WWYD: Courier delivery

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Lady Gray

Posted 27 February 2020 - 11:57 AM

Yesterday I ordered $2000 worth of medical supplies for a family member.  It was a big expense and I did it because I'm worried about accessing future medical supplies for this family member in light of the coronavirus virus.

I paid an additional $45 for delivery today and the courier just buzzed on my door.  I said come in and please come to the back of the block through the courtyard (we're in an apartment complex).  He said no, I leave it here.  I said I can't come and get it as my daughter is with me, please bring it through and buzzed it in.  He then left it inside the complex at the front door and disappeared.

I'm furious and want to call make a complaint.  I had to get a neighbour to help me carry it in as it was a heavy box as well as waking up my kid who is home sick and was asleep as I was worried about leaving it at the front of the complex (inside the building but visible from the street).

I hate complaining and I know that it is a pain to park here (inner city) and the delivery driver was probably worried about his vehicle.

What would you do?

Edited by Lady Gray, 27 February 2020 - 07:55 PM.

#2 Riotproof

Posted 27 February 2020 - 12:01 PM

How old is your daughter? I don’t really understand why you couldn’t let him in to deliver it to your front door.

#3 wallofdodo

Posted 27 February 2020 - 12:08 PM

I probably would have gone down and got it when he buzzed

#4 SummerStar

Posted 27 February 2020 - 12:13 PM

I would have gone down but you got the items. They weren't stolen. I'd let it go. The amount of issues I've had with couriers in the last few weeks, one of which delivered my whole order to someone else, I'm just glad to receive what I paid for these days and save my energy and complaints for when they really screw up my delivery not because they didn't deliver to my standards.

#5 born.a.girl

Posted 27 February 2020 - 12:18 PM

Is there a reason why you couldn't leave your daughter for a couple of minutes to go and get it?

I understand your frustration, but the courier would not have been paid any more to get it there today, the company pockets that, and they spent an eternity at apartment blocks waiting for people who'll 'just be a minute...'

Had Aust Post drop a card in the letterbox the other day (saying no one home) for something I was hanging around for HOURS for (that bit's o.k.) and left the front door open so they could see it was worth ringing the bell. Not a peep out of the dog, who'd normally go beserk with joy at someone even coming on to the front verandah.

That said, my business of 25 years also worked with couriers, and I know what they have to put up with at the other end.

EFS

Edited by born.a.girl, 27 February 2020 - 12:26 PM.

#6 lozoodle

Posted 27 February 2020 - 12:20 PM

Honestly I'd let it go, he buzzed, you didn't come down, he left it inside the complex, no one stole. Alls well that ends well.

Surely your daughter would have been ok for a minute or two?

#7 seayork2002

Posted 27 February 2020 - 12:21 PM

I would have grumbled and gone and got the parcel, I do not think there is a definition of where the parcel has to be delivered to (as in specific place) so sure I am happy when they bring things in but no I do not expect it

#8 Crombek

Posted 27 February 2020 - 12:25 PM

If count my lucky stars that a courier delivered to my door lol. We get cards only for all except one courier company, most parcels are delivered  to the post office. Which only opens business hours mon-fri. It made it physically impossible to order things online when I worked full time as I couldn't get delivery to work either

#9 RichardParker

Posted 27 February 2020 - 12:38 PM

Often the couriers can't park outside buildings for very long - or have to keep their van/truck within eyesight.  Going up in a lift to the front door of an apartment can take too long.

When we lived in an apartment, I kept one of those little trolleys that store-men have so I could just wheel heavy boxes up.

#10 Dolled

Posted 27 February 2020 - 12:48 PM

I wouldn't make a complaint.  I would have either gone and met him or collected it later.
I think he has completed his required task.

#11 elmo_mum

Posted 27 February 2020 - 12:48 PM

im in the frozen camp - let it go

he buzzed and left the parcel as required

it is not in his job description to carry stuff passed the fronnt door/gate

if it was THAT heavy - imagine work cover claims if he did this at every delivery

i have had many parcels not delivered, even though i was home - sometimes they left a card, most times it was just an email/tracking email that it was attempted delivery

yes it was $$$ but it wasnt stolen....

#12 seayork2002

Posted 27 February 2020 - 12:52 PM

Plus there job is to deliver it could be a $5 toy or a box of diamond rings, the person did their job regardless of whether toy paid a lot

so unless you paid for hand to hand delivery (yes not sure it is called that but I have seen it as an option to pay once years ago) then you got what you paid for

#13 hills mum bec

Posted 27 February 2020 - 12:54 PM

Another one in the "let it go" camp.  You got your parcel in the end.  He had most likely left his van running and couldn't be too far away from it.

