What to do with all these extra tampons?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 BadCat

Posted 15 February 2020 - 10:33 AM

Tennessee lawmakers are concerned that removing the tax on tampons during a "sales tax holiday" will cause women to buy too many.

Obviously they are correct.

I mean, when they removed GST from tampons here, you probably lost control just like me and bought an entire shipping container full, right?

Whatever are we to do with all these tampons?

I've already built a tampon fort.

The cats have seen through my clever ruse of drawing eyes on them to make them think they are mice and they will no longer stalk them.

I'm thinking that I could load up some nerf guns with tampons and go out shooting sexist men purely for the enjoyment of seeing their disgust when they register that they've made contact with a tampon.

But what else?

What are your creative suggestions for what the women of Tennessee can do with the enormous number of tampons they will inevitably buy if the "sales tax holiday" on tampons goes ahead?

#2 JustBeige

Posted 15 February 2020 - 10:46 AM

i know I shouldnt be, Im still stunned when they say this sh*t in their 'out loud' voice.

Tennessee lawmakers are concerned that removing the tax on tampons during a "sales tax holiday" will cause women to buy too many.

I'm thinking that I could load up some nerf guns with tampons and go out shooting sexist men purely for the enjoyment of seeing their disgust when they register that they've made contact with a tampon
I was going to suggest dipping them in red food colouring but that would make them swell.  So red paint first or some of that powdered dye stuff that they put on money,  Just so it doesnt come off!.

dickheads.

#3 EsmeLennox

Posted 15 February 2020 - 10:52 AM

Building on the nerf gun idea, I am sure if they were fully loaded with paint and shot out of a paintball gun, they’d work fabulously to brand said Tennessee lawmakers.

#4 kimasa

Posted 15 February 2020 - 10:57 AM

I for one know that I have always wanted to create a giant tampon wall in my house.

Art.

#5 Chocolate Addict

Posted 15 February 2020 - 11:05 AM

Sound proofing or insulation for the house?
Tradition uses like earrings and dunking in to drinks in nightclubs? or is that just me? :p

#6 Ellie bean

Posted 15 February 2020 - 11:06 AM

Shove them up Donald Trump’s a*se?

#7 sahmie

Posted 15 February 2020 - 11:08 AM

Slight derailment - is there actually no GST on tampons anymore? I didn’t know that! Is it all FH products? (I don’t use them, so haven’t paid attention)

#8 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 15 February 2020 - 11:10 AM

“silly women who can’t control their finances will binge spend on this frivolous item”.

i think most of us buy what we need when it comes to tampons and pads. if i did go overboard i’d - i don’t know, donate them to a woman’s shelter? keep a couple of unopened packs in my cupboard at work...so when a colleague comes up to me and whispers “you wouldn’t happen to have a spare tampon would you?” i could say “why yes i do, here, take the whole packet”.

#9 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 15 February 2020 - 11:13 AM

i think there still is GST on pads and tampons? i buy both but never pay attention! there was a drive to remove it but it didn’t go down well with the LNP IIRC - like Abbott’s objection to the cervical cancer vaccine “it might make women promiscuous” - they seemed to think that removing GST on tampons would motivate us to have more periods or something. they’re not very bright...

#10 bearosauraus

Posted 15 February 2020 - 11:13 AM

View Postsahmie, on 15 February 2020 - 11:08 AM, said:

Slight derailment - is there actually no GST on tampons anymore? I didn’t know that! Is it all FH products? (I don’t use them, so haven’t paid attention)

Yes indeed! Like all women, I am sure we all rushed out to stock up on Jan 1 2019  ;)

#11 TrixieBelden

Posted 15 February 2020 - 11:28 AM

This really just reveals their true thoughts doesn’t it.

These ppl genuinely believe we have nefarious intentions. Probably just making up the very unlikely story of having  periods in order to stockpile for some dark reason of our own.

#12 overlytired

Posted 15 February 2020 - 11:38 AM

View PostBadCat, on 15 February 2020 - 10:33 AM, said:

(snipped)

I'd love to see old men define what, precisely, is considered "too many"? Are they suggesting they should be rationed?

#13 IamtheMumma

Posted 15 February 2020 - 11:41 AM

Could we tie aborted ectopic pregnancies back in with the tampon strings? The tampons themselves can soak up the blood from the ruptured fallopian tube.

#14 seayork2002

Posted 15 February 2020 - 11:46 AM

I think they say and get away with this
because people listen and believe it and vote for them.

As a side issue i only buy pads not tampons so not sure on tax/costs here.

