Finding a girls name to go with our surname

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 daisybelle22

Posted 29 January 2020 - 10:39 AM

I'm not sure if I'm just being crazy, but it seems that every girls name I like clashes with our surname. Sounds like Healy for those playing along...

Our front runner is Daphne, is this a mouthful?

Other names we (well, me, DH just says no to everything):
Wilhelmina/Willa
Flora
Lorna
Eloise
Laurel
Cecilia

We're looking for something that isn't too out there (doesn't raise any eyebrows!), a name people have heard of but may only know one, and something with meaning.

Any suggestions?

#2 eponee

Posted 29 January 2020 - 11:14 AM

The two 'eee' endings might be a bit of a mouthful, but that may not worry you

I love Eloise.  Bridget will go well and isnt a name that people hear too often

Edited by eponee, 29 January 2020 - 11:15 AM.

#3 alias grace

Posted 29 January 2020 - 11:15 AM

I feel you OP, DH has a long surname ending with a hard 'ee' sound and it felt like every girl's name we liked clashed with it!

My DD's name is on your list and others we considered were:

Greta
June
Clara
Lucinda (although would likely get shortened to Lucy)
Claudia
Freya
Odette
Alice (probably a bit too popular)

Personally, I think Daphne Healy sounds a bit too rhymey but wouldn't rule it out if you really like it.

Oh yes, PP, Bridget is a great name and was on my list also but DH vetoed.

Edited by alias grace, 29 January 2020 - 11:22 AM.

#4 Kreme

Posted 29 January 2020 - 11:20 AM

I wouldn’t choose anything ending in an ee sound with that surname. I think Eloise sounds perfect and it’s my favourite from your list.

#5 daisybelle22

Posted 29 January 2020 - 11:28 AM

View Postalias grace, on 29 January 2020 - 11:15 AM, said:

I feel you OP, DH has a long surname ending with a hard 'ee' sound and it felt like every girl's name we liked clashed with it!

My DD's name is on your list and others we considered were:

Greta
June
Clara
Lucinda (although would likely get shortened to Lucy)
Claudia
Freya
Odette
Alice (probably a bit too popular)

Personally, I think Daphne Healy sounds a bit too rhymey but wouldn't rule it out if you really like it.

Oh yes, PP, Bridget is a great name and was on my list also but DH vetoed.

Thank you! We seem to have the same taste in names. I love June, Odette & Alice but are all vetoed for different reasons. My first name ends in an 'ee' sound and it's not the best (I still use my maiden name a lot)

#6 got my tinsel on

Posted 29 January 2020 - 12:01 PM

I love Daphne but wouldn't do it with the double 'ee' sounds.

What about:

April

Edith

Primrose

If your surname has two syllables like Healy, perhaps a three syllable first name?

Marigold

Rosalind

Jessamine

Emerald

#7 Sarzie

Posted 29 January 2020 - 12:12 PM

Delphine maybe

#8 FreyjaCatherine22

Posted 29 January 2020 - 01:29 PM

Daphne is a little awkward. Eloise is nice. Some other suggestions (nicknames could end in 'ee' though):

Alanna/h
Abigail
Elena
Madeline
Isabel
Annika
Arielle
Camilla
Carissa or Clarissa
Eleanor
Gwendolen
Cassandra
Miranda
Vivienne
Iris
Violet
Florence

#9 Gudrun

Posted 29 January 2020 - 02:15 PM

My pick from that list is Daphne.  Depends on the actual surname but there are no other shared sounds apart from the final one with the example you give and to me it works.  You know, like Buddy Holly etc.

The other options are all trippy because of the 'L' sounds.

So without driving yourself crazy over this I would ask myself with each option, "Is the combo difficult to say?".

If no leave it in, if yes take it out.

Magda
Martha
Rose
Primrose
Winsome
Cynthia

Edited by Gudrun, 29 January 2020 - 02:21 PM.

#10 zenkitty

Posted 29 January 2020 - 02:25 PM

I think it’s the double ‘ee’ in the surname that makes it tricky. Daphne Really is harder to say than Daphne Rolly. It’s not a dealbreaker (and I love the name Daphne) but I would consider names without the ‘ee sound and see if something feels like it fits. I like Eloise too.

Others:
Winifred (Winnie)
Cosima
Florence
Jacinta
Rosalind
Philippa (Pip/Pippa)
Caitlin
Jane
Edith
Lucinda
Genevieve
Delilah

#11 caitiri

Posted 29 January 2020 - 03:10 PM

What about
Priscilla or just Cilla
Astrid
Adaline

#12 Islander

Posted 29 January 2020 - 03:14 PM

Margot!

#13 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 29 January 2020 - 04:01 PM

I like Daphne. It's my aunt's name and I have always loved it.

Other options

Petta

Quinn

Alexis

Nora

Rebecca

Emerson

Jocelyn

Vivienne

Madeleine

Maddison

Avril

Rhiannon

Esther

Priscilla

#14 rowd

Posted 29 January 2020 - 05:25 PM

I think it sounds totally fine. I feel like we sometimes get a little hung up on first name last name flow. For my current pregnancy we chose our favourite name, which didn't flow as well as our other front runners, but we love it. When it comes down it, whether you love the first name is more important than how it sounds with the last name.

#15 kerilyntaryn

Posted 29 January 2020 - 05:42 PM

I think it is fine

I love Eloise.  Lorna is ok,  Laurel is ok,  Lauren or Laura would be lovely too

I dont like Cecilia,  nor its meaning

Abigail, Phaedra, Portia, Primrose, Alisa, Amanda, Bianca, Genevieve, Vivienne, Cassandra, Vanessa, Josephine, Juliet, Gwendolyn, Charlotte, Delphine, Claire, Clara, Amelia, Alison, Arabella, Annabel, Beatrice, Caroline, Carolina, Celeste, Chantal, Chelsea, Eliza, Alice, Annalise, Anastasia, Erin, Miriam, Susannah, Evelyn, Jacqueline, Ava, Eva, Jessica, Julia, Jennifer, Kathleen, Grace, Ingrid, Felicity, Katrina, Fiona, Gabrielle, Lillian, Lucinda, Leah, Lisa, Leticia, Lara, Larissa, Katherine, Katrina, Lorelei, Leilani, Megan, Marguerite, Melissa, Priscilla, Rebekah, Samantha, Nicole, Michelle, Ruth. Lydia

#16 daisybelle22

Posted 30 January 2020 - 08:15 AM

Thanks everyone!

Primrose and Delphine were also on my extended list (I just don't think DH would ever go for them). And Margot is a lovely suggestion.

Will keep thinking about it. Daphne is pretty much the only name we are agreeing on. I should mention our surname starts with a hard sound, so Daphne Really was a good comparison.

Thanks again!

#17 Apageintime

Posted 30 January 2020 - 08:41 AM

I think if you can find something without the ee sound at the end.

Greta
Clara
Ruth
Harriet
Vivian

I love love Daphne so much so if it's all you're agreeing on it'll be fine though. I know 2 Daphne and they go by Daph anyway

#18 kerilyntaryn

Posted 19 February 2020 - 06:40 AM

Anyone updates on your shortlist?

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.