Covid-19 good news thread

• Please log in to reply
205 replies to this topic

#1 Zeppelina

Posted 25 March 2020 - 01:02 PM

I thought it might be nice to have a place to celebrate Covid-19-related little victories and even the smallest of positives in this tough time.

I spend a lot (a *lot*) of time reading everything I can on this topic, particularly data, statistics, numbers - it's where I find comfort and sanity, especially when there's anything resembling good news. So I thought I'd share some of the (potential) positives that I've seen.

1. Italy's rate of new cases has increased by only 8% overnight, for the second consecutive day. This is down from 50% increases at the beginning of the month, and 20-25% increases two weeks ago. If this continues, this is huge. And in Lombardy especially, where the lockdown has been in place for slightly longer, the curve is beginning to flatten.

https://www.channeln...cs-see-12572858

https://twitter.com/...220114872799232

2. Four local companies are helping to produce more both invasive and non-invasive ventilators, helping give us a better chance at giving treatment to those who will need it.

https://www.canberra...ilator-numbers/

3. My local community has started a "Going on a bear-hunt" movement where people are putting bears in their windows or up in trees for children and parents to look out for on their neighbourhood walks.

I'll add to it as more come up.

Feel free to share your own positives - whether they be related to the disease itself, or more personal things like kindnesses you may have seen in the past few weeks.

Edited by Zeppelina, 25 March 2020 - 01:02 PM.

#2 #notallcats

Posted 25 March 2020 - 02:44 PM

Peter Doherty, who seems like a pretty smart cookie, says we should flatten our virus curve in a couple of weeks.  

https://www.smh.com....324-p54dib.html

#3 born.a.girl

Posted 25 March 2020 - 02:55 PM

View Post#notallcats, on 25 March 2020 - 02:44 PM, said:

Peter Doherty, who seems like a pretty smart cookie, says we should flatten our virus curve in a couple of weeks.  

https://www.smh.com....324-p54dib.html

Yeah, he's great, I like the way he can convey in plain english, such a complex topic.

I posted a link to an article by him a week or so ago, where he said it was highly unlikely anyone could be infected twice, that there are explanations for the cases, but it couldn't be ruled out.  Even then, if you were infected a second time, your immune system would recognise it.  He said the same thing I've seen from any reputable source (or what appears to be reputable, like him).

The antibody test would be fantastic.  If I'd had it I'd happily volunteer anywhere  needed.

#4 Thylacine

Posted 25 March 2020 - 03:20 PM

Thanks OP, I needed this thread

#5 VVV

Posted 25 March 2020 - 03:43 PM

Awesome idea for a thread, thank you.

#6 SkeptiHandsOnMum

Posted 25 March 2020 - 07:21 PM

Today's positive - I managed to buy tampons for DD. She is very relieved. She was thinking that she might have to buy "my first tampon" packs (her words), and lots of them.

Another positive - I have had a social-media-free day and realised that it is good for me. But I miss messenger, so might have to add it to keep in touch with my friends. I have downloaded a book about social media addiction ...

(sorry, I know that the others were less personal and more community-based)

#7 Zeppelina

Posted 25 March 2020 - 07:25 PM

View PostSkeptiHandsOnMum, on 25 March 2020 - 07:21 PM, said:

(sorry, I know that the others were less personal and more community-based)
All positives are positive. Glad that your DD has tampons!

#8 Zeppelina

Posted 25 March 2020 - 07:41 PM

(Potential) vaccine news:

Scientists at the University of Queensland have received the funding they need to manufacture their 'molecular clamp' vaccine WHILE they do the human clinical trials, so that - presuming it works, which they believe it will - they can have the vaccine ready for distribution by the end of this year/beginning of next.

I read about this a few days ago initially - these are the  amazing scientists working with a completely new and unique type of vaccine who said they'd be ready to go to animal trials in 16 weeks, and then did it in about 8. Animal trials are happening right now.

They are confident that it's a goer (they've narrowed it down from 250 initial candidate vaccines to one) and will be doing human trials from about July. To minimize the time it would take to then manufacture it after trials are done, they were looking for $20-$30 million so they could start manufacturing while the human trials are underway. It seems that funding is coming through from all sectors, public & private, which is fantastic.

This is behind a paywall but if you can get around it is informative: https://www.theaustr...6a9530ff60dc36a

But this has most of the info too: https://www.timeshig...vable-12-months

And here's the UQ release about it: https://stories.uq.e...arch/index.html

#9 Zeppelina

Posted 26 March 2020 - 11:13 AM

1. Italy's % increase in new cases was 7.5%, down from 8% the previous day. It's the second lowest number of new cases in the past 7 days (the highest was 4 days ago).

