Holiday homes during COVID-19

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#1 Lifesgood

Posted 09 April 2020 - 07:03 PM

I know in NSW visiting your holiday home has been prohibited. Not sure about other states. I also know several people who are currently at holiday homes.

It is a confusing rule (in terms of 'why?') and am not sure how to feel about it.

What do others think?

#2 Mrs Zee

Posted 09 April 2020 - 07:06 PM

Apparently our local media added to the confusion this morning, by promoting it as being ok as long as you own the accommodation. 🤦‍♀️

Yet we've had weeks of council and local police saying anyone caught here (not at primary residence) will be fined with no warning.

Eta: I think the reason behind it is pretty straight forward though. 🤷‍♀️ it's to not overwhelm local health services and who help slow the spread. Our area is one of the 13 named as places concerning NSW health this week. There have been tonnes of local posts about people calling crime stoppers to report non permanent residents and reports of police visiting homes to check if there are any breaches.

Edited by Mrs Zee, 09 April 2020 - 07:08 PM.

#3 José

Posted 09 April 2020 - 07:08 PM

i dont find it a confusing rule.
the guidelines are stay put. travelling to anywhere is not staying put.
you might need to stop for petrol, you might need to purchase supplies while you are there. you will interact with others.
increased movement of people increases potential movement of the virus.

#4 Riotproof

Posted 09 April 2020 - 07:09 PM

Not to mention putting extra load on hospitals in presumably regional areas.

#5 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 09 April 2020 - 07:09 PM

i think driving down now is a “no” and you’re likely to be caught. people who are lucky enough to have them maybe  decamped there a month or so ago (and stayed there) - when it wasn’t in breach of anything to do so (as far as i can tell) - the locals aren’t happy - so maybe they should stay away. it’s a tough one...

#6 IamOzgirl

Posted 09 April 2020 - 07:12 PM

Yeah I don't understand why people are questioning this.

#stay the f home!

You won't stay in the property you will need supplies, no one is that perfect that the have everything they need in their party and remeber to pack it.

#7 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 09 April 2020 - 07:13 PM

I have friends who live in a tourist area - lots of shacks and camping.

They have been saying the shack owners have been rolling in all day from all over the state and there are still caravans and trailer with motorbikes rolling in.

Locals are not happy.

ETA I know some people would not need to use the shops or anything as they would I go fully prepared with food and fuel but that I would think is a minority.

Edited by ~Jolly_F~, 09 April 2020 - 07:39 PM.

#8 SkeptiHandsOnMum

Posted 09 April 2020 - 07:18 PM

I suspect that there is an element of mistrust that people who think that it is "essential" to travel will also think that it is essential to stop on the way for snacks, for petrol, to go to the beach, to buy their coffee, to go to the supermarket, the hardware store etc etc.

#9 ipsee

Posted 09 April 2020 - 07:23 PM

It is to stop infected people from big cities bringing the disease to small communities that don’t have any cases yet. It only takes one person to set off a chain of infections that can’t be stopped. The travel ban makes sense to me.

#10 Lifesgood

Posted 09 April 2020 - 07:37 PM

Yes that all makes sense.

I'm amazed at the number of people I know of who have chosen to ignore the rule.

#11 JRA

Posted 09 April 2020 - 07:52 PM

In Vic it is legal to go your OWN holiday home, but they are saying DON'T DO IT

What do I think? I think STAY AT HOME - ie your main residence

We are having the first Easter in 25 years we have not gone to our holiday home. We generally spend about 18 weeks of the year there PLUS lots of weekends. We did a count one year, and we spent as many nights there as here. But no, we have not gone.

#12 Dustyblue

Posted 09 April 2020 - 07:59 PM

We live in a tourist/beach area, but I don't know if that many people are actually staying in their holiday/beach houses.

I know of a couple of families who'd stocked the fridge on their last trip, so sent one adult down to clear out the fridge and lock up properly. Seems reasonable.

I think it's pretty clear, in that if you're lucky enough to have a 2nd 'holiday' house, you must choose where you're staying for the duration. No to-and-from.

#13 Bethlehem Babe

Posted 09 April 2020 - 08:01 PM

Nsw is saying main residence only.

It’s Also the load on the hospital and gps - to get to our nearest base hospital, you go by helicopter, plane or road ambulance for 2 hours each way. That takes a lot of resources, unnecessarily.

Edited by Bethlehem Babe, 09 April 2020 - 08:25 PM.

#14 got my tinsel on

Posted 09 April 2020 - 08:02 PM

Our idiot neighbours have a permanent van at a caravan park a couple of hours away.  They go regularly - sometimes every weekend in Summer.

A couple of weeks ago, they packed a huge esky in the car, and bags of clothes (I think they were looking to stay for a while) and headed off late morning.  They were back by that evening.

I know the caravan park has a lot of permanent residents (mostly elderly) and I suspect that neighbours were refused entry by the park management because they are not living there permanently.  If that's what happened, good on the park management.

#15 JRA

Posted 09 April 2020 - 08:04 PM

View PostDustyblue, on 09 April 2020 - 07:59 PM, said:

I know of a couple of families who'd stocked the fridge on their last trip, so sent one adult down to clear out the fridge and lock up properly. Seems reasonable.

