Which European city?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 25 January 2020 - 10:31 AM

The plan is to fly into Europe for our family ski holiday next January, but we haven’t pick which city to fly into. We want somewhere that either there or close by we can spend a few days getting the kids into the right time zone (last time the kids spent the first few days waking at 3am). There need to be some good activities we can do as a family - kids will be 3 and 6.

We are thinking of flying into Lyon, Milan or Geneva, but DH has also suggested London (I was less keen but could be talked into it).

#2 MarciaB

Posted 25 January 2020 - 10:57 AM

What about Paris instead of Lyon?

We recently flew into Munich - we flew with Emirates - I would totally do it again - the flight was not busy (packed between Sydney/Dubai - but we each had our own row Dubai/Munich) and Munich airport is quick to get into the City.

#3 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 25 January 2020 - 01:04 PM

View PostMarciaB, on 25 January 2020 - 10:57 AM, said:

What about Paris instead of Lyon?

We recently flew into Munich - we flew with Emirates - I would totally do it again - the flight was not busy (packed between Sydney/Dubai - but we each had our own row Dubai/Munich) and Munich airport is quick to get into the City.

Only we did Paris last time! Plus it’s an annoying distance to the ski areas we are going to, a 7 hour drive from memory. So it either makes more sense to fly closer, or further away like London and then fly closer (then drive). Milan/Lyon/Geneva would all put us within a few hours drive of where we need to get to.

#4 MooGuru

Posted 25 January 2020 - 01:16 PM

My frequent flyer friends prefer Munich and Helsinki. Munich has been voted best European airport multiple times from memory.

#5 MarciaB

Posted 25 January 2020 - 01:47 PM

View PostMooGuru, on 25 January 2020 - 01:16 PM, said:

My frequent flyer friends prefer Munich and Helsinki. Munich has been voted best European airport multiple times from memory.

Munich airport was definitely a great option for us - this time and would totally do it again.

OP - I missed the part where you mentioned what ski field you were going to?

Vienna might be another option for you - but again it depends where you are actually going

#6 Lifesgood

Posted 25 January 2020 - 03:09 PM

Another vote for Munich. Or an alternative would be Milan. Where are you skiing?

#7 carls888

Posted 25 January 2020 - 04:04 PM

Milan airport is pretty good. I do love the city and also the nearby Turin, if you wanted to extend your stay. Or even head to Verona? Milan airport is much easier to navigate than Rome or Paris, which are crazy.

#8 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 25 January 2020 - 04:31 PM

View PostLifesgood, on 25 January 2020 - 03:09 PM, said:

Another vote for Munich. Or an alternative would be Milan. Where are you skiing?

Not sure exactly yet - but in the region of the three valleys, les arcs, etc.

#9 Anonforthistime

Posted 25 January 2020 - 04:39 PM

Munich and Milan are both good. Malpensa was quite busy while Linate was closed but still very efficient.
Depending on the airline you prefer, sometimes i find Munich a little cheaper and better availability.
Depending on where you are headed for skiing, the Bavaria train tickets are good value as kids in the family go free - from memory as far as Salzburg is included as well.

#10 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 25 January 2020 - 06:41 PM

I should add that it’s less about the ease of the airport and more about places to stay and things to do nearby.

#11 littlepickle

Posted 25 January 2020 - 06:52 PM

We flew into Munich and spent 4 nights there adjusting to the time zone. Plenty of things to do in the city and day trips on the train. Also the only city of the trip where there was snow in the city in December.
I guess it would be highly dependent on which airline you choose as to your entry and exit options..

#12 Jersey Caramel

Posted 25 January 2020 - 11:18 PM

We found Munich a more pleasant city to spend a few days than Milan. Not that it really matters in the scheme of things,  but we flew in/out of Milan and found we had very long queues for immigration in both directions.  We went straight on to Venice though (?2 ish hours by train) and that was a great place to hang out for a few days to get over jet lag - lots of walking. It was December and we had the place virtually to ourselves.

#13 QuirkyMum

Posted 25 January 2020 - 11:39 PM

There will be plenty to see in Lyon ( Roman artefacts/museum, getting to the cathedral on awesome train(?), Cathedral and the view and just the old town and the modern CBD and just walking the streets... Kids will spend one whole day in Roman museum plus getting there is an adventure. Food and street entertainment and atmosphere in the old town, even a 3 year old will be entertained. But how are you flying there? Any airlines fly there direct from Dubai/Abu Dhabi/ Singapore/ wherever you are flying in from Au?
Anyways if there are convinient flights and you Google "Lyon safe neighbourhoods" and stay somewhere safe, it can be a very good option. We really enjoyed our stay there ( I'm not into Roman history at all but even I was impressed that in Lyon and surroundings, their historical sites ( from Roman times) were better preserved than in Italy (Rome especially), archeological museum my husband dragged us into cost 4 euro and it had more stuff and in better condition than sites in Rome ( and it was inside and cool and pram friendly and kids friendly and we spent most of the day there and even family members who hates museums still remember how good it was)
Milan should be a good option because it is major ( maybe not a hub but) airport and it should be safer ( in terms of missed connections) to fly into. You'll find things to do. But I'd check where exactly you are driving to ski ... If staying in Milan, it won't mean driving St Bernards pass?
With Geneva - could be very convinient for you(and ridiculously expensive) and again I'd check where you are skiing ( try Google maps with tolls roads ON and off for both Geneva and Lyon).
If there are direct flights and again depending on where you are skiing, maybe Turin is an option?
Good luck! How exciting for you!

