Childcare to become free

• Please log in to reply
355 replies to this topic

#1 needs to get out

Posted 02 April 2020 - 12:28 PM

https://www.abc.net....cement/12114110

I have several thoughts about childcare and how the current flaws of the system have been really exposed with this entire episode.

Will be interesting to see how this develops.

#2 Lou-bags

Posted 02 April 2020 - 12:32 PM

Gosh this is huge. I am hanging on for the details. I have to go to work to do parts of my job right now, and we’ve been agonizing over what to do about DS2 and childcare. I’m not an essential worker, though, so maybe won’t be eligible anyway.

This whole thing is a stressful nightmare.

#3 Mrs Claus

Posted 02 April 2020 - 12:37 PM

I hope it applies to family day care aswell. We are still paying for 2 days we aren’t using as everyone else is staying home

#4 CallMeFeral

Posted 02 April 2020 - 12:42 PM

About time. They've been dragging feet on this. I can understand why, they must be scrambling with the amount of stuff they've had to implement, but I feel like it really is at the point that the whole system will collapse if they don't solve it very quickly.

#5 Quay11

Posted 02 April 2020 - 12:50 PM

Community based government provided childcare and early childhood education would be much better than the corporatised mish-mash of low wages, high fees and heavy government subsidies that we have now.

#6 Steggles66

Posted 02 April 2020 - 12:55 PM

View PostLou-bags, on 02 April 2020 - 12:32 PM, said:

Gosh this is huge. I am hanging on for the details. I have to go to work to do parts of my job right now, and we’ve been agonizing over what to do about DS2 and childcare. I’m not an essential worker, though, so maybe won’t be eligible anyway.

This whole thing is a stressful nightmare.

Lou Bags Scomo stated that every job is essential. So if you have a job you get free child care.

#7 maryanneK

Posted 02 April 2020 - 12:55 PM

I don't understand this? What does "essential" mean? Does it include people working from home? I'm WFH but still need childcare in order to do my job at home, does that count?.

Why should it be free? If you still have a job why not continue paying for childcare?

Or are they trying to encourage people who have pulled their kids out voluntarily to put them back in and thereby keep childcare centres jobs afloat?

#8 Steggles66

Posted 02 April 2020 - 12:56 PM

View PostmaryanneK, on 02 April 2020 - 12:55 PM, said:

I don't understand this? What does "essential" mean? Does it include people working from home? I'm WFH but still need childcare in order to do my job at home, does that count?.

Why should it be free? If you still have a job why not continue paying for childcare?

Or are they trying to encourage people who have pulled their kids out voluntarily to put them back in and thereby keep childcare centres jobs afloat?

From my understanding that is exactly what they're trying to do.

#9 Mmmcheese

Posted 02 April 2020 - 12:59 PM

I am concerned that this is going to increase the spread of covid-19. Free child care, awesome, I'm all for it. But if people can stay home and keep their children at home, then we should be encouraging that. Social distancing is impossible with this age group. utterly impossible, the more children we have, the more risk for everyone.

#10 lozoodle

Posted 02 April 2020 - 01:01 PM

The article I read said for people who "physically need to be at work" so I would say it doesn't include people WFH.

#11 Mmmcheese

Posted 02 April 2020 - 01:13 PM

<p>The bit I read, said centres need to decide who gets it for free and who doesn't. Those who can't work from home should be prioritised. He also said the bit about children being fine at school, so children will be fine at childcare.
quote;
There is no health risk to children going to school or going to childcare. So that hasn’t changed.

I don't think there is enough information to state that categorically and I am incredibly concerned that he is sticking with that line.

Edited by Mmmcheese, 02 April 2020 - 01:19 PM.

#12 Evra

Posted 02 April 2020 - 01:13 PM

Our childcare centre just went out a message essentially saying this is the first they’ve heard of it and they have no further info.

#13 maryanneK

Posted 02 April 2020 - 01:18 PM

Doesn't sound like good policy to me. Unfairly discriminates between at home workers and on site workers. And making childcare free to people who need it because they are working and therefore are the ones most able to pay sounds backwards to me....

#14 Mollyksy

Posted 02 April 2020 - 01:20 PM

I assume it applies to OOSH too? I've been keeping DS home and just paying gap fees by using the 62 I think absences they increased it to. I was then going to have to pull him out if it wasnt back to normal. I'm hoping it means I can keep his place for free now and not use up absences and not pay gap fee. I just sent the OOSH a message saying I assume they knew nothing of it but to let  parents know once they have had a chance to work it all out!

#15 Ruby2Shoes

Posted 02 April 2020 - 01:22 PM

I'm interested more in whether our CCS will be affected if we keep our kids home for longer than the allowed absences (which I know has been extended to 62 days). I've got my kid at home currently but I want to keep our spot and support the centre, so I haven't withdrawn.

So I have about 12 weeks of absence to use up before CCS is affected, but the NSW chief copper said yesterday the current social distancing restrictions will be in place until end of June at least, so there's the 12 weeks gone already.

Edit: meant to add, I guess I'll keep evaluating the situation week by week and send her back when I can.

Edited by Ruby2Shoes, 02 April 2020 - 01:23 PM.

