Do retail/hospitality workers actually want to be at work?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 DirtyStreetPie

Posted 29 March 2020 - 07:40 AM

Hello,

Just a quick question.

Do retail and hospitality workers actually want to be at work?

Is it better to:

a) Support a cafe by buying a takeaway coffee, or

b) Avoid these businesses altogether because the workers don't really want to be there, but feel pressured to keep working?

Thank you. I just want to do the right thing. :(

#2 José

Posted 29 March 2020 - 07:52 AM

In buying from small businesses where the staff working are the owners and they are posting in social media about how important the custom is.

#3 Bam1

Posted 29 March 2020 - 08:19 AM

Its a good question - OP.  My local cafe is family owned and are actively encouraging locals to come for a takeaway coffee/meal, they have turned their dining area into a mini grocery too.

Otherwise last week I brought forward buying my 2 youngest the bikes they were getting for their near future birthday and from now on it will be out for groceries only.

I feel really sorry for the retail workers who have to work and also for those that no longer have work.

#4 IamzFeralz

Posted 29 March 2020 - 08:28 AM

All the cafes at my local mall have signs outside begging us to come in for takeaway food and coffee.  I went and got one this morning and had a lovely conversation with the owner about how difficult life was now.  I never normally buy coffee at all.

My DD described how she walked past a cafe yesterday and all the workers turned to the door expectantly with hope on their faces.  It’s sad.

#5 Apageintime

Posted 29 March 2020 - 08:29 AM

My husband lost his job in hospitality due to this. He would love to be at work earning money and paying the mortgage if he could

#6 Silverstreak

Posted 29 March 2020 - 08:39 AM

My sibling works at one of the big supermarkets. He enjoys going into work, it gives him a lot of personal satisfaction, plus pays his bills. He's understandably tired at the moment, but would rather work than not, he gets very bored when he's not working.

I guess just take it week by week maybe? Support local business if you can when you can, within your own limits.

#7 crankybee

Posted 29 March 2020 - 08:41 AM

I asked my hairdresser if she wanted me to come in or not, totally up to her. She said yes. I am happy to give money where I can for services I need to help people pay bills.

#8 MarciaB

Posted 29 March 2020 - 08:41 AM

My dd1 turned 19 last week and we ordered takeaway from the local restaurant we had planned to dine at. The gratitude from the owner when I picked up our order was just -  well humbling. He begged us to order again soon.

They are trying to keep themselves and their employees in work - I think if they are open support them as best we can.

#9 Caribou

Posted 29 March 2020 - 08:46 AM

Keep supporting them.

As a business owner I can tell you were trying to stretch things out until the government annouces ‘hibernation’ package. Keep supporting businesses in the meantime, PLEASE!

To explain further. We have to keep paying the rent on the premises, we have to keep paying permanent staff, we cannot stop paying the rent without losing the business. We are not like cotton on, Myer, DJs who can afford to just flatly refuse to pay rent during this pandemic. We’re not that powerful.

Just remember, a lot of businesses would have used up a lot of their buffer money during the bushfires. We’re stretching it as much as we can. Any bit of money towards the business keeps it going another day until the government can step in.

Edited by Caribou, 29 March 2020 - 08:55 AM.

#10 Charli73

Posted 29 March 2020 - 08:53 AM

View PostMarciaB, on 29 March 2020 - 08:41 AM, said:

My dd1 turned 19 last week and we ordered takeaway from the local restaurant we had planned to dine at. The gratitude from the owner when I picked up our order was just -  well humbling. He begged us to order again soon.

They are trying to keep themselves and their employees in work - I think if they are open support them as best we can.

It’s stories like this that break my heart and will make me continue to order from our local restaurants for dinner instead of dining out.

#11 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 29 March 2020 - 08:57 AM

many of our local cafes are family owned. they post on community FB pages encouraging us to keep buying from them and support them. i still get my morning coffee from my favourite barista - i kind of envy them. at least they aren’t in lockdown and can be out and be productive while we are stuck at home with ratty children.

