What to wear in London?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 just roses

Posted 15 February 2020 - 02:24 PM

I've just won a scholarship and have to travel to London for about ten days, leaving in the next couple of weeks.

I am hopeless at clothes - knowing what goes with what - at the very best of times. I particularly struggle which 'what shoes should go this outfit'.

But now I need to buy and/or pack clothes that will be suitable for work (not corporate, but still office environment) in London and Bristol.

Help!

I'm approx 173cm, size 8-10ish. I have a good navy trench and a long black puffer jacket. Shoes are my particular worry, but I'm also struggling with work clothes ideas. How cold will it be in early-mid March?

And one more question, is it possible to access the flu shot yet (in Australia)?

Edited by just roses, 15 February 2020 - 02:25 PM.

#2 Hands Up

Posted 15 February 2020 - 02:32 PM

It will be cool, jeans and jumper type weather. It’s the same dress code as a Sydney winter for work. Definitely not matchy/full suits etc. Nice trousers with blouse with a thick coat for commuting or skirts with thick stockings so you don’t get cold? I used to wear sneakers or flat boots for commuting and kept my heels at work.

#3 K.heather

Posted 15 February 2020 - 02:41 PM

No idea but just wanted to say congratulations, that's awesome.

#4 1975ladybug

Posted 15 February 2020 - 02:42 PM

See I would probably go for a pair of flat or low rise ankle boots that I could wear with jeans, dress or skirts with stockings, similar to theses,

https://www.dianafer...le-black-e.html

Or a pair of patent loafers, then work out from their what else to pack, converse for travel & down time, maybe a pair of heels,

#5 just roses

Posted 15 February 2020 - 02:44 PM

View PostK.heather, on 15 February 2020 - 02:41 PM, said:

No idea but just wanted to say congratulations, that's awesome.
Thank you! I had to quickly check my passport was still valid (phew!) and now I'm trying to choose a flight and get organised. But it's unexpected and exciting :-)

#6 hoohoobump

Posted 15 February 2020 - 02:58 PM

https://au.ecco.com/...1#sz=20&start=1
Nothing worse than cold, wet feet.

Early/mid-March can be cold+++ or starting toward spring. Coats sound good. Perhaps a pair of black/navy trousers and a couple of tops, dresses and tights to mix it up, and some funky earrings/necklaces...

Or just go a couple of days early and hit up Boden etc when you arrive ...

#7 skicat

Posted 15 February 2020 - 03:09 PM

We had light snow/sleet when we were there end of March once on holiday (Bath/Windsor area), so colder than Melbourne winter. Black pants, black puffer coat, black cardigan and just a few different scarfs/earrings, and a couple of nice tops (heated indoors) Boring but easy.

#8 Let-it-go

Posted 15 February 2020 - 03:40 PM

Good jacket is key.  Buildings in the UK are overheated compared to what we’re used to in Australia.  Especially in winter.  It’s actually very frustrating.  Just make sure you bottom layer isn’t too warm otherwise you’ll overheat.  I learnt this very quickly and in 5yrs living there, never wore my turtleneck tops.  I cooked in them!

Comfy shoes for outside that are waterproof.  My office attire always consisted of me changing shoes when I got to the office.  

So have a hat, gloves,scarf, warm (waterproof too is best) jacket and waterproof shoes and then just wear what you’d normally wear in an office in Australia.  Not bare legs obviously.

Mid March could be freezing, it could also be mild.  It’s hard to predict.  I remember one Easter in April it snowed, it was actually the coldest weekend of the year.  But also don’t stress too much if you get it wrong.....IT’S LONDON!  The shopping, so much wonderful shopping!

Edited by Let-it-go, 15 February 2020 - 03:43 PM.

#9 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 15 February 2020 - 03:54 PM

One year we were there the first week of June and it was max 12 degrees with a freezing wind and rain...

Congratulations on the scholarship! Wear whatever you usually feel comfortable in, variations on that. If you like dresses, wear dresses, etc, because you always look better when wearing clothes you feel comfortable in.

#10 IamzFeralz

Posted 15 February 2020 - 04:07 PM

I am UK born and bred.  For March I would layer up, have a thermal vest, t-shirt, long sleeve shirt and then a warm sleeveless puffer jacket, so you don’t feel too weighed down.  Long pants or if you wear a skirt then have thick tights underneath.  Agree with ankle boots.  Maybe even a scarf too.

I always felt much warmer with layers.

I did own leather jackets but that was more for January or February.

#11 just roses

Posted 15 February 2020 - 04:54 PM

View Posthoohoobump, on 15 February 2020 - 02:58 PM, said:

https://au.ecco.com/...1#sz=20&start=1
Nothing worse than cold, wet feet.
Ooh, I love those boots!

I have black lace-up leather boots I bought in Norway, but they're more proper winter boots, so not suitable for work.

#12 Let-it-go

Posted 15 February 2020 - 05:05 PM

Yes, shoes like that are ideal.  You can wear with a dress/skirt and opaque tights, jeans or smart trousers.
They look so comfy!!

