Mental well-being and Covid-19

• Please log in to reply
284 replies to this topic

#1 PooksLikeChristmas

Posted 14 March 2020 - 10:32 PM

We need a place to support each other. No debates, no anti-science, no political commentary, no problem too big or small. This is going to be hard for a lot of people, for a lot of reasons. Come on EB, this is what we do well.

#2 OrangeSprout

Posted 14 March 2020 - 10:36 PM

I don't know what to think.
But then I do get fleeting moments where I feel that this is the beginning of the end.

I have had some real crappy days this last few days and I think it's the worry of this virus....

#3 Fourteenyears

Posted 14 March 2020 - 10:41 PM

PooksLikeChristmas said:

1584189143[/url]' post='18584576']
We need a place to support each other. No debates, no anti-science, no political commentary, no problem too big or small. This is going to be hard for a lot of people, for a lot of reasons. Come on EB, this is what we do well.

I will admit it is driving me nuts.  It isn’t fear, as such.  It’s massive anxiety over not knowing what is going to happen next.  My life has become a lot less predictable and as such a lot higher stress.  I LIKE predictable.

I think I am going to have to shut my business down for ethical reasons (primarily mobile allied health).   I fret endlessly over the implications of going in and out of multiple settings across a day.  Worrying that I could inadvertently become an accidental super-spreader despite my precautions.   I have a couple of clients who will do well with Skype appointments but I am facing the prospect of very little income while still having to cover rent on my consulting room etc.

Throw into that mix an 85 year old mother in law who won’t stop going to the movies and taking public transport, and a 65 year old father who is very experienced in emergency medicine but has diabetes and a pacemaker and.....yeah I am stressed.

Honestly, we are not in the worst position to be going into this.  I know that.  My partner can work from home on full pay when the time comes.  And some of my anxiety isn’t rational - what will be will be and fretting about what course it might take is unhelpful.  But some reactions you just can’t help, and that is where I am right now.

Edited by Fourteenyears, 14 March 2020 - 10:42 PM.

#4 lucky 2

Posted 14 March 2020 - 10:46 PM

Thanks pooks.

I'm feeling stressed but I'm ok. I wish the weekend would pass and I was busy at work. I'd rather be busy than waiting, for whatever to come.
It reminds me of the fires, we were caught in East Gippsland then NSW.
Heightened alertness, checking for news, trying to prepare physically and mentally.

#5 #YKG

Posted 14 March 2020 - 10:48 PM

I had a MDM with my medical team on Friday, they decided that because there has been a diagnosis in an area I’m at daily and I work in a hospital that they are putting me on “restricted movements” until further notice. I can only go to preapproved locations, which right now is only work, my Dr aapts, home and the gym on strict conditions and if anyone is diagnosed at my gym they’ll pull me out of there too.

I had to run around today and try and get what I need, luckily my mum is happy to fill the gaps for supermarket trips for me where I need it. It’s stressful, I’m immunocompromised, if I get it, my body won’t cope so pretty much being isolated just in case. I can’t visit friends, if they want to visit they have to be in perfect health, can’t bring their kids (kids are carriers), can’t visit if they have been around anyone remotely unwell, I can’t touch anyone or be touched so no physical contact.

I already have issues with anxiety, I’m not sure what impact this will have long term.

#6 RichardParker

Posted 14 March 2020 - 10:53 PM

i keep getting a 403 forbidden when I try to post - I’m assuming it’s because I was suggesting yoga as a way to cope, and that can be incredibly annoying.

Worst case scenario this could actually send us bankrupt. I’m trying to stay focussed.

#7 PooksLikeChristmas

Posted 14 March 2020 - 11:09 PM

I think yoga is a fantastic suggestion. My “home school” plan is mornings: give everyone meds, walk the dog, do family mindfulness/yoga. Mental health first. Always.

Trying to feel productive and trying to cope with isolation are really big challenges. Fear of the unknown- I think we are all experiencing this. It’s hard.

Lucky 2, what did you learn from your experiences of the bushfires?

#8 Chaotic Pogo

Posted 14 March 2020 - 11:14 PM

Thanks Pooks.

YKG I’m immunocompromised too. I haven’t left the house since last Sunday. As you say, kids are germy little critters, so we pulled mine out of school and they’ve been home too.  

It has been interesting. We’ve gone from bughouse busy to ‘I’m bored, I’m hungry’. I keep wanting to yell at them. I don’t like being that person but how do I work from home if I can’t even go to the bathroom by myself?!&@$$))

I’ve been ‘prepping’ for a while so I have mostly what I need already in the house.  Did the medication etc a couple weeks ago, had bought grocery extras for a while and I’m having a final mad fling at online shopping.

