COVID-19 coronavirus

• Please log in to reply
1663 replies to this topic

#1 Ozquoll

Posted 24 January 2020 - 10:43 PM

Anyone else wondering if this is going to be the big one, a global pandemic? China has now locked down a number of cities, with populations totalling about 35 million people. They are building a 1000 bed hospital, due to be completed in only ten days. So far there have been 26 deaths from around 800 people infected.

Not sure whether to be glad the Chinese government is tackling this illness vigorously, or to wonder if they are taking these drastic steps because it is actually more serious than they are letting on 🤔

https://www.news.com...f5edb50ac4967e4

Edited by Ozquoll, 12 February 2020 - 08:32 AM.

#2 purplekitty

Posted 24 January 2020 - 10:59 PM

I've no doubt that the Chinese Government is censoring and withholding information about the outbreak.

Worrying is Trump has defunded the very agencies who monitored and react to biological outbreaks,

#3 AsperHacker

Posted 24 January 2020 - 11:07 PM

I don't have the ability to think globally, yet. And I'm not one for *hysteria*. But, I'm very slightly concerned about potentially infected travellers entering Australia. I'm anticipating my concern to increase as I learn more. Based on previous experience, I'm going to go with yes. It's going to be a pandemic. China is not known for its disclosure.

#4 Demera

Posted 24 January 2020 - 11:23 PM

When I first saw the story on tv and they showed all the effort China was putting in to research and contain it, but that it hadn't transferred human to human, my bullsh*t radar went off immediately.  I'm quite sure they already knew it was going from person to person and the outbreak was far worse than they were letting on. So it was no surprise to hear a few days later that it was going human to human.

I hope they contain it soon but I'm  genuinely worried it will get  to Australia.

Edited by Demera, 24 January 2020 - 11:24 PM.

#5 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 25 January 2020 - 12:02 AM

View PostDemera, on 24 January 2020 - 11:23 PM, said:

I hope they contain it soon but I'm  genuinely worried it will get  to Australia.

It’s possibly already in Australia.

4 in NSW and 2 in Qld are waiting in results.

https://www.sbs.com....us-in-australia

Edited by ~Jolly_F~, 25 January 2020 - 12:06 AM.

#6 born.a.girl

Posted 25 January 2020 - 06:07 AM

I can't help but be impressed at them shutting down a city the size of Wuhan, but also acknowledge that Chinese media would be way down on the list of countries whose media I'd trust.

I can't begin to imagine the chaos this is causing to many of those affected.

I do find it easy to believe what they say, that at this stage those who've died have had co-mobidities, which would be similar to flu seasons here, excluding the last few.

If significant % of those infected die, when they were otherwise healthy, it will be truly frightening.

Between smoke and infection, I did wonder if wearing a mask was going to become so commonplace as to be the norm.

#7 WaitForMe

Posted 25 January 2020 - 06:16 AM

Based on what I've read so far, it does sound like they are withholding info but are more forthcoming than previously - so they've improved but not perfect.

#8 gracie1978

Posted 25 January 2020 - 06:55 AM

The timing with the new year celebrations is terrible.

If it was the other way around China would have banned all flight arrivals from Australia.

Between the measles cases popping up, the fires and now this... It's a scary time to have newborn babies :(

#9 skicat

Posted 25 January 2020 - 07:14 AM

Are the numbers of dead kept relatively low simply because the chinese doctors over there aren't "allowed" to give the diagnosis of coronovirus?

#10 born.a.girl

Posted 25 January 2020 - 07:22 AM

View PostDemera, on 24 January 2020 - 11:23 PM, said:

When I first saw the story on tv and they showed all the effort China was putting in to research and contain it, but that it hadn't transferred human to human, my bullsh*t radar went off immediately.  I'm quite sure they already knew it was going from person to person and the outbreak was far worse than they were letting on. So it was no surprise to hear a few days later that it was going human to human.

The non-Chinese expert speaking on the Guardian said exactly the same thing: that originally it was thought (hoped) that everyone who had it, had caught it directly from animals - not an unreasonable assumption I'd have thought with a virus that doesn't even have a name.

Much as I don't trust what we hear coming out of China, that doesn't mean that everything they say is untruthful.

https://www.theguard...fect-25m-people

#11 **Xena**

Posted 25 January 2020 - 07:40 AM

4 of the Australian people tested have come back negative which is good. Queensland researchers are working on a vaccine which I found pretty cool. They seem pretty confident that they will have one in a few months so I hope it's true.

#12 laridae

Posted 25 January 2020 - 07:53 AM

I think it will be ok, well, at least for us in an isolated part of Australia. Must be horrible for those people in Wuhan though.  I hope they come up with a vaccine soon.

#13 seayork2002

Posted 25 January 2020 - 08:25 AM

I wonder they they need to say how many are being tested unless they are positive of having it, does it benefit anyone saying '20 tested in Nsw' (made up example).

