Remote learning for High School

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 hills mum bec

Posted 03 April 2020 - 08:46 AM

What rules has your child's high school put in place for remote learning?

We are in SA so kids are in their final week of term 1.  DD15 was still at school until last week and this week she has been doing her school work at home.  She is loving it.  I have to say she is the type of person that was made for something like this.  She gets to do her school work in peace and quiet and not have to worry at all about the social side of school.

So this week the school puts out a list of rules for students that will be learning remotely at home in term 2:

Students must be wearing school uniform - fine

Students have to join every lesson on their timetable using Microsoft Teams - fine

Students must have a webcam and have it on during lesson time so that teachers know they are engaging in the lesson - fine

Students are not allowed to use a desk in their bedroom for their remote learning - what??

Apparently it's not appropriate for the whole class and the teacher to be able to see into other students bedrooms.  I kind of get this but sometimes there is not much of an option.  We have a study which I am using for working from home and I am on the phone a lot so can't really work in a common area of the house or with anybody sharing my space.  We have DD8 at home and DH is helping her with school work at the dining table.  DS18 is at home because he lost his job and because he can't go out anywhere he is sitting in front of the TV in the lounge most of the day.  DD15 loves her bedroom, when she got her first part time job last year one of the first things she spent money on was new bedroom furniture with a large desk for studying and she has it set up perfectly for remote learning.  I'm not really sure where else in the house we can put her for this and she is very upset about it.

I will give the school a call and find out their thoughts.  I'm hoping that they don't insist she goes to school if she has no other option but her bedroom.  Just thought I would check if any other high schools had put rules in place.

#2 seayork2002

Posted 03 April 2020 - 08:52 AM

Well for NSW Year 7 is the one year we are experiencing but from what I have seen on emails to parents I am guessing all years are the same?

Kids have to be online in google classroom at the start of every lesson, the roll is marked depending on how the teacher has set it up.

There is work given usually to be done in that lesson or asasignments.

He has 80% online learning and some books.

The maths teacher posts textbooks chapters but I have to print them as DS works better doing in on the paper.

We have had no rules set as such other than 'be here on time and do the work on time'

We only have the one child and we set up DS in the lounge as it is sunnier and more breeze and it feels less closed in so DH (and I when I get to work from home) can be silent so he has no distractions for any other source

#3 Sentient Puddle

Posted 03 April 2020 - 08:58 AM

I think schools are going to need to be flexible about this as if you have more than one child and one adult working from home this just wont be viable.

#4 JRA

Posted 03 April 2020 - 09:00 AM

ours dont have to be in uniform, but I know other schools need to.

Ours have their own webcams on at the start of the lesson for the role, and for home room, but not for the whole lesson, where as I think the teacher does have webcam on the whole time.

There was something about appropriate clothes, DS says they mentioned something about not being in bed.

#5 seayork2002

Posted 03 April 2020 - 09:01 AM

Sentient Puddle, on 03 April 2020 - 08:58 AM, said:

I think schools are going to need to be flexible about this as if you have more than one child and one adult working from home this just wont be viable.

Yes we only have one the child and DS and us are already struggling there is no way we cope with more that one child doing this - we have contacted the school to ask for help if it continues next term.

#6 seayork2002

Posted 03 April 2020 - 09:03 AM

I don't think DS has had a video event where the school can see him, DH told me there have been a couple of voice chats but only the teacher talking.

It is mostly just the google classroom typing chat thingy with the contact

#7 EsmeLennox

Posted 03 April 2020 - 09:05 AM

*snort*

1. Webcams on all the time may or may not be possible depending on bandwidth and lag with large groups. What about kids who don’t have a webcam? Such a privileged notion.

2. Joining every lesson will likely become unsustainable.

3. Uniform - unnecessary.

4. No students in bedroom - ridiculous.

Quite seriously, these schools are going to have to be far more flexible in their approach if they want kids to engage.

Edited by EsmeLennox, 03 April 2020 - 09:06 AM.

#8 tothebeach

Posted 03 April 2020 - 09:06 AM

What video app do they use?   Most allow you to blur your background (teams) or to drop an alternative background (zoom).   So it doesn’t matter what is happening in the background.  

I wish that my son needed to checkin via video.  They basically have a set of worksheets put up to do.   I’m not sure how they are being taught - he seems to just be copying things off the internet as answers.   And I’m finding it a trial to fight with him to come out of his room to work.

#9 JRA

Posted 03 April 2020 - 09:07 AM

The alternate background in zoom does not always work. It is really designed to work with a green screen behind you, it doesnt need to be a green screen but a varied background can end up completely losing the person as well.

#10 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 03 April 2020 - 09:09 AM

We got a big old lost yesterday about the expectations of student and parents.

They have to be dressed appropriately, fine.

Not allowed in bedrooms - there are 3 of them who will be remotely learning plus me studying at the same time. We can’t all be at the damn dining table.

Expected to attend all classes as per normal - I don’t know if this will work long term but again fine.

Parents were to make sure the home environment was reasonably quiet and children are not interrupted during class time - seriously how the hell do I do that with a primary school kid who is going to need me to guide her and especially if they aren’t allowed to do it in their bedroom!!!

It was about 4 pages long, so I am sure there is more.

#11 tothebeach

Posted 03 April 2020 - 09:11 AM

JRA, on 03 April 2020 - 09:07 AM, said:

The alternate background in zoom does not always work. It is really designed to work with a green screen behind you, it doesnt need to be a green screen but a varied background can end up completely losing the person as well.
True - it needs to be a fairly blank background.