#14 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 26 January 2020 - 12:40 AM

Thanks QuirkyMum! Sounds like Lyon would be a great option. It’s probably the most practical too.

DH has flown in and out of Lyon many times and always found it an easy airport, and we will be flying out of Perth and probably on Emirates. DH loves planning trips, it’s pretty much his hobby and he’s very good at it (travelling with him is easy).

#15 night jasmine

Posted 26 January 2020 - 04:34 AM

I’d fly into Geneva then drive a couple of hours to Chamonix for skiing. Geneva is expensive but so beautiful, you could base yourselves there for a few days or do day trips to nearby towns along the lake and to Annecy in France, a gorgeous, picturesque medieval town. The Swiss countryside and drive to the alps is just incredible.

#16 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 26 January 2020 - 08:11 AM

View Postnight jasmine, on 26 January 2020 - 04:34 AM, said:

I’d fly into Geneva then drive a couple of hours to Chamonix for skiing. Geneva is expensive but so beautiful, you could base yourselves there for a few days or do day trips to nearby towns along the lake and to Annecy in France, a gorgeous, picturesque medieval town. The Swiss countryside and drive to the alps is just incredible.

Yes, we have spent a lot of time in the region and driven that route regularly. However with two young children we are not wanting to drive straight to where we are skiing. We had a lovely lunch in Annecy once, so certainly would be interested in staying there. Are there many things for the kids to do in the area?

#17 bubskitkat

Posted 26 January 2020 - 08:24 AM

Frankfurt?

#18 MooGuru

Posted 26 January 2020 - 10:35 AM

Munich is a lovely city. I have friends in Rosenheim (half way between Salzburg and Munich) and their young kids are always doing something exciting.

#19 night jasmine

Posted 26 January 2020 - 10:01 PM

View Post22Fruitmincepies, on 26 January 2020 - 08:11 AM, said:

Yes, we have spent a lot of time in the region and driven that route regularly. However with two young children we are not wanting to drive straight to where we are skiing. We had a lovely lunch in Annecy once, so certainly would be interested in staying there. Are there many things for the kids to do in the area?
I’ve only travelled in the area without kids so I don’t know about child friendly activities there sorry. However, I find with travelling generally that away from obvious kid attractions like theme parks, we just take the kids sightseeing, we go to parks and gardens, hang out at the lake, try different foods etc

#20 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 26 January 2020 - 10:45 PM

We’ve only really done it pre-kids too. If only mine would try new foods... :lol:
I’m mostly interested in some activities including indoor ones is to help keep them occupied during the day to help acclimatise them. Last time we did Disney, which DD loved, but it’s ridiculously expensive and I don’t want her thinking that sort of thing is normal. We’ll go again when DS is old enough. But it really worked to keep DD going all day. Also some indoor things in case it’s inclement weather.

#21 2bundles

Posted 27 January 2020 - 07:10 AM

A few days in Dubai?
I don’t find the jet lag too bad on the way to Europe. Just up early and bed early.

#22 eachschoolholidays

Posted 28 January 2020 - 07:29 PM

Emirates and Qatar fly direct to a heap of European cities. I’d just pick somewhere that had direct flights to the closest airport to the ski fields you want to go to.

#23 Lifesgood

Posted 28 January 2020 - 08:45 PM

We just had ten days skiing in Corvara, in the Dolomites. I don’t know if we will ever ski anywhere else again!

#24 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 29 January 2020 - 01:06 AM

View Posteachschoolholidays, on 28 January 2020 - 07:29 PM, said:

Emirates and Qatar fly direct to a heap of European cities. I’d just pick somewhere that had direct flights to the closest airport to the ski fields you want to go to.

Yes, Lyon or Geneva, with Milan not much further. I’m interested in things to do in those cities (or random other thoughts too, I like the ideas).

#25 Let-it-go

Posted 29 January 2020 - 09:45 AM

Lyon is AMAZING!  

Such an underrated fabulous city.  We flew in there a few years back direct from Australia and it was ideal.  The Dubai-Lyon leg is only 6.5hrs so very doable after the horrible long leg to Dubai.  It was great landing in a non crazy airport (as opposed to the stress of Paris or London) although the drive from airport to city is quite long.  We just took a taxi.

Lyon is beautiful, one of food capitals of France, the food market is just to die for.  Beautiful art gallery, plenty to keep everyone amused for a few days and to adjust in a smaller city.  The people are really friendly and just so happy to have tourists.  It’s a wonderful wine area too so lots of smaller unknown appellations to try.

I can’t recommend Lyon enough.  We spent 10 days there, I could have stayed for a month and just soaked up French life.

Edited by Let-it-go, 29 January 2020 - 09:46 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.