Your smallest Covid-19 wins

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 (feral)epg

Posted 29 March 2020 - 05:59 PM

Small things that I like about the current 'normal'

1. I can now use peanut butter in my kids sandwiches.  Cause we're eating at home.
2. DP will finally experience the joys of trying to get stuff done (work) whilst keeping a 4yo and 7yo from killing themselves or destroying the house.  And I can casually breeze in after my day at work and condescendingly ask if he would like help.  Sweet revenge!
3. No more 6am wake ups to get 2 kids to different places and get to work by 8am.  
4. Poorly groomed eyebrows and a bad hair cut are now a mark of social responsibility not sheer slovenliness.
5.  None of my friends will be posting glamorous photos of their overseas holidays on facebook this school holidays.

#2 Silverstreak

Posted 29 March 2020 - 06:07 PM

I haven't worn an underwire bra in weeks.

I am reading a lot of books.

No rushing for the school run, although I am missing it!

No organising school clothes the night before.

#3 SkeptiHandsOnMum

Posted 29 March 2020 - 06:22 PM

That is a fantastic list, OP!

#4 BadCat

Posted 29 March 2020 - 06:24 PM

Edited by BadCat, 11 May 2020 - 09:12 PM.

#5 #YKG

Posted 29 March 2020 - 06:28 PM

It’s taking 32 minutes instead of 1.5 hours to get to work.
House party app is keeping me connected and social with friends
I have a great outdoor gym setup going on

#6 Sleep Debt

Posted 29 March 2020 - 06:44 PM

I'm no longer getting breakouts on my chin because I'm not touching my face anymore.

#7 Mooples

Posted 29 March 2020 - 06:55 PM

Pjs all day every day.
Much less washing as the kids and I are home all the time so I’m basically just washing pjs.

#8 Dianalynch

Posted 29 March 2020 - 06:59 PM

I get to spend more time with dh and the kids, which belongs on the wins list, and in the venting thread.

yes to peanut butter!

#9 Caitlin Happymeal

Posted 29 March 2020 - 07:05 PM

Kids are only mildly fighting.

We have enough food for now.

As above, DH gets to try and juggle the thought load/kid stuff whilst working from home whilst I go to my now "more important" job (I sincerely hope that there is a societal shift from this, or at least within my household, as I have never felt like a breadwinner but all of the sudden I'm the one who "simply can't take a day off work")

I'm making lots of yummy meals

DH and I are watching some "old" (80s and 90s, so not that old but hey, old enough) together which is nice.

No public transport costs go DH, and he won't be buying lunch everyday.

#10 (feral)epg

Posted 29 March 2020 - 07:07 PM

And no racing to get to after school activities!

#11 maryanneK

Posted 29 March 2020 - 07:12 PM

So much time and money saved not commuting. Extra time with dd home from school. Have now started doing online exercise classes, I don't usually have time for the gym! The house is cleaner than normal because a) I have more time and b) I can't stand WFH in a messy house.

#12 luke's mummu

Posted 29 March 2020 - 07:22 PM

Our local Westfield have quietly canned their 3 hour parking limit. I guess now the restaurants, beauticians and movies and closed, no one spends 3 hours there anymore. Must make it easier for staff

#13 -Emissary-

Posted 29 March 2020 - 07:26 PM

I can now have dinner at 6 pm instead of 9 pm when DH gets home.

DH’s stupid alarm at 5:30 am, that never wakes him up, can be turned off.

I have help with bath time. And sometimes when I lose it at bed time, I can hand DS over to DH and not feel guilty that he needs to sleep and wake up early for work tomorrow.

#14 Caitlin Happymeal

Posted 29 March 2020 - 07:31 PM

Oh oh how could I forget... Telehealth for DDs allied health appointments - this is brilliant and I hope we can continue on with one like this once this is under control. It's a bit of a hike because we moved but didn't want to change providers because of the rapport she had with her therapist. We may now be able to utilize this long term to cut down on commuting.

#15 Caitlin Happymeal

Posted 29 March 2020 - 07:33 PM

Emissary, I so agree with your comment re DHs stupid alarm... Mine has the Vienna boys choir singing "good morning" on his and it DOES. MY. HEAD. IN. 4.50 every morning. I am sure they are lovely boys, but I quite frankly want to punch them at that hour.

#16 eachschoolholidays

Posted 29 March 2020 - 07:49 PM

Some work functions that I didn’t want to attend were cancelled.

#17 Chelli

Posted 29 March 2020 - 07:56 PM

• All day pyjamas.
  • Not feeling guilty for watching Netflix all day.
  • Eating together at the dinner table instead of rushing around getting people to sports, school, friend's places etc.
  • Incredible gratitude for the space we have at home and living on a rural property.
  • Grateful I turned an unused space into an office last year that is quiet and away from everyone in the house. It has become my sanctuary.

#18 #YKG

Posted 29 March 2020 - 08:32 PM

Right now I’m on here on my iPhone, on house party on ipad with a couple friends and we are watching legal blonde: red white and blue together. Movie night while following directives

#19 lozoodle

Posted 29 March 2020 - 08:49 PM

I don't have to pack lunchboxes.

I no longer have to get out of my comfy clothes.

It'll be a lot nicer snuggling in at home in the cooler months than catching public transport to work at the crack of dawn.

I bought a gymnastics bar and beam a few weeks back for my girls second hand off marketplace. So grateful for them both now so they can keep up their training!

I have a job that can be done from home and my income wont be affected by this. I am thankful for the every day - there are so many sad stories of people struggling right now :(

Edited by lozoodle, 29 March 2020 - 08:50 PM.

#20 Catzilla

Posted 30 March 2020 - 12:12 PM

1.  Now a lot of panic buying, in my area, has slowed, work at times is quieter and not so stressful.

2.  I'm still able to get out for a 30 to 90 minute walk most days before sunrise.

#21 Let-it-go

Posted 30 March 2020 - 01:55 PM

I don’t have to kiss people hello, fingers crossed that one lasts beyond.
Very few supermarket trips and better meal planning.
My skin is looking better with no makeup.

#22 AnaBeavenhauser

Posted 30 March 2020 - 02:01 PM

Car park right out the front of work and no car parking fines!

#23 ckmelb

Posted 30 March 2020 - 02:21 PM

Baby doesn't take a bottle, but I don't have anywhere to go without her now anyway. Ditto with her wanting to sleep in my arms during the day

The board I work with now does Zoom calls so everyone is dialled in with video instead of them calling my mobile phone for the meetings

I've organised grocery deliveries from smaller companies so don't need to go to Coles regularly at all

#24 PrincessPeach

Posted 30 March 2020 - 02:29 PM

Naptime has made a reappearance! Mr 4 is a mich nicer person to be around.

And yep, i don't need to go to networking events.

#25 red_squirrel

Posted 30 March 2020 - 02:42 PM

Not having to ferry kids to and from school. This is such a blissful difference.

No lost hats, jackets, lunchboxes, notes etc etc for kids

No making Lunch boxes

Saving time on commuting all round and all the stress, grottiness and exhaustion that causes.

Home for parcels or deliveries

Can tend the veggies and get all jobs done mainly because saving on commute times.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.