Hire Car option - insurance

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 JustCurious100

Posted 31 March 2020 - 07:46 AM

I've tried googling this but all I got was results about rental cars - so I ask, do you have the hire car option on your car insurance policy? Has it been worth it or is it a money trap? Pros/cons?

Just looking at my policy and considering if it's worth it. Touch wood, I've never had a car accident (now I say that though...) but we both need cars to get to our respective jobs.

#2 SeaPrincess

Posted 31 March 2020 - 08:39 AM

We don’t. But we have enough of a buffer to pay for car hire if we needed to. Also DH works away, so half the time there are 2 cars in the driveway and only one person to drive them.

Edited by SeaPrincess, 31 March 2020 - 08:40 AM.

#3 *Marty*

Posted 31 March 2020 - 08:59 AM

we have it.  We have needed to use it 3-4 times for anywhere between 4 days and a week.  It is super handy, we just tell the insurance agency and they do all the bookings.  They also pay for a taxi from the mechanics to the hire car company.  We have no access to public transport and live out in the sticks so we really do need to have a car. Guess you need to weigh up the value to you as opposed to the value for money.

#4 hills mum bec

Posted 31 March 2020 - 10:26 AM

We have it and I used it when my car was hail damaged a few years ago and needed repairs.  Our biggest issue was that the insurance company had a preferred rental company and the only place to pick it up from was the airport which is 90 minutes away.  We ended up using a different rental company and the insurance reimbursed us but we did have to pay for it up front (including the annoying hold on our credit card) and waiting two weeks for reimbursement.  This was still better than not having the option for a hire car at all as we live regionally but work in the suburbs so can't get to work without a car.

#5 Cheesy Sanga

Posted 31 March 2020 - 10:32 AM

We don't have it as we have 2 cars so we could deal with using 1 only for a while if needed.

#6 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 31 March 2020 - 10:35 AM

We looked into this years ago but the type of car available would not work for us at the time (we had 3 kids in car seats) as the car was only a super compact car being offered. So reading all the fine print meant we didn’t go for it.

#7 Indi

Posted 31 March 2020 - 12:23 PM

I don't now as we have more than enough spare vehicles.  I had it in the past when the 3 kids were younger as while we had other cars, we didn't have one big enough for 3 car seats.  Our car was off the road for about a month and the insurance company provided a Ford Falcon that easily fit all 3 seats.

#8 xjrx

Posted 31 March 2020 - 02:16 PM

I have used it when my car was hail damaged and it was invaluable. My husband has trade vehicles but did not want to drive one for a week so was happy with my little hatch back provided. When the panel beater delayed collection of my vehicle due to being so busy it was no inconvenience to me either. Wouldn’t go without it.

#9 -Emissary-

Posted 31 March 2020 - 03:20 PM

My brother is with Allianz. He just had a car accident recently. Because he wasn’t at fault and had the detail of the other driver, he was given a rental car even though he didn’t take it out with his policy. Allianz organised it through a company called Right 2 Drive.

I don’t have it on my policy as we have two cars and really only use 1 (so my car sits with my mum and she uses it).

#10 Meepy

Posted 31 March 2020 - 04:53 PM

We have it and used it when our car was destroyed by a bloke on a driving rampage.  We had it for 3 weeks then it got hail damaged and we got a new rental car for the next month while they worked out they would write off our car.  It was well and truly worth it.

#11 rileys-mum

Posted 31 March 2020 - 05:05 PM

I do because I need my car for work.
As it turns out - a distracted driver ran into me last week. Causing significant damage. I was declared at no fault. Got the car into an assessment centre ASAP and hire car sorted.

Just been informed that part needs to come from Japan....... under normal conditions it would take 8 weeks to get here.... At the moment they have no idea how to even get it here let alone how long it will take. I am likely to have this hire car for use for a significant portion of this year.