Sure if 20 people actually have it

#14 bubskitkat

Posted 25 January 2020 - 08:33 AM

27 have died but is that the true figure? One needs to question if all those whom have been affected have sough medical treatment and diagnosis. The true figure could be a lot higher.

#15 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 25 January 2020 - 08:38 AM

As much as I think the North Koeran leadership is absolutely nuts, the decision to close the borders ( they mainly have Chinese tourists anyway) is absolutely the right one. They don't have the resources to deal with an outbreak.

#16 Dadto2

Posted 25 January 2020 - 08:44 AM

View PostOzquoll, on 24 January 2020 - 10:43 PM, said:

Anyone else wondering if this is going to be the big one, a global pandemic? China has now locked down a number of cities, with populations totalling about 35 million people. They are building a 1000 bed hospital, due to be completed in only ten days. So far there have been 26 deaths from around 800 people infected.

Not sure whether to be glad the Chinese government is tackling this illness vigorously, or to wonder if they are taking these drastic steps because it is actually more serious than they are letting on

https://www.news.com...f5edb50ac4967e4

Yeah it's a bit scary. Highly contagious, a doctor caught it through his eyes as he wasn't wearing eye protection.

#17 Ozquoll

Posted 25 January 2020 - 08:45 AM

View Postseayork2002, on 25 January 2020 - 08:25 AM, said:

I wonder they they need to say how many are being tested unless they are positive of having it, does it benefit anyone saying '20 tested in Nsw' (made up example).

Sure if 20 people actually have it
Word always gets out anyhow - the authorities probably deem it better to tell the public what is going on.

#18 3rd time lucky

Posted 25 January 2020 - 08:46 AM

Can’t figure out if it’s worse than China are admitting, or if it’s a complete media overreaction 🤷🏻‍♀️

Obviously it’s new therefore a lot still unknown, but not actually a high death rate compared to say the standard flu. And so far reports are those dying are elderly/ vulnerable. (Not to say those lives aren’t important - but obviously a disease is more frightening if it kills healthy youngish adults??)

Must be very frightening for those in China regardless. I think in this day and age of international travel, it’s near impossible to stop diseases spreading globally.

Time will obviously tell.

#19 Dadto2

Posted 25 January 2020 - 08:48 AM

https://www.dailymai...tifcation-small

#20 Dadto2

Posted 25 January 2020 - 08:49 AM

View Post3rd time lucky, on 25 January 2020 - 08:46 AM, said:

Can’t figure out if it’s worse than China are admitting, or if it’s a complete media overreaction ‍♀️

The fact China is locking down entire cities is pretty concerning!

#21 IamzFeralz

Posted 25 January 2020 - 09:05 AM

View PostDadto2, on 25 January 2020 - 08:49 AM, said:

The fact China is locking down entire cities is pretty concerning!

It’s actually a smart move. Chinese New Year involves the largest mass movement of humans in the world as many people return to home towns and villages for family gatherings.   You can imagine how much impact the virus would have in those conditions.

#22 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 25 January 2020 - 09:11 AM

The building a hospital in 10 days specifically for this is why has me thinking this is way worse than they are letting on.

#23 AnythingGoes

Posted 25 January 2020 - 09:20 AM

The official death rate is 3% (as of yesterday with 26 deaths in 830 acknowledged cases). Compared with 1% for seasonal flu.

However it's too early to get a good idea of the actual death rate - it's too early into the outbreak.

#24 Ozquoll

Posted 25 January 2020 - 09:20 AM

View Post3rd time lucky, on 25 January 2020 - 08:46 AM, said:

Obviously it’s new therefore a lot still unknown, but not actually a high death rate compared to say the standard flu. And so far reports are those dying are elderly/ vulnerable. (Not to say those lives aren’t important - but obviously a disease is more frightening if it kills healthy youngish adults??)
Actually it is higher than ordinary flu - scroll down to the second last chart on this link showing flu deaths and infections in Australia in 2016 and 2017. In both years the mortality rate for people infected with flu was about 0.5%.

https://www.abs.gov.... to influenza~5

This article has a discussion on how it compares with the devastating 1918 flu pandemic.

https://fox61.com/20...issing-context/

#25 Ozquoll

Posted 25 January 2020 - 09:23 AM

View PostIamzFeralz, on 25 January 2020 - 09:05 AM, said:

It’s actually a smart move. Chinese New Year involves the largest mass movement of humans in the world as many people return to home towns and villages for family gatherings.   You can imagine how much impact the virus would have in those conditions.
Yeah, my Chinese neighbours have gone back to Shenzhen for Chinese New Year. I hope they're okay...and I hope they don't bring coronavirus back with them 🙏!

27 user(s) are reading this topic

4 members, 13 guests, 10 anonymous users

Living Type, twokidsonedog, SLD1, born.a.girl

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.