Food safety experts, I have a question.

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 amaza

Posted 26 February 2020 - 01:07 PM

Is it ok to reheat eggs?

I have recently starting making shakshuka on occasion for dinner but I always question whether I can reheat the dish the next day for lunch due to the eggs in it.

My quick Google searches always say no, don't do it, eggs release toxins when they are heated over and over and you'll get sick but then I get stuck on the "over and over" part because the few sites I've read just say don't do it at all and don't say how many times over is safe, if at all. A bit of a further search will find that people reheat eggs lots and if I think about it I quite like a reheated quiche but the eggs in shakshuka aren't cooked the same way.

At the moment I'm reheating it all but kind of just eating around the eggs but that kind of defeats the purpose of avoiding the toxins because of course the dish will have egg through it so eating around it wouldn't avoid poisoning.

I am very strict on food safety and hygiene, too strict probably (I have emetophobia so I do anything to avoid sickness) so always reheat food to piping hot and never eat leftovers more than 24 hours after the original cooking of the meal. I would never reheat a meal twice so the "over and over" part of Google doesn't apply here.

So what do you think? Is it ok to reheat egg dishes?

#2 spr_maiden

Posted 26 February 2020 - 01:16 PM

I would reheat quiche or a something that might have egg mixed in as 1 ingredient.
A boiled or fried/poached egg - no reheat.
Shakshuka - I'd make smaller serving size for what I'm eating.  Then when ready to eat remainder, I'd put mix in pan and crack a fresh egg in to cook each time.

Disclaimer ed. I'm not a food safety expert.

Edited by spr_maiden, 26 February 2020 - 01:16 PM.

#3 Let-it-go

Posted 26 February 2020 - 01:28 PM

Yes, you can reheat cooked eggs once.  The eggs in breakfast dishes like Subway (and I’d always assumed McDonalds but I’ve never worked there) are reheated as they are cooked and delivered frozen.  If you look in cabinets of cafes they often have breakfast muffins, rolls, wraps, burritos etc.  The egg is already cooked and then they would reheat.  Not the nicest way to eat egg but not a food safety issue.

I’ve worked in food businesses with quiche, frittata and it was never brought to my notice as being a food safety issue assuming it was thawed correctly, reheated correctly and to the right temperature.  We had regular checks by food safety officers from the council.

Edited by Let-it-go, 26 February 2020 - 01:46 PM.

#4 BECZ

Posted 26 February 2020 - 03:57 PM

Well, I learnt something today!

#5 amaza

Posted 26 February 2020 - 07:58 PM

Well thank you both. I think the idea of doing the egg part of the shakshuka is much more appealing to me than reheating the eggs already in there so will start doing that from now on. It's nice to know I'm not going to poison myself if it's reheated once though.

#6 WaitForMe

Posted 26 February 2020 - 08:07 PM

I'd imagine with a runny yolk it would go off sooner than eggs cooked through.

Cafes that reheat say, an egg and bacon roll, where the yolk is still a bit runny, I always assumed they made up the rolls first thing in the morning so they aren't that old. Maybe I'm wrong though.

I have no idea how long they would keep though, just that its probably a shorter time than a hard yolk.

#7 amaza

Posted 26 February 2020 - 08:14 PM

View PostWaitForMe, on 26 February 2020 - 08:07 PM, said:

I'd imagine with a runny yolk it would go off sooner than eggs cooked through.

Cafes that reheat say, an egg and bacon roll, where the yolk is still a bit runny, I always assumed they made up the rolls first thing in the morning so they aren't that old. Maybe I'm wrong though.

I have no idea how long they would keep though, just that its probably a shorter time than a hard yolk.

I don't like runny eggs, even in shakshuka. I know how terrible that makes me and I don't really deserve to be eating it but that food safety phobia thing really did do a thing on me lol.

Edited to say actually that's a lie. I do like them runny, I just rarely eat them that way.

Edited by amaza, 26 February 2020 - 08:15 PM.