#12 Mrs Claus

Posted 29 March 2020 - 09:04 AM

I don’t want to be at work but my kids need to be fed.

Everytime I touch money I cringe but it’s my job so I take it.

when customers complain that it’s school holidays and what will they do now that the beaches have been closed- I want to yell at them ‘go home!’

but I realise that I’m lucky to have a paying job at the moment

#13 little lion

Posted 29 March 2020 - 09:22 AM

I would like to support local takeaways but I’m worried about undoing all of our hard work of self isolation (due to us being high risk). It is a hard juggle.

#14 DirtyStreetPie

Posted 29 March 2020 - 09:39 AM

Thank you for your thoughts.

There are two cafes I've been trying to support. One of them sadly closed today, and the other is still going, I think.

I'll keep supporting them - it's staffed by the franchisee herself, along with a couple of new migrants from India. I love those guys, and I think they still want to work.

#15 ~Peahen~

Posted 29 March 2020 - 10:40 AM

I still want to be at work. I want to help keep providing to my community for as long as it's deemed safe. I do however wish people would not abuse the services provided and follow the rules and/or use common sense.

Still seeing people "browsing" and bringing their kids in to get out of the house. And people coming in with various illnesses claiming they have no other option.

And I wish we had adequate sanitisers and cleaning supplies.

And taser guns (tonge in cheek, calm ya farm).

#16 CallMeFeral

Posted 29 March 2020 - 10:52 AM

I think in general it's safe to assume that most people work because they need the money. And therefore, supporting them in maintaining that work would be helpful for them.

There's probably exceptions - some health staff are probably overwhelmed but keeping on for the greater good, and maybe there are others with kids home who would find it easier to be home, but in the latter case I'd guess that if they could afford to be then they could arrange this with their bosses.

I think it's safe to assume that most people at work are there because they want to be (even though the 'want' is financially based).

#17 Julie3Girls

Posted 29 March 2020 - 10:54 AM

I’ve been wondering this myself.
We have a couple of local places that are now doing take out, and yes, I’m trying to support them, and do it a safe way. Calling in orders, paying by card tap. Not taking my kids out of the house with me.

#18 lizzzard

Posted 29 March 2020 - 10:57 AM

On Wednesday I took DS for a walk around the block at recess. We stopped at a local family owned coffee shop and he said things were looking grim....

This morning I suggested to DH that we buy our breakfast there (to takeaway) on the way back from walking the dog. The owner and his wife were almost in tears - it was their last day of trading. They are closing for good, after 10 years. They won't be re-opening. We bought a bunch of stock they were selling - soy milk, tea, serviettes.

It was heart breaking. I'm pretty sure they wished there were people still buying coffee from them :(

#19 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 29 March 2020 - 11:26 AM

View Postlizzzard, on 29 March 2020 - 10:57 AM, said:

On Wednesday I took DS for a walk around the block at recess. We stopped at a local family owned coffee shop and he said things were looking grim....

This morning I suggested to DH that we buy our breakfast there (to takeaway) on the way back from walking the dog. The owner and his wife were almost in tears - it was their last day of trading. They are closing for good, after 10 years. They won't be re-opening. We bought a bunch of stock they were selling - soy milk, tea, serviettes.

It was heart breaking. I'm pretty sure they wished there were people still buying coffee from them :(

CBD outlets will struggle. suburban cafes seem to be doing better (but not great). it’s heartbreaking for them. and what do these business owners do? once the government’s  largesse stops (and it will).

#20 SkeptiHandsOnMum

Posted 29 March 2020 - 11:33 AM

View PostMrs Claus, on 29 March 2020 - 09:04 AM, said:

I don’t want to be at work but my kids need to be fed.

