Neighbours cameras and drones

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 ~ Ohana~

Posted 28 January 2020 - 07:06 PM

We live in suburbia and had new neighbors recently move in. We’ve not yet met them, although I have met their 2 little boys. When they moved in they had security cameras installed, however one camera is directed toward our yard and our toilet window. I’ve felt uneasy about it, particularly because we have 2 meter fences so our yard has always been super private. The kids regularly run around with no clothes on, which hasn’t ever been an issue. Anyway, now they’ve started flying a drone in their backyard, which I’m sure isn’t allowed as it’s within meters of our kids in the backyard. There are also a lot of helicopters above Us at the moment due to bushfires, so not ideal. I’m not great with confrontation, so how do I approach this?

#2 kadoodle

Posted 28 January 2020 - 07:35 PM

If you’re comfortable doing it; it’s essential to point out that firefighting aircraft can’t operate when there’s drones in the air. If you’re not, then drop a note in their mailbox. Dobbing them in to the relevant authorities is also an option. What they’re doing is illegal and dangerous.

*edit, spelling*

Edited by kadoodle, 28 January 2020 - 07:36 PM.

#3 Christmas tree

Posted 28 January 2020 - 07:38 PM

I think you need to seperate the issues. I would definitely tackle the camera one first. I think that you just raise straight up. That is you’ve noticed it is aimed towards your yard and wonder if they could adjust it.

The drones I understand to be annoying but I would let go until the camera is fixed. Honestly unless it is super exp they break so easily it may be forgotten when school goes back.

#4 kadoodle

Posted 28 January 2020 - 07:46 PM

Sorry, I misread it as the drone also had a camera.

Draw the curtain/blind in your toilet? Ask them to point their cameras away from your house?

#5 Caribou

Posted 28 January 2020 - 07:53 PM

Isn’t flying drones illegal? Check with the local (non emergency) police number. They can advise way better what to do about the two issues.

#6 just roses

Posted 28 January 2020 - 08:26 PM

Flying drones isn’t illegal but it is regulated.

OP, they can’t legally fly it within 30m of anyone (except the person piloting it) and they definitely can’t fly overhead of any people.

#7 littlepickle

Posted 28 January 2020 - 08:56 PM

I can’t walk down my own driveway without 4 sets of cameras from four different houses filming me - we are in a culdesac. It is highly probable that one of our neighbours also has a camera down the side of their house which would look into our back garden if we hadn’t already grown some high trees. What is this obsession all about?
I would have a chat and request that they angle the security camera down so that it doesn’t overlook your fence line.

#8 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 28 January 2020 - 09:01 PM

Check out this website for drone legalities - https://www.casa.gov...ASAAEgIOxvD_BwE

I would start with the camera. Maybe just ask them to move the direction it’s pointed in and explain why- naked kids, your toilet is in that direction and so on.

If that goes ok, maybe you could lead into the drone thing.

Or you could just take a video of the drone usage and report them. Many fines are handed out because neighbours film their use or the people using them upload videos to social meadow outing themselves.

#9 Romeo Void

Posted 28 January 2020 - 09:02 PM

We've put in security cameras as we have a crazy neighbour. We were told we can't have them pointing directly at their home, we have is angled up the driveway but it does take in their yard and the side of their house. If it's pointed directly at your place they should move it.

Edited by Romeo Void, 28 January 2020 - 09:03 PM.

#10 Tinky Winky Woo

Posted 28 January 2020 - 09:18 PM

There are rules about flying drones in the ACT.  They might be using it to video the fire situation right now.  But I would not like it at all.

#11 MadMarchMasterchef

Posted 28 January 2020 - 09:30 PM

View PostRomeo Void, on 28 January 2020 - 09:02 PM, said:

We've put in security cameras as we have a crazy neighbour. We were told we can't have them pointing directly at their home, we have is angled up the driveway but it does take in their yard and the side of their house. If it's pointed directly at your place they should move it.

That was going to be my question - is it pointed actually at your place, or was that just in the periphery?

#12 Tokra

Posted 28 January 2020 - 09:39 PM

View Postlittlepickle, on 28 January 2020 - 08:56 PM, said:

What is this obsession all about?

In my area we have a few little sh*thead teenagers going around breaking into houses and cars. Police recommend using cameras.

#13 Romeo Void

Posted 29 January 2020 - 07:00 AM

View PostPoolsideMasterchef, on 28 January 2020 - 09:30 PM, said:

That was going to be my question - is it pointed actually at your place, or was that just in the periphery?
One is pointed in the direction of her house but angled down towards her driveway.  The camera takes in quite a wide view so even not pointing directly at her house we can see it. Just the centre of the screen is the driveway if that makes sense. It would be hard to tell which direction it's pointed in as it's the circular type camera.

#14 TheGreenSheep

Posted 29 January 2020 - 07:34 AM

View PostCaribou, on 28 January 2020 - 07:53 PM, said:

Isn’t flying drones illegal? Check with the local (non emergency) police number. They can advise way better what to do about the two issues.
No drones are not illegal.
They are regulated by CASA and that is the appropriate authority to contact, not the police. CASA take their job very seriously. Drones are most certainly NOT permitted to fly during fires due to the threat to aircraft.

#15 Hollycoddle

Posted 29 January 2020 - 08:41 AM

View PostTokra, on 28 January 2020 - 09:39 PM, said:

In my area we have a few little sh*thead teenagers going around breaking into houses and cars. Police recommend using cameras.