2. In the last 7 days, there has only been 1 case of CV in Wuhan. In 2 months, from lockdown on 23/1 to 25/3, they have gone from having thousands of cases each day, to 1 in 7 days (and only a handful of local cases in the rest of China - the rest of their cases have been from people returning to China from the rest of the world, and ALL returnees are under a 2-week compulsory quarantine from arrival).

https://www.abc.net....s-ease/12086556

3. The UK has an at-home finger-prick antibody test which will be available to the general public very shortly!

https://www.theguard...ble-within-days

Edited by Zeppelina, 26 March 2020 - 02:47 PM.

#10 Silverstreak

Posted 26 March 2020 - 11:25 AM

Thanks so much for this thread Zeppelina, it's given me some hope xo

#11 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 26 March 2020 - 11:41 AM

NZ has a lot of seasonal work available now to locals as the backpackers et al have left or didn't make it in country on time.
Sealord Fishing was looking for 3,000 people to work on the boats, in the factory, chefs for filleting etc.
Meanwhile the kiwifruit harvest is in full swing with orders from China plus other crops also requiring harvesting.
Campervans are now been used to provide private, seperated accomodation for workers..

Hopefully in Australia this means people in rural areas who have no work will be able to pick up seasonal work as a stop gap as well.

#12 No Drama Please

Posted 26 March 2020 - 12:36 PM

Zeppelina :heart: thanks so much for starting this thread, you are keeping me going x

#13 #notallcats

Posted 26 March 2020 - 12:41 PM

View PostZeppelina, on 26 March 2020 - 11:13 AM, said:

3. The UK has an at-home finger-prick antibody test which will be available to the general public very shortly!

https://www.theguard...ble-within-days

Wow, this is awesome.

#14 Zeppelina

Posted 26 March 2020 - 01:04 PM

View PostKiwi Bicycle, on 26 March 2020 - 11:41 AM, said:

NZ has a lot of seasonal work available now to locals as the backpackers et al have left or didn't make it in country on time.
Sealord Fishing was looking for 3,000 people to work on the boats, in the factory, chefs for filleting etc.
Meanwhile the kiwifruit harvest is in full swing with orders from China plus other crops also requiring harvesting.
Campervans are now been used to provide private, seperated accomodation for workers..

Hopefully in Australia this means people in rural areas who have no work will be able to pick up seasonal work as a stop gap as well.
This is fantastic, and yes, hopefully will be the case in Australia too. I did read the other day about a farm in South Australia that is advertising a lot of jobs as they have been inundated with orders (I can not find it right now though!)

eta: Found it! https://www.abc.net....ayoffs/12084182

And it's been great to see things like state governments and companies like Telstra, Woolworths, Coles advertising large numbers of jobs. It's still not enough, but it helps.

Edited by Zeppelina, 26 March 2020 - 01:05 PM.

#15 Ivy Ivy

Posted 26 March 2020 - 02:15 PM

View Postborn.a.girl, on 25 March 2020 - 02:55 PM, said:

Yeah, he's great, I like the way he can convey in plain english, such a complex topic.

I posted a link to an article by him a week or so ago, where he said it was highly unlikely anyone could be infected twice, that there are explanations for the cases, but it couldn't be ruled out.  Even then, if you were infected a second time, your immune system would recognise it.  He said the same thing I've seen from any reputable source (or what appears to be reputable, like him).

The antibody test would be fantastic.  If I'd had it I'd happily volunteer anywhere  needed.

The coronavirus is mutating.  If it mutates enough, you will be able to be reinfected again and again in the future by different strains, just like you can get different flu viruses and cold viruses repeatedly.  It could become an annual thing.  Future mutations could be more lethal.

That's one of the many reasons to shut the country down now.  If it cannot transmit to new people, the virus cannot mutate (or spread).  If everyone stayed home and isolated for 3-6 weeks the virus would be dead, unless it jumped to pets.

Waiting to shut down the country delays and lets it mutate further.  The horse will have bolted from the stable very very soon.  There are a series of catastrophically bad decisions being made by politicians day after day that every doctor and nurse outside politics is wincing over.

#16 Ivy Ivy

Posted 26 March 2020 - 02:20 PM

Sorry didn't fit with the post topic at all. Forgot topic. Apologies.

