Sore throat , headache, fever .

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Oriental lily

Posted 29 March 2020 - 05:12 PM

Yet I shouldn’t get tested for COVID19 going by government information .

was at work yesterday ( with no symptoms) saw and interacted with dozens of people ( with social distancing) but I just need to ride it out and see if symptoms get worse and if so call 000? Then I get tested ? If not just isolate?

it really does not feel proactive at all .

really understand how this can get out of control .

i have a ‘fever clinic’ 2km away from me but because I don’t fit the requirements ( not travelled in the last two weeks or been in contact with anyone who has ) I am not considered high risk .

not even sure what I am asking . More of a vent . Just scared and frustrated .

Edited by Oriental lily, 29 March 2020 - 05:13 PM.

#2 Anonforthistime

Posted 29 March 2020 - 05:23 PM

That must be both scary and frustrating.

Are you able to self isolate anyway? Keep partner and kids away “just in case”.

Even if it’s not Covid19 you clearly aren’t well enough to go to work, so stay home. Keep up fluids and paracetamol and if you deteriorate rapidly or have shortness of breath then it is not unreasonable to present to an ED.

#3 Oriental lily

Posted 29 March 2020 - 05:28 PM

Next time I work is next Thursday but might be shut down by then anyway so will not be going anywhere . Bit hard to isolate from my family considering I have five kids aged between 2 and 16 and live in a very humble sized home . Might hold of on the Panadol until I am really uncomfortable . Let the fever do it’s thing .

havent had a cold or even a hint of a sniffle for about 2 years . So if rather inconvenient to get a bug right now !

#4 Fossy

Posted 29 March 2020 - 05:31 PM

Yes it’s time for you to self isolate. If you need a certificate phone your GP and see if they’re offering Telehealth consultations.
Treat your fever as required with paracetamol, keep up your fluids and feel better soon.
If symptoms Don’t subside call your GP back unless symptoms are severe Ie shortness of breath, altered conscious state or chest pain, then call 000

#5 qak

Posted 29 March 2020 - 05:32 PM

Me too, since Friday. But my symptoms have also developed to include lots of sneezing, slight runny nose and a mildly productive cough.

Quite thankful I'm not heading to hospital really.

#6 Anonforthistime

Posted 29 March 2020 - 05:40 PM

I realise it might be hard to self isolate but it’s because you have 5 kids that you need to. Can your  partner  sleep on the couch and you  isolate in the bedroom?

#7 lizzybirdsworth

Posted 29 March 2020 - 05:49 PM

You poor thing! My sister is going through the same thing except she knows she has been with someone who tested positive yet still doesn’t qualify for testing. So many people could have it and not qualify for testing! It’s frustrating.

Don’t use ibuprofen. Only panadol and lots of fluids. And rest, rest, rest!
I hope it’s “just” a cold and nothing bad xx

#8 Fossy

Posted 29 March 2020 - 06:03 PM

lizzybirdsworth, on 29 March 2020 - 05:49 PM, said:

You poor thing! My sister is going through the same thing except she knows she has been with someone who tested positive yet still doesn’t qualify for testing. So many people could have it and not qualify for testing! It’s frustrating.

Don’t use ibuprofen. Only panadol and lots of fluids. And rest, rest, rest!
I hope it’s “just” a cold and nothing bad xx

Close contact with a confirmed diagnosis in a patient with respiratory symptoms or fever qualifies for testing, and always has. Your sister should get tested and remained quarantined, as should her household. Hope she feels better soon.

#9 SkeptiHandsOnMum

Posted 29 March 2020 - 06:04 PM

I am sorry that you are feeling unwell and that there is the added stress of COVID.

Ring the Covid hotline for up to date advice around isolation for you and your family.
1800 020 080

#10 MooGuru

Posted 29 March 2020 - 06:08 PM

Fossy, on 29 March 2020 - 06:03 PM, said:

Close contact with a confirmed diagnosis in a patient with respiratory symptoms or fever qualifies for testing, and always has. Your sister should get tested and remained quarantined, as should her household. Hope she feels better soon.

Different places seem to deem contact differently. I know someone who was refused testing because it was unlikely they'd spent more than 6 (?)hrs in the same room as the infected person and she hadn't had close physical contact for more than 15 minutes. I know someone else well 5 members of the same family who were tested at a different centre who hadn't had known contact with anyone. eta hope you feel better soon OP

Edited by MooGuru, 29 March 2020 - 06:09 PM.

#11 Tinky Winky Woo

Posted 29 March 2020 - 07:50 PM

This is something I do not understand.  You don't have to be in direct contact with someone who is sick.  They may have walked past you and coughed or sneezed or touched something you touched.  None of the testing is efficient in my opinion

#12 oh.one.eight

Posted 29 March 2020 - 07:55 PM

The demand for testing is massive with limited tests available.
This is why the criteria is what it is, and why some places vary on requirements depending on the testing kits available.
These kits aren’t an unlimited supply the whole world is demanding them right now.

