02:32 PM

If I was buying a new sofa today, I’d get a Koala one. We’ve been really impressed with the mattress, and they’re not that expensive. They do a 2-seater, 3-seater and ottoman, and they’re on special at the moment.

#6 little lion

Posted 10 April 2020 - 02:36 PM

King Living is on sale. Our Jasper is seven years old and still lols like new. I’m considering buying another one to replace a Nick Scali lounge that didn’t last very well.

#7 taki

Posted 10 April 2020 - 02:44 PM

Can't vouch for quality but Freedom currently has 25% site wide and plenty of choice.

#8 born.a.girl

Posted 10 April 2020 - 02:50 PM

How tall are you?

As a short person, all of the modular stuff is hopeless for me, and I have to sit in furniture to make sure I can sit there comfortably.

We've just bought our first ever leather, but unfortunately we DO have two cats, so I can't blame the 'small scratches' on age.

#9 José

Posted 10 April 2020 - 02:52 PM

Sounds like you haven't found the right one for you yet.

Like others I have a king furniture lounge. Very happy with it.

#10 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 10 April 2020 - 02:54 PM

Actually both the King sofas I purchased (exact configurations) are on sale now.

ALso what sofa you purchase will be influenced by the space you have and how you plan to use that space.

The Jasper is great for lounging around and a larger space. The Delta is better for a smaller space and can be used in either a more formal way or as a more lounging around L shape.

Edited by Veritas Vinum Arte, 10 April 2020 - 02:56 PM.

#11 Kallie88

Posted 10 April 2020 - 02:57 PM

Lol you could go into a discount furniture store for a mattress and accidentally buy a couch too like we did 😂 it was a great price for size, fit our space and only has to last 5 or so years then we'll probably replace it anyway (about to have 4 kids under 5yo so will take a beating), so we were pretty happy to stumble across it

#12 anon1071

Posted 10 April 2020 - 03:00 PM

For those that are recommending King, what price range are we talking?

I want something we can lounge around on, is comfortable but doesn’t look too untidy, not so close to the floor and definitely not hard and formal.

#13 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 10 April 2020 - 03:05 PM

The Jasper is $4,990 for the 1A package and the Delta is $2,990 for the same ones I got. That is current sale prices.

Jasper 13 package is $3,990 which is similar style to the 1A but the chaise part is not as wide. We like the wider chaise on the 1A as it can fit DH and I easily on it or even DD with both of us a little but cramped, but it does depend on the size of your room.

King is also doing a free upgrade to certain of their leather options too. We have the bog standard Palm Beach fabric.

Edited by Veritas Vinum Arte, 10 April 2020 - 03:08 PM.

#14 dadwasathome

Posted 10 April 2020 - 03:07 PM

We’ve got a jasper too, we bought on special like 99% of people, but customised a few elements. Tru touch leather I think they call the aniline good stuff.

It replaced a 12yo King Ambassador which we gave to friends and they still use

#15 amdirel

Posted 10 April 2020 - 03:08 PM

I went to a custom design place. The guy was extremely passionate about furniture design! I told him about my space and my family members and how we use the lounge, and he designed what he thought would suit. I'm always indecisive, so he was really helpful for me!

#16 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 10 April 2020 - 03:11 PM

I should add we ordered ours with American Oak coloured shelves - it does not appear as an option online but you can do a phone order and request it.

I also love King as I stuffed up building one of the shelves and put a hole in it and they replaced the item free of charge- I was expecting to pay but instead great customer service.

As I mentioned upthread I wanted the Jasper 15 years ago, still love it, very happy with it. Have also seen the Jasper is the living room sofa in most people’s homes in different configurations or the Delta if they have less room.

Edited by Veritas Vinum Arte, 10 April 2020 - 03:14 PM.

#17 -Emissary-

Posted 10 April 2020 - 03:17 PM

We bought our sofas from plush when they had their 55% off discount. We ended up with the Santa Monica sofas (https://www.plush.co...nta-monica-sofa) in fabric as DH didn’t let me get leather.