#13 GingerbreadWoman

Posted 15 February 2020 - 06:04 PM

Agree with needing closed in, waterproof shoes. Ankle boots as suggested by a few PPs would be ideal. But unless you are planning to spend a lot of time outdoors I would not bother with thermals or similar.

I have been to the UK for work a few times and the first trip I ended up going shopping for some short sleeve tops/blouses as I had taken all long sleeved things, expecting it to be cold (since it was the middle of winter). But everywhere indoors was so over-heated, I was too hot.

After that I have just worn exactly what I would wear in Australia, with a decent coat/jacket, plus gloves, to put on over the top for going outside.

congratulations and enjoy your trip!

#14 just roses

Posted 15 February 2020 - 06:11 PM

View PostLet-it-go, on 15 February 2020 - 05:05 PM, said:

Yes, shoes like that are ideal.  You can wear with a dress/skirt and opaque tights, jeans or smart trousers.
They look so comfy!!
Would those ECCO ones be more versatile than these, do you think?

https://www.bodenclo...t/sty-a0500-blk

#15 Islander

Posted 15 February 2020 - 07:50 PM

Ooooh I prefer the boden boots! The shape and cut look gorgeous and I imagine (having not lived in the UK since I was 18 and immune to weather!) they’d be climatically suited given they’re for a mostly British market?

#16 Let-it-go

Posted 15 February 2020 - 09:26 PM

View Postjust roses, on 15 February 2020 - 06:11 PM, said:

The only time I’ve purchased Boden shoes, I’ve sent them back.  Very stiff and not the most comfortable.  They looked great though!  I’d also suspect a thin, slippery heel.  So I’d go with the practicality of a brand like ECCO.  

Islander - the Brits are not known for practicality :laugh:.  I’ve seen girls lined up for bars and nightclubs in teeny tiny dresses, bare legs and heels in winter.....think 0deg!  So I’d never trust an English brand on the practical front.  We definitely do that better.

#17 lizzzard

Posted 15 February 2020 - 10:32 PM

Congratulations!!

I’m in London now and am finding it really mild. Most days are around 10 and it’s getting warmer.

I have been wearing black work pants with opaque stockings underneath and ballet flats most days. I do feel the cold, so have also been wearing long sleeve thermals under my usual Australian winter clothes. You could probably get away with just a trench coat if you wear an extra layer underneath and maybe a scarf. But I’ve been wearing a proper winter coat.

My favourite travel item for European spring are the lightweight puffer jackets that roll up into a pocket from Uniqlo. Surprisingly  warm and so much easier to carry than an overcoat!

#18 born.a.girl

Posted 16 February 2020 - 07:25 AM

View Postjust roses, on 15 February 2020 - 06:11 PM, said:

It's possibly because I'm much older, but I wouldn't wear the Boden ones with a dress or skirt, but I would the Ecco ones.

I think you're right, the Ecco ones are more versatile.

#19 Hands Up

Posted 16 February 2020 - 07:30 AM

I love those Ecco boots and want some desperately! They aren’t cheap though are they?

#20 purpleduck

Posted 16 February 2020 - 07:32 AM

Also check out merino items at Uniqlo. Great for layering and don’t take up much room.

And congratulations :D

Edited by purpleduck, 16 February 2020 - 07:32 AM.

#21 WaitForMe

Posted 16 February 2020 - 07:46 AM

Can you get there a day or so earlier and do some shopping?

Its fun (although busy) shopping on Oxford street! A great experience.

#22 seayork2002

Posted 16 February 2020 - 07:50 AM

Layers!

#23 just roses

Posted 17 February 2020 - 09:13 PM

Thanks for the tips, everyone!

I went through the gear I have and made a list of what I need.

I even ordered the ECCO boots! Bit more than I wanted to spend but hopefully they'll last ok (reviews aren't amazing for ECCO at the moment).

Now I just have to book the tickets!

#24 ineedmorecoffee

Posted 17 February 2020 - 09:24 PM

I would check out Uniqlo for work clothes, knitwear, coats and thermals.

#25 melbun

Posted 18 February 2020 - 11:10 AM

I'd take a couple of outfits, then shop there rather than here.

I live in Melbourne, so I'd aim for what I'd wear to work in mid winter.

Which is pants and a long sleeve top, or a knit dress and opaque tights.  Closed in shoes or ankle boots, and a decent coat.  A coat with a hood is ideal so you can cope with a bit of rain without having to struggle with an umbrella.

I'm actually anti-layering, I find it's a PIA, having to remove multiple layers each time you go inside where it's usually well heated.  I'd rather a more substantial coat so you're only taking off one layer.  

I have a few pairs of Diana Ferrari Supersoft ankle boots with a low wedge, they are really comfortable.  

We're off to the UK in 3 weeks, for a month.  The weather will probably be pretty varied from start to finish, and from London to Northern Ireland so I'll be prepared for pretty much anything.

Congrats also - don't be tempted to fly Cathay via Hong Kong, we are, and they have already cancelled 2 of our flights.   :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.