So yes - include it in your policy. You never know when a pandemic will shut down world wide supply lines and industry 😆

#12 Grrrumbles

Posted 31 March 2020 - 07:51 PM

We have it for DH’s car as parts have been hard to get and it has been in the smash repair for longer than originally quoted each time. I don’t have it on mine.

It’s borderline for us, we don’t live too far away from work, schools etc but there are usually a few times a week where not having both cars would be a major inconvenience eg one person needing to get to an appointment while the other picks up both kids and takes them to an after school activity.

Once the children are older and can get themselves too and from school/activities then I will probably drop it.

#13 IamtheMumma

Posted 31 March 2020 - 09:29 PM

I do and I think its worth it. I had a hire car for 5 weeks once post accident. I now tell everyone to check their insurance and add it on. Usually less than $100 per year which is equal to a day's hire for a hire car (depending on what you get).

Not all insurance policies are equal. Allianz has a 21 day hire care option and they took the car back on day 21 despite me not having another car either by hire or purchase. Right2Drive stepped in but I was without a car for 48hrs and there wasn't a choice in car. It was just whatever was available in your area. Metro residents will have more choice.

AAMI has unlimited hire car for no fault and 21 days if your car is stolen.

Read the fine print.

#14 Charli73

Posted 31 March 2020 - 09:36 PM

Last two times I was without a car for 2 weeks and I had to pay out Pocket for a hire car it was awful.

Last time I had the at fault person Osh as I had the hire car for 4 weeks and it was worth it.

I would get the hire car option. How would you get to work, take kids places? It was worth it for us

#15 JustCurious100

Posted 01 April 2020 - 07:00 AM

Thank you all for your responses. I will read the fine print prior to clicking yes. On weekends we would be fine, it's just the weekdays where we would struggle. I only need a little buzz box to get around in so I'm not overly worried at the size of the car.

#16 Holidayromp

Posted 01 April 2020 - 09:07 AM

We have it as part of our car roadside assist package through our insurance company.  We have it on our main car so we are not stuck.

#17 Rilee's~Mama

Posted 01 April 2020 - 09:31 AM

I don't have it. I can get public transport to work, DD gets herself to school, and the supermarket is within walking distance.
A few years ago my old car had multiple stints at the mechanics and I coped just fine.

I know others don't have that luxury

#18 can'tstayaway

Posted 01 April 2020 - 10:17 AM

We have it included in our comprehensive insurance policy.  There’s no discount for removing it so we’ve left it on but haven’t bothered using it.

My car was stolen last year and the insurance broker organised a hire car for us. When we went to pick it up, there was the usual paperwork that required a credit card hold and we would have been liable to pay the $$$$ excess for any damage. We chose to not take the rental car and just make do with our other options.

#19 born.a.girl

Posted 01 April 2020 - 10:22 AM

can, on 01 April 2020 - 10:17 AM, said:

We have it included in our comprehensive insurance policy.  There’s no discount for removing it so we’ve left it on but haven’t bothered using it.

My car was stolen last year and the insurance broker organised a hire car for us. When we went to pick it up, there was the usual paperwork that required a credit card hold and we would have been liable to pay the $$$$ excess for any damage. We chose to not take the rental car and just make do with our other options.

That's why I'm always reluctant to take up the offer of a loan car, either for repairs or servicing.  We did have a very long service issue at one point (several weeks) and VW gave us a golf for the duration.  Issue was there was a $1,000 excess for ANY damage.  If it had been our own car, we might have just lived it with it, but if it was theirs, we were stuck with the payment even if it wasn't our fault.  I couldn't see them working too hard to chase the guilty party (if that was the case) if it was easy enough for them to charge us, if under $1,000.  I was nervous as hell driving it for that month.

I was one of the people affected recently with hail damage, inc windscreen so had to be towed.  Was offered a loan car, but with 3 x cars for 3 x people, we managed quite easily.

Obviously not the case for everyone.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.