Paris + Italy (before/after or from UK)

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 seayork2002

Posted 20 January 2020 - 12:02 PM

I may have asked this as a possibilty before but we have narrowed it down now

We are goihg the UK in July/August 2021 for about 6 weeks (Sydney to the North of England)

We have been told there should be no extra cost to fly from Syd to Rome then to return to Sydney from a UK airport (or some other vartiation)

So we want to spend 4 weeks in the UK and 2ish weeks so Paris for 3 nights and then the rest in Italy to see Rome, Venice and Pompeii/ Herculaneum. We want to see these things in Italy and could drop Paris if we need too

we are not sure to do Italy (then Paris) then go the UK from there? of go to the UK then go to Paris/Italy by train then back to the UK? so rail pass?

I am hesitant to fly from UK/EU/UK and although we have looked at cruises and tours they are very expensive as we specially want to see these things only

I have health issues which means I have short periods of energy so it helps with me on holidays to narrow down what we want, see that so I can work my energy around this (hard to explain really but this is one trip we are not going with the flow)

Oh and if we can get it cheap enough we are wanting premium economy or a very good normal economy airline - not Cathay Pacific!!! (unless Premium)

If you get to the end of this a big thank you

I have checked out man in seat 61 but trying to think of all options (without paying $12000 for a tour as a travel agent quoted)

Edited by seayork2002, 20 January 2020 - 12:03 PM.

#2 Kreme

Posted 20 January 2020 - 12:44 PM

If I recall correctly you have family in the UK? In that case, and particularly if you have issues with low energy I would go to the UK first and relax with family when you’ll be tired from the flight. Then get train to Paris, on to Italy and then fly home from Rome.

It’s actually cheaper flying into and out of European capitals outside the UK as the taxes are lower.

We recently did a trip flying with Qantas Sydney-London. Then we arranged our own airfare to Rome on Easyjet and flew home Rome-Dubai-Singapore-Sydney, flying Emirates for the first 2 legs and Qantas for the last. We wanted to spend  a few days in Singapore which is why we chose this route. Singapore Airlines flies Rome-Singapore-Sydney but they were more expensive.

I found a travel agent was able to book these more complicated flights at a better price than I could get online.

#3 seayork2002

Posted 20 January 2020 - 12:55 PM

Yeah thanks yes the IL's are in the UK

I like the idea of train to Paris the 3 nights then the train to Rome/Venice but it is the once we get to Italy bit I am thinking is annoying me (the planning not the trip!)

I found a very nice agent but I think she was trying to push then very expensive tour as we only want Rome, Venice, Pompeii bit I am sure the other places are lovely! but I want extra time in these places only

I will talk to the travel agent I met again

#4 SeaPrincess

Posted 20 January 2020 - 01:40 PM

We’ve taken the family to Europe/UK twice now. Both times we’ve flown into Paris, then home from the UK, but not Heathrow. The first time, we took the Eurostar to London and flew home from Birmingham. Last time we flew from Paris to Edinburgh, Edinburgh to London (2 weeks later), then home from Manchester. For a family of 5, the short flights were no more expensive than the train within the UK, and much much quicker.

Isn’t there usually a travel expo early in the year? I booked the Aus-Paris and Manchester-Aus tickets at an expo and got a great price for the time that we were going. DH booked the shorter flights separately and directly with the airlines.

#5 onetrick

Posted 20 January 2020 - 03:22 PM

We did a couple of days in Florence (you havent mentioned it, but it really is lovely- and the statue of David was just brilliant!), then train to Rome. Day trip to Pompeii from Rome (big day, but on a bus so you do get a chance to relax, it's just an early start). If you wanted more time there, you might need to stay in Naples? I think?
I think Paris to florence was where we did the overnight train trip, but we had to change trains at Milan. If you went to Venice, you wouldn't have to change trains and could do the overnight train from Paris to Venice? Not cheap, but saves a night in a hotel as well as travel (plus, it's an experience!).
This was in 2017, so a few years ago now!
Oh! And if you can time it, quite a few of the touristy things in Rome are free one Sunday a month (we accidentally ended up there at this time!). Meant everything was busy, but saved so much money!

#6 littlemen

Posted 20 January 2020 - 05:09 PM

The trip sounds fantastic.

We flew into Rome and flew out of Paris. Our trip was August- September.

We stayed in Rome for a week, then flew to Sicily and made our way by car & train over 5 weeks to Northern Italy. Staying at different towns in Calabria,Puglia, Basilicata, Naples, Lake Como, Milan (weekend in Switzerland), Venice & Florence. We incorporated a few day trips to neighbouring towns also.

We flew out of Florence to London. London was decided after our return flights from Australia were booked. We took the Eurostar to Paris.

We are a family of five. At the time kids were 5, 9, 11 years old and we flew with Emirates in economy. Booked tickets 10 months out.

