Enough with the “panic buying”

• Please log in to reply
1625 replies to this topic

#1 #YKG

Posted 04 March 2020 - 04:45 PM

POPULAR

Seriously enough! It’s ridiculous, no one needs 200 rolls of toilet paper, 40 boxes of tissues, 100 rolls of paper towel, 20 bottles of sanitizer.
My neighbour was home with her young unwell baby, she saw me heading out and asked if I could get a few things for her because her husband is away and didn’t want to take the baby to supermarkets when unwelll. Fair enough. Happy to help her out. Seriously 4 supermarkets later I finally able to find what I needed, the nappies, toilet paper (no one had any) and baby wipes my neighbour needed.

Panic buying serves not a single person any good, people who can’t afford to “stock up” on essential items are going to be hurt the most. If you continue to panic buy where do you think that person on a pension that can only shop once a fortnight is going to get their basic essentials? Or those on low incomes that can’t afford to stock pile and also need toilet paper, nappies, tissues, wipes? It just smacks of middle class arrogance and “me me me”, making stupid choices that hurt people who aren’t as fortunate as they are.

If you contract the virus (if you practice basic hygiene and healthy you should be fine) you are not going to need 200 rolls of toilet paper! If you go through 200 rolls in 14 days as a general thing  REALLY need to see a Dr to sort out why that is.

Edited by #YKG, 04 March 2020 - 04:47 PM.

#2 Lunafreya

Posted 04 March 2020 - 04:53 PM

As a person without a car I cant stock up

#3 Yippee-Ki-Yay

Posted 04 March 2020 - 04:58 PM

I was behind someone at the local shop today who was complaining about all the people panic buying while she pushed her trolley full of ten bulk packets of toilet paper.  I nearly strained an eye ball.

#4 kim27

Posted 04 March 2020 - 04:59 PM

I just wanted to get one 8 roll pack of toilet paper before the long weekend today and there was nothing. Admittedly I only went to one supermarket but still, it mad me really angry. It’s just so selfish.

#5 #YKG

Posted 04 March 2020 - 05:03 PM

Kim I went to 4 and no one had any toilet paper. The manager at the last supermarket I went to said they were getting a load of toilet paper at midnight tonight but will be gone by 7am, they open at 6am.

No one went this hard when we had swine flu.

#6 Holidayromp

Posted 04 March 2020 - 05:04 PM

You cannot eat toilet paper!

that’s the last thing I would be bulk buying.  Tinned food, bottled water, bleach, disposable gloves, rubbish bags and batteries would be at the top of my list.

#7 Sweet.Pea

Posted 04 March 2020 - 05:06 PM

View Post#YKG, on 04 March 2020 - 05:03 PM, said:

Kim I went to 4 and no one had any toilet paper. The manager at the last supermarket I went to said they were getting a load of toilet paper at midnight tonight but will be gone by 7am, they open at 6am.

No one went this hard when we had swine flu.

Was China locked down when there was swine flu? I was too young to care back then. I'm an 'it will happen to me' person now, so take more notice.

The toilet paper has got me mystified. The baking supplies were few and far between too. Are people going to be baking? Or only if they absolutely need to? Will there be a lot of wasted ingredients?

#8 too tired to care

Posted 04 March 2020 - 05:08 PM

I find this panic buying very bizarre. It's like it is the end of the world, each person out for themselves.

I am immunocompromised and if I contract the virus then I will likely be in hospital on a ventilator and I have not started stocking up as I don't see the need.
I assume that I will be able to get essentials and even food/ meals delivered if need be for me and the kids.

But as OP said if people keep stockpiling for armageddon then the rest of us will not even be able to get essentials.

I have also heard that toilet paper, etc is the new baby formula.
People are stocking up and sending it overseas to be sold at huge profits. Not sure how true this is but it might make some sense of the craziness.

#9 #YKG

Posted 04 March 2020 - 05:14 PM

Swine flu started in the US in early 2009 (pretty much exactly 10 years ago) it hit world wide including China. They said at the time “we will all get it” and in reality was very few cases in Australia. The scare mongering in the media is ridiculous. What is being reported and the info we are getting at work is worlds apart (I work in a major public hospital).
People need to realise they are just not super likely to get it.

PP I’m also immunocompromised my Drs are all like “practice good hygiene, you’ll be fine, it’s unlikely you’ll get it anyway”

Edited by #YKG, 04 March 2020 - 05:15 PM.

#10 Bethlehem Babe

Posted 04 March 2020 - 05:15 PM

Sorry wrong thread.

Edited by Bethlehem Babe, 04 March 2020 - 05:22 PM.

