Uber or taxi

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 My4beautifulboys

Posted 15 February 2020 - 06:08 PM

We live rurally and often make the trip to the city. This time when we go will be by air travel, so need to get to our hotel via other transport. Just curious to know do you choose to travel by taxi or Uber?

#2 ckmelb

Posted 15 February 2020 - 06:23 PM

I pretty much always catch an uber. It's convenient, generally the service is much better (always exceptions) and when I'm finished the ride I can just jump out (instead of having to organise to pay while sorting out my luggage). And if I have an issue or leave something it's traceable.

Having said that if your kids need boosters or car seats and you aren't bringing them then I think legally it must be a taxi

Edited by ckmelb, 15 February 2020 - 06:24 PM.

#3 My4beautifulboys

Posted 15 February 2020 - 06:33 PM

Eta; my Ds is 6 years of age and he’ll be with me. Does he legally still need a booster seat until the age of 7? So does that mean we’d be better using a taxi, rather than an Uber. Can you request a booster seat for a Uber or not?

#4 JoanJett

Posted 15 February 2020 - 06:38 PM

I had recent difficulties with Uber travelling with kids when in another Australian city.  Neither child needs boosters by age/height/weight (9 and 11, don't have them at home), but one driver refused to take us when he showed up and another complained bitterly.  I don't know if there's been a crackdown?  

In most states, children under 7 need a child restraint, and as per PP, while taxis are exempt, Ubers aren't.

Uber X service allows you to request a vehicle with a car seat, but there's a surcharge and usually the availability is more limited, so you're more prone to surge pricing.

#5 Paddlepop

Posted 15 February 2020 - 06:42 PM

What state will you be in? I think the rules about child restraints in taxis varies from state to state. In Queensland taxis are exempt from children needing to be in child restraints. They do need the seat belt around them though.

#6 My4beautifulboys

Posted 15 February 2020 - 06:47 PM

Thanks, that’s interesting to know. I think the laws do vary in each state. We’re in W.a

#7 Froyohoho

Posted 15 February 2020 - 07:44 PM

Didi if you can. Just as good- if not better- than Uber and much cheaper.

#8 Jamelex

Posted 15 February 2020 - 08:01 PM

Australia wide, children need to be in at least a booster until they turn 7. This includes ubers. Laws regarding children in taxis vary per state but generally children are permitted to travel without a booster as taxis are classified as public transport.
Would you be able to take a folding booster for your son?

#9 eve13

Posted 15 February 2020 - 08:28 PM

Interestingly, I looked this up last week: in QLD and I think WA, uber etc are treated like taxis.. no car seats needed: see. https://www.racq.com...nts-and-the-law

#10 lizzzard

Posted 16 February 2020 - 09:10 AM

Taxi. I refuse to use Uber as I detest their unethical business model. I know I’m in a minority but just putting it out there.

Edited by lizzzard, 16 February 2020 - 10:03 AM.

#11 Lunafreya

Posted 16 February 2020 - 09:15 AM

Uber unless I’m with DS then it’s taxis

#12 dadwasathome

Posted 16 February 2020 - 10:15 AM

We tend to be taxi from airports (although book taxi to airport from home) and Uber everywhere else.

I understand concerns about the Uber business model, but also have little sympathy for taxis, at least in Sydney.

#13 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 16 February 2020 - 10:22 AM

i catch taxis all the time (sydney) - i don’t have an uber account. dh prefers uber, although last time we all took one to the airport the uber driver was late so DH may black list them.

#14 2bundles

Posted 16 February 2020 - 10:25 AM

How long are you going for?  Long term parking near the airport is often cheaper.

#15 can'tstayaway

Posted 16 February 2020 - 11:14 AM

I use a car service for airport transfers. It costs a little more than an Uber but the driver meets you in the terminal, helps with luggage, can have car seats ready and you’re not the one waiting around after a flight.

#16 Chocolate Addict

Posted 16 February 2020 - 11:18 AM

View Post2bundles, on 16 February 2020 - 10:25 AM, said:

How long are you going for?  Long term parking near the airport is often cheaper.
She is talking about from the airport to the hotel, not to the airport from home. :)

I use Uber. I know you can request a car seat with the uber x, no clue on costs though.

