Waiting a cycle before doing FET?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 AuntyJJJ

Posted 31 January 2020 - 08:00 AM

Has anyone else been advised to wait a cycle before doing their FET?

I had egg collection end Jan but the embryologist said I must wait out an extra cycle otherwise if I jump on this one coming it has low success

Can’t find much detailed info about FET online - when we finally do start our FET will it be an attempt every month?
Thanks

#2 Wonderstruck

Posted 31 January 2020 - 08:06 AM

I do back to back FETs. I just had an unsuccessful one and am starting a new one straight away. You can if your doctor is ok with it and can also wait if you prefer.

The same thing happened in 2016. One unsuccessful one and the following one was a BFP who is now nearly 3.

Edited by Wonderstruck, 31 January 2020 - 08:06 AM.

#3 IamOzgirl

Posted 31 January 2020 - 08:28 AM

Mixed messaging in this. And seems to depend on clinic to clinic.

Is it waiting a month between and EPU cycle and and FET or back to back FET?

#4 AuntyJJJ

Posted 31 January 2020 - 08:38 AM

Yes thanks ok so ok to do back to back !

And also why do I have to wait until mid March for firs FET

#5 IamOzgirl

Posted 31 January 2020 - 08:43 AM

I think these are questions you should ask your clinic.

They are valid questions.

#6 Wonderstruck

Posted 31 January 2020 - 09:08 AM

View PostAuntyJJJ, on 31 January 2020 - 08:38 AM, said:

Yes thanks ok so ok to do back to back !

And also why do I have to wait until mid March for firs FET

I had to wait for PGD results. I think it might be as your body can be messed up from all the stimulation and hormones

#7 Mollyksy

Posted 31 January 2020 - 11:24 AM

My clinic always waited one cycle between an egg pick up 'fresh' IVF cycle and a FET. It was to let the hormones balance. I have done back to back FET but they were mon medicated, tracking ovulation then transfer 5 days later. I would expect if it were a medicated FET to wait a cycle on between. I know you are anxious to get going but if it really does give you a better shot then it's worth it. I agree though ask your clinic as its best they tell you their reasoning and you can go from there. Good luck!

#8 Wonderstruck

Posted 31 January 2020 - 12:18 PM

I do medicated FETs back to back but I think it depends a lot on your FS and clinic view on it.

Agree with Molly that your body is often really messed up by a stim and one cycle later might be a good idea. My cycle post EPU was something crazy like 45 days long!

#9 SunStarMoon

Posted 31 January 2020 - 05:08 PM

I had to wait (ie couldn’t do a fresh transfer) due to my high risk of ohss. But I got to start straight after, as once you get your period it’s suppose to bring your hormones back to normal.

Are you waiting between a EC and FET, or between FETs?

#10 Paddlepop

Posted 31 January 2020 - 05:38 PM

I had a fresh transfer 5 days after EPU, and did an FET the next cycle. My IVF doctor had suggested that I'd probably need to wait for a cycle but I was impatient so he agreed that we could do hormone testing to check how my cycle was. To his surprise my hormones were within range and ultrasound confirmed that my lining was thick enough so we were able to proceed with the FET and not wait a cycle. It was an unmedicated FET. That FET just celebrated her 10th birthday this week.

It's going to depend on your doctor and your own body. I don't there's going to be a set answer to whether or not you have to wait a cycle or not.

#11 *Andi*

Posted 31 January 2020 - 05:57 PM

Have you discussed it with your FS or just the embryologist? See what they think, whether your body would benefit from the extra time to settle down. I also have to wait about 3 weeks for PGS so don't have a choice, but I've also done back-to-back medicated FETs.

#12 AuntyJJJ

Posted 01 February 2020 - 06:53 AM

Thanks so much this is all very helpful
Yes I want to have FET in this cycle straight after EC and not have to wait 8 weeks (mid jan to mid March)

I’m almost recovered OHSS and my periods are extremely 28d regular- I can feel the estrogen is reduced. I’ll request a blood test. Thanks - great advice and sharing :)

My FS is an endocrinologist and I don’t think she has much experience with fertility- I might be her first patient. I had to go through her to use the public hospital clinic. When I ask them questions they generally answer with “it depends”. Or “ask your FS”.

When I told FS & and the clinic nurses I was having OHSS symptoms 5d before trigger she didn’t reduce the FSH dose or choose a non HCG trigger. So I did get really sick, vomiting, couldn’t walk or move.