#11 born.a.girl

Posted 04 March 2020 - 05:17 PM

View Posttoo tired to care, on 04 March 2020 - 05:08 PM, said:

I find this panic buying very bizarre. It's like it is the end of the world, each person out for themselves.

I am immunocompromised and if I contract the virus then I will likely be in hospital on a ventilator and I have not started stocking up as I don't see the need.
I assume that I will be able to get essentials and even food/ meals delivered if need be for me and the kids.

But as OP said if people keep stockpiling for armageddon then the rest of us will not even be able to get essentials.

I have also heard that toilet paper, etc is the new baby formula.
People are stocking up and sending it overseas to be sold at huge profits. Not sure how true this is but it might make some sense of the craziness.

I haven't seen any credible source for this yet - doesn't mean it's not happening of course.

I haven't shopped for a week so don't expect much joy for the things we buy every week, but I'm not too worried.

Once the panic stricken have their houses full the shelves will stay nicely stocked for a while.

#12 TrixieBelden

Posted 04 March 2020 - 05:19 PM

You can only hope that a reasonable number of people actually start reflecting rationally on the risks to our health that as a society we’ve just come to accept. The large numbers of inadequately vaccinated adults. The inadequate funding of public health, primary health care, the public hospital system and public medical research. The appalling disparity in the cost of food and basic supplies between our cities and our remote communities. The devastating effect on our health of excess alcohol consumption. The reliance on a market that in the last couple of years has already seen major shortages of diabetes drugs, analgesics, blood thinners and drugs needed for surgery.

Before and after Coronavirus we remain in the same exact position: we are all one diagnosis away from weeks or months unable to work, or in hospital or rehab. Our voting patterns don’t reflect that reality.

#13 amdirel

Posted 04 March 2020 - 05:21 PM

I want to know who all these nutjob panic purchasers are? Every comment I read online or hear on the radio is one of disbelief. I just went to the shops to buy tonight's dinner (I'm clearly not a prepper!) and all the targeted shelves were completely empty, with all other shoppers walking past and laughing at the patheticness. I guess all the crazies have run out of their homes, covered with PPE, hand sanitizer and glen20, and are now cowering in fear back at home. It's just weird. And sad, and aggravating, at how selfish our society truly is...

#14 alias grace

Posted 04 March 2020 - 05:22 PM

I really don't get the mentality of 'let's avoid a completely theoretical and extremely remote risk of a toilet paper shortage by creating a very real, immediate and unnecessary toilet paper shortage'.  It's just so, so selfish and bizarre.  And such a random choice too: 2/3 of Australia's toilet paper is locally produced and so there's almost no risk of the global supply chain being interrupted.

#15 Melbs2010

Posted 04 March 2020 - 05:24 PM

View PostSweet.Pea, on 04 March 2020 - 05:06 PM, said:

Will there be a lot of wasted ingredients?

I was wondering a similar thing.  Given that the average household wastes several hundred or over a thousand dollars each year on food that gets thrown away I'm concerned that even for non-perishable foods there will be tremendous wastage with all this buying.

I'd bought up extras in the last couple of weeks of some gluten free foods to cater to my coeliac kid should there be any issues.  A lot of gluten free products are imported.  Sure enough the pasta section was completely bare the other day and there was only one box of gluten free left.  I go through pasta quite quickly so if that trend continues the spare few boxes will come in handy.

#16 lozoodle

Posted 04 March 2020 - 05:24 PM

Could not agree more. Ridiculous. We'll all end up getting it at some point anyway.

#17 #YKG

Posted 04 March 2020 - 05:25 PM

View Postamdirel, on 04 March 2020 - 05:21 PM, said:

I want to know who all these nutjob panic purchasers are? Every comment I read online or hear on the radio is one of disbelief. I just went to the shops to buy tonight's dinner (I'm clearly not a prepper!) and all the targeted shelves were completely empty, with all other shoppers walking past and laughing at the patheticness. I guess all the crazies have run out of their homes, covered with PPE, hand sanitizer and glen20, and are now cowering in fear back at home. It's just weird. And sad, and aggravating, at how selfish our society truly is...

Look in WDYT corona thread. 35 pages of stock piling, panic buying and scare mongering. I think it kind started as a joke, but has gone into “we are facing Armageddon” no, no we aren’t.

#18 purplekitty

Posted 04 March 2020 - 05:32 PM

View PostTrixieBelden, on 04 March 2020 - 05:19 PM, said:

You can only hope that a reasonable number of people actually start reflecting rationally on the risks to our health that as a society we’ve just come to accept. The large numbers of inadequately vaccinated adults. The inadequate funding of public health, primary health care, the public hospital system and public medical research. The appalling disparity in the cost of food and basic supplies between our cities and our remote communities. The devastating effect on our health of excess alcohol consumption. The reliance on a market that in the last couple of years has already seen major shortages of diabetes drugs, analgesics, blood thinners and drugs needed for surgery.

