St Kevin’s College - Four Corners story (trigger warning)

• Please log in to reply
354 replies to this topic

#1 Lunafreya

Posted 17 February 2020 - 07:58 AM

https://abc.net.au/n...victim/11957510

Anyone watching this tonight? The culture at this school just looks toxic. And it’s the same school the victims of Pell went to.

It’s disgusting how these boys were treated.

#2 Murderino

Posted 17 February 2020 - 08:55 AM

Any parent who continues to send their child to St Kevins is sending a very clear message about their principles and priorities.

#3 aquarium2

Posted 17 February 2020 - 08:56 AM

I'll be watching.

#4 MerryMadrigalMadge

Posted 17 February 2020 - 09:03 AM

I'll watch it, my brothers all went there and we've discussed their experience (in the late 80's/90's).

DD is at a feeder primary to St Kevin's and it's our community's school of choice for boys. I know so many boys and their families who started with DD in prep and have left early to start in Yr 3, 4 and 5 - lovely and interesting boys, all having a great time as far as I hear.

#5 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 17 February 2020 - 09:59 AM

yes, we will watch with interest. we have good friends with a son there....tbh he’s a bit arrogant and hyper focussed on sport and his appearance, but, that could just be a teenage thing. definitely looks to be a toxic culture.

#6 Claudia Jean

Posted 17 February 2020 - 11:32 AM

Edited by Claudia Jean, 20 February 2020 - 08:30 AM.

#7 AnythingGoes

Posted 17 February 2020 - 12:11 PM

<p>That is absolutely appalling - that these things are still going on - talking 5 years ago and the current headmaster.

I can't imagine how anyone with a child there could be satisfied with anything less than sweeping changes in the leadership team after seeing this.

Just looked at the Headmasters Welcome on St Kevin' s webpage: "A group of students recently asked me to give them a verbal snapshot of who we are. My reply was a good exercise in articulating briefly what we are about. First and foremost, St Kevin’s is a Catholic school – we are part of the Church in every sense"

So guess he is just following the Church's tradition of supporting the perpetrator.

Edited by AnythingGoes, 17 February 2020 - 12:12 PM.

#8 Kreme

Posted 17 February 2020 - 12:21 PM

This story has nothing to do with whether nice boys go to St Kevin’s. This is about a school supporting a paedophile instead of his victim. The current headmaster did this, and he did it while the Royal Commission was still running. That man should be sacked.

The Catholic Church wields its greatest power in our education system. Parents see a way to get a prestigious education at a cheaper rate than the other elite schools. And if silence, compliance and looking the other way is the price, they happily pay it.

#9 got my tinsel on

Posted 17 February 2020 - 12:30 PM

Same old, same old, business as usual.

Parents will continue to throw their money support to the schools.

Parishioners will continue to throw their money and support to the church.

Nothing will change as long as people keep turning up and paying their money.   And they will, all the while tut tutting and saying isn't it terrible, what can be done.

You could leave in droves, that's what you can do.  You can protest loudly, in public.

But they won't.  They'll just keep throwing money at the schools and churches and turn up just like they always have.

#10 Ozquoll

Posted 17 February 2020 - 12:44 PM

I always feel suspicious that adults defending the behaviour of paedophiles must have inclinations that way themselves. That teacher saying "it depends on context" when asked if it was appropriate to send students emails signed off with "I love you" or "xxxx"!!!  WTAF 😵

#11 purplekitty

Posted 17 February 2020 - 12:51 PM

There's not much to say is there.

The abuse and cover-ups continue, despite public awareness and the RC.

I hope everyone who can sues them into oblivion because neither the Catholic Church,or Catholics themselves, are able to overcome the rot in the Church.

Loyalty and trust must not blindly be to an institution.

Many people must have known about this abuse and stood by while the school failed to protect and support a young boy who was owed their care.
Morally,they are bankrupt.

#12 Amica

Posted 17 February 2020 - 06:47 PM

Does anyone know if they are aware if this Kehoe worked in a Brisbane Catholic high school early 90s.

Please don't quote.

#13 ipsee

Posted 17 February 2020 - 08:14 PM

Why did the victim go back to that school after the event?

#14 Romeo Void

Posted 17 February 2020 - 08:25 PM

View Postipsee, on 17 February 2020 - 08:14 PM, said:

Why did the victim go back to that school after the event?
I wonder if the parents thought they were going to get more support than they did?  It sounded like the dawning of the idea that they weren't going to get any help didn't crystallise till the call from the headmaster asking about the blazers.

#15 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 17 February 2020 - 08:35 PM

god that chant at the beginning. (watching on catch up) - totally vile. utterly vile. i live opposite a state high school - i’ve heard some choice stuff, swearing of course. but nothing - NOTHING - like that.

#16 ipsee

Posted 17 February 2020 - 09:04 PM

It is sad that people pay extra to keep their kids out of public schools and put them in these schools that turn out to be worse.