I prefer Uber because it is cheaper, cleaner and less smelly than taxi's. I have never had a problem. I know a lot of people black list if for many reasons but if I did that to everything I have a problem with I would never go anywhere or eat anything, have furniture etc lol

#17 SeaPrincess

Posted 16 February 2020 - 11:20 AM

Are you talking about Perth domestic airport? DH flies for work. He takes an Uber to the airport, but it’s much easier and less walking to grab a cab when leaving the airport.

#18 Let-it-go

Posted 16 February 2020 - 11:24 AM

I always use Uber nowadays.  When DS still needed a booster, we just always travelled with a folding seat and used that in the taxi or Uber.   It’s free to checkin.

#19 SummerStar

Posted 16 February 2020 - 11:45 AM

Taxis for us. They're more reliable at turning up on time and you don't get "rated" and refused a ride for said ratings that aren't always fair.

Not going to impress a driver for a good rating when I'm paying them to do a job. So taxis it is. I'll pay the extra to be guaranteed the ride. We very rarely use them though, going to the airport or home from the city at night would be all so the fare is a decent one.

#20 Coffeegirl

Posted 16 February 2020 - 12:29 PM

Depends on the airport I am flying into (and I don’t have young children)

I Uber to Sydney airport, but rarely catch one out as its painful at times.  You have to walk to a seperate areas and wait for the Uber to come around the airport and get in.  

If their is no queue for taxis, then it’s faster to grab one of them.   Even though I personally have not had a decent taxi experience in Sydney in over 5 years.   They are always dirty and often smell of BO or cigarette smoke.  The drivers type the destination into their GPS while driving and trying to navigate the traffic around the terminal.  It’s quite frightening as a passenger.    Not to mention they are often up to 30% more than an Uber for the same trip.

at Brisbane, Gold Coast and regional airports I always Uber to/from.   Gold Coast airport even have a dedicated Uber pick up right beside the taxi stand.   Haven’t been to Melbourne for awhile so can’t comment on that one

#21 My4beautifulboys

Posted 20 February 2020 - 11:18 PM

Yes Perth domestic airport. Thanks for the suggestions, in the past when we’ve had to use transport to get to appointments, we have used taxi’s, and found the service to be very good. Always reliable and on time. We kindly had a family member meet us, so didn’t need to use other transport. I have heard that a lot of people  choose to use Uber over taxi‘a now.

#22 Sancti-claws

Posted 21 February 2020 - 05:26 AM

View Postlizzzard, on 16 February 2020 - 09:10 AM, said:

Taxi. I refuse to use Uber as I detest their unethical business model. I know I’m in a minority but just putting it out there.
+1 here.

I have had great taxi experiences however the last few times I have used them.  Clean cars with lovely people driving them.  I know that can be hit or miss either side of the divide.

Edited by Sancti-claws, 21 February 2020 - 05:28 AM.

#23 Froyohoho

Posted 21 February 2020 - 03:48 PM

My4beautifulboys, on 20 February 2020 - 11:18 PM, said:

Yes Perth domestic airport. Thanks for the suggestions, in the past when we’ve had to use transport to get to appointments, we have used taxi’s, and found the service to be very good. Always reliable and on time. We kindly had a family member meet us, so didn’t need to use other transport. I have heard that a lot of people  choose to use Uber over taxi‘a now.
I used DiDi in Perth last month.

#24 BeachesBaby

Posted 21 February 2020 - 06:38 PM

I’m normally team uber, except two things that sway me towards a taxi if I’m going into the city or during rush hour or on a very short trip. 1. Only taxis can travel in a bus lane, ubers aren’t allowed. And 2. Children over the age of 1 are allowed to sit in the backseat of a taxi in nsw without a child seat, so if you’re only going somewhere close, a taxi is convenient to be able to sit your child without lugging your car seat along. (And yes I know some taxis or ubers have car seats, but obviously not all of them.)

#25 SplashingRainbows

Posted 21 February 2020 - 06:58 PM

lizzzard, on 16 February 2020 - 09:10 AM, said:

Do you know much about the taxi model?
Not sure they’re the poster child for ethical business practices either. It’s just more accepted that someone will own the taxi licence and pay minimum wage to a driver to drive for them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.