Harvey Norman refund

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 *melrose*

Posted 15 February 2020 - 06:58 PM

Hi all, had a faulty vacuum cleaner took it back to harvey norman yesterday and they gave me a refund. She put my card in the eftpos machine (she didn't tap the card) and I put my pin in and she gave me a receipt. Now I still don't have those funds in my bank account. I throught the transaction goes through right away if you don't tap as I have never waited for money to clear with a refund if card was inserted. Correct me if I wrong please. Has anyone else had this happen to them before? Should I be calling the store?

Edited by *melrose*, 15 February 2020 - 07:00 PM.

#2 rosie28

Posted 15 February 2020 - 07:13 PM

Not sure about HN, but I’ve had a refund from Bunnings take a couple of days to come through. I’d give it until Monday and then chase it up.

#3 #YKG

Posted 15 February 2020 - 07:14 PM

I got a refund same way from Target, it took 7 days to show up. Harvey Norman website says 3 days.

It’s not uncommon for the delay, not sure why doesn’t go back immediately but it doesn’t.

#4 Cherubs

Posted 15 February 2020 - 07:32 PM

I took a fan back to Bunnings recently, the refund was immediate.

#5 Jingleflea

Posted 15 February 2020 - 07:41 PM

But did you check your balance right away Cherubs?
Sometimes the bank 'holds' the funds so it says it's gone in, but you can't access that amount till it clears.

#6 born.a.girl

Posted 15 February 2020 - 07:45 PM

Refunds seem to generally take longer than the debits.

A couple of times I've had a payment reversed on the spot, a second one processed and only the two debits appeared for the first few days, then the credit.

Give it a few more days.

#7 Mollyksy

Posted 15 February 2020 - 07:50 PM

Melrose, check with your bank as they can see if anything is pending that you can't see in your own balance or logging into your account online. I have had it take various lengths of time. No rhyme or reason. Seems to depend on how their own internal processes do it.

Good on you for getting a refund! A while back I had a bad experience at domayne. So while they were arguing and asking different managers I was going up and down the lengthy line that was forming and advising everyone on their rights!

Or maybe it is just me?! Another store tried to argue that an electric toothbrush that had a faulty charger (presumably, it had never charged) was not a major fault! I ended up finally with my money but only because I knew my rights.

#8 JustBeige

Posted 15 February 2020 - 07:50 PM

I had the same thing with Bunnings. its because of the way they put it through.  She chose 'chq' instead of savings and it does the Eftpos 2-3 working days thing.  Like when you tap instead of swiping/pin.

I have learnt now and I make them cancel it and do it to 'savings' if they refund to my card. They do not like it at all so Im assuming it has something to do with them hanging on to the funds for a couple more days

#9 *melrose*

Posted 15 February 2020 - 08:10 PM

OK will give it till Monday then I will call my bank. I'm thinking she press check instead of savings. I wish she would of just let me put my own card in. I'm without a vacuum cleaner now till money clears.

#10 #YKG

Posted 15 February 2020 - 08:39 PM

Just beige I only have a savings account and takes a few days for refunds direct back to my card. I always press savings. You can’t do check on Savings, it’ll bounce back as an error on the machine.

Edited by #YKG, 15 February 2020 - 08:40 PM.

#11 Mumsyto2

Posted 15 February 2020 - 08:43 PM

I’ve had this at Bunnings and the chemist a few times (chemist regularly bills me incorrectly for meds). Generally takes around 3 working days for refunds to appear in my account.

Edited by Mumsyto2, 15 February 2020 - 09:37 PM.

#12 SummerStar

Posted 15 February 2020 - 08:45 PM

If they hit credit account then it will take a few business days. If they hit savings it's instant. They likely hit credit, I'd expect it back within a few days depending on your bank. Way to early to be panicking yet.

#13 Froyohoho

Posted 15 February 2020 - 09:02 PM

I'd wait until they'd at least had a bank business day to process the refund.

