2 year old refusing baths

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Noodlez

Posted 28 March 2020 - 09:36 PM

Help!! My very stubborn and strong willed 2 year old is refusing baths. She gets upset talking about it and she gets hysterical if we put her any where near a bath or shower.

I have tried leaving it for a bit and hoping she would just get over it, getting in the bath with her, playing outside the bath with water and toys, buying new bath toys.

She use to love baths, she has not fallen underwater or anything. The only thing I can think of is that a couple of weeks ago she was complaining of pain down below, she may have heard me discussing with DH that it could be the bubble bath causing issues.

Any ideas or suggestions?

#2 eigne

Posted 28 March 2020 - 09:43 PM

Ours did the same thing. We took the pressure off for a few days by doing wipe downs with warm flannels. We ended up switching to showers. One advantage is that they’re a lot quicker!

#3 Zeppelina

Posted 28 March 2020 - 09:53 PM

Do you have a doll's bath at home? If so, could you get her to give one of her dolls a bath? If you don't, maybe in the sink, or even in the bathtub? It might help her feel more in control?

#4 Noodlez

Posted 28 March 2020 - 09:57 PM

View Posteigne, on 28 March 2020 - 09:43 PM, said:

Ours did the same thing. We took the pressure off for a few days by doing wipe downs with warm flannels. We ended up switching to showers. One advantage is that they’re a lot quicker!

That’s what I’ve been doing, but It’s been a while now and I’m starting to think she may never have a bath again. I will give the shower another go.

Edited to fix a word

Edited by Noodlez, 28 March 2020 - 10:03 PM.

#5 Noodlez

Posted 28 March 2020 - 10:02 PM

View PostZeppelina, on 28 March 2020 - 09:53 PM, said:

Do you have a doll's bath at home? If so, could you get her to give one of her dolls a bath? If you don't, maybe in the sink, or even in the bathtub? It might help her feel more in control?

Yep we have one I have tried that she will stand outside the bath and wash her doll with soap in the dolls bath and also the big bath for a bit. But if we mention that she needs to have a bath too she gets hysterical. Maybe I need to let her bath her doll without any suggestions about her turn for a bit and see how we go.

#6 PuddingPlease

Posted 28 March 2020 - 10:08 PM

Could be way off here but is it possible that she is still sore down below and the water is causing pain?

Otherwise if you have a wading pool (like one of the clam shells) or even a large bucket that you can fill with water outside, you could try encouraging her to have a 'swim' in that. It's still a wash and you can work up to using soap if need be.

#7 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 28 March 2020 - 10:15 PM

We had the same issue, and now he showers with us. Much better and less stressful. We now can wash his hair without carry on as well, which is a bonus!

#8 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 28 March 2020 - 10:23 PM

I have a two year old who hated baths for the first two years. What got him around in the end was lots of water play and swimming. He now loves baths and will ask for one at random times during the day.

#9 ~Kay~

Posted 29 March 2020 - 07:05 AM

My kids used to love bathing in buckets when they were small. Something like this.

https://www.bunnings...xi-tub_p2583360

We did it outside when the weather was nice. It was much fun and felt like water play.

#10 SplashingRainbows

Posted 29 March 2020 - 07:11 AM

Have you tried baths / showers earlier in the day? Just an idea. Tiredness and stubbornness combined are impossible.

I know it’s probably not when you want her to get clean but it might re start the activity at least.

I know we are under water restrictions but I did used to be able to get away with them standing under the hose. They’d get washed enough for me. Crazy kids.

Bucket bath outside? Like camping? (Although I suggest not calling it a bath!!!) Find a big tub, fill with warm water and let her play. Or hot water to make easier to carry then top up with the hose. Being outside often leads to compliance that being inside does not.

#11 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 29 March 2020 - 07:18 AM

Have you tried her showering with you? That way you can help control the water flow on her ( try sticking in your hand, ok now the other etc).

#12 PhillipaCrawford

Posted 29 March 2020 - 07:19 AM

I wonder how much fear has been absorbed by her with the need to do extra handwashing with the pandemic- have there been battles over this or even just extra emphasis?
If she knows nothing about the pandemic she will have seen and heard you two talking about the need to wash - goodness knows how she has mixed that up.

In general situations soap isn't really necessary nor shampoo.
If you can make it fun do so but otherwise a daily wipe down with a wet flannel is all that is necessary.
She won't be wanting you to do it when she is 18.

WWBD
https://www.abc.net....avirus/12092010

#13 Charli73

Posted 29 March 2020 - 07:43 AM

My boy hates showers so we changed the shower head to the hose hand held style so he could control where the water went as he hated it on his head (he has ASD).

He also wears his swim goggles in the shower to limit water in his eyes.