#17 Zeppelina

Posted 26 March 2020 - 02:25 PM

On the plus side (to bring it back to topic :grin:) it looks like it's pretty stable and at this stage scientists aren't too worried about its mutations so far.

https://www.npr.org/...blem-for-humans

#18 born.a.girl

Posted 26 March 2020 - 02:52 PM

View PostZeppelina, on 26 March 2020 - 02:25 PM, said:

On the plus side (to bring it back to topic Posted Image) it looks like it's pretty stable and at this stage scientists aren't too worried about its mutations so far.

https://www.npr.org/...blem-for-humans

Yes, Professor Doherty's comments were regarding the short term, and responding to reports that there were incidents of people being re-infected, not the long term outlook.

#19 born.a.girl

Posted 26 March 2020 - 03:06 PM

https://www.abc.net....-twice/12075878

I should have posted this link earlier, instead of talking about it, as the comment's been completely misconstrued, my fault for not linking the article.

Professor Doherty on reports people have been re-infected.

Not long term, nothing about other solutions, just this specific bit of info.

#20 born.a.girl

Posted 26 March 2020 - 03:14 PM

View PostIvy Ivy, on 26 March 2020 - 02:15 PM, said:

The coronavirus is mutating.  If it mutates enough, you will be able to be reinfected again and again in the future by different strains, just like you can get different flu viruses and cold viruses repeatedly.  It could become an annual thing.  Future mutations could be more lethal.

That's one of the many reasons to shut the country down now.  If it cannot transmit to new people, the virus cannot mutate (or spread).  If everyone stayed home and isolated for 3-6 weeks the virus would be dead, unless it jumped to pets.

Waiting to shut down the country delays and lets it mutate further.  The horse will have bolted from the stable very very soon.  There are a series of catastrophically bad decisions being made by politicians day after day that every doctor and nurse outside politics is wincing over.

I agree with all of that, my fault I didn't link the article and you'd have known specifically the narrow point he was talking about.

I shouldn't have paraphrased.

#21 Lady Sybil Vimes

Posted 26 March 2020 - 03:55 PM

View PostZeppelina, on 25 March 2020 - 07:41 PM, said:

(Potential) vaccine news:

Scientists at the University of Queensland have received the funding they need to manufacture their 'molecular clamp' vaccine WHILE they do the human clinical trials, so that - presuming it works, which they believe it will - they can have the vaccine ready for distribution by the end of this year/beginning of next.

This is amazing news, really cheers me up. I hope they’re successful.

#22 annodam

Posted 26 March 2020 - 04:39 PM

I did post this elsewhere on EB but I'll post here as well.

My better half works at a factory that makes a certain product.
I won't reveal the product, don't wanna be too identifying but they have ceased production of said product (don't worry, it's not classed as an essential item) they have now started producing hand sanitizer & masks.

I hope that alleviates some people fears.
We're in Melbourne.

#23 Zeppelina

Posted 27 March 2020 - 12:10 PM

Ok. Italy had me feeling a bit down this morning, because there was an increased number of new cases in the past 24 hours compared to the past few days.

But I've been looking through some Italian articles, and have found some potential good news. In the hardest-hit Lombardy region, Milan had the biggest increase in cases overnight (more than double the number of the past two days). However, it seems that it hasn't corresponded with an increase in the number of hospitalizations (which have otherwise been increasing to match the case #). In fact the number has remained relatively stable, so it's quite likely that the increase at least in Milan is due to more people who are less symptomatic being swabbed - until now, Lombardy has really only been testing the more strongly symptomatic cases.

In general though, the feeling in italy among scientists is that the peak has either arrived (and will be a 'wide plateau' which allows for slight increases like this one), or is imminent.

Predictions for the rest of Europe to peak (in particular, Spain & France) say it will happen within the next week, probably around March 31.

Switzerland's numbers have remained fairly level with a slight gradual decrease over the past week.

#24 born.a.girl

Posted 27 March 2020 - 04:53 PM

https://www.abc.net....actory/12093864

Australia's only medical mask factory (until now) is gearing up with the help from the army.

Love the descriptions of how it's working with army blokes being in charge of production. Action stations!

There's a suggestion too, that in future it would be wise to make sure things CAN be manufactured here.  Sounds like we are lucky to have this place which can gear up.

#25 got my tinsel on

Posted 27 March 2020 - 06:12 PM

View Postborn.a.girl, on 27 March 2020 - 04:53 PM, said:

https://www.abc.net....actory/12093864

Australia's only medical mask factory (until now) is gearing up with the help from the army.

Love the descriptions of how it's working with army blokes being in charge of production. Action stations!

There's a suggestion too, that in future it would be wise to make sure things CAN be manufactured here.  Sounds like we are lucky to have this place which can gear up.

and thank goodness that this company was still in business - otherwise we'd be well and truly up sh*t creek.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.