Stage 4 - what do you think it looks like?

• Please log in to reply
243 replies to this topic

#1 Grassisgreen

Posted 03 April 2020 - 10:25 PM

In Victoria, Andrews said today he thinks there will be a stage 4 lockdown.

So what do you think stage 4 will look like, what changes will it mean?

#2 JRA

Posted 03 April 2020 - 10:27 PM

Perhaps like singapore has just gone to. Essential stores only - food, fuel, medical...  

https://www.straitst...rning-from-next

#3 RichardParker

Posted 03 April 2020 - 10:36 PM

Only allowed out at particular times to get food/medicine. No going to work for anyone who’s not really, really essential.

#4 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 03 April 2020 - 10:38 PM

i can’t see how it can get any stricter than this? we’re only allowed out for supplies and exercise. maybe they could stagger times etc...

#5 No Drama Please

Posted 03 April 2020 - 10:43 PM

It might be like some places overseas where they give you a document with your name and address on and you have to show it to the police and supermarket when you want to buy food. Only one person per household goes out and once a week. No schools no work. Temperature checks at supermarket. That’s the last stage I think?

#6 kiwi-girl

Posted 03 April 2020 - 10:44 PM

Lucrezia Bauble, on 03 April 2020 - 10:38 PM, said:

i can’t see how it can get any stricter than this? we’re only allowed out for supplies and exercise. maybe they could stagger times etc...

Easily can get stricter - more shops shut (think clothing stores, Spotlight, Bunnings - apart from trade for essential services, Kmart, newsagents, no takeaways from cafes or fast food places etc). May limit how many times a week you can leave house for supermarket/chemist. May limit how far from home you can travel.

#7 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 03 April 2020 - 10:47 PM

No Drama Please, on 03 April 2020 - 10:43 PM, said:

It might be like some places overseas where they give you a document with your name and address on and you have to show it to the police and supermarket when you want to buy food. Only one person per household goes out and once a week. No schools no work. Temperature checks at supermarket. That’s the last stage I think?

i actually have that now. it may be overkill...from my HR dept. ....but it confirms i work for an australian govt agency, my name, address and birthdate - and that i have just cause to be out of my house ....strange times.

#8 No Drama Please

Posted 03 April 2020 - 10:50 PM

Already? Omg, you know it’s probably going to happen but when it does it’s no less alarming.

#9 can'tstayaway

Posted 03 April 2020 - 10:52 PM

Lucrezia Bauble, on 03 April 2020 - 10:47 PM, said:

i actually have that now. it may be overkill...from my HR dept. ....but it confirms i work for an australian govt agency, my name, address and birthdate - and that i have just cause to be out of my house ....strange times.
Maybe your workplace is getting organised ahead of a stage 4 lockdown.

BTW Singapore is now shutting down schools to curb the spread.

#10 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 03 April 2020 - 10:53 PM

No Drama Please, on 03 April 2020 - 10:50 PM, said:

Already? Omg, you know it’s probably going to happen but when it does it’s no less alarming.

yeh....we got them on Wednesday. incredible times. I don’t think i want to live like this. it’s like the gestapo. i’m not convinced it’s necessary.

Edited by Lucrezia Bauble, 03 April 2020 - 10:54 PM.

#11 Mrs Zee

Posted 03 April 2020 - 10:53 PM

JRA, on 03 April 2020 - 10:27 PM, said:

Perhaps like singapore has just gone to. Essential stores only - food, fuel, medical...  

Yep come Tuesday they will be in lockdown for 4 weeks. Schools closed, only supermarkets, restaurants for takeaway, medical financial and security services allowed to operate.

They have 1,000 cases. 5 deaths. Evidence of community transmission and have traced infections to asymptomatic carriers.

#12 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 03 April 2020 - 10:56 PM

Mrs Zee, on 03 April 2020 - 10:53 PM, said:

Yep come Tuesday they will be in lockdown for 4 weeks. Schools closed, only supermarkets, restaurants for takeaway, medical financial and security services allowed to operate.

They have 1,000 cases. 5 deaths. Evidence of community transmission and have traced infections to asymptomatic carriers.

ok, well that doesn’t sound too bad. we’re in easter holidays nearly now. we could do four weeks with schools actually shut (not quasi as they have now)  if you can still do supermarkets. takeaway and medicine. And exercise.

#13 can'tstayaway

Posted 03 April 2020 - 10:58 PM

JRA, on 03 April 2020 - 10:27 PM, said:

Singaporean PM Lee from the article:

“We have decided that instead of tightening incrementally over the next few weeks, we should make a decisive move now, to pre-empt escalating infections. We will therefore impose significantly stricter measures. This is like a circuit breaker," he said.

"It will help reduce the risk of a big outbreak occurring, and it should also help to gradually bring our numbers down. This in turn will then allow us to relax some of the measures. This circuit breaker will apply for one month, in the first instance."
Sounds sensible to me - he’s outlining why they are doing it, how long it is for, what the next step will be in a concise manner.

#14 RichardParker

Posted 03 April 2020 - 11:00 PM

The government must know something we dot about how bad this virus is. There’s no way they would shut down the entire economy over something that wasn’t that much of a risk.

#15 DontPokeTheBearMum

Posted 03 April 2020 - 11:01 PM

RichardParker, on 03 April 2020 - 11:00 PM, said:

The government must know something we dot about how bad this virus is. There’s no way they would shut down the entire economy over something that wasn’t that much of a risk.