#8 Soontobegran

Posted 26 February 2020 - 08:15 PM

Most hospitals have cook/chill food which is cooked off site and frozen before transport.
They are then put into giant defrosting/heating machines at the hospital and handed out to the patients.
There are eggs included so as PP said.......it must be safe.

#9 #YKG

Posted 26 February 2020 - 08:32 PM

If you couldn’t quiche wouldn’t be sold or well anything with egg products wouldn’t be.

I reheat eggs all the time. I make breakfast at night which is egg, bacon, avocado and sweet potato. I zap it in the microwave making sure it’s hot before I eat it. 18 months after stating to do that I’m still alive, a life time of eating quiche and frittata hasn’t impacted me. Just make sure to reheat to hot.

Edited by #YKG, 26 February 2020 - 08:35 PM.

#10 tothebeach

Posted 26 February 2020 - 08:35 PM

I know that cabin attendants are not out the back making big pans of scrambled eggs for all the passengers so they must reheat them.

#11 BECZ

Posted 26 February 2020 - 08:59 PM

I remember seeing a doc/show about a top notch Sydney hotel and they par cooked their poached eggs the night before and they were reheated the next morning.  This surprised me, but not because I knew that reheating eggs was bad.  Just surprised that they weren’t cooked fresh there and then!

#12 amaza

Posted 26 February 2020 - 09:04 PM

I feel better now. It's so obvious when it's pointed out but I could only think of quiche when I posted the topic lol.

#13 IamOzgirl

Posted 26 February 2020 - 09:51 PM

View PostSoontobegran, on 26 February 2020 - 08:15 PM, said:

Most hospitals have cook/chill food which is cooked off site and frozen before transport.
They are then put into giant defrosting/heating machines at the hospital and handed out to the patients.
There are eggs included so as PP said.......it must be safe.

Yep this!

PP, Macca's cooks egg fresh.

But hospitals and planes pre cook and reheat.

I like warm hard boiled eggs - when I pre cook them I reheat them slightly to warm.

Not an expert but have had to study it at TAFE.

#14 #YKG

Posted 26 February 2020 - 10:09 PM

The hospital I work at doesn’t pre cook patient meals. All meals for patients are made on site daily, there are 2 kitchens, one that’s for patient meals and one for the cafes. They start at 3/4am and make all meals for the day and gone by 3pm I think. But they do reheat the dinner meals in the giant warmer.

#15 Soontobegran

Posted 27 February 2020 - 07:45 AM

View Post#YKG, on 26 February 2020 - 10:09 PM, said:

The hospital I work at doesn’t pre cook patient meals. All meals for patients are made on site daily, there are 2 kitchens, one that’s for patient meals and one for the cafes. They start at 3/4am and make all meals for the day and gone by 3pm I think. But they do reheat the dinner meals in the giant warmer.

If it is in Melbourne it must be one of the few left sadly.
It doesn't impact most patients who are there for a day or two but after weeks or months it is hideous.

Our place ( large tertiary) started outsourcing meals in 1996 and every other hospital I have been in including private hospitals have small kitchens to make sandwiches fresh daily and prepare special diets (Our place even replaced toast with bread until the patients revolted.) and ship in cooked meals.
I was recently in a new private place, only 200 beds and thought I might be in luck but not to be.

PS...Can you let me know where it is? I may request it in the future :)
The beef lasagne served was actually like one of those pre cooked and frozen numbers from the supermarket. It was embarrassing to see the patient's reactions.

Edited by Soontobegran, 27 February 2020 - 08:03 AM.

#16 Greatmum

Posted 27 February 2020 - 08:19 AM

I work in the food industry and most of the big hotels buy in pre cooked/made food. I was very surprised just assumed these fancy hotels/restaurants would prepare everything fresh.

#17 Soontobegran

Posted 27 February 2020 - 08:43 AM

View PostGreatmum, on 27 February 2020 - 08:19 AM, said:

I work in the food industry and most of the big hotels buy in pre cooked/made food. I was very surprised just assumed these fancy hotels/restaurants would prepare everything fresh.