Edited by Charli73, 29 March 2020 - 07:44 AM.

#14 timtam92

Posted 29 March 2020 - 07:48 AM

They don’t need a bath every day if it stresses them. Have you thought about new bath toys? Or even food dye in the bath to make it a different colour each day? Only need a few drops

#15 PrincessPeach

Posted 29 March 2020 - 03:14 PM

View Posttimtam92, on 29 March 2020 - 07:48 AM, said:

They don’t need a bath every day if it stresses them. Have you thought about new bath toys? Or even food dye in the bath to make it a different colour each day? Only need a few drops

You haven't met my kids - even without going to daycare they managed to be filthy by the end of a day.

ETA - id try showering her with you in there as well. Might help remove the fear.

Edited by PrincessPeach, 29 March 2020 - 03:15 PM.

#16 SplashingRainbows

Posted 30 March 2020 - 05:30 AM

Another thing that worked really well with my kids when they were afraid of something was books.

There are lots of fun books for toddlers about bathing, eating, potty training etc if you know to go hunting for them. Might be another tool in the arsenal to build positivity around bath time. Especially some of those open the flap type books. My 2 year olds LOVED them.

How are you going OP?

#17 PrincessPeach

Posted 30 March 2020 - 07:41 PM

Bluey episode tonight had balloons in the bathtub - could that help?

#18 Noodlez

Posted 30 March 2020 - 07:46 PM

View PostSplashingRainbows, on 30 March 2020 - 05:30 AM, said:

Another thing that worked really well with my kids when they were afraid of something was books.

There are lots of fun books for toddlers about bathing, eating, potty training etc if you know to go hunting for them. Might be another tool in the arsenal to build positivity around bath time. Especially some of those open the flap type books. My 2 year olds LOVED them.

How are you going OP?

There is so much going on with the world at the moment I am picking my battles carefully! We are still no closer to getting her in a bath or shower for that matter but thanks to everyone I do have some ideas to try. I will update when I find something that works in the meantime I think a daily wipe over is going to have to suffice.

#19 Silverstreak

Posted 30 March 2020 - 08:17 PM

DS gave up on baths at a similar age, he likes to stand and move around. So we switched to showers and he's been showering ever since.

He has ASD, so now either DH and I will shower first, then call him in, help him wash, dry ourselves and give him some privacy, then help him dry, put on deodorant and dress (he's seven.) He hasn't taken a bath in almost six years.

#20 Jingleflea

Posted 30 March 2020 - 08:27 PM

Have you had her checked to see if she has a UTI or irritation from the bath bubble?

#21 Riotproof

Posted 30 March 2020 - 08:33 PM

If you happen to have cornflour and some food colouring, I would make bath paint and let her paint in an empty bath. Then gradually add water and get her to wash it off. Try not to stress, just make sure the bits get washed.

I would also consider getting in the bath with her.

https://parentingcha...de-bath-paints/

#22 Noodlez

Posted 30 March 2020 - 08:36 PM

View PostJingleflea, on 30 March 2020 - 08:27 PM, said:

Have you had her checked to see if she has a UTI or irritation from the bath bubble?

I was concerned about a UTI but she wasn’t showing any signs of being in pain while on the potty and her nappies were dry when she was complaining.  I’m fairly sure it was the bubble bath we were using, since stopping the bubble bath we have had no further issues. I really should have known better than to use the bubble bath in the first place.

#23 Anon wife

Posted 31 March 2020 - 12:06 AM

Maybe it’s a sensory thing for her...might be worth checking with the mchn.

#24 DaLittleEd

Posted 31 March 2020 - 12:31 AM

People would probably be horrified to find out how long my 4yo went with only flannel wipe downs when she went through similar a couple of years ago. And she's a dirty kid, we would put some soap on the flannel and basically scrub her, then use a fresh damp flannel to wipe the soap off.

We didn't force baths, and now she is happy to have one most nights.

#25 MooGuru

Posted 31 March 2020 - 03:17 AM

So we had to bath DS multiple times a day and he had a full blown trauma reaction to baths. It wasn't fun and I certainly wouldn't recommend physically forcing them into a bath and restraining them in there but the things that made it easier:
- baby bath.
- Sponge bath first one of the day (we had 4 hourly baths so don't know how that would go compared to daily or every few days).
- Toys - specifically him throwing balls from a bucket into the baby bath then sitting inside the bath throwing the balls into a bucket.
- Temperature - we had a thermometer in a duckie. I think its 38 degrees is the max recommended (?) Anyways having it right at the upper limit of what was recommended temperature wise because he hated going in to anything cooler.
- Sitting on the bench, feet in the sink playing with water or any other water play.

Hope you find what works quickly.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.