Level 3 restrictions - those over 70

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 MadMarchMasterchef

Posted 29 March 2020 - 08:17 PM

Asking for my inlaws.  Is the recommendation now that they do not go out at all?   They live near a nature reserve so have been walking there most days and have been able to avoid coming anywhere near anybody else.

They have enough food for a couple of weeks and I have already suggested (insisted) I will do the next shop so they dont have to go there at all.

#2 #YKG

Posted 29 March 2020 - 08:23 PM

I believe that going for a walk in their own neighbourhood is fine, but not going to cafes etc, over 70’s are being asked to refrain from going anywhere that isn’t essential like shopping centres.

Edited by #YKG, 29 March 2020 - 08:24 PM.

#3 lozoodle

Posted 29 March 2020 - 08:34 PM

Theyve said going out for fresh air and some exercise is fine, its more about avoiding places with people. Going for a walk etc - all good :)

#4 Araucaria

Posted 29 March 2020 - 08:41 PM

My elderly relative is banned from going anywhere.  We live on 1/3 acre so she can sit in the sun in the backyard, under the patio, or next to the pool.  She can get plenty of sun.

#5 kadoodle

Posted 29 March 2020 - 08:44 PM

Walking but not in close contact is all good. My ILs are being cautious and getting groceries delivered, but there’s a lot of missing and substituted stuff.

#6 Manicmum

Posted 29 March 2020 - 08:45 PM

I rang my 80yo father to offer to do their shopping, but he likes the shops and I got the impression that he will still catch the bus to work. I think work may tell him no.

#7 Dianalynch

Posted 29 March 2020 - 08:49 PM

Walking - with no one else around - is a good idea, good for physical and mental health

if they can stay home other than the daily walk that would meet the recommendations

#8 Paddlepop

Posted 29 March 2020 - 09:12 PM

My mum and dad aren't going to take well to the restrictions. For a start they don't like thinking of themselves as elderly!

My mum is the one who does their grocery shopping so she'll continue with that, and she also visits her mum in a nursing home frequently. Prior to this she visited her about 6 out of every 7 days. I think she's been cutting it down to every 2nd or so day for a shorter visit, with her sister (also over 70) going on the alternate days so my grandma has a visitor most days. If they can't visit her my grandma will fret and have no idea what's going on. She has dementia and they're two of the only people she still recognises. As long as they're still allowed in the nursing home they'll be visiting her.

#9 kadoodle

Posted 29 March 2020 - 09:18 PM

Paddlepop, on 29 March 2020 - 09:12 PM, said:

My mum and dad aren't going to take well to the restrictions. For a start they don't like thinking of themselves as elderly!

My mum is the one who does their grocery shopping so she'll continue with that, and she also visits her mum in a nursing home frequently. Prior to this she visited her about 6 out of every 7 days. I think she's been cutting it down to every 2nd or so day for a shorter visit, with her sister (also over 70) going on the alternate days so my grandma has a visitor most days. If they can't visit her my grandma will fret and have no idea what's going on. She has dementia and they're two of the only people she still recognises. As long as they're still allowed in the nursing home they'll be visiting her.

Yeah, my parents have arced up at the idea that they’re elderly. Apparently age is a state of mind. Sigh.

#10 Prancer is coming

Posted 29 March 2020 - 09:20 PM

From what I read, they have been encouraged to self isolate.  My understanding of the self isolation definition is you don’t go anywhere.  A walk in your yard is fine, but not anywhere else.  Self isolation is the term they have been using for people arriving in from over seas, and I certainly don’t want these people wandering through my suburb, even if they are on their own.

I have found it interesting on EB that there seems to be more talk about young people not doing the right thing with government restrictions.  My experience is more with older people.  I rang mum tonight (dad is over 70) and they had no idea over the changes, and I had to be quite firm in telling them they both don’t need to go to the supermarket, they need to stop having relatives over for lunch, to steer clear from a close neighbour recently returned from interstate and meant to be in self isolation and to no longer visit other family members.

#11 Hands Up

Posted 29 March 2020 - 09:21 PM

My 74 year old mum works in health care - an essential (clinical) role. I’ve just left a message for her asking what this means for her.... she said to me a couple of days ago that she wanted to continue. There is not a line of people waiting to take her role.

#12 SeaPrincess

Posted 29 March 2020 - 09:27 PM

Nursing homes near me have stopped all visitors. My BFF had her first video call with her mum on Friday.

My parents were ahead of the game. Mum and I briefly entertained the idea of going to Scotland in January, but she said perhaps wait and see before booking anything. They are visiting their building site and going for walks, but otherwise avoiding people, including us.

MIL on the other hand.... she’s in her 70s and has a constant cough from many years of smoking.  DH and his siblings are convinced that she won’t survive if she gets it, but she’s still going to the shops.

Edited by SeaPrincess, 29 March 2020 - 09:30 PM.