Also, why did you have to wake up your DD?

#14 Tokra

Posted 27 February 2020 - 12:55 PM

View PostRiotproof, on 27 February 2020 - 12:01 PM, said:

How old is your daughter? I don’t really understand why you couldn’t let him in to deliver it to your front door.

Isn't that what she tried to do, but he refused?

#15 justbreath

Posted 27 February 2020 - 01:06 PM

I don’t think it is part of a delivery drivers job to bring an item inside the door/gate (? through some kind of entry hall area), across a courtyard and then to a front door. That would be like me asking the delivery driver to drag something out to my shed. That’s isn’t the job. I think it would also raise all sorts of risks and insurance issues as he has then come onto/into private property.

#16 Riotproof

Posted 27 February 2020 - 01:09 PM

View PostTokra, on 27 February 2020 - 12:55 PM, said:

Isn't that what she tried to do, but he refused?

Not clear, sorry, I meant she should meet him at the lobby door.

#17 Ho Ho No

Posted 27 February 2020 - 01:15 PM

I think he should have brought it to your door. Not the complex door.

#18 Lady Gray

Posted 27 February 2020 - 01:15 PM

View PostRiotproof, on 27 February 2020 - 12:01 PM, said:

She's 3 and that's what I did!  Buzzed him and said to please come through.  He said no and just left the box inside the building front door.

She's sick, so I was worried she'd start throwing up again or wake up and be disorientated.

#19 Lady Gray

Posted 27 February 2020 - 01:17 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys, I won't make a complaint.  I just thought it was rude him him to dump the box and ignore me when I ask him to bring it through.

#20 wallofdodo

Posted 27 February 2020 - 01:21 PM

Hope your daughter gets better soon

#21 Team Awesome

Posted 27 February 2020 - 01:25 PM

I think I’d check the website you bought from for any mention about this and if as I suspect not then contact the company you purchased from so they are aware the courier they use aren’t able to deliver to unit/apartment buildings only the front lobby.

I would imagine that there are many people who order medical items who have mobility issues or are caring for those with mobility issues and cannot just drop what they are doing and need it to be delivered to their actual door rather than the building door. So the company may think they are being helpful with expediated delivery when they are in fact impacting on the clients they are trying to hel.

I myself have chronic back issues if it’s heavy it gets brought to the door and kind of pushed to the side until someone stronger can help me move it.

One delivery place requested availability for someone strong to be there so I contacted them to check f I could delay it, ordered and made arrangements for delivery when I knew DH would be home. As he is frequently away it is and can be quite difficult for larger deliveries.

#22 Lady Gray

Posted 27 February 2020 - 01:27 PM

View PostTeam Awesome, on 27 February 2020 - 01:25 PM, said:

I think I’d check the website you bought from for any mention about this and if as I suspect not then contact the company you purchased from so they are aware the courier they use aren’t able to deliver to unit/apartment buildings only the front lobby.

I would imagine that there are many people who order medical items who have mobility issues or are caring for those with mobility issues and cannot just drop what they are doing and need it to be delivered to their actual door rather than the building door. So the company may think they are being helpful with expediated delivery when they are in fact impacting on the clients they are trying to hel.

I myself have chronic back issues if it’s heavy it gets brought to the door and kind of pushed to the side until someone stronger can help me move it.

One delivery place requested availability for someone strong to be there so I contacted them to check f I could delay it, ordered and made arrangements for delivery when I knew DH would be home. As he is frequently away it is and can be quite difficult for larger deliveries.

Totally agree, this was my other concern but I wasn't sure if it was fair to mention it.

#23 Yippee-Ki-Yay

Posted 27 February 2020 - 01:41 PM

My only thought was where would your postie drop off parcels? If they would usually deliver to your door then I would think its a reasonable expectation that couriers do the same. I dont think its worth a complaint either way. As an aside, that sounds very kind of you to be so considerate of your family member, and I hope your DD is feeling better soon.

#24 SallyJay

Posted 27 February 2020 - 01:42 PM

Not your fault but the fact is that couriers get paid about $5 to deliver a parcel so to make a decent day's pay they can't be hand delivering things up stairs, through back doors or gardens or whatever and they often have to double park illegally etc. Its a sh*t job and I understand your frustration but I think they did all that was required of them.

#25 Tokra

Posted 27 February 2020 - 01:44 PM

View PostRiotproof, on 27 February 2020 - 01:09 PM, said:

Not clear, sorry, I meant she should meet him at the lobby door.

Ohhh got ya!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.