Grey Icing?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 PrincessPeach

Posted 28 March 2020 - 08:25 PM

So google tells me the easiest way to make grey icing is to tint chocolate buttercream black & then add regular buttercream to make it grey again?

Anyone tried it?

And in the same thought process, can i make chocolate buttercream using hot chocolate powder (given the lack of cocoa powder & chocoltae cake mixes in the supermarket)?

#2 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 28 March 2020 - 08:29 PM

I’m having Steel Magnolia flash backs....the grey armadillo grooms cake...

but yeh...i reckon a weak version of black icing colour should get you there.

#3 PrincessPeach

Posted 28 March 2020 - 08:38 PM

I've never actually seen that movie....

little kid wants a robot cake for his birthday.

#4 CallMeFeral

Posted 28 March 2020 - 08:43 PM

Surely with the brown of chocolate and the yellow or normal buttercream it would end up a very yellowish grey. Or basically light brown. Just bored and speculating, I haven't tried.

#5 Tinky Winky Woo

Posted 28 March 2020 - 10:27 PM

I would use black food colouring in normal buttercream, especially if your buttercream is white.  Will use much less colour and not taste so coloured.

#6 anatomicalheart

Posted 29 March 2020 - 11:30 AM

Americolor's ''Concrete" gel dye makes a nice grey, if buying online is an option.

#7 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 29 March 2020 - 12:28 PM

Careful what hot chocolate powder you use. They are designed to dissolve in water, and have additives to help this, so you may find the icing stays runny and won’t set if you use it. Check the ingredients first.

#8 DirtyStreetPie

Posted 29 March 2020 - 12:36 PM

I once made a concrete-coloured buttercream by mixing red and blue dyes. It was not my intention. I wanted purple!

#9 lizzzard

Posted 29 March 2020 - 12:47 PM

I've found the gel dyes make a far more predictable colour if you can get your hands on it...

#10 CallMeFeral

Posted 29 March 2020 - 01:03 PM

View PostDirtyStreetPie, on 29 March 2020 - 12:36 PM, said:

I once made a concrete-coloured buttercream by mixing red and blue dyes. It was not my intention. I wanted purple!

That makes so much sense actually! Black = all colours - so red+blue+yellow... and the buttercream is already yellowish (so it sabotages purple). I've never managed a light purple with buttercream, it always ends up greyish and then if I add more red it ends up a weird ripe brownish colour.
I almost feel like going and experimenting now except then I know the kids will eat the buttercream and they are over sugared already!

Edited by CallMeFeral, 29 March 2020 - 01:04 PM.

#11 Demera

Posted 29 March 2020 - 01:08 PM

I wouldn't use chocolate buttercream unless you're after a dirty grey. Why wouldn't you just add black food colour to plain icing?

#12 PrincessPeach

Posted 29 March 2020 - 01:40 PM

View PostDirtyStreetPie, on 29 March 2020 - 12:36 PM, said:

That is good to know!

I'm trying to limit the amount of colouring I'm using so the buttercream still tastes like buttercream. Last time i made black fondant it took a truckload of colouring to get it black.

I dont have grey gel colouring in my stash, but i will certainly try the red & blue trick

#13 anatomicalheart

Posted 29 March 2020 - 03:08 PM

Titanium dioxide will help turn your buttercream pure white, and Aldi butter tends to be 'whiter' than Coles or Woolworths butter.

This makes it easier to colour :)

#14 MrsLexiK

Posted 29 March 2020 - 03:36 PM

According to our wedding cake maker it was extremely hard. I would have thought a small amount of black too but apparently not. Good luck.

#15 PocketIcikleflakes

Posted 29 March 2020 - 04:03 PM

I was actually googling a mousse recipe last night and the one I used was suitable for icing for a chocolate mousse cake.

Whipping cream
Icing sugar, I guess icing mix would be fine as well.
The recipe used cocoa powder but also said vanilla extract would be fine.