Despite the fact cameras don't actually do anything to stop criminal activity. Their presence doesn't deter it and the offenders are usually unidentifiable.

#16 Squeekums The Elf

Posted 29 January 2020 - 08:58 AM

We have cameras, you cant get on our property without us catching an image.
None face at a house but on our gates, doors, driveway and in corners you can see edge of neighbors or the tyres on main road.

Gives us a sense of security when we go on holiday.
In a small town we know who the trouble is, you can pick them a mile off.
Ours also so clear you can read small text on boxes, small logos on clothes, dirty number plates and see great detail in faces.  The cameras literally a WISH cheapy but work so bloody well

So many times they also saved me a walk up the back to find the dog, i just check the cameras

#17 MessyJ

Posted 29 January 2020 - 09:09 AM

View PostHollycoddle, on 29 January 2020 - 08:41 AM, said:

Despite the fact cameras don't actually do anything to stop criminal activity. Their presence doesn't deter it and the offenders are usually unidentifiable.

I disagree - they are a deterrent (sure - not for the very determined, but in the same way that things that make the property less of a target are), faces, number plates and other identifying things can be seen and they can certainly help prove events such as parcels being stolen, people being on the property etc.

They are also very useful for properties who run small businesses from home who get a lot of parcels delivered or people to the door etc.

#18 Romeo Void

Posted 29 January 2020 - 11:28 AM

In our case it's to catch the neighbour up to no good and it's definitely done that.
For robbery etc honestly I think a big 'security' sticker on the door and a 'beware of the dog' sign is the best security, next to bars on the windows/doors.

#19 Squeekums The Elf

Posted 29 January 2020 - 12:40 PM

View PostRomeo Void, on 29 January 2020 - 11:28 AM, said:

In our case it's to catch the neighbour up to no good and it's definitely done that.
For robbery etc honestly I think a big 'security' sticker on the door and a 'beware of the dog' sign is the best security, next to bars on the windows/doors.

Funnily enough, since we put ours up our elderly neighbour hasnt just appeared in the backyard or walked past our bedroom window or had things like a rake or shovel go missing

He isnt the reason we put them up

#20 MadMarchMasterchef

Posted 29 January 2020 - 02:23 PM

Theres been a lot of sharing of camera footage on my local fb group as we have had big problems with people breaking into cars and sheds and on some occasions people have been able to get descriptions of the offender's cars.

Its a double edged sword, gives people a heads up but might also cause innocent people to be doubted. Some of the stuff I see posted is like 'watch out - man riding bicycle suspiciously on xyz street'....   really guys?

Edited by PoolsideMasterchef, 29 January 2020 - 04:07 PM.

#21 Ruf~Feral~es

Posted 29 January 2020 - 03:13 PM

Our neighbour has security cameras, one of which points towards the corner of our house.  (Not near windows or anything though).  When we had a home invasion one night, the police took the footage of the guy from his camera.

We then installed our own, with a crossover in several areas, so that we cover some of the neighbours blind spots and his cameras cover some of ours.  So if someone ever jumps from one garden to the next, the whole fenceline is covered by one or the other.

Having said that - we have a good relationship with him.  (He actually helped DH install our cameras, as he'd done his himself).  

OP - can you ask them to show you what can be seen?  If you have a 2m fence, maybe they can't actually see anything anyway?  Once you build a relationship with them, you could then maybe bring up the drone thing?

#22 MadMarchMasterchef

Posted 29 January 2020 - 04:08 PM

View PostRomeo Void, on 29 January 2020 - 11:28 AM, said:

Im curious what your neighbour was doing, if you dont mind saying.  Presumably stealing your stuff?

#23 kitkatswing

Posted 30 January 2020 - 09:46 AM

View PostSqueekums The Elf, on 29 January 2020 - 08:58 AM, said:

We have cameras, you cant get on our property without us catching an image.
None face at a house but on our gates, doors, driveway and in corners you can see edge of neighbors or the tyres on main road.

Gives us a sense of security when we go on holiday.
In a small town we know who the trouble is, you can pick them a mile off.
Ours also so clear you can read small text on boxes, small logos on clothes, dirty number plates and see great detail in faces.  The cameras literally a WISH cheapy but work so bloody well

So many times they also saved me a walk up the back to find the dog, i just check the cameras

You wouldnt have the link would you?? Im on the hunt for cameras...

#24 Squeekums The Elf

Posted 30 January 2020 - 10:22 AM

I

View Postkitkatswing, on 30 January 2020 - 09:46 AM, said:

You wouldnt have the link would you?? Im on the hunt for cameras...

Shall have a look for ya

They on ebay
this is one we got but there so many to pick from
https://www.ebay.com...&frcectupt=true

Edited by Squeekums The Elf, 30 January 2020 - 10:32 AM.

#25 Romeo Void

Posted 30 January 2020 - 10:36 AM

View PostPoolsideMasterchef, on 29 January 2020 - 04:08 PM, said:

Im curious what your neighbour was doing, if you dont mind saying.  Presumably stealing your stuff?
Lots of stuff but the things we wanted the camera for was to catch her throwing stuff at the house.  She'd graduated to pelting eggs, at the walls, skylight etc. We got the camera's when she connected with a leadlight window and broke it.  The police said they couldn't do anything as we didn't *see* her do it so couldn't prove it was her.  We'd be in bed and we'd hear something crash on the tin roof. The noise was shocking and our nerves were completely frayed.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.