But i wish someone would actually say 'Ok so please give examples of what other purpose they can be stockpiled for, what is your source?'

#15 BadCat

Posted 15 February 2020 - 11:53 AM

Well given that some men apparently think periods are like peeing and we can just hold it in, I assume they think we use tampons and pads because we're too lazy to go to the toilet.

Based on that, then of course we're using too many.

#16 Bethlehem Babe

Posted 15 February 2020 - 12:06 PM

View Postoverlytired, on 15 February 2020 - 11:38 AM, said:

I'd love to see old men define what, precisely, is considered "too many"? Are they suggesting they should be rationed?

Well nasa says 100 per week so...
https://www.vox.com/...ly-ride-tampons

#17 BadCat

Posted 15 February 2020 - 12:13 PM

Why do so many men have no idea about periods?

Is it because women are still embarrassed to talk about them?  And why are women embarrassed?  Is it because we've been taught that anything to do with our vaginas is shameful and dirty?  And who taught us that? Could it possibly be men who did that, with their bullsh*t patriarchal religious puritanism? And is that because men are afraid of women?

Hmm, so many questions.  So many obvious answers.

#18 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 15 February 2020 - 12:23 PM

i think period shame is still very much a thing. in some religions/cultures it’s kind of likened to death, and a woman who has her period is seen as unclean, not worthy.

#19 Jingleflea

Posted 15 February 2020 - 12:26 PM

My mum came from a long line of women who thought they were shameful and not to be talked about.

I find it really hard to get past it too, I'm getting better though!

#20 seayork2002

Posted 15 February 2020 - 12:33 PM

View PostBadCat, on 15 February 2020 - 12:13 PM, said:

Why do so many men have no idea about periods?

Is it because women are still embarrassed to talk about them?  And why are women embarrassed?  Is it because we've been taught that anything to do with our vaginas is shameful and dirty?  And who taught us that? Could it possibly be men who did that, with their bullsh*t patriarchal religious puritanism? And is that because men are afraid of women?

Hmm, so many questions.  So many obvious answers.

I have no issues around talking about but i have never found it a particularly interesting topic of conversation really.

Same with lots of topics, if it comes up I will talk about it.

Same with, pooing, boils,pimples, haemerroids etc. not interesting to me unless i feel the need too

Edited by seayork2002, 15 February 2020 - 12:38 PM.

#21 Pearson

Posted 15 February 2020 - 12:34 PM

View Postsahmie, on 15 February 2020 - 11:08 AM, said:

Yep, and there should be no GST on your period underwear or menstrual cup if this is your method. Thinx refunded me the GST they charged me when I pointed out the change it tax law.

#22 BadCat

Posted 15 February 2020 - 01:12 PM

View Postseayork2002, on 15 February 2020 - 12:33 PM, said:

I have no issues around talking about but i have never found it a particularly interesting topic of conversation really.

Same with lots of topics, if it comes up I will talk about it.

Same with, pooing, boils,pimples, haemerroids etc. not interesting to me unless i feel the need too

Well it's not really an interesting topic most of the time.  But that's no excuse for men not knowing how it works, or for women being ashamed to talk about it.

Nobody thinks twice if you grab a tissue at work because you sneeze, or if you have a zit.  But women are still taking their whole bag to the toilet instead of just openly carrying a tampon.

In the US, it seems you're more likely to see an open carry gun than an open carry tampon.

Edited by BadCat, 15 February 2020 - 01:14 PM.

#23 Ellie bean

Posted 15 February 2020 - 01:15 PM

View PostBadCat, on 15 February 2020 - 01:12 PM, said:

In the US, it seems you're more likely to see an open carry gun than an open carry tampon.
Yeah that is just insane.

#24 Expelliarmus

Posted 15 February 2020 - 01:20 PM

View PostLucrezia Bauble, on 15 February 2020 - 11:10 AM, said:

“silly women who can’t control their finances will binge spend on this frivolous item”.

i think most of us buy what we need when it comes to tampons and pads.
I stocked up on pads, tampons and liners today for the DDs bathroom cupboard because they were on sale. So I got one of everything ...

When I went to put them away I discovered that I really didn't need to buy any and we are a little overstocked ... apparently it can happen!

My use for the extra tampons women will mindlessly buy when they aren't taxed is for the blood noses that will occur when I punch all these stupid men in the face.

#25 MissBehaving

Posted 15 February 2020 - 01:42 PM

Use the tampons instead of sand bags wherever it is flooding at the moment!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.