#13 Wonderstruck

Posted 01 February 2020 - 09:30 AM

View PostAuntyJJJ, on 01 February 2020 - 06:53 AM, said:

Yes I want to have FET in this cycle straight after EC and not have to wait 8 weeks (mid jan to mid March)

I’m almost recovered OHSS and my periods are extremely 28d regular- I can feel the estrogen is reduced. I’ll request a blood test. Thanks - great advice and sharing :)

My FS is an endocrinologist and I don’t think she has much experience with fertility- I might be her first patient. I had to go through her to use the public hospital clinic. When I ask them questions they generally answer with “it depends”. Or “ask your FS”.

When I told FS & and the clinic nurses I was having OHSS symptoms 5d before trigger she didn’t reduce the FSH dose or choose a non HCG trigger. So I did get really sick, vomiting, couldn’t walk or move.

With a non-hcg trigger you generally can't transfer too soon after anyway as it thins your lining. I triggered with synarel to avoid OHSS but wasn't allowed to do a fresh transfer but was doing PGD so couldn't anyway.

I think it's best to wait a cycle after OHSS as it can be a hostile environment.

All the waiting is never fun.

Maybe ask about going for bloods on day one to see if the levels are ok?

#14 Froyohoho

Posted 01 February 2020 - 09:35 AM

As above, after OHSS you really would be better off to wait a cycle.

#15 *Andi*

Posted 01 February 2020 - 09:39 AM

That definitely makes sense to wait a cycle if you've had OHSS.

#16 DragonsGrace

Posted 01 February 2020 - 09:42 AM

As someone who was pregnant with OHSS I can truly say waiting would be best. Its the worst I’ve ever felt in my life (and I have gallstones). I was admitted to icu for a week on iv fluids and oxygen, catheterised, and blood thinners due to clots that formed. I also had a litre of fluid around my right lung and gained 10kg in fluid over 3 days. Waiting may seem like the hardest thing when all you want is to get going but it’s better than the alternative.

Good luck for the future

#17 AuntyJJJ

Posted 01 February 2020 - 12:00 PM

Dragons grace that’s awful I’m so sorry. Really wise advice from all of you thanks. I’ll wait. It will be worth it.

#18 Wango

Posted 01 February 2020 - 02:49 PM

I had a successful transfer after Mild OHSS.  

I had a non HCG trigger but with estrogen and progesterone support to compensate.   It was always planned that I would have a non hcg trigger because my AMH was 115 so very high risk of OHSS but wanted to still get lots of eggs to do PGS testing.   We put a non tested one back in.

I also wouldn’t recommend mixing pregnancy and OHSS and my case was quite mild!

Edited by Wango, 01 February 2020 - 02:51 PM.

#19 Paddlepop

Posted 01 February 2020 - 05:38 PM

With the update about OHSS I'd definitely encourage you to wait at least a cycle while your body recovers.

#20 alek2019

Posted 05 February 2020 - 05:07 PM

View PostAuntyJJJ, on 01 February 2020 - 06:53 AM, said:

I’m almost recovered OHSS and my periods are extremely 28d regular- I can feel the estrogen is reduced. I’ll request a blood test. Thanks - great advice and sharing Posted Image

Thanks for your post.  I'm about to have my first FET and reading the comments is really helpful.  Maybe get your bloods still and then check from there?

#21 34and46

Posted 26 February 2020 - 11:18 AM

I'm a little late to this one but i'm currently waiting for my FET after an egg collection last month. I was at risk with OHSS but i'm struggling with being patient and also going between being super hopeful to being super anxious and a bit depressed. FET for me will be mid march which feels like an eternity!
Can anyone relate or am i actually going mad?

Edited by 34and46, 26 February 2020 - 11:18 AM.

#22 IamOzgirl

Posted 27 February 2020 - 11:37 AM

I can relate!

I just got my protocol for my FET (and possible last chance)

I am doing a full medicated cycle including a down reg portion so I have to wait 2 cycle.

I am very frustrated and said. But I wanted to throw everything at this last chance. So I have to take a moment to allow and then move on. We are allowed to be disappointed.

#23 34and46

Posted 27 February 2020 - 11:43 AM

OzGirl, we're all with you wishing that this one is THE one. Sound words of wisdom, sometimes you have to feel it before you can move on properly.

Have you started your medicated cycle? Wishing you all the best - especially during the wait!

#24 IamOzgirl

Posted 28 February 2020 - 08:48 AM

Thanks 34 - 46

I have high hopes, my 'success' if you can call it that. was after a d&C and was my 4th and final embie.

I am currently waiting for my period after the D&C last week (on CD12) and then in my next cycle i start the down reg.

So 2 periods and 2 Ovulation to happen before transfer.

If everything goes to plan my app says my next transfer will be just after easter.

If my body behaves.

#25 34and46

Posted 28 February 2020 - 10:14 AM

OzGirl, The days are flying by so hopefully the wait wont be awful!
Here's hoping everything goes perfectly to plan and we can all celebrate by eating chocolate eggs in your honour.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.