DH and I are trying to decide what will happen if he has contact with a case. Ie where he will sleep.  Might wind up being in the car at this rate.  I’ve mentally set that in a box labeled  ‘His problem to sort out’.  

Priorities are stay alive, keep the house, keep the business running and people in jobs, in that order.  (We'll put everything but our own house into the business)

Amazing how many other issues start to drop away - you still have to deal, but they don’t seem so important!  

This is going to be a very big week. Try to expect/accept that so it’s less of a shock.  I hate change too Fourteen Years.

#9 Chaotic Pogo

Posted 14 March 2020 - 11:16 PM

Pooks, I like your homeschool plan!

#10 RichardParker

Posted 14 March 2020 - 11:19 PM

Google yoga with Adriene on YouTube. All free content- she’s an awesome teacher for beginners. She seriously saved my sanity when I was in effective house arrest for six months in a new city with a screaming baby.

#11 lucky 2

Posted 14 March 2020 - 11:34 PM

I learned that being alert and taking sensible measures to keep safe was helpful.
To get my information from different sources and check the facts with reputable sources.
That I like to keep busy.
That there are always people more stressed than me, and sometimes I can help them by being kind.
I think I have more patience with strangers, I easily go in to the caring role but when people close to me are stressed I find it more triggering.
Actually, my dd's stress level distresses me, which I wish didn't happen because I know she can't help it.
I found it very difficult to help soothe her during the fires, impossible really, and it's starting to peak again.

Thanks for asking.

#12 3rd time lucky

Posted 14 March 2020 - 11:43 PM

This is a very important thread. Thanks for starting.

I am a mildly anxious person.

I have not slept well for the last few nights as my brain ticks over what the hell the next f few months brings....

So much uncertainty.

#13 PooksLikeChristmas

Posted 14 March 2020 - 11:48 PM

That sounds very traumatic. I understand about how different it is when it’s your loved ones, children especially, vs when you can use your experience of ‘professional distance’. I wonder what might be different about this crisis, that will allow you and your DD to have a different experience? I hope you can find ways to keep busy.

I’ve been preparing goods for a while too Chaotic Pogo. But haven’t worked out all the contingency plans yet. It’s tricky stuff. I think where there are medically fragile people in a family, it would be good to have some kind of alternative accommodation available for people to quarantine themselves. Perhaps motels or something. I will be interested to see what options become available, if any.

#14 Chaotic Pogo

Posted 15 March 2020 - 12:17 AM

There is an option, but it’s 90 mins away. So he’d have to commute, plus when we get shutdowns he may not be able to travel that far ( we live near work).

Ive even thought of renting him a flat! But $.
Install a bed, hot water and a shower at work so he can stay there once the staff have to work from home. IDK.  

but first world problems hey ;)

What contingencies are you still working on Pooks?

#15 PooksLikeChristmas

Posted 15 March 2020 - 12:35 AM

If myself or the kids get sick we will probably be okay, but my husband is a severe asthmatic. Even a cold virus knocks him badly, he does end up in hospital every now and then with it. So trying to work out what to do with him should myself or the kids get sick, so he doesn’t get exposed. Right now the only option would be a motel or similar. We’re also also trying to get his work to agree to him working from home ASAP.

#16 Sweet.Pea

Posted 15 March 2020 - 06:40 AM

3rd time lucky, on 14 March 2020 - 11:43 PM, said:

This is a very important thread. Thanks for starting.

I am a mildly anxious person.

I have not slept well for the last few nights as my brain ticks over what the hell the next f few months brings....

So much uncertainty.

I haven't been sleeping well either.

Everywhere I go, everytime I turn on the TV, or read the internet, it's in my face.

I'm not worried that I will get it, I'm worried about the flow on effects of it.

Already we can't get groceries, unless we want to go in for the masses. It's getting harder to buy the usual grocery list - substitutes cost more.

All activities are cancelled, so we are either stuck at home day in, day out or go to the shops or a playcentre.

I'm also concerned about the health system and how that is going to cope if the schools/childcare centres close. Even needing to go to the local doctor for the flu shot.

#17 luke's mummu

Posted 15 March 2020 - 06:59 AM

Sweet pea- pharmacists can also give flu shots ( assuming you’re relatively healthy).

My anxiety is also ramping up- I thrive on routine and hate any changes. I’m worried the 4 of us ( 2 adults,2 kids) will drive each other crazy in a small house. There’s no other friends/relatives to go to if one of us gets sick, no spare bedrooms - we’ll just have to stay home and infect the entire family. Unless we set up a tent in the backyard

#18 luke's mummu

Posted 15 March 2020 - 07:01 AM

Also, we can’t stockpile much  food- no room for a seperate freezer, both kids are very fussy eaters, and one has already been refusing multigrain bread. That’s all I could get.

