How to make your child’s birthday special during lockdown

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 3rd time lucky

Posted 01 April 2020 - 05:08 PM

As the title suggests... for those whose children have a birthday during this lockdown... which will be a large amount probably!!... how can we make it feel a bit special!!!???

My DD is turning 12... she loves books, which luckily I can order online easily enough as her gift.

I thought maybe going a bit overboard decorating the house for her birthday, and of course, her choice of breakfast, lunch and dinner.

#2 Jingleflea

Posted 01 April 2020 - 05:12 PM

DD turns 10 the week after Easter.

I'm not sure how I'll celebrate it.

There might be a video call with family though.

#3 cstar

Posted 01 April 2020 - 05:19 PM

We are going to make a ridiculous cake of some kind , like 6 layers of chocolate on chocolate, hopefully i can get their presents on line, other than that not sure

14 years old here

#4 JomoMum

Posted 01 April 2020 - 05:31 PM

Does she enjoy cake decorating? One of our local cake ladies is doing DIY at home packs for cakes and cupcakes at the moment with everything you need supplied.

Can you get in touch with any of her close friends? Maybe to organise a group chat or pre recorded video messages?

I hope she has a nice birthday.

#5 Rainbowbear

Posted 01 April 2020 - 05:34 PM

DD did a group video chat with friends and they all had so much fun, is that possible?

#6 nellie_

Posted 01 April 2020 - 06:13 PM

A bit different as my daughter was turning 4 but making the day special turned out to be surprisingly easy. I asked her what she most wanted to do and surprisingly it was to make her own birthday cake.

She picked the flavour and shape and decoration and had so much fun making it. We also went for a walk in the 'woods' aka the bike track near our house, had a picnic lunch in the garden and I had planned to roast marshmallows over tealight candles in the backyard but we had so many other fun things to do we never quite got to it.

#7 eachschoolholidays

Posted 01 April 2020 - 06:31 PM

Yes, choosing the food for the day is awesome! And it could help support local restaurants.  

I had my birthday on the weekend. I picked all the meals for the day. DH picked up fresh croissants from a bakery for breakfast, then we got sushi and sashimi for lunch and then we got Thai takeaway for dinner.  He had also organised a cake from a bakery.  It was amazing!

#8 PhillipaCrawford

Posted 01 April 2020 - 06:44 PM

I decided to make a mirror glaze cake.
I thin the cake ideas win.

Maybe something to grow?
On line order from bunnings - bulbs.

#9 JK4

Posted 01 April 2020 - 06:50 PM

My DS birthday is over Easter. Poor kid has had both his birthday party and trip to visit with cousins who live regionally cancelled. Fortunately we decided to cancel his party at an early stage so we have an extra special present which he otherwise would not have received. I will still bake the cake he had chosen for the party on his birthday day and will let him choose a takeaway dinner (which is not usually in the budget).

#10 smiley~kylie

Posted 01 April 2020 - 07:50 PM

My cousin turns 30 in a few days. My Aunty is secretly messaging all her friends and family asking them to make a short video of birthday wishes. My cousins bf is a bit of a wiz on the computer so is going to splice the videos with childhood photos and make a nice video for her.

My son turns 18 at the end of the month. He doesn’t want a party (he’s on the spectrum and doesn’t have friends) but I still wanted to do something nice for him. He lives in disability accomodation so at this rate I don’t even know if I’ll be able to go see him :cry:

#11 MarchyMama

Posted 01 April 2020 - 08:10 PM

My eldest's birthday is on the 20th, I'm asking this week for all of my friends who are all over the place to send her some cards in the post, so she feels a bit special about something. She's turning seven and we were going to have a night at a local hotel in a spa suite. We still might do that yet depending on what the rules are by then, but if it's not going to happen we will still have a voucher for her to do that at some point later in the year.

I just hope that the cards get here in an ok time.

#12 PrincessPeach

Posted 01 April 2020 - 08:13 PM

2 x kids birthdays happening this month.

So we've hit up pintrest for cake ideas & i've managed to secure their favourite food to make dinner for them.

#13 VigilantePaladin

Posted 01 April 2020 - 08:43 PM

I turn 46 on Sunday......

#14 KnightsofNi

Posted 01 April 2020 - 08:55 PM

Both my kids have birthdays in May. I have bought a bunch of decorations. Will have all their favourite foods, favourite movie, order some presents online and generally make a fuss. Might get everyone in the family to send cards. A pile of cards should make it extra fun.
Not much more I can do I don’t think.

#15 The new me

Posted 01 April 2020 - 10:09 PM

DD turnin 16 this weekend
Our trip to Italy was cancelled as was her learners test so she is a bit down.  Can't even go to beach to see family.

We are making cake, and fairy bread
Will have a silent disco, and a movie night
I am also letting her dye her hair for the first time
Was going to be done by hairdresser but packet mix it is

Will face time with family and friends as well as her dad

#16 Mrs Twit

Posted 01 April 2020 - 10:32 PM

Oh it's a bit crap isn't it.

It's my birthday this week but I don't really mind not doing anything. I'm going to make myself a cake and have a drink online with a couple of girlfriends who I am missing.

But it's my DDs 15th on the weekend. She is so disappointed not to be having a party or even doing anything with her friends. She wants to make a fancy cake and either get takeaways or dinner of her choice, and movie of her choice. I'm not sure what else to do. I haven't even been able to get her the presents I wanted to. I have a couple of little things, but she will have to take an IOU for her main present :(

Edited by Mrs Twit, 01 April 2020 - 10:33 PM.

#17 BusbyWilkes

Posted 02 April 2020 - 01:22 AM

Not sure of budget restrictions...
My teen DD has an upcoming bday too. We were thinking about getting a small group of her friends together over Houseparty and having the favourite takeaway birthday dinner delivered to all of them - so they can chat, laugh and be silly while eating their favourite dinner, just as planned before restrictions came along.

#18 ~Kay~

Posted 05 April 2020 - 10:37 AM

My DD turned 13 today.

Last night she had a virtual party with her closest friends. We dropped a complete dinner at their door including a Dominos pizza each, a can of soft drink, a cup cake and a party bag with a few wrapped lollies, party poppers, sparklers and a balloon.

She was on the phone to them all while we delivered and then went home for a video chat.

They had a really fun time. Definitely a night she'll remember.

#19 No Drama Please

Posted 05 April 2020 - 12:01 PM

View PostVigilantePaladin, on 01 April 2020 - 08:43 PM, said:

I turn 46 on Sunday......
Happy birthday!!!

#20 onetrick

Posted 05 April 2020 - 12:10 PM

Thank you so much for this thread- we have the majority of family bdays in March-May so I might be stealing a few ideas!
I actually love the idea of a house party where everyone gets food delivered and eats it together. So cute!

#21 Atomac

Posted 05 April 2020 - 09:00 PM

The little boy next door had his birthday yesterday and his parents organised for family and friends to drive past the house in a line, beeping the car horn and yelling happy birthday. There was about 20 cars in the line and some had signs and streamers on their cars.

#22 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 05 April 2020 - 09:08 PM

a kid in DS’s class has a birthday tomorrow...his mum has booked in a zoom meeting and has prearranged for kids in the class to draw cards or write messages to him which they’ll show up in the zoom meeting.

#23 Lady Monteagle

Posted 06 April 2020 - 10:19 AM

DS13-in-2-weeks is getting a sh*t ton of DVDs this year.... including some we told him he wasn't going to be old enough yet... (i'll just watch them with him to check content...)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.