Centrelink CCS debt - I feel sick

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 mcejuan

Posted 22 January 2020 - 02:11 PM

Hi everyone

Well today I received the dreaded Centrelink letter that I’ve apparently been overpaid for CCS last year.

My husband and I were separated for part of the year. No doubt this will have something to do with it. But we recommended our relationship and I have ALWAYS updated Centrelink about our relationship and incomes because I was petrified of them! Plus I always overestimated.

My payments were balanced in September and I got $1200 back so I thought great, it’s all worked out.

Except now they’ve said no, I owe $1700.

How could this have been calculated?

I can’t sort it out until at least tomorrow and I now have to go to work and I feel so sick and stressed about it. I’m actually shaking. I don’t know how I’ve screwed this up.

#2 But seriously

Posted 22 January 2020 - 02:20 PM

try not to panic. This happens more than you'd think and it can be sorted.

#3 mcejuan

Posted 22 January 2020 - 02:20 PM

You’re right, but gosh it’s hard not to

#4 IamtheMumma

Posted 22 January 2020 - 03:16 PM

Call them up and make a payment plan. I could give you the names of a dozen other parents at childcare that had the same thing happen. The system is stuffed.

#5 LeggyBlonde

Posted 22 January 2020 - 03:42 PM

Seriously helpful resources here: http://www.legalaid....inks-robo-debts

I would NOT ask for a payment plan, use the form letter linked here to ask for a review: http://www.legalaid....do-i-get-review

You can even do it after you have paid a Robodebt, so if you had any doubts about the calculations or records, go ahead.

#6 LeggyBlonde

Posted 22 January 2020 - 03:45 PM

I will add you can even initiate the complaint and review request in myGov and upload the form letter, so you don't have to wait on hold to Centrelink for hours at all!

You can ask an ARO to review the decision:
  • In person at your local Centrelink office
  • By phone by calling the number on the Accounts payable notice
  • Online via your myGov account by clicking on 'Complaints' and in the free text box note that you want a review by an ARO. Or you can download the Review of decision form from the Centrelink website
  • In writing to Centrelink, Reply Paid 7800, Canberra BC ACT 2610. See the sample letter for more information
  • By fax 1300 786 102.

#7 IamtheMumma

Posted 22 January 2020 - 03:54 PM

It’s not a robodebt if it’s a CCS overpayment.

https://www.legalaid...awful-robo-debt

#8 BadCat

Posted 22 January 2020 - 04:01 PM

View PostLeggyBlonde, on 22 January 2020 - 03:42 PM, said:

I would NOT ask for a payment plan, use the form letter linked here to ask for a review: http://www.legalaid....do-i-get-review

You can even do it after you have paid a Robodebt, so if you had any doubts about the calculations or records, go ahead.

Waste of time.  CCS is not robodebt.

#9 mcejuan

Posted 22 January 2020 - 04:08 PM

Sorry, maybe robodebt was the wrong term to use.

I still must have a review because I don’t understand how they have calculated it. Everything has always been correct. I don’t know what I could have done wrong and how it can say 6 months ago they owed me money and then want money back.

#10 NeedSleepNow

Posted 22 January 2020 - 04:44 PM

hugs, that’s very stressful
If it does turn out to be genuine, you can ask for a very slow payment plan. A friend was overpaid $5k worth of CCS and they allowed her to pay it back at a rate of $30 per week, and I’m fairly sure it’s just taken from her current CCS.

#11 born.a.girl

Posted 22 January 2020 - 05:05 PM

View PostLeggyBlonde, on 22 January 2020 - 03:42 PM, said:

Seconding it's not a robodebt, despite the insistence of a poster on previous thread.

A robodebt is created as a result of attempting to match information which cannot actually be matched, no matter how hard anyone tries.

#12 born.a.girl

Posted 22 January 2020 - 05:07 PM

View Postmcejuan, on 22 January 2020 - 04:08 PM, said:

Sorry, maybe robodebt was the wrong term to use.

I still must have a review because I don’t understand how they have calculated it. Everything has always been correct. I don’t know what I could have done wrong and how it can say 6 months ago they owed me money and then want money back.

It wasn't you who called it a robodebt.  You quite rightly just called it a debt.

#13 BadCat

Posted 22 January 2020 - 05:16 PM

It doesn't need to be "reviewed" as such.  Just explained in the first instance.  Give them a call and ask them to check out why you have a debt.  If the explanation is not satisfactory, then appeal it.

Which is perhaps what you meant by review in the first place, in which case, sorry for flogging the dead horse.  :)

Edited by BadCat, 22 January 2020 - 05:18 PM.

#14 afterlaughter

Posted 22 January 2020 - 05:27 PM

I would be specifically asking what information was added to change their calculation of the Ccs, for them to issue a new one they must have been updated with extra info. You can then argue against it if it’s not correct.

