No dominant follicle, pls help!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Amanda1811

Posted 02 March 2020 - 11:13 AM

Hello!

I have been ttc for 5 months.. after being on pill for 10+ years.

On day 14 this cycle, i tested 'sort of' positive on an OPK. (Line became gradually darker but not quite as dark as control line)

From day 15 onwards I had a clear BBT rise

But on day 15 i had an ultrasound and the fertility specilaist said she could not see any dominant follicles...

Does this definitely mean I am not ovulating?

I also get brown spotting at least a week before AF (now having acupuncture to try balance things out)

Any insights in this area greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Edited by Babydugong11, 02 March 2020 - 11:13 AM.

#2 ckmelb

Posted 02 March 2020 - 03:47 PM

Hi, don't stress it could mean lots of things.

Eg you could have surged between tests and therefore the line wasn't super dark. Therefore you had already ovulated and on day 15 therefore the follicle had released the egg. That's potentially too late to check. How long are your cycles?

You probably need ovulation tracking

Unsure about the brown spotting, maybe others can help

#3 Amanda1811

Posted 02 March 2020 - 04:04 PM

Oh okay, yes that's true. I'm hoping so!
I will have blood tests done later to see if she missed them, or like you said, maybe I already had ovulated.
Just confusing with the temp rise the next day.
My cycles are usually 27-28 days but AF very light... so hard to know what is spotting and when AF starts

#4 Wolf87

Posted 03 March 2020 - 05:18 AM

View Postckmelb, on 02 March 2020 - 03:47 PM, said:

Eg you could have surged between tests and therefore the line wasn't super dark. Therefore you had already ovulated and on day 15 therefore the follicle had released the egg. That's potentially too late to check. How long are your cycles?

Just on this, if you had recently ovulated, an ultrasound would show it.

You might just have had a dud month, it does happen, where you get the surge but don’t actually ovulate. I struggled with the line tests, I really liked the Clearblue with the smiley face to be more reliable. Still not a guarantee you’ve actually ovulated tho.

I would definitely second the ovulation tracking to check what’s happening. 5 months isn’t a long time and I wouldn’t be worried but obviously best to get apparent issues checked out.

With regards to the spotting, I had exactly the same thing. Used to get like a week of spotting, which made me think my luteal phase was perilously short. They never found a cause, but did investigate Endometriosis, so that might be worth a check. The only definite way to diagnose is laposcrapy (sp?) but a blood test (CA125) can give an indication that you might have it.

*Pregnancy mentioned*

I needed IVF in the end, mostly due to male factors. Didn’t have a problem during pregnancy with my spotting (I was on early progesterone support tho) and the spotting has greatly reduced since, now I only get a few days.

Sorry if that is more info that you need! The spotting thing used to drive me crazy.

#5 Amanda1811

Posted 03 March 2020 - 10:48 AM

The more info the better thanks!
It does seem like it's a dud month.
Although I am now concerned I haven't been ovulating at all these last 5 months. Will wait for the blood tests and if it comes back showing a problem with ovulation, I'll look at clomid.

So you didn't have endo in the end? I have hardly any pain and only light bleeding, so hopefully I don't.

Thank you :)

#6 Wolf87

Posted 05 March 2020 - 03:42 PM

Yep I would definitely get checked out, you’d hate to be trying month in month out when you’re not even ovulating.
Didn’t diagnose endo, they might have ended up doing a lap to explore my infertility/unexplained spotting, but since we needed IVF due to male factors anyway, we didn’t explore further. My periods were never too bad so not a huge reason to dive into a lap.
When they do cycle tracking to make sure you are ovulating, they will also see if your progesterone is high enough to support a pregnancy, as low progesterone could cause spotting too.
Good luck!

#7 IamOzgirl

Posted 06 March 2020 - 12:15 PM

View Postckmelb, on 02 March 2020 - 03:47 PM, said:

This

Re the spotting I may mean you need literal phase support. (Like progesterone, please ask about it)

Spotting went away mostly for me on Vitex (can get at most chemists.

Please know that day one of you cycle is when you get bright red blood. It might also be a good idea for you to temp as the temp drop. Indicates your period will start

Officially your Day 1 is when bright red blood happens before 12 noon. If it is after 12 noon CD1 is the next day.

#8 Amanda1811

Posted 07 March 2020 - 07:11 AM

Thanks - yes I Temp and usually I get 2 days red blood spotting then the temp drop.
I also suspect progesterone issues - I ordered vitex so hopefully it kicks in straight away!
How long did it take for you to boost up levels?

#9 IamOzgirl

Posted 09 March 2020 - 02:25 PM

Vitex for me worked within a month (ie my next period.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.