With out the cocoa it was much whiter than buttercream so I think if you added black gel colour it would be a fairly clean grey?

I'd link the recipe but it didn't actually include volumes of ingredients so I just guessed it.

#16 IamtheMumma

Posted 29 March 2020 - 04:27 PM

View PostLucrezia Bauble, on 28 March 2020 - 08:29 PM, said:

I’m having Steel Magnolia flash backs....the grey armadillo grooms cake...

but yeh...i reckon a weak version of black icing colour should get you there.

Aww thanks Ouiser. Nothing like a good piece of ass.

#17 PocketIcikleflakes

Posted 29 March 2020 - 04:40 PM

Ooh, just read that it's a robot. If you're happy with silver you could maybe use edible Silver paint? No idea of what the cost of that would be though.

#18 Chocolate Addict

Posted 29 March 2020 - 04:50 PM

I used almost a whole bottle of black colouring trying to get, well, black and it still only made it dark grey lol

#19 Bono25

Posted 29 March 2020 - 04:56 PM

Some of the cake stores sell ready made buttercream, they might have grey

#20 Tinky Winky Woo

Posted 29 March 2020 - 07:55 PM

PrincessPeach where are you located?

#21 PrincessPeach

Posted 29 March 2020 - 07:59 PM

Gold coast - it doesnt have to be perfect (4 year olds are rather forgiving) i just want it to look a version of ok.

I've got a spotlight nearby, just trying to avoid going there. I've also got a pack of gel colours (which does have black), but I know how much you need to tint the fondant (& that was only a small amount of fondant) & i dont overly want to use that much in the buttercream.

Edited by PrincessPeach, 29 March 2020 - 08:02 PM.

#22 LightPink

Posted 29 March 2020 - 08:31 PM

I’d never tint fondant black myself, you need so much colour and by then it’s too soft. I buy pre-tinted black when I need it. I use Bakels Pettinice fondant.

To make grey buttercream I’d start preferably with a white shortening like Solite vegetable. It’s white so you get cleaner colours than using butter. If using butter get the lightest yellow you can (pp is right about aldi butter), whip the heck out of it to lighten it more. Then I’d add black gel colour or if I had it a grey gel. Wilton or Americolor I like best. You’ll need a lot less colour to get grey than to get black. Check out Lollipops Cake Supplies, they are in Brisbane, always ship fast.

Edited by LightPink, 29 March 2020 - 08:32 PM.

#23 Tinky Winky Woo

Posted 29 March 2020 - 08:34 PM

I wouldn't make black fondant.  It's takes a lot of colour to go black.  You could always use aluminium foil to make the shape

#24 PrincessPeach

Posted 29 March 2020 - 08:39 PM

View PostLightPink, on 29 March 2020 - 08:31 PM, said:

I’d never tint fondant black myself, you need so much colour and by then it’s too soft. I buy pre-tinted black when I need it. I use Bakels Pettinice fondant.

To make grey buttercream I’d start preferably with a white shortening like Solite vegetable. It’s white so you get cleaner colours than using butter. If using butter get the lightest yellow you can (pp is right about aldi butter), whip the heck out of it to lighten it more. Then I’d add black gel colour or if I had it a grey gel. Wilton or Americolor I like best. You’ll need a lot less colour to get grey than to get black. Check out Lollipops Cake Supplies, they are in Brisbane, always ship fast.

Will do - actually i keep forgetting places like that will still be open.

#25 PrincessPeach

Posted 29 March 2020 - 08:41 PM

View PostTinky Winky Woo, on 29 March 2020 - 08:34 PM, said:

I wouldn't make black fondant.  It's takes a lot of colour to go black.  You could always use aluminium foil to make the shape

Yep, its a never again thing. I was thinking, oh I only need a tiny amount, i can turn my blue fondant black easy (nope).

That cake also was the start & end of my working with fondant.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.