#19 newmumandexcited

Posted 15 March 2020 - 07:05 AM

RichardParker, on 14 March 2020 - 10:53 PM, said:

i keep getting a 403 forbidden when I try to post - I’m assuming it’s because I was suggesting yoga as a way to cope, and that can be incredibly annoying.

Worst case scenario this could actually send us bankrupt. I’m trying to stay focussed.

I had to laugh about the yoga thing. At least it’s not the suggestion of meditation!

Personally I love yoga.

#20 IamtheMumma

Posted 15 March 2020 - 07:10 AM

The 2 week quarantine and being away from DS is the part that will do my head in. I’ve just started a new job. I’ve yet to get my first pay from it. Having been on the PPS for the last 5 months and moved for the job, I have no financial cushioning. I don’t think work would sack me as it is a pandemic but the fear is there. It’s unlikely the sickness will kill me but starvation might. I just need it to give me a month to get semi-back on my feet.

I have enough ADs to get me through but not the pantry. If I get exposed at work, I’d have to rely on the nanny to care for DS until a family member can arrive to pick him up and take him to my mum.

#21 Popper

Posted 15 March 2020 - 07:40 AM

Nice thread.

I am feeling anxious and I second the yoga advice. Sometimes I do the Cosmic Yoga on YouTube with the kids as a nice family activity!

DH is getting on top of pool and yard maintenance so we can spend time outside once the lock downs come into force which I think will be essential to mental health.

We have been planning and prepping for 3 weeks now and that has helped me. DH is an immunologist and called this one early so i feel fortunate to have his calm, informed shoulders to rest on.

We are in a position to offer help to family,friends and neighbours which also feels empowering.

We are trying to remind each other to step away from the news and online world so that is also helpful.

#22 blimkybill

Posted 15 March 2020 - 07:46 AM

This is a lot harder than the bushfires, because firstly we had seen bushfires before, secondly we felt our services protecting us knew what they were doing, and thirdly we knew it would end by the end of summer.
But I feel for me I learned a few lessons, which i am using now.
- knowledge helps me feel better. so I have been reading a huge amount and keeping my knowledge just a little ahead of the curve. Then I feel more in control and make my own decisions to my own timeline rather than waiting for official advice (which always seems a little late)
- helping others makes a lot of people feel better. Having some hope that humanity are not horrible helps us feel better. So i am doing stuff in my local community to build solidarity and mutual helping
- with more time on my hands both during the bushfires and in the weeks and months ahead I have started some creative pursuits which I am usually too busy for. So that's my little silver lining.

And a little something about children. Children can often adapt to change. It amazed me when i saw children in childcare centres prevented from going outdoors for weeks. At first it was hell, but then they started to adapt and calm to it. I think (and hope) that many children will adapt to changed circumstances in ways that surprise us. But we do need to continue to make sure they feel safe.

#23 SFmummyto3

Posted 15 March 2020 - 08:02 AM

I agree with stepping away from the news a bit. I'm usually one to read as much as possible but am getting so stressed over it all, I now just flick through the headlines a bit to get the main points then quickly scroll down.

I'm so stressed anyway, I went to the doctor last week. Divorce is finalising, I'm being forced to move out of our long term house with the kids (teens),  dd in Year 12 and has high anxiety already, her 18th in a couple of weeks is off, all other 18th's are cancelled, I still need to shop for her present, packing up the house, moving this week, money is an issue, no job ughhhh, trying to keep it together :(

The Adrienne yoga is great I think I'll start that 'again'. I would love to do Pilates again but it's too costly for me right now. Trying to walk the dog a bit more and get fresh air to clear my head a bit.

Edited by SFmummyto3, 15 March 2020 - 08:09 AM.

#24 Mishu

Posted 15 March 2020 - 08:10 AM

I’m very fortunate that I don’t have anxiety so I’m feeling ok. I can work from home, so we don’t have the worry of losing our house hanging over our head. I can feel the edges of fear creep up sometimes but then I focus on the here & now. And that we are all ok at the moment.

The media doesn’t help. Fact-based reporting is good. But some sites love to sensationalise things. Bad news sells papers etc.

My mum is a concern-she’s just been diagnosed as a diabetic and is waiting for heart surgery. At 72 she is the higher risk category. Fortunately, she and my stepdad are homebodies. I’ve just convinced her to let me try and do an online grocery order for them, so they can avoid the shops. But I worry about her.

I can also see a few colleagues at work who are getting increasingly worried/panicked. If nothing else, I’m there to listen to them. I’m going to reach out to a few friends to make sure they are ok.

#25 lizzzard

Posted 15 March 2020 - 08:16 AM

RichardParker, on 14 March 2020 - 10:53 PM, said:

This is us too :( I'm trying to stay calm because problem solving requires clear thinking. After a few days of freaking out I'm sort of back in the game again now.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.