#16 MrsLexiK

Posted 02 April 2020 - 01:27 PM

We took “holidays” while Vic schools are on holidays. It’s easier as one of us has to be home anyway. My DH can’t physically take our children to work they cannot safely sit on a boat while he dives and works. That’s why we have the option of day care. At present I’m able to WFH when he needs to be on site (well in site) or work different hours. However once school goes online or back we are in a pickle as to whether DS2 stays home or goes to kinder/day care even if it’s just much shorter days. He won’t let learning and working happen. Plus he is in his kinder year which for him is super important.

My sister if they had kids wouldn’t be able to do this with her construction DH as she is a nurse and he is on job sites. This is why it’s obviously more needed for those that have to be present on site then those who can work from home. WFH with kids is generally a safe thing. Bringing kids onsite is generally unsafe.

#17 SummerStar

Posted 02 April 2020 - 01:27 PM

Edited by SummerStar, 05 April 2020 - 09:47 AM.

#18 hills mum bec

Posted 02 April 2020 - 01:34 PM

View PostmaryanneK, on 02 April 2020 - 01:18 PM, said:

Doesn't sound like good policy to me. Unfairly discriminates between at home workers and on site workers. And making childcare free to people who need it because they are working and therefore are the ones most able to pay sounds backwards to me....

I watched the press conference.  They said that everybody gets free childcare, there won't be some families that get charged and some get it for free.  Childcare centres will send their final bills to families up to the end of this week and then they will not be billing anybody for the next 6 months.  It doesn't matter if you are working or not, you are still entitled to free child care but for families that are working will be given priority for spots followed by vulnerable children.

View PostMollyksy, on 02 April 2020 - 01:20 PM, said:

I assume it applies to OOSH too? I've been keeping DS home and just paying gap fees by using the 62 I think absences they increased it to. I was then going to have to pull him out if it wasnt back to normal. I'm hoping it means I can keep his place for free now and not use up absences and not pay gap fee. I just sent the OOSH a message saying I assume they knew nothing of it but to let  parents know once they have had a chance to work it all out!

They said it would also apply to OSHC.

View PostRuby2Shoes, on 02 April 2020 - 01:22 PM, said:

I'm interested more in whether our CCS will be affected if we keep our kids home for longer than the allowed absences (which I know has been extended to 62 days). I've got my kid at home currently but I want to keep our spot and support the centre, so I haven't withdrawn.

So I have about 12 weeks of absence to use up before CCS is affected, but the NSW chief copper said yesterday the current social distancing restrictions will be in place until end of June at least, so there's the 12 weeks gone already.

Edit: meant to add, I guess I'll keep evaluating the situation week by week and send her back when I can.

They are scrapping the previous system for the next six months so there will be no CCS or allowable absences under this new system and then after 6 months it will revert back to the old system.

#19 Mollyksy

Posted 02 April 2020 - 01:37 PM

I vote hills mum Bec as official govt spokesperson. I understood that explanation! Thank you!!

#20 hills mum bec

Posted 02 April 2020 - 01:41 PM

View PostMollyksy, on 02 April 2020 - 01:37 PM, said:

I vote hills mum Bec as official govt spokesperson. I understood that explanation! Thank you!!

Gosh!  I hope I got my facts right!

#21 Mmmcheese

Posted 02 April 2020 - 01:47 PM

This is what Dan Tehan said;

Can anyone take advantage of the free childcare, including those working from home?

Dan Tehan says there will be a priority list:

So what we are going to ask the centres is to prioritise and they should prioritise obviously those who need their children cared for because they are working and working where they can’t care for their children safely at home.
For them to prioritise as well vulnerable children who need that continuity of care as well and then to re-engage with those parents who have taken their children out of care to see whether they can be accommodated as necessary as well, but there is a clear priority list that we want centres to take into account.
The most important of those are those essential workers and the vulnerable children.

#22 Mrs Claus

Posted 02 April 2020 - 01:53 PM

Family day care?

#23 Ruby2Shoes

Posted 02 April 2020 - 01:55 PM

So do they mean prioritise in terms of make sure there's a space for them, or prioritise in terms of who gets free care?

I've been reading the ABC news updates on the press conference but I think I need a full transcript - I'm still not convinced despite your efforts hills mum bec!

(will happily stand corrected though!)

#24 Mmmcheese

Posted 02 April 2020 - 01:58 PM

everyone gets free care, but essential workers and vulnerable families are prioritised. (but the centres work out who's prioritised??? and everyone's essential??)

we have an abundance of private centres around us, so everyone hopefully gets a spot if they need it.

#25 Ruby2Shoes

Posted 02 April 2020 - 02:01 PM

Here's a bit more from Dan Tehan:

Federal Education Minister Dan Tehan said the childcare sector would be overhauled to provide free care for working parents from next week.

"The old system was drafted for a pre-pandemic time," he said.

"We'll be moving to a different childcare system as of Sunday night. It will be a system that will mean parents will get their child care for free.

"Can I say to all of those parents: what we want to do by doing this is ensure your childcare centre will remain open so that where you normally take your child to get cared for, that will be there for you so you are not looking to have to go to a new centre."

So sounds promising

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.