Covid Isolation Playdate

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 sealie

Posted 31 March 2020 - 09:13 PM

Two families live 100 metres apart. One of the families, with 2 kids come up and spend a few hours with the other family's two kids today - a playdate with ball sports in the front garden. What do I do, doesn't seem right.

All four kids around early teenage years.
Just the kids moving from one house to the other, although parent came to collect the two later but stayed at the front fence.

Edited by sealie, 31 March 2020 - 09:21 PM.

#2 magic_marker

Posted 31 March 2020 - 09:28 PM

Was it a kick to kick and they stayed 1.5 metres from each other? Or were they in close contact? Football? Soccer? Or closer contact such as basketball? Need context.

#3 PandoBox

Posted 31 March 2020 - 09:28 PM

I don't know why I find this post so weird.

Maybe both of the families are self isolating and have a trust system happening..technically they're breaking rules but not really.

Id mind my own business in this instance.

If I saw a large gathering that would raise more of an eyebrow.

#4 sealie

Posted 31 March 2020 - 09:29 PM

Basketball - teenage style, fun, some scragging I would be sure.

Edited by sealie, 31 March 2020 - 09:30 PM.

#5 Soontobegran

Posted 31 March 2020 - 09:31 PM

You call the police.

#6 Freddie'sMum

Posted 31 March 2020 - 09:36 PM

Isn't this what we are not supposed to be doing?

One of the reasons our kids are struggling to adjust to this new normality is that they can't see their friends / go and play sports etc.  It defeats the purpose if other people do the stuff we are all told not to do.

#7 IkeaAddict

Posted 31 March 2020 - 09:39 PM

This is definitely something we shouldn't be doing. My son has been having threeway virtual playdates with his school friends over facetime. That's as close to his friends as he will be getting

#8 Bearynice

Posted 31 March 2020 - 09:40 PM

I’m not sure what people find so difficult to understand from the instructions stay at home.

They are breaking the rules

#9 PandoBox

Posted 31 March 2020 - 09:47 PM

View PostFreddie, on 31 March 2020 - 09:36 PM, said:

Isn't this what we are not supposed to be doing?

One of the reasons our kids are struggling to adjust to this new normality is that they can't see their friends / go and play sports etc.  It defeats the purpose if other people do the stuff we are all told not to do.

The police doesn't have the resources to rock up over every call of 2 kids kicking the ball outside and these government resources shouldn't be used for such a purpose. It's petty and unnecessary and detrimental. They have other places they need to be.

Yes it LOOKS like they're breaking the rules..but you don't really know. What if they share a dad and they're siblings?

The reason why we have these restrictions is because people were gathering in an obvious and public way despite being told not to. The police will be showing up to calls of gatherings..so perhaps a group of teenagers having a party.

They will not be showing up to tell Johnny that his bored  neighbour saw him kick a ball to Martin and Alice when really it should have just been Martin.

#10 Stoked

Posted 31 March 2020 - 09:52 PM

View PostPandoBox, on 31 March 2020 - 09:47 PM, said:

Yes it LOOKS like they're breaking the rules..but you don't really know. What if they share a dad and they're siblings?
Groan... Typical EB with its "what ifs"! They'd still be two separate households so the rules apply.

#11 sealie

Posted 31 March 2020 - 09:55 PM

Definitely two separate families.

#12 CallMeFeral

Posted 31 March 2020 - 09:59 PM

Is this in a state where school has been closed?

#13 wilding

Posted 31 March 2020 - 10:03 PM

View PostStoked, on 31 March 2020 - 09:52 PM, said:

Groan... Typical EB with its "what ifs"! They'd still be two separate households so the rules apply.

Not all of us are mangels ;)
(Tongue in cheek before everyone and the father comes after it 😂)

Edited by wilding, 01 April 2020 - 12:00 AM.

#14 amdirel

Posted 31 March 2020 - 10:05 PM

View PostStoked, on 31 March 2020 - 09:52 PM, said:

Nope. Children from separated households can still continue seeing their other parent.

#15 Jen1

Posted 31 March 2020 - 10:10 PM

If it is two separate families then they aren't allowed to play together.  They can online, but not in real life. I have 4 teenagers and they aren't hanging out with their friends at all, I have told them it isn't allowed as the government has said.  3 of them have boyfriends and they aren't seeing them either. They are housebound unless they have work to go too.

#16 laridae

Posted 01 April 2020 - 03:52 AM

Our neighbours and the neighbours next to them are still playing together pretty much every day. There is no fence between their backyards (well, there was but it fell down in storms a few years ago). While technically breaking the rules, it's not something I would report. They are all home schooling/staying home otherwise.
Mine used to go over too, but I've stopped it. Told them they can talk through the window instead.

#17 SplashingRainbows

Posted 01 April 2020 - 04:26 AM

I’m very worried about what we are doing with the mental health of our kids and teenagers, and new mums. I think the fall out from this years down the track is going to be possibly more significant than the virus.

Personally, I would turn a blind eye.

Yes I’m staying home, so are my kids. No I’m not having play dates nor are my kids. But if a parent of teens felt kicking a ball outside was necessary, I’m not going to make it my business to stop it.

#18 Charli73

Posted 01 April 2020 - 05:52 AM

A friend lives in a street with around 10 kids under 10, from many houses and they are only now saying they can all still play together but in groups of two. It’s so wrong but there’s nothing I can do..

Edited by Charli73, 01 April 2020 - 05:54 AM.

#19 Jingleflea

Posted 01 April 2020 - 06:20 AM

AS long as the majority of us do the right thing, it'll help flatten the curve.

I heard 80% compliance is enough.

#20 marple

Posted 01 April 2020 - 06:50 AM

Couldn't those kids still be going  to school and spending  all day with each other? In NSW

#21 lozoodle

Posted 01 April 2020 - 06:57 AM

I still find it such a grey area. I mean we get outside to exercise and for my kids can include riding their bikes in the street outside. If the neighbours kids also happen to ride their bikes at the same time by chance, is this a break of rules or is this two separate families exercising?

#22 Mae55

Posted 01 April 2020 - 07:08 AM

We haven’t had any play dates since schools sh*t early here in. Victoria. Before that though, we did. The kids spent all day together at school so what difference does another few hours make on the weekend?

#23 sealie

Posted 01 April 2020 - 08:18 AM

Vic - School Holidays

#24 hills mum bec

Posted 01 April 2020 - 08:46 AM

I feel so sad that we have come to the point where we consider calling the police about kids playing together outside in the fresh air.  Yes, technically it is now illegal but it just feels wrong to report this.  We are in SA where schools are still on so it seems very odd that kids can play together on the oval at school but when they get home that same activity is against the law.

At what point does the harm to the mental health of our youth due to the isolation measures outweigh the risk of the virus spreading?  I really hope that a vaccine comes sooner rather than later because this level of social isolation is just not sustainable in the long term.

#25 liveworkplay

Posted 01 April 2020 - 10:38 AM

I just had to break it to my 16 year old she couldn't see her boyfriend from now on. She has gone to training with him everyday and spending at least a day of the weekend together to wholly chatting online. It is not nice and I would be p*ssed off at people flouting the rules whilst others are doing the right thing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.