Upside to Covid-19

• Please log in to reply
192 replies to this topic

#1 gracie1978

Posted 15 March 2020 - 03:20 AM

Anything positive happening around you because of CV?  I know it's mostly poo, but Pollyanna with me if you can.

Do you think there will be a positive impact on the environment and consumerism?

On a TOTALLY SELFISH NOTE.... We will get a break from constant visitors from NZ now.  Unfortunately this also means the helpful ones can't get here, but I'll take it.

Friend of a friend ate fresh lobster for the first time yesterday, usually it's exported overseas and is hella expensive to buy here.

My partner and I are appreciating our individual prepper quirks.  He stockpiles lentils, I've always been obsessed with baby formula... Esp important when you go through a tin every two days and our online orders are hit and miss.

DP will probably work from home which is a godsend with two new babies in the house.

#2 No Drama Please

Posted 15 March 2020 - 04:51 AM

Pollution levels dropped in China because everything is closed down so I suppose that will start happening everywhere.

The working from home thing for those who can might become a valid option instead of just a vague “maybe one day” option.

Hopefully the governments will start looking at areas like health etc and realise how vital they are for everyone, not just something that can be ignored until it’s critical.

I’m trying to focus all my thinking around the potential benefits for after, not actually what’s happening right now. That’s helping me cope mentally.

#3 BECZ

Posted 15 March 2020 - 05:50 AM

Hopefully it might make people realise how good they have it in this country.  They may just start to appreciate our medical system and our access to good clean food, drinking water etc.
For me personally, it made me go knocking on one of my elderly neighbour’s door to check if she needed anything (as she only seems to get visitors at Christmas etc.).
I’ve been meaning to see how she was going for some time.  We used to speak to her most days as she walked her dog (which she did numerous times each day due to being in a tiny unit), but since her dog died, she rarely comes out.

#4 newmumandexcited

Posted 15 March 2020 - 06:04 AM

Reduced carbon emissions in some sectors.

#5 Bono25

Posted 15 March 2020 - 06:24 AM

Increase in plastic though, and more rubbish. If everything shuts down, what happens with rubbish pick up s?

#6 Etta

Posted 15 March 2020 - 06:32 AM

We are getting better at handwashing and hygiene awareness so that may reduce cold and flu in the future.

As I noted in another post yesterday, cancellation of the Melbourne F1 GP means that people who came to Melbourne can now go and spend their money in other parts of the state.

Community collectivism? Not sure if we are this stage yet though.

More seats on buses and trains!

#7 kimasa

Posted 15 March 2020 - 06:35 AM

People are washing their damn hands.

#8 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 15 March 2020 - 06:39 AM

Less events to attend, more quiet time with family and friends. I love staying at home.

Also, earlier this year, before the poo-storm, we rented a holiday house, for the whole year. It’s now better value as we will be there a lot more and prices no doubt would have risen since then because everyone is travelling locally.

I’ve noticed people helping people. Sure, there are selfish people buying all the toilet paper, but mostly I’ve noticed people sharing and offering to help others.

This may prompt the government to invest more in public health and shy away from the massively failing USA style health system. I can hope, anyway.

#9 JLCJ

Posted 15 March 2020 - 06:39 AM

I'm becoming more creative in my meal planning - basing them more around tinned/pantry foods and foods we might not usually eat.

It's also making my workplace realise we don't HAVE to have so many face-to-face meetings!  We've all been told for the next two weeks to trial working-from-home (I already do one day a week anyway, so not a problem for me) and also how to use Skype/ZOOM instead of organising in-person meetings.

Kids' hygiene is improving!

#10 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 15 March 2020 - 07:09 AM

Elective surgery is being brought forward to free up hospitals for the near future.

Someone, somewhere may have a few weeks less discomfort while waiting for their surgery.

(Yes, I know, the other side of this is a longer wait later on, but short term, it will be good news for some that have been waiting a long time)

#11 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 15 March 2020 - 07:10 AM

i’m getting into hand creams due to increased hand washing! i did wash my hands before, i promise! but im increasing the amount of soap i use, the number of times i do it, the length of time etc and my hands are really dry. someone ages ago gave me a lovely little box set of different Crabtree and Evelyn hand creams and i barely used them until now. they’re really nice.