#17 Riotproof

Posted 17 February 2020 - 10:26 PM

View Postipsee, on 17 February 2020 - 09:04 PM, said:

It is sad that people pay extra to keep their kids out of public schools and put them in these schools that turn out to be worse.
Of all the things to say.

it is horrible that people groom and abuse children. It is horrible that that institution’s hide it and support the abusers. It is beyond horrible that these children are broken.

#18 gruidae

Posted 17 February 2020 - 10:27 PM

Wow....boys intimidating grils and women on public transport and the Pell abuse really was just the tip of the iceberg wasn't it?

Coaches abusing boys, abusers bragging about boys committing suicide, teachers sexually harassing other teachers, all in the last couple of years. The principal and of course the lovely Archbishop supporting yet more paedophiles.The police should have a good hard look at Archbishop Brennan, the principal and that QC Richter who love beating up on victims. As far as I'm concerned, they look seriously implicated as being supportive.

Now I know why the Archbishop associated with this school is all up in the media about only wanting to employ people with a Catholic sexual ethic. It's becoming clearer and clearer what a Catholic sexual ethic is. This isn't in the big bad distant past. This is current and ongoing.

If secular people worked there, they wouldn't exactly fit in with the whole "Our churches and schools are paedophile rings, not only in the past but something we intend to continue in an ongoing way. You need to fit in with school culture of cover ups and enabling. If your sexual orientation isn't an attraction to minors, we need you to shut up about your beliefs because we can't have our boys thinking that abuse isn't normal as that is against Catholic morals."

Honestly - I threw a cushion at the principal while watching this. Then I threw the other one at that utter disgrace of a mother who sent her child BACK there to be gaslit and retraumatised, just so she could have the school name on his leaving certificate. What the hell do they put in the water in Toorak? Does prestige really matter more to those people than their own kids?

#19 JRA

Posted 17 February 2020 - 10:40 PM

i saw parts of it, and horror doesnt cover it, but sadly, it doesnt surprise me one bit. The school and the catholic church have no right to exist.

Did the mother say why the boy went back there after what he went through. I saw the trauma it was causing but did not hear why he went back.

#20 Murderino

Posted 17 February 2020 - 11:01 PM

Like you gruidae I can’t understand why Paris (or his twin) continued on at that school. Principles and priorities are sorely misguided.

Paris is pretty amazing though - his strength.

The ex athletics club committee member said at the end the organisation needs to return to its fundamental values - again gruidae I think you’re right and they are very much sticking to their fundamental values.

#21 lumack

Posted 17 February 2020 - 11:02 PM

I too am curious as to why the child returned.  Maybe he wanted to?

If my children attended that school they would be pulled out tomorrow. When we were talking high schools for our eldest, we were told by various people to NOT send him there under any circumstances whatsoever.  These were people in the education system and in the psychological sector.  I didn't query it as it was never on our radar- we didnt want a catholic education. But now i wonder if they knew, or had heard rumours.

The cover up is disgusting.

#22 gruidae

Posted 17 February 2020 - 11:08 PM

View PostJRA, on 17 February 2020 - 10:40 PM, said:

Did the mother say why the boy went back there after what he went through. I saw the trauma it was causing but did not hear why he went back.
She didn't say why. All I know is she saw what her child went through, she saw her child at age 15 put on the stand by QC Richter (Pell's defence) for two whole days, she saw the school principal hand up a glowing character reference to the bench in court in support of the abuser. The same principal who supported the abuser over her child was still running the school.

I cannot fathom why she sent him back there with that sort of evidence in front of her other than weighting the networking value of the school over her own child's mental health. He basically broke down after school and has had a lengthy hospitalisation, so clearly that was a gross miscalulation. So now she is speaking out - after he is broken. I cannot understand how she could have sent him back there with that man still in charge when she'd witnessed in a courtroom him supporting the abuser over her son.

Actually, I cannot understand any parent who leaves their child enrolled there after tomorrow, unless all concerned are sacked and replaced. Though if they come from Brennan's parish, even then it would be putting their child at risk. There are just too many abusers lurking in that parish.

#23 PuddingPlease

Posted 17 February 2020 - 11:28 PM

I think given that that decision is not explained at all in the report it might be better to take a breath on this one and assume that the reasons were private.

There are a range of possible explanations for the decision and assuming the worst (and then laying all the blame at the feet of his mother) seems very unkind given what the family has been through.

The report did mention a brief stint at another school which would suggest that there was a process involved, in any case none of this justifies what the school did next and I think that is probably the thing to focus on.

#24 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 18 February 2020 - 05:50 AM

true Puddimg, but it does beg the question - how bad does it have to get, literally - what would they have to have done to your son, to make you leave?

that poor boy.

maybe it’s hard once your child is established at a school, formed a friendship base - etc, i wonder though if this gives new parents any pause? or parents considering the school - from the very trivial (like, wtaf is with that blazer? seriously, it’s hideous) to the very serious fact that the school has a toxic culture, teachers groomed students and the headmaster provided a reference for the groomer. pretty easy decision i would have thought - don’t send your kid there.

#25 Lunafreya

Posted 18 February 2020 - 05:58 AM

I’m curious as to what the school’s response to this will be

30 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 30 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.