How stocked is your supermarket

• Please log in to reply
196 replies to this topic

#1 #mocha

Posted 25 March 2020 - 06:45 AM

I’ve been self isolating, food is getting slightly low.  

What are the supermarkets like atm?

Not sure weather to go out or just wait a bit longer.

#2 WaitForMe

Posted 25 March 2020 - 06:47 AM

Seems to depend massively on the supermarket as well as area.

In our area, woolies is hopeless, coles is not so bad especially on a Sunday morning. I even saw a few packs of TP.

#3 anon-eber

Posted 25 March 2020 - 06:48 AM

I think it depends on where you live.  I've found if I go earlier in the day the stock levels are better.  eg I was able to get tinned tomatoes and two packets of pasta at 8am on the weekend.   There was a small amount of rice on the shelves and SR flour.  

Oh and I also managed to get some toilet paper.

However I've found if I leave it too late in the day, everything is gone. Eg I stopped at Coles on the way home from work last night - around 6.30pm and shelves were just as empty as ever.

Edited by anon-eber, 25 March 2020 - 06:49 AM.

#4 red_squirrel

Posted 25 March 2020 - 06:57 AM

No meat last week but no shortage of it this week.
Still no toilet paper. Frozen potato things are low.

I imagine hair dye and waxing products will be this weeks hot item!

#5 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 25 March 2020 - 06:58 AM

Near me, gutted. If you get there past 9am you won’t get much at all.
I haven’t been able to buy toilet paper or paper towel or tissues since the toilet paper crisis started. We are relying on my in-laws for supply. I think it gets wiped out during the supermarkets elderly and special needs hour. The old people around here are numerous and they take no prisoners.

#6 Jingleflea

Posted 25 March 2020 - 07:10 AM

My IGA has loo paper out the back,m you need to ask for it.
But no one has meat, or pasta or much rice, no sanitary items either.

#7 Ozquoll

Posted 25 March 2020 - 07:20 AM

I have not seen TP in any of my local supermarkets for probably a month. Stocks of other stuff varies. I wish the flour section would get refilled - I'm nearing the end of my bag of bread flour.

#8 No Drama Please

Posted 25 March 2020 - 07:21 AM

Our local woollies is actually great, they run out but have stuff the next day, but I can’t even get into our local aldi anymore. There is literally a queue so long they’ve put security guards and one of those velvet ropes that they have at nightclubs so people have to go in set numbers.

#9 Charli73

Posted 25 March 2020 - 07:24 AM

I feel like if they set supermarkets up to go in set numbers this would stop the hoarders. I can’t imagine these people would wait in line for ages, just the people who actually are desperate for the items they need.

#10 rainycat

Posted 25 March 2020 - 07:32 AM

We haven’t had loo paper, flour and all of that for over a week or so. No meat either but did get some sausages yesterday.
I know they say there is enough food for everyone but I am finding it hard to cook normally with what we have.
I’m not wanting to use what’s in the freezer yet just in case.  It’s a good way to clean out the pantry though!

#11 Lady Sybil Vimes

Posted 25 March 2020 - 07:37 AM

I went to Woolies on Monday and it was very quiet, people walking around looking almost dazed. They were out of the usual things - toilet paper, soap, pasta, flour, disposable gloves. Everything else was okay.

#12 jovana

Posted 25 March 2020 - 07:39 AM

I get around a lot as I still work (community health care). Our 4 nearest Woolies are quite good, meat section is hit and miss, also no TP unless it's early morning and they give it out straight from the palete. Flour, sugar etc I've seen it come back on the shelves, you just have to be lucky.
Big Westfield SC Coles, VERY sad and very empty, don't bother.
Local discount butcher: it was very empty on Sunday, no chicken, no pork, etc, just came back from it, there's much more variety back on shelves.
Plenty of TP at Aldi, you just have to ne there when they open. Their stock is also hit and miss, depends on hoarders feel like buying on the day lol.
I'm in outer eastern suburbs in Melbourne.

#13 blackcat20

Posted 25 March 2020 - 07:48 AM

Mine have been pretty good, but still no things like tissues. Low toilet paper, no disinfectant, no flour or sugar. And some stores seem to have had a run on butter.

#14 BungyBaby

Posted 25 March 2020 - 07:56 AM

Last week Woolies was gutted but IGA had a decent amount of things. Monday our Woolies had restocked virtually everything (including the golden TP rolls and potatoes), about the only obvious missing things were pasta & rice. Not sure what they would be like after 2 days though.