#12 toc76

We are using microsoft teams with our students. I know that with microsoft teams you can blur the background during web conferencing.  It is an option in the menu bar that appears on the screen during a conference.

#13 EsmeLennox

tothebeach said:

1585868782[/url]' post='18603269']
What video app do they use?   Most allow you to blur your background (teams) or to drop an alternative background (zoom).   So it doesn’t matter what is happening in the background.  

I wish that my son needed to checkin via video.  They basically have a set of worksheets put up to do.   I’m not sure how they are being taught - he seems to just be copying things off the internet as answers.   And I’m finding it a trial to fight with him to come out of his room to work.

It seems to be dependant on hardware a bit, too. For eg, I can’t blur the background on my laptop camera in MS to Teams, but with my regular webcam I can.

It’s becoming increasingly obvious that Zoom has some massive security issues. If my school were asking my kids to use Zoom, I’d be saying ‘thanks, but no thanks.’

As for checking in, I think as schools move into Term 2 some processes for monitoring attendance other than physical check in will start. For example, teachers can run reports to see that students are signing in to the learning management systems, regular work submission, regular communication, etc are ways of monitoring ‘attendance’ that don’t require a visual.

There are schools out there that need to get a grip. They should try talking to their state distance education provider to get some tips on not completely alienating your student and parent body, by the sounds of it.

Edited by EsmeLennox, 03 April 2020 - 09:14 AM.

#14 seayork2002

Posted 03 April 2020 - 09:12 AM

tothebeach, on 03 April 2020 - 09:06 AM, said:

50,000 different ones, a slight exxageration but there are a lot of trials which have not worked (we have no problems with this! we get the teachers are trying their best)

I think there is a zoom one later today

#15 Wahwah

Posted 03 April 2020 - 09:15 AM

We haven’t started home schooling yet but the high school (vic) have sent out the directions. No uniform, kids need to login into each class as scheduled within 5 minutes for the role, do the work as directed and respond to class activities either via forum or webcam (not on all the time).

It all seems quite reasonable. I imagine the first few days will be tricky setting two teens up and getting them used to it. The difficulty will be space. Probably them on the big table, me in the lounge and him in the study.

#16 EsmeLennox

Posted 03 April 2020 - 09:16 AM

seayork2002, on 03 April 2020 - 09:12 AM, said:

50,000 different ones, a slight exxageration but there are a lot of trials which have not worked (we have no problems with this! we get the teachers are trying their best)

I think there is a zoom one later today
What state are you in? Public or private school?

#17 aluminium

Posted 03 April 2020 - 09:16 AM

You can't blur the background in Google Meet - which i know a lot of schools are using.

The bedroom rule is to protect student privacy, and to move them in the more public space of the family home - it's about accountability and re-framing thinking as usually a bedroom is a very private space. This matters for high school students.

Edited by aluminium, 03 April 2020 - 09:16 AM.

#18 seayork2002

Posted 03 April 2020 - 09:17 AM

EsmeLennox, on 03 April 2020 - 09:16 AM, said:

What state are you in? Public or private school?

Nsw public

#19 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 03 April 2020 - 09:18 AM

My kids wear PE uniform and worked in their bedrooms (as that is where their study desks are). I did make sure rooms are tidy and bed is made.

School said something along the lines of would prefer not Bedroom, but understand that is not possible for all. Noted alll lessons online would be recorded.

HS students are to be logged into each class as per timetable. PS student given the work at beginning of week due end of week.

#20 EsmeLennox

Posted 03 April 2020 - 09:18 AM

aluminium, on 03 April 2020 - 09:16 AM, said:

You can't blur the background in Google Meet - which i know a lot of schools are using.

The bedroom rule is to protect student privacy, and to move them in the more public space of the family home - it's about accountability and re-framing thinking as usually a bedroom is a very private space. This matters for high school students.

So it can be a choice, not a command.

There are going to be circumstances where this requirement will be impossible.

#21 EsmeLennox

Posted 03 April 2020 - 09:19 AM

seayork2002, on 03 April 2020 - 09:17 AM, said:

Nsw public

Surely their department has a web conferencing system available to all schools that is the recommended option?

#22 Sentient Puddle

Posted 03 April 2020 - 09:19 AM

I think schools will need to "reframe thinking" if they want any of this to work.  This will "matter" for family sanity where parents are working from home and still earning an income!!!  What a lot of tosh!

#23 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 03 April 2020 - 09:21 AM

I get it but practically we can’t have 5 of us in the common area doing online/phone classes and meetings - it’s not going to be good for any of us.

So there has to be some give and take or students are not going to stay engaged and it’s all going to become too hard and people will give up.

Edited by ~Jolly_F~, 03 April 2020 - 09:22 AM.

#24 aluminium

Posted 03 April 2020 - 09:22 AM

EsmeLennox, on 03 April 2020 - 09:18 AM, said:

So it can be a choice, not a command.

There are going to be circumstances where this requirement will be impossible.

I agree.

I dont know about other contexts but at my school we've had to speak with students about dressing appropriately, not being in bed for their class-meeting, and not discussing other people's rooms (we do not have the bedroom rule, or uniform rules in place, yet).

It's tricky.

#25 DirtyStreetPie

Posted 03 April 2020 - 09:24 AM

They need to relax the uniform requirement. Parents are already under the pump, working from home, not getting a reprieve, being cooped up at home... at least take away the extra laundry!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.