Coronavirus travel plan changes?

• Please log in to reply
438 replies to this topic

#1 bubskitkat

Posted 11 February 2020 - 07:26 AM

Has anyone changed their travel plans due to Coronavirus?

We are going to Europe in September/October and we are transferring via China & Hong Kong.

I have read that travel insurance may not cover changes due to this.

Still a long time away for me and hopefully by then all will be well.

I’m also on a cruise in less than 2 weeks and we have been sent countless letters that state we can’t cruise if we have been to China or Hong Kong in the last 15 days which we have not. I was advised to expect increased monitoring of health on the ship and to have our temperature taken on boarding.

#2 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 11 February 2020 - 07:36 AM

We are all booked and paid to go to Bali over Easter.

No idea at this stage if we will go or not. We will decide at the last minute.

Travel insurance will likely only cover the loss if travel advice for Indonesia changes to “do not travel”. If we decide to stay home for our own peace of mind, then we will lose thousands. Our insurance covers pandemics, but doesn’t cover “knowns” so we will have to argue that at the time we purchased our insurance, it wasn’t a “known” risk for Bali.

My concern is getting sick in Bali. The Dr care there is probably not as good as here, and we don’t want to be banned from returning to Australia because we have work and school to get back to. Being stuck there is probably my biggest concern actually.

I definitely would not board a cruise right now. But then I’m not a fan of the idea of cruises anyway.

#3 No Drama Please

Posted 11 February 2020 - 07:45 AM

We were planning on going to Singapore or Korea/Japan over Easter. We haven’t booked it yet but my main concerns aren’t really about contracting anything, it’s more to do with how quickly things are changing in regards to stopping flying to/from from certain countries and quarantining. It seems things change without notice in some cases and I don’t know if insurance would cover you for having to book return flights on a different airline or non-refundable hotels, that kind of thing.

#4 born.a.girl

Posted 11 February 2020 - 07:47 AM

I'm definitely not.

Japan in May/June that doesn't stopover in any current 'problematic' port is something that presumably the vast majority wouldn't worry about.   I accept there's an offchance of major cities outside China being quarantied if they have an uncontrolled outbreak, but the chance of that being somewhere we're landing or departing from are so vanishingly small I'm not even thinking about it.

Europe in Aug/Sept we return with a transit through Hong Kong, and I'm not bothered by that, either.  Currently any regulations requiring people from Hong Kong to self quarantine don't apply to people in transit.

My only concern, personally, with all the travel we'll do this year, is that due to asthma, it took me a month to get over the common cold recently.  I always get a bit of asthma after a cold, but this was for more drawn out.

So the only change I'll be making is taking more ventolin than I usually do.

#5 born.a.girl

Posted 11 February 2020 - 07:48 AM

View PostNo Drama Please, on 11 February 2020 - 07:45 AM, said:

We were planning on going to Singapore or Korea/Japan over Easter. We haven’t booked it yet but my main concerns aren’t really about contracting anything, it’s more to do with how quickly things are changing in regards to stopping flying to/from from certain countries and quarantining. It seems things change without notice in some cases and I don’t know if insurance would cover you for having to book return flights on a different airline or non-refundable hotels, that kind of thing.

I've yet to find any insurance that will cover me for corona virus. There are some that would cover people if you already had insurance prior to the knowledge of it, but some won't even cover you then.

ETA: Travel insurance for me has always been about the 'lose the house' type expense of being medically repatriated back after a major issue such as a very bad accident, stroke etc.

The money I've spent on the trip I can afford to lose, or I wouldn't be spending it in the first place. I can't afford to lose the house.

Edited by born.a.girl, 11 February 2020 - 07:49 AM.

#6 AnythingGoes

Posted 11 February 2020 - 07:49 AM

We have a trip booked and mostly paid for to Korea transiting through Singapore in early April. We are waiting at this stage to decide what to do.

My concerns are facing quarantines at either end of the trip.

I wouldn't be boarding a cruise at this point if they paid me. All it would take is one passenger to come down with it - and that passenger could have caught it anywhere at this point - and everyone will be stuck in their rooms for 2 weeks floating around the ocean being denied entry to ports.

#7 skicat

Posted 11 February 2020 - 08:24 AM

We are also concerned about travelling to Bali in 5 weeks. There is limited testing for the virus in Indonesia so difficult to get information especially as lots of tourists from China still there. I also don't want to get sick there if their hospitals become overwhelmed .
I don't care if we lose our money, health more important.

#8 annodam

Posted 11 February 2020 - 08:25 AM

We're just travelling interstate over Easter (booked & paid for).  At this stage, our plan is to just wear masks through MEL airport & on the plane there & back, around the streets we should be fine.
We wore masks in Canberra recently when we were there for SummerNats due to the smoke.

Christmas time we have booked an O/S trip, our accommodation was booked early January (it's not paid for yet).  Insurance was also taken out the same day (paid for already) we haven't booked flights yet, I'm waiting for Easter time when they might release some sales.

#9 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 11 February 2020 - 08:30 AM

DH had a work conference next week in Singapore. It's been cancelled.
Singapore raised it alert staths to orange in the weekend, friends posted pictures of supermarkets in Singapore stripped due to panic buying. DH's uncles from Singapore are supposed to meet up with his dad for a road trip here in Australia next month. There's talk they may not be allowed out of Singapore.