#13 jkate_

Posted 29 March 2020 - 09:30 PM

Both my mum and I have been having an uphill battle with my grandparents over the last fortnight.  Last Wednesday alone they had visited more places than I had in a whole fortnight since this all ramped up.  
I rang them while the Scomo presser was being televised, told them to turn on ABC if they didn't believe me and stay home.  That i would buy their groceries on Wednesday (regular grocery day for them) and to send me a list.  I think they took that quite seriously, Nan has already messaged me a few things she needs so looks like they're listening.  Thankfully.

#14 Prancer is coming

Posted 29 March 2020 - 09:43 PM

Here is the government definition of self isolation and this is the words they are using for the over 70s, so I assume this is what they mean.

https://www.health.g...avirus-covid-19

Language is important.  We are currently doing social distancing and whilst trying to isolate ourselves, are not doing full on social isolation (yet...).

#15 Murderino

Posted 29 March 2020 - 09:44 PM

My sister has convinced my dad to stop leaving the house. She is 5 minutes away and had told him she will get what he needs and drop it on his porch.

#16 MadMarchMasterchef

Posted 29 March 2020 - 09:45 PM

kadoodle, on 29 March 2020 - 08:44 PM, said:

Walking but not in close contact is all good. My ILs are being cautious and getting groceries delivered, but there’s a lot of missing and substituted stuff.

I didnt realise anywhere was still doing deliveries!  I kept reading about it being cancelled.

#17 MadMarchMasterchef

Posted 29 March 2020 - 09:48 PM

Dianalynch, on 29 March 2020 - 08:49 PM, said:

Walking - with no one else around - is a good idea, good for physical and mental health

if they can stay home other than the daily walk that would meet the recommendations

Yes they are certainly being responsible and taking it seriously.  I have been getting my kids to chat to them online and send them photos etc to cheer them up.  Not that we are going anywhere except walks apart from anyone else either!

#18 kadoodle

Posted 29 March 2020 - 09:49 PM

MadMarchMasterchef, on 29 March 2020 - 09:45 PM, said:

I didnt realise anywhere was still doing deliveries!  I kept reading about it being cancelled.

Their IGA is, but I think it varies from store to store.

#19 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 29 March 2020 - 10:02 PM

My Mum is over 70, and has a doctors appointment this Wednesday. She needs to get blood pressure meds. I will talk to her about asking her doctor about Tele Health consults, but I think she will insist on going out (because she's not liking having to stay home.) But she is insisting on going to the chemist and supermarket on her way home (which are both in a shopping centre).

She won't listen to me. She was going to refuse cancer treatment. That was bad enough, but that only affected her. This affects us too (she lives with us). I have asthma and if I get really sick and can't work, financially that will be a BIG problem. Especially as then DH can't work either. We pay all the bills. Why are the people in our house that DON'T pay the bills the ones who aren't bloody listening and carrying on about staying home. ARGH! Sorry, that escalated lol

#20 Kreme

Posted 29 March 2020 - 10:04 PM

Mum is 84 and she’s in good health but she knows how serious this could be for her. She hasn’t left her house for over a week. It is very difficult for her as she has a very active social life but all of her friends are calling each other regularly so that is helpful.

I got her registered for Woolworths priority delivery. I’m anticipating there will be some missing items and if that happens I’ll have to do the 3 hr round trip to take them to her. My brother hasn’t bothered to even call and ask how she’s doing.

#21 #YKG

Posted 29 March 2020 - 10:17 PM

MadMarchMasterchef, on 29 March 2020 - 09:45 PM, said:

Grocery deliveries are only occurring for vulnerable people in the community, whether it’s due to age or illness that prevents them from being out in public.

#22 MooGuru

Posted 29 March 2020 - 10:27 PM

My parents are socially distancing but my Dad  is pretty adamant he won't be locked up in the house. Scares the sh*t out of me.

#23 JediMaster

Posted 29 March 2020 - 10:49 PM

I feel sorry for everyone over 70, who live on their own. This will be very hard for them :(  .
I will speak to my mum and offer to start doing her shopping. But I know she will struggle with not leaving the house and yard at all.

#24 Mrs Zee

Posted 29 March 2020 - 10:58 PM

#YKG, on 29 March 2020 - 10:17 PM, said:

Grocery deliveries are only occurring for vulnerable people in the community, whether it’s due to age or illness that prevents them from being out in public.

Lots of places here are now offering delivery to everyone. Butchers, fruit and veg shop and A grocery wholesaler.

To be honest, I hope that all continues long after this settles down.

Edited by Mrs Zee, 29 March 2020 - 10:58 PM.

#25 Sugarplum Poobah

Posted 29 March 2020 - 11:35 PM

Prancer is coming, on 29 March 2020 - 09:43 PM, said:

Here is the government definition of self isolation and this is the words they are using for the over 70s, so I assume this is what they mean.

https://www.health.g...avirus-covid-19

Language is important.  We are currently doing social distancing and whilst trying to isolate ourselves, are not doing full on social isolation (yet...).

This is for people who either have or are suspected to have Covid 19.

The over 70s recommendations are to protect them from getting ill. Not because they are ill.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.