Paid parental leave work test.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 MumOfFun

Posted 22 January 2020 - 12:22 PM

Hi all.
Just found out I’m pregnant with No.2.  
Just wondering if the brains might be able to help.
I returned to work back in August. I’m a massage therapist and Pilates instructor.
I work at a large clinic and have 1 regular class per week and 2 massage appointments so 3 hours all up but the appointments don’t always fill. I have also done some fill in instructing so some weeks I worked 7 hours at the clinic. I will most likely start another day with maybe 1 permanent class and another 2 treatments. At home I work 1 day a week and am available from between 10am and 5pm on that day for massages. I think since starting back at work I have treated on average 2-3 clients per week but I don’t really understand what is classed as work when at home. The total hours I’m available? Or just the time I spend with my clients even though I have to wash towels write notes have discussions with the clients re their treatments. Set up massage room and clean at end of the day. So while I might only be averaging 2-3 hours hands on I’m doing far more per week.
Also to meet the work test the 330 hour can that be over the entire 13 months or does it have to be just in 10 months? Because changes the average hours per week by quite a bit. So for emails if I’m due 30th sept 2020’ and work every week from the 4th sept 2019 and work right up until 4 weeks before the baby is born then I would have work around 27.5 hours a month but if it’s just 10 months then it’s 33hours per month.
Its all so confusing.
I’m asking here because I really don’t want to be on hold for ages just to find out and you can’t email. I tried sending a message through Facebook but I’m not sure that worked

#2 Jersey Caramel

Posted 22 January 2020 - 12:54 PM

It's 330 hours in the 10 month period, but the 10 months can be 10 out of the 13 months before baby is born (if you take a period of leave in the middle for example).

For the day that you are self employed at home,  you should count all the hours you work on your business - not just client contact hours. Paperwork,  accounting,  washing towels,  making appointments,  banking, cleaning the equipment etc are all part of your business and count as work.

Good luck working it all out!

#3 MumOfFun

Posted 22 January 2020 - 01:20 PM

Jersey Caramel, on 22 January 2020 - 12:54 PM, said:

It's 330 hours in the 10 month period, but the 10 months can be 10 out of the 13 months before baby is born (if you take a period of leave in the middle for example).

Thanks for your reply. This still leaves me a little confused. I understand that I can take a period of leave off during the 13 months but I’m trying to work out if say I don’t take time off what my weekly or monthly average hours would need to be. Does the 330 count for the entire 13 months or only 10 of those months?
So say for example someone worked an average of 25.4 hours per month from from the 13 months, with no time off, before the baby is born and works right up until the day before the baby is born are they still eligible for PPL because they work 330 hours in that 13 month period. Or because in they didn’t work 330 hour in a period of 10 months or less are they ineligible?

i hope that makes sense.
I just trying to work out how many hours I should aim for per week. Because I only work part time I’m unlikely to have many weeks off. So I need to know if all the weeks in the 13 month period can count towards the work test or not. That way if I work out how many hours I have worked so far an subtract to work out what the bare minimum I would need to work to meet the test would be and aim to work more than that.

in regards to my self employment. Since I make myself available from 10-5 each Friday do think think I could include all those hours minus a lunch break? And if I have a fully booked day include some extra time?

#4 Jersey Caramel

Posted 22 January 2020 - 04:07 PM

Yes I get what you're asking,  and I think it's only work done in the 10 month period that can count. I'd guess you can pick which 10 months (i.e. the ones with the most work hours) but it is "330 hours in that 10 month period" (see 2nd  bullet point https://www.humanser...rk-requirements)

Edited by Jersey Caramel, 22 January 2020 - 04:08 PM.

#5 MumOfFun

Posted 22 January 2020 - 05:12 PM

Yeah I had read that. And I re read and re read only because I was like if you work all for the 13 months how do they choose which months count in the 10 months. To me I think it’s stupid because if you work 330 hour in 10 months and then have the 12 weeks off unpaid then you have worked the same as someone who has worked the 330 over the entire 13 month period.

Thanks for your reply. I might have to contact Centrelink to clarify. I’m going to aim to work more than I need but I don’t want to have to stress if I don’t fill all my appointments.

#6 SplashingRainbows

Posted 22 January 2020 - 05:20 PM

It’s clear on this website

https://www.humanser...rk-requirements

You need to work for 10 months in the 13 months prior to the baby coming.

In that 10 months, you need to have done 330 hours.

It is explicit that the 330 hours must be done in the 10 months.

#7 SplashingRainbows

Posted 22 January 2020 - 05:29 PM

This also might make it clearer
They don’t care which 295 consecutive days you do the work as long as it’s within the 13 months.

https://guides.dss.g...-guide/2/2/2/10

#8 MumOfFun

Posted 22 January 2020 - 06:40 PM

Ahh so I can’t say I want to count months 1-6 and then months 9-13 it has to be consecutive. Well that would such if you lost a job and couldn’t find work for 8-12 weeks. And we’re only working 8 hours per week in both those jobs.

#9 Lou-bags

Posted 22 January 2020 - 08:38 PM

You can have a gap of up to 12 weeks between work days.

https://guides.dss.g...guide/1/1/p/130

#10 SplashingRainbows

Posted 22 January 2020 - 08:45 PM

that test is for a different element of the rules. It has nothing to do with the requirement that you work 330 hours in 295 consecutive days.

ETA the rules also say you can’t have more than a 12 week gap in your employment. A different element completely.
It is not saying you can choose 5 months of hours, have a 3 month gap then pick another 5 weeks of hours.

Edited by SplashingRainbows, 22 January 2020 - 08:46 PM.

#11 Lou-bags

Posted 22 January 2020 - 09:32 PM

I was responding to post immediately before mine- about someone losing a job and taking some time to find a new one...

But also, that’s not my reading of it at all? You can have a gap of up to 3 months even if you don’t change employer.

Or are you meaning you can’t chose which months count towards your hours?

#12 MumOfFun

Posted 23 January 2020 - 06:57 AM

Lou-Bags what Splashing Rainbows is day is that yes you can have a gap of up to 12 weeks but the 330 hours has to within a 295 consecutive day period. So if you work only 8 hours per week prior to the 12 week break you would need to work more hours per week to make 330 in a 295 consecutive day period.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.