#10 seayork2002

Posted 11 February 2020 - 08:37 AM

We are planning on Europe for July/August next year so was planning on booking in a few months so will monitor closer to the time

#11 daisy007

Posted 11 February 2020 - 09:04 AM

I’m going to Japan in March and at this stage won’t be making any changes to the trip. We fly directly from Melb to Narita and the same return so I think the chance of our flights getting cancelled is very small. However things can change so I’m monitoring the situation and will adhere to any travel warnings that the government issues.
I am going with a friend. I would be more hesitant if I was travelling with my children, I’m able to resist licking hand rails and rolling round on floors unlike them!

#12 bearosauraus

Posted 11 February 2020 - 09:06 AM

We are off to Bali in 3 weeks and I am really unsure what we should do at this stage.

#13 melbun

Posted 11 February 2020 - 01:53 PM

We're flying to the UK with a stopover in Hong Kong, next month.

Cathay Pacific has just cancelled one of our flights on the Australia - Hong Kong leg.

For financial reasons, as no one is booking due to the protests, now the corona virus.

#14 kim11

Posted 11 February 2020 - 02:03 PM

I live in Canada now and have a trip booked to go back to Australia in March, transitting through Hong Kong. I have cancelled those flights and will rebook to avoid Asia. I don't want to risk being in quarantine for two weeks. I had heard the UK was putting people from Hong Kong flights in Quarantine when they land. It wasn't clear if it was people transitting or residents. But I know there is a risk of Australia doing the same thing.

#15 abbyminnie

Posted 11 February 2020 - 02:49 PM

We have flights and hotels booked for Hong Kong and Japan in early April.  I've contacted my travel agent to see if we can cancel or delay the trip.  Fingers crossed!

#16 oneplusabun

Posted 11 February 2020 - 04:03 PM

We have booked to travel to Europe via Hong Kong at the end of May. Flights are paid for, all accomodation is refundable. At this stage I feel that Italy/France will be 'safe' but I am not keen to transit in Hong Kong. I will consider rebooking flights via the Middle East but will be out of pocket around $3k (family of 5). I will hold off for another few weeks though in case the situation escalates further.

Edited by oneplusabun, 11 February 2020 - 04:11 PM.

#17 8LittleAustralians

Posted 11 February 2020 - 04:20 PM

I'm going to Taiwan in May, transiting through KL. Was then planning on heading to Japan via Hong Kong, however that part hasn't been booked yet. Might look at other options to Japan, but will wait and see what happens over the next few weeks.

#18 AmicusCuriae

Posted 11 February 2020 - 04:29 PM

We’ve booked to go to London via Singapore, coming home via Hong Kong, flying out in Dec and home in Jan 2021.  At the moment, hoping the crisis doesn’t continue that long, otherwise we might have to try and get tickets on the new London via Perth route, or go via the Emirates.  Not sure insurance will cover it, so fingers crossed we don’t need to buy new flights!

#19 The new me

Posted 11 February 2020 - 08:06 PM

We are going to Italy mid April transiting via Singapore
Right now I am a little concerned about the transit

We have cancel for any reason cover on our travel insurance, so as we get closer we may need to execute that option

I really want to go on my holiday but dont want to get stuck somewhere and not able to get home not being able to speak the language with stretched medical resources

Will be watching it carefully

#20 little lion

Posted 11 February 2020 - 08:10 PM

We were leaving for Taiwan and Japan in two weeks. We have decided not to go. Still in the process of changing flights and ?cancelling the travel insurance we took out. We will leave that until the last minute in the hopes that our destinations will be recategorised as “do not travel”.

Our decision wasn’t driven too much by worries about getting sick, but more that our time away would be impacted too much and potentially being in quarantine for a fortnight after coming home.

#21 sahmie

Posted 11 February 2020 - 10:53 PM

We had vague plans to go OS somewhere around May/June (usually SE Asia as the holidays are cheaper than staying within aus) but hadn’t booked anything yet. We usually just keep an eye on sales and head wherever the tide takes us.
This year we’ll probably stay within Aus. Not changing plans as such, but if the threat is still there, there’s no point taking a risk on a holiday we haven’t booked.

Edited by sahmie, 11 February 2020 - 10:59 PM.

#22 littlepickle

Posted 11 February 2020 - 11:19 PM

We have a trip booked to Vietnam via Singapore in late April. We will decide 2 weeks prior - I currently do not have any insurance on the trip (tried around the 23rd Jan but all providers would not cover the virus specifically). We will potentially lose $1500 if flights cannot be rebooked with Singapore airlines (cheapest tickets). I assume that if Singapore closes it's boarders that we will probably be able to get a credit with the airline.
As we have sorted the kids, house and dog for the time period we are planning to be away we might try something different - Adelaide, Darwin, Rottnest, houseboat, bush camping... the list is endless.

I am planning on booking flights next month for December 2020/ Jan 2021 Europe... fingers crossed.

#23 mpoppins92

Posted 12 February 2020 - 12:13 AM

We’re going to Thailand in July. Will reassess closer to the date. Much like other PPs, my concern is more getting sick there and not being able to access adequate care or being suddenly denied entry back into Aus.

At the moment it’s all good but we’ll keep a watch on it.

#24 redchick

Posted 12 February 2020 - 04:54 AM

As an Australian citizen you cannot be denied entry into Australia. But you can be placed in quarantine on your return and airlines may cancel flights.

#25 born.a.girl

Posted 12 February 2020 - 05:08 AM

View Postredchick, on 12 February 2020 - 04:54 AM, said:

As an Australian citizen you cannot be denied entry into Australia. But you can be placed in quarantine on your return and airlines may cancel flights.

An airline might stop you travelling though, if they feel you're not well enough.

I should imagine anyone who's been diagnosed with it in a country without our level of medical facilities would want to be treated here, but may not be able to get here.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.