Everytime I touch money I cringe but it’s my job so I take it.

when customers complain that it’s school holidays and what will they do now that the beaches have been closed- I want to yell at them ‘go home!’

but I realise that I’m lucky to have a paying job at the moment

View Post~Peahen~, on 29 March 2020 - 10:40 AM, said:

I still want to be at work. I want to help keep providing to my community for as long as it's deemed safe. I do however wish people would not abuse the services provided and follow the rules and/or use common sense.

Still seeing people "browsing" and bringing their kids in to get out of the house. And people coming in with various illnesses claiming they have no other option.

I think that these two posts are correct.

They do not want to be there necessarily, but they know that they need to be, for various reasons. They would just like their risks to be minimised while they are.

I hope that my post last night did not contribute to this. My DD is a young adult who lives at home. Not a lot will change for her in the big picture if she is not at work (she will still have a roof over her head and food on the table). In some ways, it would be better for society if they encouraged people like her to be supported by their parents (particularly when parents have relatively secure essential services jobs), and gave the work to those who are supporting families and have lost their jobs in other places.

While they might be frustrated, I think that most retail workers would prefer employment over businesses closing and their being stood down.

#21 jkate_

Posted 29 March 2020 - 02:20 PM

Another point I want to add is that still having to go to work has been good for my mental health.  I'm lucky that in my work week at the moment only a very small percentage of that is customer facing.  I appreciate that I am quite lucky in this regard and other retail workers do not have this luxury.

#22 Wonderstruck

Posted 29 March 2020 - 02:35 PM

View Post~Peahen~, on 29 March 2020 - 10:40 AM, said:

I don't get the people taking kids to the shops. I have a 3 year old DD. She's stir crazy as hell. Yet today as I have been for the past few weeks I did the shopping alone. I did the shopping while DH watched DD and ensured that 4 others weren't at the shops (DD, DH - My mum and dad). Yet I saw countless families (mum, dad and a few kids) shopping, some the masks on - the mask won't save your kids, just don't bring them.

If you have to go out together (thinking single parents, FIFO families etc) I get it. FFS those who clearly have an option make me so mad.

You can easily reduce the number of people at the shops by being sensible. If you have both parents around, one watches the kids at home. You're easily reducing the number significantly. In a family of 4 you have 1 at the shops out of 4.

I also was so sick of people standing right behind me while I gave 1.5m clearance to the person in front on the escalator.

It's so ridiculous.

I feel for any supermarket, health employee etc. So many people just refusing to listen and undoing the good work of others.

Edited by Wonderstruck, 29 March 2020 - 02:38 PM.

#23 Treasure Island

Posted 29 March 2020 - 03:15 PM

As a business owner I can tell you were trying to stretch things out until the government annouces ‘hibernation’ package. Keep supporting businesses in the meantime, PLEASE!

This is my logic, as long as they are open I will continue going to my usual places. We had bakery lunch as usual on a Sunday and I am going back out later to get takeaway chips from the cnr store.

Edited by Treasure Island, 29 March 2020 - 03:15 PM.

#24 lotsofbots

Posted 29 March 2020 - 03:24 PM

We own a small business, been operating for 30 years.
We would love to be able to shut but we have to pay the commercial rent and over heads. Asked the landlord for some assistance and they said no.  We have had to put all staff on hold.
It would help a lot if we could get cleaning and paper products and PPE.

Health and safety has to come first but financial it’s real sad at the moment

#25 MrsLexiK

Posted 29 March 2020 - 03:31 PM

I’m supporting my local bakery as much as I can. Its an essential service more so then a normal bakery/cafe IMO because it’s gluten free so fingers crossed but rent in this area is so expensive (it’s why we rent for our business out of the area). At present they said they have had a down turn in patrons but not in turn over as people are coming in and bulk buy. The owner said he predicts there will come a time when it won’t be viable for him to stay open but he doesn’t know. He also isn’t sure if the government will shut him down if there is a lock down. They have only been open a year or even less. They have been a god send to my family.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.