Before and after Coronavirus we remain in the same exact position: we are all one diagnosis away from weeks or months unable to work, or in hospital or rehab. Our voting patterns don’t reflect that reality.

So much is taken for granted and people do not want to hear that.
Our health system and staff are under enormous pressure every day.

Serious pharmaceutical shortages are a fact of life now, we are at the mercy of international forces.

#19 newmumandexcited

Posted 04 March 2020 - 05:35 PM

View PostLunafreya, on 04 March 2020 - 04:53 PM, said:

As a person without a car I cant stock up

I can’t drive but deliveries are a lifesaver.

#20 Amica

Posted 04 March 2020 - 05:35 PM

For the last 2 days we have had Scott Morrison and Christian Porter in the media telling Australians to prepare for the enactment of bio-security laws which will include restricting movements, forced lockdowns and detainment.

IMO this has only contributed to the panic buying. Honestly, we haven't stocked up, but can you blame people? They've seen people in China on the news for weeks locked into apartment buildings, and they don't know how far our government will go.

Here I quote the esteemed Christian Porter from late yesterday:

“These are likely to be activated on a scale in Australia that will affect many people.”

But he acknowledged enforcing the laws would feel "strange and foreign" to many people.

He said he understood Australians wanted their health protected in the "least invasive" and "most effective way possible."

South Australia is already rushing through new laws allowing for the immediate detention of people suspected of having coronavirus, including possible arrest powers.

https://www.sbs.com....iosecurity-laws

I can see how people may hoard supplies in case freedom of movement is restricted... which as Australians we have been warned may happen in no uncertain terms.

Edited by Amica, 04 March 2020 - 05:44 PM.

#21 Silverstreak

Posted 04 March 2020 - 05:40 PM

No toilet paper at our local shops. We do have paper towel as backup, as well as a few wipes. : P

#22 Crazyone26989

Posted 04 March 2020 - 05:49 PM

View Postnewmumandexcited, on 04 March 2020 - 05:35 PM, said:

I can’t drive but deliveries are a lifesaver.

I didn’t want to take the baby to get groceries today (first world problem) and was thinking I’d do online Coles delivery for tomorrow. I can usually get a time slot for the next day. The next available was for Sunday and when I had a look this afternoon it was Monday. This was for both Woolies and Coles.

#23 SkeptiHandsOnMum

Posted 04 March 2020 - 05:49 PM

View PostHolidayromp, on 04 March 2020 - 05:04 PM, said:

You cannot eat toilet paper!

that’s the last thing I would be bulk buying.  Tinned food, bottled water, bleach, disposable gloves, rubbish bags and batteries would be at the top of my list.
And you can't wipe your bum with tinned food.

Hmmm. I don't know the benefit in that statement, but it made me feel good to write it.

At first I thought that the toilet paper thing might have been because one of the listed symptoms is diarrhoea. But I am not so sure. I think it likely started with something simple (like stories of it running out overseas), and some people started to panic. Then (per an article I read today), shelves started to look empty, not because there is a shortage overall, but because toilet paper is bulky and uses a lot of storage space when you are having daily delivery trucks anyway. Then because the shelves are near empty, the panic is increasing, and people who otherwise would not care or stockpile toilet paper are thinking that the panic buyers are going to mean that we will not be able to buy normal day-to-day supplies, so buy extra to keep up, so as they have it when they need it later.

It is a crazy cycle. DS (18) came home from work last night with 48 packs of toilet paper (I am a little worried how good hardware store toilet paper is going to be), because a lot of customers were coming in buying it, so he thought he had missed something and should buy it in case. Thankfully he is moving out soon and can take all of his toilet paper with him.

#24 Riotproof

Posted 04 March 2020 - 05:53 PM

Does anyone think Criminister may be using this as the ultimate distraction?

#25 bubskitkat

Posted 04 March 2020 - 05:56 PM

I was in Aldi today buying dinner and they had just got a delivery of toilet paper! People were filling their trolleys with bulk packs, baby wipes, spaghetti, spaghetti sauce, flour ect.

it was crazy time. The staff on the registers were only allowing 1 packet of toilet paper per person.

yes I purchased a pack as my thoughts are with this craziness,   Supply might be depleted for awhile.

btw I have not purchased anything else as I buy what I need when I need it. Yes I shop often but small amounts

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1), Google (1)

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.