DH went down about 3 or 4 weeks ago to clear out the fridge and bring technology back, with the theory that we wouldn't be back for ages, and well, all technology is required here due to studying/working from home, and just from a security perspective

#16 amdirel

Posted 09 April 2020 - 08:07 PM

It's really not confusing at all.

#17 Chelli

Posted 09 April 2020 - 08:11 PM

They have deployed helicopters in Tasmania to make sure they can see cars on roads heading to shacks. Police are everywhere where I live because it's a coronavirus hotspot now - our local hospital has been the source of the biggest outbreak in Tas. People going to shacks can potentially spread the virus to vulnerable permanent residents in the areas plus put further pressure on regional medical centres.

I hope everyone does the right thing and stays at home. That includes bloody politicians who have flouted their own rules.

#18 CCABW

Posted 09 April 2020 - 08:14 PM

Yeah it’s been pretty clear. Stay at home. Simples. Anyone risking going to their holiday house is a bloody idiot.

#19 Anon wife

Posted 09 April 2020 - 08:15 PM

I am torn on this one...I live in a beachside town that is a common tourist spot and also has an influx of holiday home owners at xmas, easter etc.  Our local facebook pages are overrun with crazy locals with their pitchforks out for anyone that dares enter our area.   However I emphasise with the owners of said holiday homes, as often their city dwelling is a small apartment and I can't imagine being in isolation especially with children in those apartments.  If I were to choose which place to be in isolation I know where I would choose to be.  I think if everyone is responsible then staying at their holiday homes shouldn't be any different to being in their city dwelling health wise.

#20 Mrs Zee

Posted 09 April 2020 - 08:19 PM

View Postipsee, on 09 April 2020 - 07:23 PM, said:

It is to stop infected people from big cities bringing the disease to small communities that don’t have any cases yet. It only takes one person to set off a chain of infections that can’t be stopped. The travel ban makes sense to me.

Where I live, it seems changes are you're more likely to get it here, at the coastal town, than in the big cities. If I didn't already live here, I sure as hell wouldn't be coming now.

#21 JRA

Posted 09 April 2020 - 08:21 PM

View PostMrs Zee, on 09 April 2020 - 08:19 PM, said:

Where I live, it seems changes are you're more likely to get it here, at the coastal town, than in the big cities. If I didn't already live here, I sure as hell wouldn't be coming now.
That is so true for our holiday house.

#22 annodam

Posted 09 April 2020 - 08:42 PM

I own a property on the Morn Peninsula, it was vacated last month.  I have been doing repairs/maintenance to the property (new carpets, new vinyl, new door, plus locks etc).
Every repair has been negotiated over the phone & paying tradies after looking at photos as proof of work completed.
I have new tenants moving in this weekend, from Sydney no less.  Yay back in business!
I'm getting the gutters done as well after Easter but that can be done whilst they're in there.
Now, I have to go down there this Saturday to hand them a set of keys to enter plus the replacement remotes as my REA is closed.
I have my rate notice in hand, 8 light fittings, a tin of paint & a bush to touch up a few bits & pieces.  Yes the previous tenants took my all light fittings & 2 internal doors, why?  Who the fk knows?!

Anyway, in VIC you're still allowed to travel to your holiday home as long as you stay put.
I know mine's not classed as a "holiday home" as such so I'm hoping I'll be able to drive there & back in a day.
Not the same I know but still nervous as hell!

#23 Rummonkey

Posted 09 April 2020 - 08:58 PM

View Postannodam, on 09 April 2020 - 08:42 PM, said:

I own a property on the Morn Peninsula, it was vacated last month.  I have been doing repairs/maintenance to the property (new carpets, new vinyl, new door, plus locks etc).
Every repair has been negotiated over the phone & paying tradies after looking at photos as proof of work completed.
I have new tenants moving in this weekend, from Sydney no less.  Yay back in business!
I'm getting the gutters done as well after Easter but that can be done whilst they're in there.
Now, I have to go down there this Saturday to hand them a set of keys to enter plus the replacement remotes as my REA is closed.
I have my rate notice in hand, 8 light fittings, a tin of paint & a bush to touch up a few bits & pieces.  Yes the previous tenants took my all light fittings & 2 internal doors, why?  Who the fk knows?!

Anyway, in VIC you're still allowed to travel to your holiday home as long as you stay put.
I know mine's not classed as a "holiday home" as such so I'm hoping I'll be able to drive there & back in a day.

I’m that part of town- I know a woman who’s been stopped twice this week alone (driving on the morn pen freeway) by police asking her where she was going. They are fining anyone who isn’t classified as essential travel. On the first police stop they rang her boss to clarify her story (she was off to work- in an essential health care job). Lots of police patrolling that road.

Edited by Rummonkey, 09 April 2020 - 08:59 PM.

#24 WaitForMe

Posted 09 April 2020 - 08:59 PM

View Postannodam, on 09 April 2020 - 08:42 PM, said:

I don't know the rules about holiday homes but I'd be taking the lease or some other proof its leased too. At that point its classified as work, surely.

#25 Etta

Posted 09 April 2020 - 08:59 PM

There are a lot of holiday houses where I live. Out on a walk this evening we spotted a lot of them with lights on. Our neighbours (holiday house) have been coming and going a bit over the last month. They are allowed to be here (Vic) but I hope they stay put now and don't think of anything else they need to travel back to Melbourne for.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.