Newborn in middle or side seat?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Ruby05

Posted 14 February 2020 - 10:50 PM

Baby due in 2 months. I have isofix option in the side seats, but not the middle seat. I haven't bought a car seat yet, but obviously need to soon.
I have my 3yo in a car seat currently on the side and 8yo that sits on the other side.
I can't decide if I should
A) put newborn in the middle so 8yo could help put a dummy in and entertain baby. Better shade from sun. But then possibly harder to get baby in and out, and no isofix option there, or
B) put newborn on the side with 3yo in middle, get to use isofix, easier to get baby in and out, but 3yo in middle prob won't be any help, shielding baby from sun is annoying.

WDYT?

I won't be getting a capsule seat. I would be getting a 0-4yr convertible seat. Just can't decide if worth investing in isofix if I'm not even going to use it.

Note I have 2 kids 10yo and 8yo 70% of the time. I have 2 stepkids 3yo and 8yo every 2nd weekend. I typically leave 3yo car seat in the car all the time. I need to leave one middle row side seat free so that seat can move forward for kids to access 3rd row. My car is a 2014 Pathfinder.

#2 BECZ

Posted 15 February 2020 - 12:17 AM

I’d personally put baby on the side.
I’m guessing your third row seats don’t have anchor points.  If they did. I’d put 3 yr old in third row and the 8 yr old can help with the baby.
If this is not an option, it’s surprising what most 3 yr olds can help with as long as they can reach.  I guess all kids are different, but my kids loved helping baby their little brothers and sisters when they were babies.  Unfortunately not so much now!

#3 Starflash

Posted 15 February 2020 - 05:31 AM

Could the 8yo be in the middle, and climb/ buckle themselves in?

#4 Hands Up

Posted 15 February 2020 - 06:03 AM

Get a window shade for a he sun element. I’d have the baby on the side with 8 year old in the middle.

#5 NotBitzerMaloney

Posted 15 February 2020 - 06:09 AM

Baby on the side, 8 year old in the middle

#6 Mose

Posted 15 February 2020 - 06:28 AM

The way I read the OP I think 8 year old can't go in the middle, because then 3 year old and baby would be on each side making the back row inaccessible due to the carseat?

#7 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 15 February 2020 - 07:30 AM

It would only be unaccessible if she's rear facing the 3 year old as well. The older kids would get in from the other door if the baby is rear faced and on one side.

#8 gatheringpieces

Posted 15 February 2020 - 07:30 AM

I've got baby on the side and 3yr old in middle. 3yr old has no interest in helping in any capacity and that's fine. He can get himself in and out of his seat and then obviously either myself or one of the big kids (8&10) help with strapping him in.

It would be way too hard reaching to the middle to bout baby in and out of his seat!

#9 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 15 February 2020 - 07:45 AM

8yo in the middle, baby on drivers side and 3yo in the passenger side.

That’s how we did it when I had kids of those ages.

As for the sun - tiny the windows or buy a window shade.

Older kids can get in and out of car from the back door.

#10 Backtoschoolchef

Posted 15 February 2020 - 08:35 AM

Ive got 7,8  and baby.   Baby is behind driver as other 2 get themselves out for school on the passenger side.

Its ideally safest to have the baby in the middle but I wouldn't be able to reach that seat anyway when standing next to the car.

#11 laridae

Posted 15 February 2020 - 08:50 AM

Baby and 3 year old will need door seats to make strapping in easier.
Put 8 year old in middle or back seat.
Kids can either jump over seat or go in the back way to get to 3Rd row.

#12 Kaz83

Posted 15 February 2020 - 08:58 AM

We have our 1 year old rear facing in the middle, 4 year old in a seat on one side and 8 year old on the other. I think it depends what car you have as we can easily buckle the middle seat from the side. When we have extra kids they climb into the third row through the boot.

#13 Ruby05

Posted 15 February 2020 - 10:55 AM

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I think I'll go with putting baby in the side seat and 3yo in the middle. Baby will be with me full time obviously and it will be easier to get them in/out all the time if they're in the side seat. I ideally want to keep the other side seat free as I'm not a fan of the kids climbing over the seats to get to the third row and want that seat free of a car seat so it can fold and slide forward. If baby is often unsettled I'll just remove 3yo car seat in between the every 2nd weekend we have the 3yo. I'll invest in an isofix seat.
Cheers.

#14 Ruby05

Posted 15 February 2020 - 10:58 AM

I'll consider putting 3yo in 3rd row. I need to check for anchor points. I often put 3rd row down for better boot storage when we don't have all the kids.

#15 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 15 February 2020 - 08:28 PM

Can you definitely slide the side seat forward with a restraint installed in the middle position? I can't do it in my 7 seater Subaru. Very annoying.

#16 Ruby05

Posted 17 February 2020 - 09:16 PM

I'm pretty sure I can. The middle row is split in uneven 2 parts for folding/sliding. 2 seats on one side of the split and 1 seat on the other side of the split. Each side of the split can move independently of each other.
I'll put the 2 car seats together on one side of the split, and so the seat in the other side of the split won't have a car seat and will be free to fold/slide as needed.

#17 PrincessPeach

Posted 17 February 2020 - 09:26 PM

You still need to use a top teather strap with an isofix seat, they just dont use the seatbelts.

#18 Ruby05

Posted 17 February 2020 - 10:10 PM

Yes I have just discovered that pricesspeach. Bit bummed as I was getting excited by the idea of not having to battle with the top teather straps getting in the way when seat rear facing. It seems that isofix really doesn't seem like a big deal of convenience, but oh well got the seat now.
This still won't affect the other side seat without the car seat from sliding/folding. Also my top teather anchor is on the back of the seat, so even these seats could slide forward.

As it turns out my 3rd row doesn't have standard anchor points that I can tell. So I will stick with the plan of 3yo in middle of middle row, and newborn in side of middle row.

#19 HolierThanCow

Posted 18 February 2020 - 07:39 AM

I think having the 8 year old on the passenger side is good - I had a newborn, 2 year old and 10 year old, and found school pickups and dropoffs were much easier with my 10 year old on that side. Also, it meant the 10 year old could stand on the pavement while I got the middle seat buckled and then get herself into the car. We actually found it easier to have the baby in the middle and get the two year old to climb around the capsule to her seat from the passenger side. That way, the only thing to do roadside was buckle the 2 year old in.

Edited by HolierThanCow, 18 February 2020 - 07:40 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.