Coin trolleys and other disappearances (Friday fluff)

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 seayork2002

Posted 24 January 2020 - 11:50 AM

bit of a spin off from the retro food thread

Not saying they have dissapeared for everyone but I don't remember the last time I put a coin in a shopping trolley to remove it from the line.

What else have noticed has disappeared?

#2 lozoodle

Posted 24 January 2020 - 11:54 AM

Opposite here, more coin trolleys than ever.

#3 Riotproof

Posted 24 January 2020 - 11:58 AM

Don’t you go to aldi?

they even have some at Coles now, particularly the higher ones with the narrow basket.

#4 seayork2002

Posted 24 January 2020 - 12:00 PM

View PostRiotproof, on 24 January 2020 - 11:58 AM, said:

Don’t you go to aldi?

they even have some at Coles now, particularly the higher ones with the narrow basket.

Good point about Aldi, we go sometimes but usually just run in, so not sure at the ones we go too

I am surprised we don't have the coin ones as our street is full of trolleys they might get more returned if they had a coin thing

#5 gemgirl

Posted 24 January 2020 - 12:14 PM

In Canberra, all trolleys are now coin operated to release  :(

#6 Paddlepop

Posted 24 January 2020 - 12:29 PM

My local shopping centres have a perimeter locking system where if you take the trolley outside a set perimeter (generally the footpath at the edge of the shopping centre) a wheel will lock up and you can't move the trolley. It's hugely reduced the number of abandoned trolleys in the streets because you simply can't push them anywhere beyond that perimeter. No need for coin trolleys.

The only time I've ever used a coin trolley is at Aldi.

#7 Mooples

Posted 24 January 2020 - 12:47 PM

Most of my local coles/woolies have coin release trollies, only one or two have the wheel lock device.

#8 seayork2002

Posted 24 January 2020 - 12:49 PM

View PostPaddlepop, on 24 January 2020 - 12:29 PM, said:

My local shopping centres have a perimeter locking system where if you take the trolley outside a set perimeter (generally the footpath at the edge of the shopping centre) a wheel will lock up and you can't move the trolley. It's hugely reduced the number of abandoned trolleys in the streets because you simply can't push them anywhere beyond that perimeter. No need for coin trolleys.

The only time I've ever used a coin trolley is at Aldi.

Yes I have seen the sign about no trolleys past this point but has the theory been tested physically? as one day when I was bored waiting for a bus DS and looked at a trolley and tried to work out how it would actually work

DH just rolled his eyes :smile:

#9 Paddlepop

Posted 24 January 2020 - 12:56 PM

seayork: One of the front wheels has a very wide locking device on it. The wheel is unmistakably different to the other three wheels. There's a wire laid around the whole shopping centre that is usually cut down in the footpath so you might see a very fine cut in the footpath concrete. Once the wheel goes over that wire it locks up. I assume it's magnetic. Trolley collectors have a device to unlock the wheels so they can retrieve the trolleys. It definitely works.

#10 BECZ

Posted 24 January 2020 - 02:44 PM

The only ones I see these days are at our local f/v shop and a meat warehouse that we go to.

Don’t know much about the wheel lock trolleys, but a friend of mine used to rent a house next to a big shopping centre car park and the nature strip out the front of her house was always full of trolleys as that’s as far as the trolleys would go apparently.

Edited by BECZ, 24 January 2020 - 02:45 PM.

#11 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 24 January 2020 - 02:48 PM

The lockable trolleys work, I was parked at the edge of a carpark and two young girls were trying to push a huge trolley of stuff to another carpark across the road. The minute they pushed the trolley out of the designated area it locked up. They tried for a bit to get it going but they couldn’t. I gave them a lift with all their stuff to their car.

As for coin trolleys I haven’t seen them in ages.

#12 Kreme

Posted 24 January 2020 - 02:55 PM

My Woolies only has coin trolleys. It’s no surprise that almost all abandoned trolleys in our suburb are from Coles.

#13 Mose

Posted 24 January 2020 - 03:34 PM

I avoid anywhere with the coin trolleys.

They irk me on so many fronts.

1) I personally seldom have coins
2) (and more importantly) there are plenty of people for whom the last $2 in their wallet is the difference between a loaf of bread or no loaf of bread.  If it's stuck in the trolley, the last loaf of bread they wanted can't be purchased.  And yes, there are lots of time and effort consuming solutions to the problem, but the person I just described is already struggling to pay for that loaf of bread - do the supermarkets need to make it harder for them?

#14 Lesley225

Posted 24 January 2020 - 03:43 PM

A lot of places around me introduced them then Abandoned it.  Not sure why as it really worked and I wished they kept it up.  You can buy tokens to use

#15 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 24 January 2020 - 03:49 PM

My local small Coles still does. DH ordered a trolley key off the internet. It's what the trolley returners use. Best ever. Never have a coin stuck or worse , put a coin in and the lock part won't come out.

#16 melbun

Posted 24 January 2020 - 03:52 PM

Woolies have tokens (they give you for free) that stick in a little holder on a key ring, I have one in my handbag and the other on the strap of my insulated bag.