Have a fantastic time.

#7 QuirkyMum

Posted 21 January 2020 - 06:16 AM

View Postonetrick, on 20 January 2020 - 03:22 PM, said:

We did a couple of days in Florence (you havent mentioned it, but it really is lovely- and the statue of David was just brilliant!), then train to Rome. Day trip to Pompeii from Rome (big day, but on a bus so you do get a chance to relax, it's just an early start). If you wanted more time there, you might need to stay in Naples? I think?
I think Paris to florence was where we did the overnight train trip, but we had to change trains at Milan. If you went to Venice, you wouldn't have to change trains and could do the overnight train from Paris to Venice? Not cheap, but saves a night in a hotel as well as travel (plus, it's an experience!).
This was in 2017, so a few years ago now!
Oh! And if you can time it, quite a few of the touristy things in Rome are free one Sunday a month (we accidentally ended up there at this time!). Meant everything was busy, but saved so much money!
We stayed in Naples for Herculaneum and Pompeii but it turned out a train ( very fast one too!) from Rome only takes one hour to get there so a day trip to just Pompeii for instance is totally doable.
OP, I'd check bus Vs trains. You don't need to book a tour to get there really.
OP, if you are happy to skip Venice, then I'd do UK -  train to Paris, then fly to Rome - fly to Dubai/Abu Dhabi - Sydney.
I love trains in Europe but training to and from Venice, well, it takes a lot of time. Trains aren't that fast ( between Venice and other destinations) and Venice is quite far away from Rome too.

#8 Lady Monteagle

Posted 21 January 2020 - 07:30 AM

We've just returned from a trip of similar length with similar set-up: visiting family in Europe and also wanting to see other places.

Last time we did this, we did the open-jaw 'big flights', so landed in family-country, stayed with them, caught trains to other places, flew back to Sydney from latter destination.  

However this time we did it differently, and I preferred it: stayed with family, left our giant suitcases with them, and took short return side-trips to other places, by both train & plane.  A big benefit was that we could just take small luggage on our side trips.  Some intra-Europe travel we booked before we went, some we made up when got there.  (Much easier when you're staying with family so have a proper 'home base' to work from.)  

Our other Big Learning from this latest trip is that we will now avoid the budget European airlines like the plague.

#9 Indi

Posted 24 January 2020 - 06:13 PM

We did Italy, Salzburg, Paris and UK last September/October.  Flew into Rome and out of Gatwick with train travel around Italy, to Salzburg, Paris and Eurostar to London.  We used mainly Airbnb for accommodation and seat61 for train advice.

We researched where we wanted to go, would not have paid for a tour when independent train travel is just so easy.  Don't do a rail pass; plan where you want to go and book train tickets early, it's way cheaper. Rail pass is only good if you don't really know what train you'll be catching and need the flexibility.

#10 Dianalynch

Posted 24 January 2020 - 06:46 PM

We stayed in Rome for a week and did Pompeii as a day trip, much easier than changing hotels (for me)

I would catch train from Paris to Milan then on to Venice, then Florence then Rome.

#11 ExpatInAsia

Posted 24 January 2020 - 08:51 PM

We flew into London and out of Rome. Wasn’t much extra and meant we did not have to backtrack.

Took the Eurostar to Paris, then flew CDG to Naples. Then took the train around Italy. Was all very easy with children in tow.

#12 carls888

Posted 30 January 2020 - 06:02 AM

For your dates I would fly into Italy as you will miss Ferragosto. It starts mid August and everyone leaves for the sea. It can be a crazy time, depending on where you choose to be. Also, it gives the UK a bit more of a chance to warm up... :rofl:

Edited by carls888, 30 January 2020 - 06:02 AM.

#13 Stuffed Olive

Posted 30 January 2020 - 10:04 AM

^^^ This. I would go to Italy first, as July may be slightly less hot and crowded, especially at the beginning of the month.

Another thing I would consider is the school holiday timing in the various places.  If you are planning to stay with relatives / friends in the UK, you may as well be there during the holidays, when accommodation and car hire is more expensive and less flexible.

#14 seayork2002

Posted 30 January 2020 - 10:15 AM

Thanks everyone

Thinking more I am starting to think of Syd-Rome then doing what we do in Italy then train to Paris for the 3 nights then train to North East England.

Then at the end of trip flying back from the UK

#15 eachschoolholidays

Posted 30 January 2020 - 06:51 PM

I always like finishing in Rome. It’s my favourite place in Europe. I eat gelato and pasta and cheese for a few days. I drink copious amounts of coffee and wine. I wander through some new sites and some old favourites, and I stock up on dry pasta and carnaroli rice to bring home.  

Even the kids are keen to finish each trip in Rome. They have become expensive little foodies...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.