#15 mcejuan

Posted 22 January 2020 - 06:14 PM

View Postafterlaughter, on 22 January 2020 - 05:27 PM, said:

I would be specifically asking what information was added to change their calculation of the Ccs, for them to issue a new one they must have been updated with extra info. You can then argue against it if it’s not correct.

That’s what I can’t understand. I did just go back to work two weeks ago but I went in and updated it at the centre the day I started. I’m just baffled by this and it’s deterred me from working if they are just going to claim money back every year.

#16 mcejuan

Posted 22 January 2020 - 08:06 PM

View Postafterlaughter, on 22 January 2020 - 05:27 PM, said:

I’m 90 percent sure it’s related to my activities test. That’s all I changed two weeks ago when I started my new job, and they were having trouble erasing my last activities test which was studying part time. That’s the only recent change.

#17 Toby123

Posted 22 January 2020 - 08:16 PM

You can do a payment plan. I underestimated my income due to a redundancy and owed $4000. Paying it off over 12 month monthly instalments.

#18 Grrrumbles

Posted 22 January 2020 - 09:52 PM

Did your husband just do his tax return. Is it possible that they balanced you as single the first time. Do you get other payments? If so some people get caught out updating their status for income support and not family assistance.

#19 lozoodle

Posted 22 January 2020 - 10:17 PM

I got one too, $1100. Boooooo They sent me a letter saying they'll just withhold 20% of my CCS so I'm ignoring it haha

I under estimated big time :(

Edited by lozoodle, 22 January 2020 - 10:17 PM.

#20 mcejuan

Posted 22 January 2020 - 11:32 PM

View PostToby123, on 22 January 2020 - 08:16 PM, said:

You can do a payment plan. I underestimated my income due to a redundancy and owed $4000. Paying it off over 12 month monthly instalments.

That sounds ok, I just hate the idea of this hanging over my head especially when I don’t know how I stuffed up. We had plans to pay off other debt this year by me returning to work so it’s ruined that!

#21 mcejuan

Posted 22 January 2020 - 11:36 PM

View PostGrrrumbles, on 22 January 2020 - 09:52 PM, said:

Did your husband just do his tax return. Is it possible that they balanced you as single the first time. Do you get other payments? If so some people get caught out updating their status for income support and not family assistance.

No we did our tax in July last year and everything balanced fine in September/October. The only change was two weeks ago when I updated my activities test to back to work. The letter even says “we’ve received new information”. It’s got to be something to do with that I’m sure!

#22 afterlaughter

Posted 23 January 2020 - 11:40 AM

View Postmcejuan, on 22 January 2020 - 11:36 PM, said:

No we did our tax in July last year and everything balanced fine in September/October. The only change was two weeks ago when I updated my activities test to back to work. The letter even says “we’ve received new information”. It’s got to be something to do with that I’m sure!

Mistakes can happen though maybe they have updated activity test wrong and applied it for wrong time frame. Don’t take the word of Centrelink for the debt make sure you question it before paying it.

#23 Demera

Posted 23 January 2020 - 11:50 AM

We got a letter that we owed CCS due to underestimating our income. My husband is a farmer and his income varies wildly so this is bound to happen from time to time. Anyway, I didn't take note of the due date so I hadn't paid it, and then got a letter to say they will just take it from our child care payments ongoing until it's paid. So that's fine, I'll just leave it at that.

#24 Amica

Posted 23 January 2020 - 02:21 PM

But seriously, on 22 January 2020 - 02:20 PM, said:

try not to panic. This happens more than you'd think and it can be sorted.

It can be but difficult.

I have been trying to contact CL for the past 5 days due to a similar issue but can't get through. This morning I phoned on opening, stayed on hold for 90 minutes, then 'accidentally' got hung up on as soon as they picked up the phone. It is near impossible to sort anything.

#25 mcejuan

Posted 01 February 2020 - 04:30 PM

Just an update for anyone following along-

It seems to be because of my daughters late vaccinations. At 4 months old, she came down with a bad virus and was due for a round of vaccinations that my GP refused to do until she was better. She’s been late for each batch by about 4-6 weeks ever since, by the standard schedule. The thing is, no one told me she had to get put on a “catch up schedule”. All I knew was that she couldn’t get them on the normal dates because she has to be behind. So, she technically wasn’t eligible for the childcare subsidy while she wasn’t on the standard schedule!

Now I have to wait for the appeal to go through for them to make the decision offical, before I can find out if they will excuse this because seriously, I didn’t know about it and it’s not like we refused to vaccinate her, it was on medical grounds and no doctor or nurse told me about these catch up schedules. I’ll just keep appealing because surely they can’t make me pay a debt when medically she wasn’t allowed to have them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.