All the supermarkets I shop in are coin trolleys.

#17 AKAmum

Posted 24 January 2020 - 03:52 PM

Only coin trolley I have encountered lately is at a Dan Murphy’s.

They give you a free coin token key ring to use when you visit.

#18 Mose

Posted 24 January 2020 - 04:00 PM

View Postmelbun, on 24 January 2020 - 03:52 PM, said:

Woolies have tokens (they give you for free) that stick in a little holder on a key ring, I have one in my handbag and the other on the strap of my insulated bag.

All the supermarkets I shop in are coin trolleys.

The trouble I have with the "free token" thing is that you need to be sufficiently organised to actually have it with you,  and generating more environmentally damaging junk (all of ours have ended up in the bin or lost somewhere) to solve a problem that the supermarket created in the first place.

Which brings me back to the unfairness of the original problem (needing to have a coin which many don't whether because of convenience of because of financial constraints).

The locking wheels are a way better solution in my opinion, because they are an amendment to something the supermarket has anyway (the trolley) and don't cause inconvenience to the customer unless you try to do something that you aren't supposed to do anyway (take the supermarket's property outside of designated boundaries).

#19 got my tinsel on

Posted 24 January 2020 - 04:04 PM

My local IGA (huge store) has coin-release trolleys and they have not long replaced them all with bright shiny new trolleys, still with coin-release.

#20 laridae

Posted 24 January 2020 - 04:04 PM

Ours used to. They'd give you a free token on a keyring to use.
Then they got rid of them and I've not seen any for years.

Edited by laridae, 24 January 2020 - 04:05 PM.

#21 BECZ

Posted 24 January 2020 - 04:11 PM

When the Coles store I worked at many moons ago did a big refurb. and changed to coin trolleys, we gave out the token key rings (the case goes on your key ring and the token clicks in and out of the case as required) for the first few weeks, so most customers were pretty happy with that.

It saves a lot of abandoned trolleys, many that end being dumped in waterways etc.

Just remembered that one of the IGA’s around here still has coin trolleys.  Rarely go there and very rarely get a trolley if we do, but I remember a bit of a funny story from one day we went there.  
Their car park is on quite a slope and there was this lady, I’m guessing a grandmother, trying to juggle getting a child into a car seat, while holding the trolley at the same time.  As we were walking towards her I saw her try to hold it with one hand, then tried to hold it with her foot, nope that wasnt going to work either.  I clearly and loudly told my kids (no way the lady couldn’t have heard me) to go inside with dad, I’m just going to help this lady.  Well, she gave me this horrid look as in, WTH do you want, then I said, “Just holding the trolley for you.” Well, she let me hold the trolley (she let go of it), she shoved the child into one arm, quickly grabbed her handbag with the other and shoved it in her car, then put the child in the car seat (all while giving me side glances) and finally put her groceries in the car.  I then left her to it and as I walked away, she said, “there’s was no coin in my trolley anyway!”  Did she really think was what I was just after?!  Not just someone helping out a person struggling with a child and trolley!

Edited by BECZ, 25 January 2020 - 04:49 AM.

#22 BECZ

Posted 24 January 2020 - 04:18 PM

Sorry, that post took a while for me to actually post it as I got waylaid and I repeated what many had said in regards to the tokens.  I know they are still a pain, but we just usually left ours in the car ashtray, so not hard to go back and get if you need3d it.

#23 SummerStar

Posted 24 January 2020 - 04:28 PM

We don't have any shops with coin trolleys near us. Don't remember the last time I saw one come to think of it. I don't shop at aldi though and don't plan to so I am not sure if they have them or not.

#24 Jingleflea

Posted 24 January 2020 - 04:45 PM

All of Canberra's trolleys are coin release.

You can buy tokens that stick on the keyring from Aldi or Ebay or use the woolies ones(which I use). Some of them you don't even leave in the trolley, but unlock and then use.

I have heard of the odd person (usually an older man for some reason) who will insist Woolies unlocks one for them free, but that's rare.

Like taking reusable bags it's become second nature now here.

It's illegal to abandon a trolley anywhere which is why they brought in the coin ones. They go back in the right spot 99% of the time.

#25 seayork2002

Posted 24 January 2020 - 04:50 PM

View PostJingleflea, on 24 January 2020 - 04:45 PM, said:

All of Canberra's trolleys are coin release.

You can buy tokens that stick on the keyring from Aldi or Ebay or use the woolies ones(which I use). Some of them you don't even leave in the trolley, but unlock and then use.

I have heard of the odd person (usually an older man for some reason) who will insist Woolies unlocks one for them free, but that's rare.

Like taking reusable bags it's become second nature now here.

It's illegal to abandon a trolley anywhere which is why they brought in the coin ones. They go back in the right spot 99% of the time.

I started this as a fluffy thread but i wish taking trolleys was illegal around me i think they have employed a full time driver and vehichle to collect them as i see them in my street most morning and around about other times i think we are going to start to say hello to each other soon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.