What did you forget to pack?

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 bubskitkat

Posted 28 February 2020 - 08:05 PM

When going on holidays what did you forget to pack?

what do you wish you had taken with you on holidays but didn’t?

#2 Purple Polka Dots

Posted 28 February 2020 - 08:07 PM

We always take a power board. Then you only need one international charger. Also works well domestically, if low on PowerPoints and need to charge multiple phones etc

#3 SeaPrincess

Posted 28 February 2020 - 08:15 PM

Bathers. They take up no room, and after being caught without them once, I just throw them in.

We always take a power board as well.

#4 seayork2002

Posted 28 February 2020 - 08:20 PM

Sink plug is all i can think of now but i will have more

#5 luke's mummu

Posted 28 February 2020 - 08:25 PM

Last year we went on a one week driving holiday. 2 hours in, DH discovers he is wearing his slippers. Forgot to pack any shoes. A detour to Kmart was needed

#6 anna banana2

Posted 28 February 2020 - 08:26 PM

When staying at an apartment like an airbnb I always take a knife sharpener, rubber gloves and a microfiber cloth, but people say I'm weird.

#7 Mollyksy

Posted 28 February 2020 - 08:29 PM

An overnight work trip. Only one bra. The underwire totally wont stay in and after being shoved in a few times puts a hole in my shirt and is visible poking out through the neckline. Taking it out leaves one perky G cup and one gravity flattened G cup. I took the other out and opted for two knee length b00bs and learned to pack a spare bra!

#8 Meepy

Posted 28 February 2020 - 08:30 PM

DS didn't take any jumpers on a winter holiday to Warrnambool.

#9 lizzzard

Posted 28 February 2020 - 08:39 PM

ETA (Electronic Travel Authority) for the US- not exactly something I ‘forgot to pack’ but very stressful when I nearly missed my flight because I didn’t sort it out before I arrived to check in.

I forgot my purse once but remembered when I got to the airport. I rang DH (I was travelling on my own) - he brought it to me and I had plenty of time.

Considering all the travel I do it’s amazing I haven’t forgotten more things. I’ve packed badly a few times and had to make do or go and buy something but I’ve never (yet) forgotten an essential item like my computer or phone!

#10 PrincessPeach

Posted 28 February 2020 - 08:47 PM

DH didnt pack a thick overcoat for NZ.

He figured it was summer there so all he would need was a jumper at the most. Side trip to kathmandu & he was set. Not sure how he thought 10 degrees was warm.

#11 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 28 February 2020 - 08:54 PM

I always forget my toothbrush. Or a razor. Or both. And a shower cap, I always forget my shower cap.

I just suck at packing toiletries I guess.

#12 Let-it-go

Posted 28 February 2020 - 08:55 PM

Oh god, the first thing I do when I arrive on holidays is shop for all the things I forget.

Kids hats when going on a beach holiday
Knickers, I had to wash the 1 pair each night
Socks (I discovered Coles cheap black socks are fab)
I left a whole bag in the hallway with my favourite hat and noise cancelling headphones
Sunscreen when going to Europe was one of the more annoying things - it’s SO expensive in France!

To the PP I also pack washing up gloves!

#13 Bearynice

Posted 28 February 2020 - 08:57 PM

My husband always forgets his belt.

Otherwise it tends to be that we need cream for mozzie bites or something similar

#14 littlepickle

Posted 28 February 2020 - 09:01 PM

Best item for travel (business and pleasure): dissolvable laundry sheets and a little device with Velcro that wraps around the bathroom towel rail and has pegs. Perfect for hand washing and drying under ware.
Have just bought a ‘scrubba’ Bag so will see how that goes.

Once travelled 3 hours from home without the portacot.. put the 18 month old in the spare double bed. Refused to sleep in a cot after that.

#15 Soontobegran

Posted 28 February 2020 - 09:13 PM

Just an overnight 'mini break' but I forgot my OCP.

Hello to DD4.

#16 luke's mummu

Posted 28 February 2020 - 09:17 PM

Overnight in an expensive hotel for a wedding- I forgot to pack my blood pressure medications. Had to rush home because I was so stressed I’d have a stroke. Now I carry the prescription with me at all times

#17 timtam92

Posted 28 February 2020 - 09:17 PM

View Post~LemonMyrtle~, on 28 February 2020 - 08:54 PM, said:

I always forget my toothbrush. Or a razor. Or both. And a shower cap, I always forget my shower cap.

I just suck at packing toiletries I guess.

I have a toilet bag always packed with everything you need. Then you don’t need to think!

#18 ineedmorecoffee

Posted 28 February 2020 - 09:22 PM

Forgot to take sunscreen to Hawaii :doh:

Bought some there and then stupidly didn’t read the part which said only 2 hour protection, assuming it was a 4 hour one like the ones we have at home :doh:

#19 Inkogneatoh

Posted 28 February 2020 - 09:22 PM

View PostPurple Polka Dots, on 28 February 2020 - 08:07 PM, said:

We always take a power board. Then you only need one international charger. Also works well domestically, if low on PowerPoints and need to charge multiple phones etc
I've only traveled domestically, but I've thrown a shortish extension cord in with my power board after the place I stayed where all the power points outside of the kitchen were behind things. Made laying in bed, playing my tablet so much easier.

I also found a tube of superglue and a spare pair of laces very handy when I only took the shoes I was wearing (and hard to track down where I was).

I also normally pack a small jar of Vegemite. Where I was staying, I could get bread, marg, cheese and a couple of other things at a fairly reasonable price, but they charged through the teeth for spreads.

#20 wannabe30

Posted 28 February 2020 - 10:06 PM

I’ve had some shockers when it comes to forgetting the important stuff...

Heading to the snow, drove approx 1.5 hours into a 5+ hour trip, realised we had forgotten ski clothing and ski boots. Had to backtrack and turned it into an 8 hour trip.

Went to a weekend-away wedding and left the suit bag containing DH’s suit and my dress at home.

Arrived at the beach holiday destination and had forgotten swimwear for DH and I (kids were all sorted!)

Another holiday DH packed all his clothes into a packing cell and I forgot to pop it in the suitcase. So he had literally the clothes he was wearing.

#21 IamOzgirl

Posted 28 February 2020 - 10:17 PM

Omg I am glad I’m not the only one!

I tend to leave more things behind than forget to pack.

But underwear is a big one!

#22 IamOzgirl

Posted 28 February 2020 - 10:19 PM

Bubs a power board is very handy on a cruise!

Also a water bottle.

#23 wannabe30

Posted 28 February 2020 - 10:42 PM

I’m terrible at remembering to pack undies too. And PJs. Only for me - I remember all the kids’ stuff and forget essentials for myself.

#24 Inkogneatoh

Posted 28 February 2020 - 11:01 PM

On the cold weather clothing, I remember a trip we did when I was a young teen. It involved my Mum uttering more than once "We are going to central NSW, it's Summer, you will be lucky if you need a light jumper once". We were near Parkes for Christmas. It was so cold, if memory serves me correctly, that it snowed in in several places, including Orange (an hour down the road) on Boxing Day. It never snowed in Parkes, something about the elevation, but sleet isn't uncommon. Someone (*cough* my mother *cough*) then decided we would go further south, close to the Vic border for New Years. With jumpers borrowed from my grandparents. My brother, who was relegated to sleeping in a tent (because my grandparents place was small, and it was Summer) ended the school holidays recovering from pneumonia.

#25 PuddingandPies

Posted 28 February 2020 - 11:42 PM

Forgot to pack any underwear (bras and undies) on an trip to the USA. Just what I was wearing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.