Edited by Froyohoho, 15 February 2020 - 09:02 PM.

#14 Charli73

Posted 15 February 2020 - 09:02 PM

I’ve had returns on credit card take up to a week, as long as you have the receipt I wouldn’t worry.

#15 Tinky Winky Woo

Posted 15 February 2020 - 09:05 PM

Normally a refund takes 5 - 7 business days, especially over a weekend.

#16 Jingleflea

Posted 15 February 2020 - 09:38 PM

I worked once with a woman (when EFTPOS was still quite new, plus she was a bit dim) who was supposed to refund a sale, but ended up selling the item 3 times, before someone took over and did it correctly!

She kept hitting 'sale' instead of 'refund'.

I'm still not sure 20 years later if the poor customer got her refund properly!

Slightly off topic I know.

#17 *melrose*

Posted 15 February 2020 - 09:50 PM

OK will wait it out.

#18 IamtheMumma

Posted 15 February 2020 - 09:56 PM

I think its wonderful you got a refund from them. I stopped shopping with them after their refund policy was a store credit. This was eons ago.

#19 Cherubs

Posted 15 February 2020 - 10:33 PM

Yes it was in my bank immediately,  I used the credited funds to buy a new fan at Harvey Norman 20 minutes later..

Edited by Cherubs, 15 February 2020 - 10:49 PM.

#20 joeyinthesky

Posted 16 February 2020 - 07:39 AM

I believe it depends on whether your bank is the same as the merchant’s bank - if it is, it will be in your account immediately. If not, it can take days. We advise customers that it could be up to 3 working days to receive the funds, or longer if it’s to a credit card.

#21 nom_de_plume

Posted 16 February 2020 - 08:49 AM

I find it depends on whether you’re using a cheque, savings or credit account. Purchases and refunds on savings are usually same day, whereas when using cheque or credit (including Visa debit or similar, which is the default when you tap and go) they can take a day or two to settle, especially over the weekend.

#22 *melrose*

Posted 18 February 2020 - 04:43 PM

Still not in my account. I phoned harvey norman yesterday and the guy was very rude and said 3 working days.I phoned my bank yesterday and the lady on the phone said she can't see any money coming in on hold. I will never shop there again, I should have been the one that put my card in and press savings 🙄but no the lady at the desk had to take charge and rip my card out of my hands😡

#23 Backtoschoolchef

Posted 18 February 2020 - 05:20 PM

View PostIamtheMumma, on 15 February 2020 - 09:56 PM, said:

I think its wonderful you got a refund from them. I stopped shopping with them after their refund policy was a store credit. This was eons ago.

If it was considered a major fault the ACC wont stand for that these days.

ETA - as SHOULD be the case!!!

Edited by Backtoschoolchef, 18 February 2020 - 05:20 PM.

#24 Mumsyto2

Posted 18 February 2020 - 06:04 PM

It is 3 business days. So if this occurred Friday then it can take Friday, Monday and Tuesday to be processed to your bank. Means it should be available to you Wednesday? I think some banks transfer to others quickly and some slowly so probably depends on who the business banks with. I wouldn’t bother checking my account until Wed in the situation you describe.

ETA- pretty sure I’ve had to wait 3 full days for Bunnings refunds also. It’s not specific to Harvey Norman.I know it’s not uncommon with refunds I have received and gosh knows it never ever comes in before that with our chemist (don’t even ask, had to remove our scripts from them as they seem to dispense automatically on due date so system puts a charge on then when you go and request it they re-dispense and you find you have been charged twice even though you have only received it once and some of the private scripts are well over $100).

Edited by Mumsyto2, 18 February 2020 - 06:11 PM.

#25 SummerStar

Posted 18 February 2020 - 06:14 PM

Often for a credit refund they usually quote 3-5 business days. It can vary by the bank. And the bank won't see it until it comes back. I'd not be stressing until Friday at the earliest. It's frustrating but neither Harvey Norman or the bank can make it faster. In this day and age it should be faster but it isn't.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.