#13 lizzzard

Posted 29 March 2020 - 07:57 PM

I don’t think it would make any difference if you got tested or not - your actions would be the same - self isolate immediately, contact your GP for advice on symptoms, or go to the hospital if you have trouble breathing or your other symptoms worsen. Basically you should proceed as if you are positive for the virus.

#14 PuddingandPies

Posted 29 March 2020 - 08:02 PM

Exactly my concern with the data being reported Oriental Lily. Just this. Some people show the symptoms but are denied testing as they don't meet criteria.  So relorting that most cases are coming from overseas is skewed.  It means the actual cases will be significantly higher. Of course local transmission will be low if we refuse to test.

Even more reason to comply. And why I welcome tonight's higher controls.

You're doing the right thing to isolate. Good work. Hope you feel better quickly!

#15 alchetta

Posted 29 March 2020 - 08:54 PM

I'm in a similar boat, sore throat and head just came on today. I've been working from home and keeping my child in childcare to permit me to work, but now I'm somewhat regretting that decision because now I can't send her anyway and am sick to boot.
And yep certainly looks like unless you've got full blown pneumonia, you won't be tested anyway. Fingers crossed she'll be willing to watch screens all day so I can rest.

#16 Oriental lily

Posted 29 March 2020 - 09:00 PM

OMG this is horrible ! I feel like a kettle on the boil! My headache is splitting! Never had a fever like this before ! Never ! Throat is sore but lungs feel clear and no stuffy nose . Just the fever sore throat and headache! Is this the first stage ? Until you google it you don’t realise how vague the symptoms are explained . I feel nauseas as well but I think that’s stress .

if I have it then this is a community transmission !

scary as hell!

my breathing so far is fine . Sorry for the rambling I feel like I am hallucinating at the moment . Had a dream before that the plot in the book I am reading ended up with coronas virus in it .

panadol has kicked in !

i have 5 kids I can’t die !

#17 Tinky Winky Woo

Posted 29 March 2020 - 09:02 PM

If you were tested and it was a positive, people whom you had being in contact with could be notified.  That way they could self isolate and flatten the curve even further.

I understand the lack of tests available to use.

#18 Prancer is coming

Posted 29 March 2020 - 09:10 PM

Whilst the strict testing does seem annoying, there are limited tests.  And anyone with minor symptoms would then be demanding them.

I would treat it as any other sickness.  If you cannot manage your symptoms, seek medical advice.  If they are concerned you may have corona virus, they will test you.  Chances are you don’t have corona and even if you do, the vast majority of people do not die.

My kid has a cough and breathing difficulties.  However, his asthma is always triggered when he was a cold.  Ventolin has sorted it and I am treating it the same as every other time he has been sick.  If I cannot manage symptoms at home we will seek further medical advice, but all good so far.  I think most work places would be pretty understanding around you not coming to work with fever and sore throat.

#19 alchetta

Posted 29 March 2020 - 09:16 PM

OL I'm sorry you are feeling so awful :( it really is scary. I hope your kids will be able to entertain each other and help each other out tomorrow so you can sleep.

#20 Oriental lily

Posted 29 March 2020 - 09:29 PM

Thanks alchetta .

google is starting to sway me to the idea  it’s the flu , mainly because I don’t have a cough at all .

my kids had symptoms of the flu about three weeks ago . My 11 year old burned up and was hallucinating .

oh I don’t know ! Either way I am not leaving the house any time soon . We run our own business . I need to ring someone to figure out what to do about that , can Dh run it until he has symptoms ?

so confusing ,

#21 lozoodle

Posted 29 March 2020 - 09:30 PM

So frustrating OP. I hope you get a good night's sleep and feel a lot better in the morning.

A friend of mine had similar symptoms two weeks ago now, she was really bad for about a week and only just feels normal again these past few days. Her doctor said "probably just a virus" and sent her on her way with no instruction to isolate. She did anyway though and still is.

her symptoms were spot on too! heavy chest, headaches, fever, chills, night sweats, you name it. but still, didn't travel overseas so oh well you're fine. What a joke.

Our infection rate is much higher than they're saying because they're not testing. Has to be! I realise they can't test everyone but I also don't think we should be putting everything on the "stats" when the stats are so skewed.

#22 IamtheMumma

Posted 29 March 2020 - 09:31 PM

OP, I hope tomorrow is a better day for you and it isn't COVID but I think your whole family needs to isolate.

#23 Sancti-claws

Posted 29 March 2020 - 09:36 PM

Do you have 13-health or similar where you are?

#24 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 29 March 2020 - 09:50 PM

Yeah I'm taking all the reports of test and negative results with a grain of salt. Because they aren't testing everyone who has symptoms, only those who have symptoms *and* fit x, y, z criteria (I do understand why, with a shortage of test). Their contact tracing might be impeccable, but when there are reports of those with positive results taking a stroll to public places, it casts a lot of doubt.

Also cases of false negative tests don't fill me with confidence either.

#25 DaLittleEd

Posted 29 March 2020 - 09:53 PM

I thought the guidelines had changed, and in certain areas they test even without overseas travel or contact with a known case. Definitely ring and enquire OP.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.