I am sure that most of the guests would be surprised too, especially when they are paying top dollar.

#18 Hypnic Jerk

Posted 27 February 2020 - 09:41 AM

I'm an EHO
Go for it.
Provided they've been handled properly the first time around.

And tell me what shakshuka is.  Yes I know I could google it but where's the fun in that.

I'd be more concerned about the eggs going rubbery than the food safety aspect with the above disclaimer.

#19 Anonforthistime

Posted 27 February 2020 - 11:51 AM

STBG,  Cabrini Malvern still have an on-site kitchen.  I think Epworth might too. Waverley private on the other hand, the food was reheated and disgusting. (Sadly I’ve had quite a few hospital visits of late)

#20 Soontobegran

Posted 27 February 2020 - 11:56 AM

View PostAnonforthistime, on 27 February 2020 - 11:51 AM, said:

STBG,  Cabrini Malvern still have an on-site kitchen.  I think Epworth might too. Waverley private on the other hand, the food was reheated and disgusting. (Sadly I’ve had quite a few hospital visits of late)

Epworth definitely don't. I have been in 3 of their facilities in the last couple of years and it has sadly fallen victim.

I am glad Cabrini still do. I would say it is due to the fact they are not owned by one of the usual money grabbing healthcare providers.

eta..they do have kitchens ...just not to cook the hot meals or desserts.
The days of the afternoon tea trolley with kitchen made cakes has long gone :(

It is actually a huge problem nutritionally.

Edited by Soontobegran, 27 February 2020 - 11:59 AM.

#21 IamOzgirl

Posted 27 February 2020 - 11:59 AM

A day surgery I was at on Friday handed out subway for our meal!

The poor people who had chicken schnitzel subway for brunch!

#22 rosie28

Posted 27 February 2020 - 12:02 PM

View PostSoontobegran, on 27 February 2020 - 11:56 AM, said:

Epworth definitely don't. I have been in 3 of their facilities in the last couple of years and it has sadly fallen victim.

I am glad Cabrini still do. I would say it is due to the fact they are not owned by one of the usual money grabbing healthcare providers.

eta..they do have kitchens ...just not to cook the hot meals or desserts.
The days of the afternoon tea trolley with kitchen made cakes has long gone :(

It is actually a huge problem nutritionally.

St Vincents has a service like room service- huge menu and you call and order when you like and it’s delivered within 45 minutes. Some stuff could be reheated but there’s things like wedges which were very fresh. They could accommodate changes to the menu items too so they must have something on site or close. I found the menu pretty good, veggies nice and fresh etc.

#23 amaza

Posted 27 February 2020 - 12:06 PM

View PostHypnic Jerk, on 27 February 2020 - 09:41 AM, said:

I'm an EHO
Go for it.
Provided they've been handled properly the first time around.

And tell me what shakshuka is.  Yes I know I could google it but where's the fun in that.

I'd be more concerned about the eggs going rubbery than the food safety aspect with the above disclaimer.

Thank you. The eggs do go a bit rubbery which means the idea to make it without egg and then crack a fresh egg into individual portions when reheating is a great idea.

Shakshuka is tradtionally a middle eastern breakfast food (I think) made of eggs baked into a spicy tomato type sauce. We make it with capsicum, eggplant, onion, garlic, tomato, a whole load of different spices like cumin, cayenne pepper etc. Depending on how we feel we make it with minced beef or just leave it vegetarian.

I'm sure we don't make it in the traditional way but it is so delicious, everyone should try it.

#24 Hypnic Jerk

Posted 27 February 2020 - 12:38 PM

Sounds like the sort of thing that would be best fresh.
I've done a mexican version of what you describe and that I wouldn't reheat, but I'd make up the tomato/bean base then crack the egg into it.

That said, I'm only ever making one.

#25 Holidayromp

Posted 27 February 2020 - 01:07 PM

Recipe please op?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.