That has been my thought process as well. They know something we don't.

#16 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 03 April 2020 - 11:02 PM

they should release the modelling. the govt is getting frustrated with a “non compliant” population but we’re scared and anxious and we don’t know what is happening. they need to be straight with us.

Edited by Lucrezia Bauble, 03 April 2020 - 11:04 PM.

#17 can'tstayaway

Posted 03 April 2020 - 11:02 PM

Lucrezia Bauble, on 03 April 2020 - 10:56 PM, said:

ok, well that doesn’t sound too bad. we’re in easter holidays nearly now. we could do four weeks with schools actually shut (not quasi as they have now)  if you can still do supermarkets. takeaway and medicine. And exercise.
Our government isn’t on the preemptive circuit breaker path.

Our government has consistently said restrictions (Morrison doesn’t even like the words shut down, let alone lockdown) it will be in place for at least 6 months.

We likely have more community transmissions that are not known or accounted for. Singapore is being proactive and not claiming to be world leaders in their response. They are getting on with keeping infections down instead of playing catch up and patting themselves on the back.

#18 -Emissary-

Posted 03 April 2020 - 11:03 PM

No, they just realised the hospitals won’t cope.

If we can build hospitals overnight and have a bed in ICU for everyone who needs it, I reckon the Government will probably leave the virus to run wild and only expect elderly and vulnerable people to go into lock down.

#19 RichardParker

Posted 03 April 2020 - 11:11 PM

Yeah, but it must be more than the usual “not coping” of a hospital.

#20 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 03 April 2020 - 11:12 PM

I agree, mostly because their words really don’t seem to match their actions.

Actions are hardcore but their words are all like we got this.

It’s still very mixed up messaging.

Although the premiers seem a bit more realistic with their delivery than the feds imo.

Dan Andrews has been a stand out during all this mess!

Edited by ~Jolly_F~, 03 April 2020 - 11:14 PM.

#21 can'tstayaway

Posted 03 April 2020 - 11:14 PM

https://www.brisbane...403-p54gyi.html

Health authorities have repeatedly warned that containment measures would likely not stop the virus even in Queensland, and the state’s Chief Health Officer Jeannette Young was particularly frank on Friday, admitting the strong measures put in place would almost certainly eventually fail.
There is community transmission that they were barely acknowledging.  It’s like a ticking time bomb and they’re doing very little to try and find it. Blaming the public for not social distancing when the CMO Murphy was claiming  ‘close contact’ is only “within 24 hours of someone becoming symptomatic or after they have become symptomatic” completely ignores the evidence of people being contagious with no or minimal symptoms.

Because of the policy path our government has chosen to follow, we are going to be stuck with restrictions for a longer period than if they acted sooner.

And the emails coming to light from the Ruby Princess’ medical officer is showing the NSW Premier to either be in the dark, incompetent or just a liar.

#22 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 03 April 2020 - 11:23 PM

The Qld chief health officer annoys me with her delivery (it’s her voice) but she had been pretty upfront all along, as has the Qld health minister that they can’t control this, they just needed to buy time to prepare.

#23 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 03 April 2020 - 11:24 PM

i think more may be revealed over the Ruby princess. that was a complete c*ck  up. rumour mill is in overdrive that there was a “connected” person on board...that it’s dutton snd the au pairs all over again, but this time with bio security thrown into it. i have no idea if any of these are accurate but it’s a tantalising story.

Edited by Lucrezia Bauble, 03 April 2020 - 11:24 PM.

#24 can'tstayaway

Posted 03 April 2020 - 11:47 PM

~Jolly_F~, on 03 April 2020 - 11:23 PM, said:

The Qld chief health officer annoys me with her delivery (it’s her voice) but she had been pretty upfront all along, as has the Qld health minister that they can’t control this, they just needed to buy time to prepare.
But they aren’t being upfront about WHY they can’t control this. They’re treating the public like muppets and drip feeding us information.

They keep congratulating themselves on how hard the health department is working on contact tracing and what a good job they’re doing (I don’t dispute the individuals are working hard), but what are the definitions of ‘contact’ that they’re using?  What are the rules and parameters they’re working to?  What’s their acceptable level of infection or death before acting?  They should be more transparent.

In New Zealand, now that they have fewer inbound travellers, they are starting to randomly test people to get a better gauge of their community transmissions.

The Singaporean’s are going into lockdown for approximately 65 new daily cases (56 being local). Their government is also changing the recommendations for wearing masks because it may help to minimise community transmissions for asymptomatic and pre-symptomatic carriers. Their government is actually issuing reusable masks to all households.

Edited by can'tstayaway, 03 April 2020 - 11:48 PM.

#25 NWO

Posted 04 April 2020 - 12:46 AM

Interesting what areas of the economy haven't shutdown as much as others, haven't adopted the wfh model as much as others, may be given preference for cc and schools spots, may have certain papers to show that others don't ....

Interesting that the people are confined to their houses, unable to meet physically with others to protest anything if they wanted to, maybe soon to be told when they can get food and provisions, many more now reliant on the gov for money to survive.

If you wanted to suppress a population of people in a peaceful way then you couldn't have written a better script than this one so far.

CMO gives a very positive update while the premiers of Australia's two most powerful states talk about going to stage4 ... interesting times :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.