I basically went to every furniture store and sat on all their sofas to find the most comfortable one. I kept going back to the plush one so we ended up with a 4 seaters for the living room and 3 seaters in the entertainment room.

Probably shouldn’t have bought white (4 seaters) though but we chose that as we didn’t think we were going to have another child...lol

Edited by -Emissary-, 10 April 2020 - 03:17 PM.

#18 anon1071

Posted 10 April 2020 - 04:03 PM

I noticed that there’s a huge jump in price if you chose leather at King.

#19 dadwasathome

Posted 10 April 2020 - 04:06 PM

View Postanon1071, on 10 April 2020 - 04:03 PM, said:

I noticed that there’s a huge jump in price if you chose leather at King.

The tru touch is really good quality leather

#20 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 10 April 2020 - 04:13 PM

Edited by Veritas Vinum Arte, 10 April 2020 - 04:15 PM.

#21 JustMyGirl

Posted 10 April 2020 - 09:04 PM

View PostVeritas Vinum Arte, on 10 April 2020 - 02:18 PM, said:

I recently purchased 2 x King Living sofas (never purchase at full price they have revolving discounts so waited for the version I wanted to be discounted).

https://www.kinglivi...ing-living-sale

We have the King Delta Sofas in the front room - these can be easily changed around. We purchased package 1 deluxe plus and we purchased 2 extra box ends. That way we can do L shaped sofa, 2 x normal sofas, easily converts to sofa beds etc. currently have one sofa set up as a double ended day bed (so the back cushions are on the ends and the usual box ends are on the back). The detla is great for different variations.

The other one we have is the Jasper. We have the 1A package and it is great for our living room. Fits our family of 5 on it to watch a movie together without fighting. As we purchased both sofas in the same fabric, we actually use the single chair base of the Delta as an extra ottoman for the Jasper.

We went fabric as I don’t like leather for sofas.

ETA I had wanted a Jasper (too big for our space then) or Delta, 15 years ago and DH vetoed me. When it came to new sofas for our newly extended/renovated house I knew what I wanted.

We still have Ikea Poang chairs upstairs in the kids rumpus with an Ikea soederhamn chaise which were our actual chairs we used for over 2 yrs when the old sofa died (and while living in small apartment during build). We got the poang foot rest as well. We sometimes had the chairs spread out so kids could not reach eachother.

https://www.ikea.com...eige-s19240788/

https://www.ikea.com...grey-s39900815/

we were looking at the Jasper earlier in the year. What I wondered was how many people it could seat when you have people over - which means nobody is lying down on the chaise. The chaise is such a big part of it that I thought it was limiting the usefulness of it when entertaining. I assume when you say it fits your family of five that includes people lying on the chaise?

#22 Dianalynch

Posted 10 April 2020 - 09:12 PM

If you can’t decide, you get your current sofa taken away so you have no sofa. You will find you then decide very quickly.

#23 anon1071

Posted 10 April 2020 - 10:15 PM

View PostDianalynch, on 10 April 2020 - 09:12 PM, said:

If you can’t decide, you get your current sofa taken away so you have no sofa. You will find you then decide very quickly.

Ok

#24 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 10 April 2020 - 10:41 PM

View PostJustMyGirl, on 10 April 2020 - 09:04 PM, said:

we were looking at the Jasper earlier in the year. What I wondered was how many people it could seat when you have people over - which means nobody is lying down on the chaise. The chaise is such a big part of it that I thought it was limiting the usefulness of it when entertaining. I assume when you say it fits your family of five that includes people lying on the chaise?

Yes that is 5 across the 3 sitting positions (2 seater and chaise) where we are all seated looking at TV (so facing same direction). As for seating for guests you could probably get two sitting on the chaise more formally if needed. We had a function at our house and probably had 8 people sitting chatting on the Jasper at once.

#25 Tinky Winky Woo

Posted 10 April 2020 - 11:29 PM

Don't go leather IMO.  We ended up putting covers over ours.  It's hot in Summer, cold in Winter and gets so dirty so quickly.  Plus it's a bit noisy when you move around on it.

I miss my fabric sofas.  Ikea's make some comfy sofas and you can change the covers on them

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.