#12 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 15 March 2020 - 07:11 AM

View PostJLCJ, on 15 March 2020 - 06:39 AM, said:

I'm becoming more creative in my meal planning - basing them more around tinned/pantry foods and foods we might not usually eat.

It's also making my workplace realise we don't HAVE to have so many face-to-face meetings!  We've all been told for the next two weeks to trial working-from-home (I already do one day a week anyway, so not a problem for me) and also how to use Skype/ZOOM instead of organising in-person meetings.

Kids' hygiene is improving!

I really really hope this encourages DH’s workplace to use technology more and not do so many pointless interstate trips just to attend meetings)

#13 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 15 March 2020 - 07:27 AM

My inlaws will most likely not be visiting. Yay!

#14 Popper

Posted 15 March 2020 - 07:30 AM

We are going to save a lot of money not eating out and Friday night pub hour for DH.

#15 luke's mummu

Posted 15 March 2020 - 07:34 AM

We own an investment unit which had been vacant for 6 months. Tenants just signed and moved in last week. Yay- 12 month lease. Given they are from a poor overseas country, With very poor healthcare  I’m assuming they’re not going anywhere in a hurry. Instead of a financial drain, we should have a small regular income

#16 StoneFoxArrow

Posted 15 March 2020 - 07:41 AM

I'm hoping that this will encourage people to learn how to be more self-sufficient. Yes, I know a lot of people don't have the space to grow things, but community gardens are excellent for that.

Learning how to bake bread/make yoghurt are excellent skills. Even having a single tomato plant while you're struggling to get fresh veg elsewhere, or having your own herbs, would be better than the alternative.

The urban homesteaders in my state are probably the best prepared in all of this, well-stocked veggie gardens (although it's not the best timing as summer crops are being pulled out), many have chickens, preserves in the pantry and can happily make their own bread etc.

It's definitely inspired me to be a bit more aware of this kind of thing.

#17 -Belinda-

Posted 15 March 2020 - 07:43 AM

Thinking about all the things on the "to do" list around the house and garden that never get done and we may soon have time for!  May soon be doing lots of tidying up and cleaning out and cutting back. Time to re-charge the batteries without feeling guilty.

#18 Fennel Salad

Posted 15 March 2020 - 07:48 AM

More home and family time. I think as an upside it's a timely reminder that our time on this earth is precious and civilization is fragile. Both can disappear faster than we think. Treasure both!

Eta: been spending more time gardening and it's looking rather spesh ... if i say so myself 😊

Edited by Fennel Salad, 15 March 2020 - 07:50 AM.

#19 CCABW

Posted 15 March 2020 - 07:53 AM

One upside I have seen is that people are actually engaging in social chit chat instead of hiding inside their phones.

#20 newmumandexcited

Posted 15 March 2020 - 08:31 AM

I also think more home time is generally cheaper etc, though of course not great for the economy.

#21 IamzFeralz

Posted 15 March 2020 - 08:38 AM

I am hoping that the anti vax movement will become less attractive around the world as people can now physically and visually experience what a pandemic looks like.  One of their biggest arguments is “when was the last time did you hear about someone dying from measles, tetanus etc?!”

#22 jayskette

Posted 15 March 2020 - 08:45 AM

it's great for introverts!

#23 Sentient Puddle

Posted 15 March 2020 - 08:47 AM

View PostLucrezia Bauble, on 15 March 2020 - 07:10 AM, said:

i’m getting into hand creams due to increased hand washing! i did wash my hands before, i promise! but im increasing the amount of soap i use, the number of times i do it, the length of time etc and my hands are really dry. someone ages ago gave me a lovely little box set of different Crabtree and Evelyn hand creams and i barely used them until now. they’re really nice.

I have Crabtree and Evelyn and they are lovely (gift) however they do test on animals.  If you are looking to buy more hand cream - Ecoya have a lovely guava hand cream in a pump bottle - I got mine from David Jones for about $25.

#24 Ernegirl

Posted 15 March 2020 - 09:02 AM

Our board games have already had a renaissance.

#25 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 17 March 2020 - 02:32 PM

i live under sydney’s flight path....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.