#15 seayork2002

Posted 25 March 2020 - 07:59 AM

Not too bad, the 'famous' products are never there but I got some more peanut butter this morning and a while ago there was hardly any now there is heaps, drinks seem to be back and there are more tin tomatoes than before and a little more pasta

oh eggs vanished for a bit but got some last week not sure about this week

Edited by seayork2002, 25 March 2020 - 08:00 AM.

#16 dadwasathome

Posted 25 March 2020 - 08:05 AM

nonexistent in local Woolies - toilet paper, paper towels, tissues, meat (by lunchtime), sweet biscuits (apart from tim tams), flour

Shortages - tinned tomatoes and similar, pasta

Everything else fine.

IGAs seem better stocked, apart form paper products

Local butchers much better stocked than supermarkets, but limited range at premium $

#17 qak

Posted 25 March 2020 - 08:10 AM

I'm finding I need to go every few days to pick up things as I can't do a full shop.

F&V are pretty good, meat is variable from almost nothing to OK but low and not the things I normally buy.

You just need to pick up what you can get.

#18 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 25 March 2020 - 08:11 AM

Don't know, the last week or two we have been using the local IGA for top-ups and getting F&V delivered. Trying to put off going to the major supermarkets as much as possible. Neighbour said she went on Monday though and was able to get everything she needed, although sometimes not in the brands she preferred (she acknowledged that was definitely a1st world whinge).

#19 Jane Jetson

Posted 25 March 2020 - 08:14 AM

Woollies out in west Belconnen was pretty good yesterday. No pasta (apart from some fancy lasagne sheets), still a little sugar, no eggs at all, very little chicken but a fair bit of red meat, even the sushi chef was still going strong.

The feminine hygiene aisle was stripped bare, though. I've had to tell both DDs (aged 12 and 10) that they are forbidden to get their first period while this whole thing's going on.

I didn't even bother going to the tissues and toilet paper aisle, so I can't report back on that. I haven't seen either anywhere for a few weeks now.

#20 lizzzard

Posted 25 March 2020 - 08:14 AM

Ours is fine. We live in a fairly low-residential area though...

#21 BadCat

Posted 25 March 2020 - 08:52 AM

Went this morning to the small Woolies I prefer.

Not a lot of anything.  Must have been a bit early. I know they stock up the cold cases and F&V mid morning.

I got most of what I needed, but no frozen veg and no TP.

#22 SFmummyto3

Posted 25 March 2020 - 09:16 AM

View Post~LemonMyrtle~, on 25 March 2020 - 06:58 AM, said:

Near me, gutted. If you get there past 9am you won’t get much at all.
I haven’t been able to buy toilet paper or paper towel or tissues since the toilet paper crisis started. We are relying on my in-laws for supply. I think it gets wiped out during the supermarkets elderly and special needs hour. The old people around here are numerous and they take no prisoners.

This is my area too inner Melbourne. Bare shelves. I haven't seen one roll of toilet paper for three weeks now. I've been morning, noon and night. I've tried petrol stations too. We're rationed to two squares each in this house per go! unless #2!
I got the very last item on the entire meat shelves in Coles last week, one packet of organic beef frankfurts. That was it. I'm now researching vegetarian recipes for us all.

Edited by SFmummyto3, 25 March 2020 - 09:18 AM.

#23 Lunafreya

Posted 25 March 2020 - 09:31 AM

Managed to get long life milk in my Coles. But no flour or rice. Had to get some yeast at woollies.

#24 hills mum bec

Posted 25 March 2020 - 09:45 AM

Our small country supermarket isn't too bad.  I haven't seen toilet paper there for weeks although DH did say there were a few 4 packs of Black & Gold on the shelf when he was there yesterday.  I think everything else except hand sanitiser is in stock but the shelves aren't looking very full.

#25 BECZ

Posted 25 March 2020 - 09:58 AM

Our IGA had hand wash all this last week, but not the big brands.

They had some big brands yesterday, according to DF, even some Palmolive anti-bacterial.

I considered getting some anti-bacterial, but we still have two (about to open one) small anti-bac. and some regular all from long ago.  I was actually in the process of clearing it out over the past few months, of all times.

Edited by BECZ, 25 March 2020 - 09:59 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.