Jump to content

Possible speeding fine


  • Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 missminx

Posted 24 January 2020 - 09:37 PM

I had an odd experience today with the police.  I pulled up at the traffic lights alongside a police car.  The police officer motioned at me to roll down my window and when I did, he asked me to pull over after the lights and said he wanted to chat to me about a few things.

I did this and the police officer checks my licence, my car and asks me to do a breathalyzer test.  All good.  He then says he noticed I was speeding earlier and we have a chat about the speed zones in the area.  He is being super polite and taking the time to explain things properly.  I genuinely wasn't aware I was speeding and I thought he was going to either let me off with a warning or write me a ticket on the spot, but he said he would need to look into the speeding in more detail and I *might* get a fine in the mail and that I was free to go.

Is this usual practice these days?  Obviously, if I was speeding I was doing the wrong thing and I will pay the fine, but my thoughts are that the police would have pulled me over with lights and sirens and issue a fine on the spot?

#2 JRA

Posted 24 January 2020 - 09:42 PM

that sounds odd.

#3 hills mum bec

Posted 24 January 2020 - 09:46 PM

That’s a bit odd.  I got pulled over for speeding once and the police officer said that he had run out of fine forms in his pad so he would post it to me.  I never got the fine and I have a feeling that he just told me he would send it to scare me into driving slower.  Could be the same, he wants you to think that you might get a fine so that you pay better attention to your speed in the future.

#4 chillipeppers

Posted 24 January 2020 - 09:57 PM

It’s all automated now. They don’t issue you with a paper fine anymore. It comes to you in the mail. Well at least that’s what happened to me a few months ago.

#5 missminx

Posted 24 January 2020 - 10:15 PM

Thanks for the replies, I guess I will see what comes in the mail.

#6 JRA

Posted 24 January 2020 - 10:19 PM

View Postchillipeppers, on 24 January 2020 - 09:57 PM, said:

It’s all automated now. They don’t issue you with a paper fine anymore. It comes to you in the mail. Well at least that’s what happened to me a few months ago.

well there you go, i had no idea

#7 QuisbySchmoo

Posted 24 January 2020 - 10:32 PM

They do still issue on the spot fines. (NSW, a couple of months ago.)

#8 zenkitty

Posted 24 January 2020 - 10:38 PM

View Postchillipeppers, on 24 January 2020 - 09:57 PM, said:

It’s all automated now. They don’t issue you with a paper fine anymore. It comes to you in the mail. Well at least that’s what happened to me a few months ago.

I got a paper, on the spot fine a few months back (Victoria). I also got a very lovely explanation on how to apply for a caution instead of a fine, the police officer was strongly encouraging me to apply even though it was indisputable that I was in the wrong! So I guess there is an element of discretion in some cases.

#9 AsperHacker

Posted 24 January 2020 - 10:44 PM

On the spot paper fines are still a thing but digital on the spot fines are a thing too, no sirens and lights necessary. It's not weird that you didn't get a fine, it's weird that he said he'd think about it. I'd be inclined to think you won't get one but wouldn't be surprised if you'd do.

#10 missminx

Posted 25 January 2020 - 06:28 AM

I found the whole experience odd.  He introduced himself first off, which I have never experienced before and then he introduced his colleague who gave me the breathalyzer test.  My experience of being pulled over is that police get straight into business rather than exchange pleasantries.  He was so polite throughout the whole exchange, which I have never seen before either.

Both police officers seemed pretty young, so perhaps they are tougher once they have more experience.  

Anyway, we'll see what comes in the mail. Interesting to hear of others experiences with being pulled over!

I'm in Vic if there are differences across the states.

Edited by missminx, 25 January 2020 - 06:28 AM.


#11 eachschoolholidays

Posted 25 January 2020 - 06:39 AM

I wonder if he wanted to double check what the speed limit in that area was?

#12 Ivy Ivy

Posted 25 January 2020 - 08:28 AM

I've only been pulled over 4 times (all when I was younger and drove less safely than I do now) and all 4 times there was a lengthy chat.  Including asking about my profession, where I was going, all sorts of non-speeding related interaction, etc.  

They let me off most of the time though I was clearly in the wrong.

Edited by Ivy Ivy, 25 January 2020 - 08:29 AM.


#13 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 25 January 2020 - 08:33 AM

The few times I have been pulled over the police officer always introduces themselves and explains what is happening, plenty of pleasantries. Always polite while doing their job.

The fact that most wear body cameras these days also probably means that they are nicer than they may have been in the past.

#14 amdirel

Posted 25 January 2020 - 08:43 AM

Last time I was pulled over they introduced themselves first up and also informed me that everything was being recorded on their body cams. He explained everything about what I did wrong (which was freaking ridiculous) and told me that I would be receiving a fine in the mail.

So the only thing I find weird OP is the 'might' receive a fine. I wonder if he is going to let you off with a warning but still wants to scare you.

#15 missminx

Posted 25 January 2020 - 09:38 AM

The last time I was pulled over was about 4 years ago and there was no pleasantries (but not rude either).  So looks like lots of things have changed since then.

I wasn't told I was being recorded but I guess if it does happen, it makes sense if things get taken to court or the police themselves worry about misconduct investigations.

Anyway, politeness and exchanging pleasantries is something I would hope continues, makes things much easier to deal with.

Edited by missminx, 25 January 2020 - 09:39 AM.


#16 Soontobegran

Posted 25 January 2020 - 09:44 AM

View Postchillipeppers, on 24 January 2020 - 09:57 PM, said:

It’s all automated now. They don’t issue you with a paper fine anymore. It comes to you in the mail. Well at least that’s what happened to me a few months ago.

