photos/videos of your own kids naked?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 tenar

Posted 24 January 2020 - 12:44 PM

Does anyone know what the law is in australia around taking photos or videos of your children when naked.  For example swimming naked or similar.

How about emailing those photos/videos to someone?

(Not going to post them online...)

#2 Grassisgreen

Posted 24 January 2020 - 01:45 PM

I don’t know the law.

But why would you? If they exist they should be deleted. They shouldn’t be taken in the first place. We live in a world where it’s just not safe for this material to exist. You never know what will happen to it.

#3 tenar

Posted 24 January 2020 - 02:12 PM

View PostGrassisgreen, on 24 January 2020 - 01:45 PM, said:

I don’t know the law.

But why would you? If they exist they should be deleted. They shouldn’t be taken in the first place. We live in a world where it’s just not safe for this material to exist. You never know what will happen to it.

Why wouldn't I?  If the kids are happy naked (sometimes it's hard to get them clothed...), if they asked me to video them  (they did).

As much as I want to keep them safe and would never share their images inappropriately, I also don't want them to think there is something wrong with the way they look.

There is absolutely nothing inappropriate with what they were doing or who they were doing it with, but I am aware that sharing such photos, for example airdropping them to DH, is legally a grey area, in some countries.  I don't know what the law is in Australia.

#4 Hands Up

Posted 24 January 2020 - 02:14 PM

I don’t know the law.

What a ridiculous response. We have naked photos of the kids as toddlers and babies, in the bath and so on. I have no intention of deleting them.

Edited by Hands Up, 24 January 2020 - 02:16 PM.

#5 No Drama Please

Posted 24 January 2020 - 02:27 PM

Wouldn’t be emailing or texting any naked photos of kids to anyone personally, for everyone’s sake. No matter how cute or innocent they seem to you.

#6 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 24 January 2020 - 02:31 PM

I listened to a talk by a bloke high up in the federal
Police who is involved in these investigations and he said that any kind of naked photo of a child could be an issue for the person in possession. He did say that they don’t generally prosecute parents for them unless there is other evidence but that sharing them via text and email was not a good idea.

So while I can’t tell you the exact law, I do know roughly where this would fall though, I am going to believe a guy who does this kind of thing for a living when he says that naked photos of kids can be a potential issue for those in possession of them.

Edited by ~Jolly_F~, 24 January 2020 - 02:32 PM.

#7 **Xena**

Posted 24 January 2020 - 02:52 PM

At this stage it's legal for you to have nude photos of your own children as long as they aren't purposefully posed to be sexually exploitative or used for sexually exploitative reasons.

#8 Kallie88

Posted 24 January 2020 - 02:54 PM

I would assume that if you put something (eg. digital sticker) over genitalia then it would be ok to send, but probably best not to send originals. Though it would probably be safer still just to show your partner or perhaps close family in person or not at all.
My kids are nudists atm lol, we'd barely have any photos if we didn't take any when they're naked. But we wouldn't send them around and I generally edit to hide genitals if they're showing. Definitely something to be mindful of though

#9 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 24 January 2020 - 02:57 PM

So I take a cute photo or video of my 3yo doing something hilarious to show my husband later and he just happened to be nude when he did it (because 3yo) then I'll lose my career for it?

Or if I sent it my sister interstate, that's not ok?

I think things are getting ridiculous. Intent makes all the difference.

#10 Bigbaubles

Posted 24 January 2020 - 03:03 PM

I don’t know the law.

What the...

I wouldn't have too many photos of one of mine if that was the case and my parents would have absolutely no photos of me before the age of 10 as I almost never wore clothes..

#11 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 24 January 2020 - 03:06 PM

I don’t know the law.

Do you seriously have no pics of your kids naked? Ever?

This is an extreme reaction.

You don’t need to be this extreme but aware that there are potential issues that could arise but that is unlikely to happen if they are for your own person use and you aren’t distributing them out to every Tom, d*ck and Harry....

#12 seayork2002

Posted 24 January 2020 - 03:25 PM

Being naked is a hobby for my son but no I can't say we have ever taken a photo of him naked

(Better add it is a statement of fact not a brag thing)

Edited by seayork2002, 24 January 2020 - 03:26 PM.

#13 Silverstreak

Posted 24 January 2020 - 03:59 PM

Not sure what the law is. We have a few newborn and first bath baby photos etc but they're amongst the rest of our family photos on our desktop computer and I don't post them online, or email them to others, even other family members. For me personally, these photos are for immediate family only. I'm very mindful of DS' privacy and have high security settings on my Facebook.