Not so. I can unfortunately tell the sad story I got a piece of paper.
They are automated when you go through a fixed camera.

#17 Soontobegran

Posted 25 January 2020 - 09:48 AM

View Postmissminx, on 25 January 2020 - 06:28 AM, said:

I found the whole experience odd.  He introduced himself first off, which I have never experienced before and then he introduced his colleague who gave me the breathalyzer test.  My experience of being pulled over is that police get straight into business rather than exchange pleasantries.  He was so polite throughout the whole exchange, which I have never seen before either.

Both police officers seemed pretty young, so perhaps they are tougher once they have more experience.  

Anyway, we'll see what comes in the mail. Interesting to hear of others experiences with being pulled over!

I'm in Vic if there are differences across the states.


You were speeding, possibly not by much. They pulled you over to warn you to take care, the breathalysier will be because they have a requirement to do so.
You will not get a fine if you have a good driving history. If you have made a habit of speeding then you may receive one.

#18 chillipeppers

Posted 25 January 2020 - 09:49 AM

View PostSoontobegran, on 25 January 2020 - 09:44 AM, said:



Not so. I can unfortunately tell the sad story I got a piece of paper.
They are automated when you go through a fixed camera.
they must have both options because two months ago I was pulled over and he told me it will be sent to my mail

#19 Soontobegran

Posted 25 January 2020 - 10:00 AM

View Postchillipeppers, on 25 January 2020 - 09:49 AM, said:

they must have both options because two months ago I was pulled over and he told me it will be sent to my mail

Had you gone through a fixed camera or were they using their own radar? Have you received it? If not then you might be lucky. The fines in Victoria come to you very promptly.

My daughter also got one just a couple of weeks ago....it was written and given to her then and there.

I was driving in a 60 km zone and I looked ahead and saw an 80 sign about 100 metres in front of me so stupidly I started to accelerate too early so by the time I got to the 80 sign I was doing 70kms. Lesson learned that my car's acceleration is touchy.
They were parked in a side street facing the road just before the 80 sign and came after me. I am sure they made a killing that day...

Edited by Soontobegran, 25 January 2020 - 10:05 AM.


#20 chillipeppers

Posted 25 January 2020 - 10:11 AM

View PostSoontobegran, on 25 January 2020 - 10:00 AM, said:



Had you gone through a fixed camera or were they using their own radar? Have you received it? If not then you might be lucky. The fines in Victoria come to you very promptly.

My daughter also got one just a couple of weeks ago....it was written and given to her then and there.

I was driving in a 60 km zone and I looked ahead and saw an 80 sign about 100 metres in front of me so stupidly I started to accelerate too early so by the time I got to the 80 sign I was doing 70kms. Lesson learned that my car's acceleration is touchy.
They were parked in a side street facing the road just before the 80 sign and came after me. I am sure they made a killing that day...
no fixed camera. he was using his own Radar

#21 steppy

Posted 25 January 2020 - 01:59 PM

I'd complain if I got a fine. I'd be like - so if I pulled up behind the police car I wouldn't have got a fine?

#22 born.a.girl

Posted 25 January 2020 - 02:10 PM

View Poststeppy, on 25 January 2020 - 01:59 PM, said:

I'd complain if I got a fine. I'd be like - so if I pulled up behind the police car I wouldn't have got a fine?


Not getting a fine when we're over the limit is just jolly good luck.

We can't very well complain when we get caught.

So often I look down and it's crept up a bit and I have to drop back (current car is hard to keep constant for some reason).  If I, and everyone got fined automatically every time we went 2k over the limit, the riches from fines would be massive.

#23 steppy

Posted 25 January 2020 - 02:12 PM

View Postborn.a.girl, on 25 January 2020 - 02:10 PM, said:

Not getting a fine when we're over the limit is just jolly good luck.

We can't very well complain when we get caught.

So often I look down and it's crept up a bit and I have to drop back (current car is hard to keep constant for some reason).  If I, and everyone got fined automatically every time we went 2k over the limit, the riches from fines would be massive.

Yep, and if nobody ever broke the law, something legal would become illegal or something else would get very expensive. I suspect what would happen if everyone got fined when they did something wrong, 80% of the population would lose their licences within a month and nobody would be able to get to work anymore.

Edited by steppy, 25 January 2020 - 02:16 PM.


#24 born.a.girl

Posted 25 January 2020 - 02:15 PM

View Poststeppy, on 25 January 2020 - 02:12 PM, said:

Yep, and if nobody ever broke the law, something legal would become illegal or something else would get very expensive.


What's that got to do with being caught speeding?

In reality, be great if we all got caught every time.  Might stop those who make a habit of it.

I mean seriously - you can't really mean that it's not fair that you got a fine for speeding, because if they weren't there, you wouldn't have got a fine?

That applies to all speeding fines.  Sounds like a skit the Monty Python blokes would do well.

#25 steppy

Posted 25 January 2020 - 02:22 PM

View Postborn.a.girl, on 25 January 2020 - 02:15 PM, said:

What's that got to do with being caught speeding?

In reality, be great if we all got caught every time.  Might stop those who make a habit of it.

I mean seriously - you can't really mean that it's not fair that you got a fine for speeding, because if they weren't there, you wouldn't have got a fine?

That applies to all speeding fines.  Sounds like a skit the Monty Python blokes would do well.

No, I mean it's stupid that they probably wouldn't have bothered fining or talking to OP if she'd pulled up 2 cars behind them instead of next to them. Sounds like they didn't really care that much except they got an opportunity.




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

 

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

 
Advertisement
 
Advertisement
 
 
 

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

 

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

 
Advertisement
 
 
Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.