#14 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 24 January 2020 - 03:59 PM

I haven't taken any nudes of DS either, mainly because of the current climate. My sister made a huge fuss when my mum took a photo of DS and my nephew were in the bath together. It's just easier not to take those photos.  I know personally my parents have some old school film camera photos nudes of my sister and I. I find it a bit uncomfortable and once they come into my pocession, will most likely destroy them and the negatives. No, I am not a prude and was a nudist as a child. I just don't want them going anywhere out of my control.

#15 Riotproof

Posted 24 January 2020 - 04:03 PM

I wouldn’t share them in any way and I wouldn’t have them on display.

I don’t think I have any naked naked, probably some bath shots but with genitalia concealed.

#16 Oriental lily

Posted 24 January 2020 - 04:07 PM

I think I have a couple of all my five kids naked floating about . Plus my mum has photos of me  naked .

surely society still can navigate obvious intent ?

i guess Anna Gedds must be out of business these days .

#17 Jingleflea

Posted 24 January 2020 - 04:50 PM

I'm FB friends with one of DD's old teachers. She's posted naked photos of her baby on there once or twice.

I feel like I should say something, but then I also feel like she should know better, being a primary teacher who should have done training(I'm guessing) on cyber safety and child safety as part of her degree.

i only have one or 2 pictures of DD naked as a baby/toddler.
And they never go on FB or get shown to anyone else. Not even sure Dh has seen them lol.

#18 Riotproof

Posted 24 January 2020 - 04:54 PM

View PostOriental lily, on 24 January 2020 - 04:07 PM, said:

I think I have a couple of all my five kids naked floating about . Plus my mum has photos of me  naked .

Well, photos are not what they used to be. They are endlessly editable, reproducible, transferable and it’s all instant.
So intent has nothing to do with it, the potential for misuse is huge.

#19 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 24 January 2020 - 04:59 PM

View PostOriental lily, on 24 January 2020 - 04:07 PM, said:

They weren’t ever really naked naked photos though. I don’t remember ever seeing genitals in those pics?!

Images on a device with cloud storage is risk. It is something to consider with photos of your kids especially naked ones.

To be honest I am surprised people say they don’t have any naked pics of their kids - I thought it was pretty normal to get first bath shots and that kind of thing but this is EB, so there is always extremes :lol:

Edited by ~Jolly_F~, 24 January 2020 - 05:06 PM.

#20 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 24 January 2020 - 05:02 PM

i certainly have pics of my babies naked - in the bath, at hospital etc - DS2 was a Feb drop so it was very hot he was naked quite a lot. i also did photos of them as toddlers naked, in paddling pools in our backyard - i would have shared on FB. no intentional full frontal nudity, lots of butt cheek shots. i certainly wouldn’t take photos of them naked now.

#21 Chocolate Addict

Posted 24 January 2020 - 05:05 PM

Not sure why you would need/want to send them to your partner, but maybe text them? or load them to a cloud like drop box.

I only have a couple of my kid but they are for my eyes only. Never been emailed or put on the socials.

Actually, I did, my kid had stripped off and put stickers ALL over his body (including genitals) lol I did put it on facebook but did put block out the rude bits.

#22 kimasa

Posted 24 January 2020 - 05:14 PM

I definitely don't have naked photos of my kid, my parents didn't have any of me naked either. I really don't get why you would?

If I did I would most certainly not be distributing them digitally. Not my body, not my choice.

Edited by kimasa, 24 January 2020 - 05:42 PM.

#23 **Xena**

Posted 24 January 2020 - 05:45 PM

View Postkimasa, on 24 January 2020 - 05:14 PM, said:

I definitely don't have naked photos of my kid, my parents didn't have any of me naked either. I really don't get why you would?

My babies came out naked and we got photos.

#24 kimasa

Posted 24 January 2020 - 05:47 PM

*shrugs* I can't say I had my phone out when I was on the operating table.

Edited by kimasa, 24 January 2020 - 05:48 PM.

#25 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 24 January 2020 - 05:51 PM

View Postkimasa, on 24 January 2020 - 05:47 PM, said:

*shrugs* I can't say I had my phone out when I was on the operating table.

no, but my anaesthetist did. he was quite the photographer - missed his vocation in life! they were great pics to look back on.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.